wow they made some interesting changes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Over the weekend I noticed that in particular the Abominations have some new tricks up their sleeves.
Anyone else seen any other MOBs doing new stuff?

I find it interesting and fun myself even though when I first got hit with the new stuff I was totally caught off-guard

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

them charging you? I noticed that too didn’t know when that was added, but it makes them easier to avoid now. kinda like a bull – you dodge once and it’s 100 feet behind you before it can stop.
it’s good to have different mobs have different skill sets.

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

i noticed them too thought maybe id missed something before. thought it was my day for noticing strange stuff. cant seem to recall but i noticed about four different things the ai did different.guess its a relief i thought maybe i should see my doctor about the hallucinations

Posted by: Kingfisher.7213

Kingfisher.7213

(Edit: misread post, thought reference made to other MMO)

(edited by Kingfisher.7213)

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

They also “slightly” buffed CoF P1….becuase there are things in there that down me now and I havent been in a downed state on CoF in a very long time. Not sure if they just upped damage.

Also, there are veteran skills at penitent that now more or less one shot me, including the veteran chicken “egg shot skill” which has hit me for 9.5 k damage.

But amazingly, none of these changes were in the patch notes…sigh.

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Just another example of them ruining their own game. In Shelter/Penitent there are now Champion Wraths that one shot you from across the map. This game used to be fun to play, I find myself playing less and less all the time. They seem to do the exact opposite of what the players want.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

They seem to do the exact opposite of what the players want.

I’ve been reaching the opposite conclusion from you. IMO they are doing what players I know want.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Just another example of them ruining their own game. In Shelter/Penitent there are now Champion Wraths that one shot you from across the map. This game used to be fun to play, I find myself playing less and less all the time. They seem to do the exact opposite of what the players want.

Players want to farm Pent/Shelt 24/7? Players want DEs that never fail? Huh? Guess I am not a player ;_;

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

It’s interesting that you use the word “interesting”.

I bring this up because in ANetese, interesting actually translates to MORE HITPOINTS AND CROWD CONTROL ABILITIES REGARDLESS OF HOW ANNOYING AND NOT FUN THESE THINGS ACTUALLY ARE.

Take for example, the new and more interesting Ascalonian Catacombs. They are more interesting because the Spider Queen has more hitpoints (and bogus OP attacks), the ‘trash’ gravelings now spam knockdown, and the boss fights takes longer not because the mechanics are more involved, but simply because the bosses have more hitpoints. I suspect all this interesting that got added is why the dungeon went from easily the most popular, especially with newer players or players leveling up alts, to one of the least popular, and effectively off limits to new players not in a mega guild of people willing to carry them and rez them every couple of minutes.

Or take the changes to the krait that made them more ‘interesting’. They can pull, knockdown, cripple, immobilize, and do so very readily and seemingly without any rhyme or reason to how often these abilities fire off. Oh, and they also have more hitpoints. The krait raid in Sparkfly Fen has gone from a nice distraction while waiting for Teq to near certain death for non-tank builds, especially if enough people are hanging about to trigger upgraded krait.

I’m so looking forward to the rest of the mobs being made more ‘interesting’ since if there is one thing I absolutely maternal parent juvenile felining enjoy, it’s watching my character lie helplessly on the ground slowly being ground away while I can do nothing to fight back.

At the moment, there is still enough to do that doesn’t involve ANet’s attempts to make things more ‘interesting’, but I am a bit worried about the future.

p.s. Here’s my constructive part: QUIT DOING IT. Interesting is not make fights drag out by adding hitpoints or making it impossible for players to, you know, actually play. Interesting is bosses with different mechanics, activities other than combat, etc., none of which drags on because at the point where the players have shown they’ve got things in hand, the fight ends with a dead boss. It doesn’t continue with the players repeating the same sequence of skills, button presses, whatever, another half dozen times.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

The changes to the Abominations were introduced in the 30 April update. This update also introduced the vet risen chicken ‘egg’ attack. These were ok, at least the vet chicken’s attack you can avoid.

The champ wraith’s now appearing at shelter were stealth introduced the other weekend (4/5 May) during the flurry of updates and fixes. These are a different issue, and very OP’ed.

