worst class to use for jumping puzzles?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Whoopmeister.7493

Whoopmeister.7493

as the title says ,
i have found the norn to be the worst so far , he cant jump some of the easiest cos of his huge fat kitten img src="/include/images/smilies/sad.png" />

Dont expect forums staff to do help its not there job !!!!

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

I haven’t played a Norn yet, but I can tell you for sure that jump puzzles with a Charr is a total nightmare.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

That’s race, not class :P
And yeah, Norn and Charr are a pain in certain jumping puzzles because the camera goes insane when youre stuck in the close quarters they require. Like the one under LA.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I’ve done every jumping puzzle in the game on a max size Charr. Honestly, it barely matters at all.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I’ve done every jumping puzzle in the game on a max size Charr. Honestly, it barely matters at all.

You have a rare oneness with your spatial awareness. Anything bigger than an average sized human is a pain in the backside for me.

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

My first character was a Charr. I got real good at jumping with her. To be honest, after all that Charr jumping, I find Asura to be the most difficult to jump with.

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Panzen.4625

Panzen.4625

Charr is kind of annoying because they switch to running on all four legs. Then their hitbox doesn’t really fit their animations… on most jumping puzzles you can just shoot/slash at the open air to get some seconds of guaranteed 2-legged movement. But for the clock tower it was pretty horrible.

As for classes… some classes got abilities that allow you to make jumping puzzles easier or even “cheat” on them (engineer jump shot, mesmer blink).

Rising Dusk.2408

You have a rare oneness with your spatial awareness. Anything bigger than an average sized human is a pain in the backside for me.

I think what really helped me was learning the nuances of the camera. With the exception of really bizarre jump puzzles like Troll’s End, there is almost always a special way you can angle your camera to get a better feel for where you are coming from and where you will land after a jump.

That said, if you’re still having trouble, you could always use one of those Ascalonian tonics or the Plush Griffin tonic. They make exceptional jump puzzle helpers for big characters that need the assistance.

Charr is kind of annoying because they switch to running on all four legs. Then their hitbox doesn’t really fit their animations… on most jumping puzzles you can just shoot/slash at the open air to get some seconds of guaranteed 2-legged movement.

For my Charr, I run JPs with my weapons drawn to keep them standing up. It helps you normalize exactly where they are in most cases. Sometimes it doesn’t matter, of course.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Warrior I’m finding to be much harder than my other characters for no other reason than the lack of a 25% movement speed option. Just have so much more control when you move 25% faster and none of the jumps feel like a near miss. I imagine Guardian would be just as bad since they also don’t have a movement buff.

Rising Dusk.2408

Guardians have easily-achieved 100% swiftness duration. Warriors can come pretty close, or they can use a banner and have it no problem.

Posted by: tasaunders.3746

tasaunders.3746

Warrior I’m finding to be much harder than my other characters for no other reason than the lack of a 25% movement speed option. Just have so much more control when you move 25% faster and none of the jumps feel like a near miss. I imagine Guardian would be just as bad since they also don’t have a movement buff.

Guardians have the ‘Retreat!’ shout and if they use a staff, they can throw down a group speed buff.

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

True. And a Warrior can use various options as well. Still doesn’t beat a passive 25% movement buff you don’t need to worry about.

Posted by: Tinboy.7954

Tinboy.7954

Charr is terrible with jumping puzzles especially in close quarters. Your camera is like having a seizure in tunnels and you can’t even tell where you are jumping towards.

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

Couldn’t tell you. A lot of people seem to think the Charr are horrid for jump puzzles, but I do just fine. I can rapidly do them as my main character, a Charr, and if I fall it’s likely because I jerked, day dreamed or was tagged by an enemy below.

Since some people are getting into class because of the misunderstanding. Might as well as say that any class that has a natural speed boost is going to do better than the ones who access those boosts through buffs/boons/elixirs etc.

I can tell you that during event jump puzzles, Charrs and Norns need to take their armor off. It’s just common courtesy.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

A mesmer with Signet of Inspiration.
Nothing like a random burst of speed to make things interesting …
Mesmer also has neither +25% movement speed signet or easy and reliable access to swiftness or leap skills.

As for race, it was an issue in the beginning but after playing every race and a range of sizes it doesn’t really matter that much anymore. Maybe it’s because I only have one asura but I find the lower angle with an asura more problematic than on a tall Norn/Charr.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: CorruptedSave.2570

CorruptedSave.2570

Norn/Charr Warrior. I have a harder time on my Norn.