Anet is aware of these and other OP’ed champs appearing in other events in Orr. I suspect these will be ‘fixed’ in the update later today.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

I’ve been reaching the opposite conclusion from you. IMO they are doing what players I know want.

Whack in temporary content and break Orr. Not sure many players would have had that top of their wanted list in all honesty..

Each pillar of the game has major, major fundamental issues at the moment. ANET is doing little to nothing to address these and is instead papering over the cracks with temporary content and shinies. Which in fairness seems to be distracting a few players.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Whack in temporary content and break Orr. Not sure many players would have had that top of their wanted list in all honesty..

Each pillar of the game has major, major fundamental issues at the moment. ANET is doing little to nothing to address these and is instead papering over the cracks with temporary content and shinies. Which in fairness seems to be distracting a few players.

I don’t think Orr was “broken” unintetionally. I think Orr was broken as it was, because people just stayed there all the time and did nothing else. That wasn’t good for the game anyway. It certainly ruined Orr for me when I first got there. I don’t want to be in a mob of a zillion people trying to tag as many things as I can to get event credit. It’s not my scene. And it’s very likely not the scene Anet envisioned.

Anet is making changes to get less people to do these events. If that’s working, Anet has been successful in that attempt.

Orr shouldn’t be the only part of this game people do. By taking away its profitability, Anet is making a positive change in the game over all…even if some people are unhappy with it, and even if some people leave over it.

kokiman.2364

I don’t think Orr was “broken” unintetionally. I think Orr was broken as it was, because people just stayed there all the time and did nothing else. That wasn’t good for the game anyway. It certainly ruined Orr for me when I first got there. I don’t want to be in a mob of a zillion people trying to tag as many things as I can to get event credit. It’s not my scene. And it’s very likely not the scene Anet envisioned.

Anet is making changes to get less people to do these events. If that’s working, Anet has been successful in that attempt.

Orr shouldn’t be the only part of this game people do. By taking away its profitability, Anet is making a positive change in the game over all…even if some people are unhappy with it, and even if some people leave over it.

Yeah you are right, but they still seem to do nothing about the CoF problem :/

GuildWars 2

bri.2359

And just where in game are we supposed to go?? Do some mid-level buggy DE’s with worse rewards?? There is no other PvE end-game areas/content for lvl 80’s …

I would ok with what Anet is doing in Cursed Shore IF there was something else to do, but there isn’t …

Gandara Megaserver

Vayne.8563

And just where in game are we supposed to go?? Do some mid-level buggy DE’s with worse rewards?? There is no other PvE end-game areas/content for lvl 80’s …

I would ok with what Anet is doing in Cursed Shore IF there was something else to do, but there isn’t …

I don’t know about you but lots of people in my guild farm in Frost Gorge sound and a few people farm in Southsun Cove.

I’ve had pretty good luck getting powerful blood in Southsun cove, which you can sell for whatever T6 mats you need. In the water I’ve gotten some armored scale too.

Orr consists of 3 end level zones, but they’re not the only end level zones.

Anyway I still get my best stuff in the fractals.

bri.2359

I should add, up until this champ wraith issue, I was fine with the changes in Cursed Shore. Getting rid of the MF leechers was good, but enough is enough.

Let the players who want to be there, carry on …

Gandara Megaserver

Vayne.8563

I should add, up until this champ wraith issue, I was fine with the changes in Cursed Shore. Getting rid of the MF leechers was good, but enough is enough.

Let the players who want to be there, carry on …

I’m sure they’ll change it back once the habit of being there is broken.

Vayne.8563

Sorry, but I want to farm events , not mindless creature farming where DR sets in after 15 min.

Frostgorge has nothing except the Jormag event, and Southsum is so dead it is not worth mentioning

There are event chains in Frostgorge, some of them quite fun. Jormag isn’t the only event in Frostgorge by far.

Southsun is deader and will pick up as they add stuff there, which will start happening soon.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

The veteran or champion risen knights have extra skills too; one bombing run attack that leaves a trail of fire fields and a temporary invulnerability bubble.
I will say that it seems grossly unfair to have the skillpoint in the south of Malchor’s Leap guarded by both a veteran elemental or risen as well as the champion risen knight.

The veteran risen chicken attack is irritating however. As the event in Malchor’s isn’t supposed to be a group event, the egg skill has far too short a cooldown and does too much damage considering. My warrior is in a complete exotic P/v/t set, trinkets and all, yet each egg hits for 4,000 points of damage. And seeing as how the cooldown appears to be somewhere around 1-2 seconds, you burn endurance quicker that you can regain it. If you pull more than one veteran risen chicken during the event, you may as well give up, as the eggs seem to be a little fuzzy when it comes to dodging too. I’ve successfully “evaded” an egg only to still take damage.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

bri.2359

I don’t know about you but lots of people in my guild farm in Frost Gorge sound and a few people farm in Southsun Cove.

I’ve had pretty good luck getting powerful blood in Southsun cove, which you can sell for whatever T6 mats you need. In the water I’ve gotten some armored scale too.

I like farming events, I don’t like mindless running through creatures where DR sets in after 15 min.

As for Frostgorge there is nothing but the Jormag event. I used to farm ‘grawl canyon’ regularly until drops were nerfed and DR increased to ‘discourage’ the bots .. The same with that island to the west. Your guild must like farming all the tufts of fur and rags that constantly drop …

Southsum is so dead it is not even worth mentioning … If this what we get for end-game, this game is in worse shape than I thought. The only reason to go there was for the rich ori and that is long gone …

Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

No, what they did is essentially break Orr and it amazes me that anyone would try and defend it.

If you want to promote people going around and doing other things, you make other things viable and interesting. What you don’t do is have a culling system in place and then add in instagib mobs and wraiths which can down entire groups.

If anyone is advocating “hurr 28k chicken egg plox!!” as a viable design approach for a developer trying to promote players to move on to other things, then it is astounding really.

You could have two sandpits, one is full of toys and interesting objects, the other is empty. Subsequently all the children play in the sandpit full of toys. If you want kids to go to the other sandpit, you fill it with toys and interesting objects. What does ANET do? Well they leave the other sandpit empty and instead stick a landmine in the full one. Great approach!

I would hope that it is in fact bugged/broken. Which given it has yet to be fixed is almost as bad as it being intentional, as it demonstrates quite a significant level of incompetence.

What ANET envisioned btw? Maybe they just envisioned CoF speed runs.

(edited by Fenrir.3609)

Vayne.8563

I like farming events, I don’t like mindless running through creatures where DR sets in after 15 min.

As for Frostgorge there is nothing but the Jormag event. I used to farm ‘grawl canyon’ regularly until drops were nerfed and DR increased to ‘discourage’ the bots .. The same with that island to the west. Your guild must like farming all the tufts of fur and rags that constantly drop …

Southsum is so dead it is not even worth mentioning … If this what we get for end-game, this game is in worse shape than I thought. The only reason to go there was for the rich ori and that is long gone …

Maybe it’s not an end game designed to please farmers, and for people who don’t actively “farm” it’s a much better game.

I’m pretty sure most farmers think that more people by percentage farm than actually do. Farming is not playing a game. Farming is ignoring the game to do an activity you choose to do. I’m glad I hate farming.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Maybe it’s not an end game designed to please farmers, and for people who don’t actively “farm” it’s a much better game.

I’m pretty sure most farmers think that more people by percentage farm than actually do. Farming is not playing a game. Farming is ignoring the game to do an activity you choose to do. I’m glad I hate farming.

Hilarious, in a different thread you defend the farming and say it’s useless to break up the clumps and that’s just the way it is, then here you are saying it’s a good thing to break up the clumps simply because that’s the way it should be and people should be out in the world just playing.

Lol, you slay me. Read here to see the exact opposite of what he is saying in this topic

http://tinyurl.com/blkugbz

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I do not agree. I don’t understand the Orr dwellers either, but it’s something they enjoy or want to do. Why take that away from them when they probably just leave the game because they feel mistreated?
And how fun is a one shotting chicken when you have no way to see who it’s target is, so dodging or acting upon it is impossible. Not to mention the champ wrath that just kills the whole shelter group :/

kokiman.2364

What? It is the best place to farm t6 scales and blood.