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Charr is worst, asura is best

Asura for life <333

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Charr is horrible. Asura is equally horrible to me because they always jump much further than I expect them to, so I overshoot, and the camera is set really low. I’ve had the least problems with my max height Sylvari and my average height human.

Engineer is the best class I’ve found. Easy speed boosts and jump shot. Jump shot is not always reliable however, such as if you hit the ceiling or an overhang (oh my god troll’s end) or if it makes you overshoot and fly off the other side for no explicable reason.

Posted by: Donaga.3980

Donaga.3980

Norn is best imo, you don’t have to worry about small places to land on because of the big hit box (borderlands jp where you drop down the branch after first chest). An asura character gave me a much harder time.

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Any Charr/Norn.

Norns are too tall which gives you severe camera issues, Charr are too… awkward. Its is difficult telling where exactly they’re gonna land because they pull their feet behind them mid-jump.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Norn is best imo, you don’t have to worry about small places to land on because of the big hit box (borderlands jp where you drop down the branch after first chest). An asura character gave me a much harder time.

Your theory is wrong. They all have the same hitbox. Im an asura and i can stand like 1 meter of cliff, floating in the air because of the hitbox is bigger than the asura itself

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

Since the discussion is more around race than class I will say my way too big what was I thinking Norn warrior has been the hardest for me. I don’t have nearly as many camera issues on any other character I have including my Charr. At least half of the JP’s I’ve done with the camera rapidly zooming in and out, bouncing off of every piece of environment, or from the inside of my character model’s head. I find humans and Sylvari to feel the most natural though.

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

Well the best class is definitely engineer! With the rifle #5 class (jumpshot) you can cheat

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

I think what really helped me was learning the nuances of the camera. With the exception of really bizarre jump puzzles like Troll’s End, there is almost always a special way you can angle your camera to get a better feel for where you are coming from and where you will land after a jump.

Echoing this… I’ve found for a number of vistas and JP that I’ve done that it’s as much about looking at the right angle to get the right timing as it is about hand/eye coordination.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

All the classes, without any speed boons, move at the same speed and jump the same distance. This is why a full sized norn looks like it’s running slow motion, like it out of a Baywatch starting sequence, and an Asura looks like it actually running fast. The animation is probably based on the speed an average sized human in the game runs.

Asura is by far the easiest for jumping puzzles simply because it’s the smallest and gives you best field of view. I’ve done all 45 jumping puzzles and the Christmas one. All puzzles are generally spaced for normal speed movement…this is very important. Using a speed boon will usually make them more difficult and cause more overshooting, especially for jumping on small targets such as Codler’s Cove in Timberline Falls or where speed control is very important, such as the Skipping Stones puzzle.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Posted by: Selkie.3854

Selkie.3854

I dont know if it’s just because I WANT to do all the puzzles with my main (who’s asura) but I have real difficulty doing any with another race. I like being able to see around him really easily in tight spots when the camera bugs out.

Posted by: MLieBennett.9031

MLieBennett.9031

Worst Class to use for Jumping Puzzles?

Mesmer.

Lack of Passive Speed Bonus, Swiftness you have to move through on a lengthy CD, and even a lack of a leap are not the reason why to claim the Mesmer is the worst class to sue for jumping puzzles.

Its the fact everyone ELSE will look to you to do the puzzle, and expect you to be a master at it, and waits for a portal.

YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN’T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?
- (Death, Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

Pretty much all professions have a way to get swiftness, and you don’t need to have a permanent movement increase… most can get swiftness when you really need it, and the ones who have any leap attack are even better.

I’ve gone out of the map countless times with my Guardian when the game launched, thinking there would be some secret or something just to find the “void” beyond the map…

In this regard, I call Guardians and Warriors the best professions you can get for jumping puzzles.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

A max sized male charr guardian with full heavy armor from Sorrow’s Embrace…while chilled and crippled.

Attachments:

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Race for me Asura is best since for some reason i am able to gauge jump distance best when using. Charr is worst for me for the same reason that i am least able to judge where it will land.

Class for me Mesmer is best since i am not really a good jumper and having a safety net really helps. Ranger is worst here not because it is bad but that the other classes are better but the difference is quite insignificant.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Norn and Charr, worst is Charr as the cameras bug badly with them.

Best by far obviously is Asura..

The fact you cannot permanently stow pets makes rangers of all types a nightmare in jump puzzles..