GuildWars 2

Vayne.8563

Hilarious, in a different thread you defend the farming and say it’s useless to break up the clumps and that’s just the way it is, then here you are saying it’s a good thing to break up the clumps simply because that’s the way it should be and people should be out in the world just playing.

Lol, you slay me. Read here to see the exact opposite of what he is saying in this topic

Actually clumping and farming are two completely different things. Disagreeing with what I say is one thing. Deliberately misreprenting what I’m talking about is quite another. I feel really bad that you felt you had to go here.

I’m talking about having people grouped around a series of events and activities, planned for that, so that it’s easy to let say find groups. Such as the MF, which is temporary content. Because everyone is doing it, it’s quite easy to find groups.

I’m not talking about running the same content over and over and RUINING it for other people who want to do it honestly, as I’ve said in other threads. I’ve never EVER been for the dragon events the way they are now, because they’re pointless, except for getting people into an area to do other events. But I haven’t commented on those events themselves, and you’d be well to actually ready what I say.

I’ve said several times that getting people playing in the same areas is quite positive, where as farming an area to the point where people can’t play it is another matter. I can like to have people where I’m playing and recognize that too many people in an area is bad.

But that is why the Living Story used entire zones. Why the daily uses entire zones. When combined with the meta events in those areas they get people playing in the same areas.

I’ve just lost a whole lot of respect for you. Taking stuff out of context to try to make a point is not a good look.

Posted by: Drew.1865

Drew.1865

Actually clumping and farming are two completely different things. Disagreeing with what I say is one thing. Deliberately misreprenting what I’m talking about is quite another. I feel really bad that you felt you had to go here.

I’m talking about having people grouped around a series of events and activities, planned for that, so that it’s easy to let say find groups. Such as the MF, which is temporary content. Because everyone is doing it, it’s quite easy to find groups.

I’m not talking about running the same content over and over and RUINING it for other people who want to do it honestly, as I’ve said in other threads. I’ve never EVER been for the dragon events the way they are now, because they’re pointless, except for getting people into an area to do other events. But I haven’t commented on those events themselves, and you’d be well to actually ready what I say.

I’ve said several times that getting people playing in the same areas is quite positive, where as farming an area to the point where people can’t play it is another matter. I can like to have people where I’m playing and recognize that too many people in an area is bad.

But that is why the Living Story used entire zones. Why the daily uses entire zones. When combined with the meta events in those areas they get people playing in the same areas.

I’ve just lost a whole lot of respect for you. Taking stuff out of context to try to make a point is not a good look.

Posting comment after comment as though you are a personal wiki about the mmo industry isn’t a good look either. Posters want to discuss opinions and ideas not have someone post condescending comments as if they are more intelligent or their opinions are more than just an opinion.

Is GW2 a game or a virtual casino?

Vayne.8563

Posting comment after comment as though you are a personal wiki about the mmo industry isn’t a good look either. Posters want to discuss opinions and ideas not have someone post condescending comments as if they are more intelligent or their opinions are more than just an opinion.

Sorry you see it that way. Unfortunately, when people make comments about things that are demonstrably untrue, it’s quite acceptable to post a contrary point of view. You don’t have to read my comments, or agree with them, but it doesn’t mean that they’re wrong.

As a simple example, when someone comments that Guild Wars 2 has more bugs than any other MMO, this is almost definitely untrue, considering the history of the genre. Pointing this out isn’t against forum rules, and you’d do better to keep that in mind.

Anyone who has experience or knowledge has the right to share that knowlege on the forums. Anyone else can disagree if they so desire. It’s called freedom.

The funny bit is, if I agreed with what you believe, you’d have no problem with what I’m saying. It’s only because I disagree that you have a problem.

bri.2359

I just finished reading that entire thread you linked …

Was going to post in it, but I’ve been infracted once already this month, and only half way though May ..

Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I believe that it was Anet that originally referred to these specific changes as intended to make aspects of the game more “interesting”. And, I believe, they did this in response to player comments that the game was too easy.

That said, I believe that it actually betrays a basic misunderstanding of the open world in an MMO. Since the last patch Orr is simply an unplayable mess. I love the L2P posts complaining that DE’s should not always result in victories. Always? Last time I was in CS the temple fights were running well over 90% failures.

I recognize true challenge in games such as Dark Souls as being able to do a post mortem, recognize immediately where you went wrong, and learn to put in the necessary correction and do better next time. In GW2, challenge, apparently, is being alive one moment, dead the next, and having to review the combat log to see you were hit for 30k by some random mob that wasn’t even observable in the particle blur center screen.

This is what most people are complaining about, i.e., not really anything on the the easy to hard spectrum. (That and the champs that spawn more vets than there are players on the field.) Orr hasn’t gotten more interesting or challenging, simply worse.

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

It’s interesting that you use the word “interesting”.

I bring this up because in ANetese, interesting actually translates to MORE HITPOINTS AND CROWD CONTROL ABILITIES REGARDLESS OF HOW ANNOYING AND NOT FUN THESE THINGS ACTUALLY ARE.

Take for example, the new and more interesting Ascalonian Catacombs. They are more interesting because the Spider Queen has more hitpoints (and bogus OP attacks), the ‘trash’ gravelings now spam knockdown, and the boss fights takes longer not because the mechanics are more involved, but simply because the bosses have more hitpoints. I suspect all this interesting that got added is why the dungeon went from easily the most popular, especially with newer players or players leveling up alts, to one of the least popular, and effectively off limits to new players not in a mega guild of people willing to carry them and rez them every couple of minutes.

Or take the changes to the krait that made them more ‘interesting’. They can pull, knockdown, cripple, immobilize, and do so very readily and seemingly without any rhyme or reason to how often these abilities fire off. Oh, and they also have more hitpoints. The krait raid in Sparkfly Fen has gone from a nice distraction while waiting for Teq to near certain death for non-tank builds, especially if enough people are hanging about to trigger upgraded krait.

I’m so looking forward to the rest of the mobs being made more ‘interesting’ since if there is one thing I absolutely maternal parent juvenile felining enjoy, it’s watching my character lie helplessly on the ground slowly being ground away while I can do nothing to fight back.

At the moment, there is still enough to do that doesn’t involve ANet’s attempts to make things more ‘interesting’, but I am a bit worried about the future.

p.s. Here’s my constructive part: QUIT DOING IT. Interesting is not make fights drag out by adding hitpoints or making it impossible for players to, you know, actually play. Interesting is bosses with different mechanics, activities other than combat, etc., none of which drags on because at the point where the players have shown they’ve got things in hand, the fight ends with a dead boss. It doesn’t continue with the players repeating the same sequence of skills, button presses, whatever, another half dozen times.

Welcome to an MMO that has shunned the tinity…

Though, making a tank is easy…it’s making a dedicated healer that’s nearly impossible (haven’t given up yet).

(edited by Phaedryn.3698)

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

I believe that it was Anet that originally referred to these specific changes as intended to make aspects of the game more “interesting”. And, I believe, they did this in response to player comments that the game was too easy.

That said, I believe that it actually betrays a basic misunderstanding of the open world in an MMO. Since the last patch Orr is simply an unplayable mess. I love the L2P posts complaining that DE’s should not always result in victories. Always? Last time I was in CS the temple fights were running well over 90% failures.

I recognize true challenge in games such as Dark Souls as being able to do a post mortem, recognize immediately where you went wrong, and learn to put in the necessary correction and do better next time. In GW2, challenge, apparently, is being alive one moment, dead the next, and having to review the combat log to see you were hit for 30k by some random mob that wasn’t even observable in the particle blur center screen.

This is what most people are complaining about, i.e., not really anything on the the easy to hard spectrum. (That and the champs that spawn more vets than there are players on the field.) Orr hasn’t gotten more interesting or challenging, simply worse.

I was gonna type a thing, and then I saw this and it expresses what I wanted to say better than what I was going to type. All of this.

Especially the AC changes. When in gaming history will players ever say “wow, this HP sponge that drags out the fight sure is interesting”? I’ve never heard a player say that. AC stands front and center of Things To Not Do To The First Dungeon Players Are Likely To Experience.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

I did not misrepresent anything. I linked the topic, let people make up their own minds on what they think you are doing.

And if you lost respect for me because of this, consider that you have done the exact same to others on this forum.