wtf racial skills doing in this game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Why are they so bad and weren’t completely changed/removed in 10 months? wtf am i supposed to do with Avatar of Melandru??? I don’t want to transform into a ********** tree and do nothing else but be rooted for three years per useless skill use! Delete this worthless kitten from gw2 and add useful utilities/elite skills for every profession.

I know most just say “but they’re here just for a joke” well, how could it stay like so when build versatility and useful elite skills/utilities is so low? Wake up and replace this bs we’re stuck with.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: SvenskNavi.9378

SvenskNavi.9378

If you don’t like them, don’t use them. Problem solved.

Nuka Cola.8520

If you don’t like them, don’t use them. Problem solved.

Best answer NA. There’s a difference between not liking something and laughing at how kittenty a skill is. Now if there was just one or two bad ones that’s fine but its like 90% of them are garbage…

(edited by Nuka Cola.8520)

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Personally, I wish that the races did play a role on how you experience the game.

For example, I think that asurans should be able to access more difficult / cramped locations.

I think that Norns and Charr should run the fastest.

I think that Sylvari should innately regenerate.

I agree that the racial skills could be a lot cooler.

Posted by: Eddie G.8731

Eddie G.8731

Personally, I wish that the races did play a role on how you experience the game.

For example, I think that asurans should be able to access more difficult / cramped locations.

God could you IMAGINE the outcry? Nerf this, buff that, this ain’t fair, that’s an exploit…yeesh.

“If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be invincible.”

-Romulan proverb

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

you don’t have those skills in pvp…

and they are not meant to be useful more than professions skills in pve.
although they are nice to try sometimes

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

God could you IMAGINE the outcry? Nerf this, buff that, this ain’t fair, that’s an exploit…yeesh.

Yeah I know, it is unfortunate.

Nuka Cola.8520

you don’t have those skills in pvp…

and they are not meant to be useful more than professions skills in pve.
although they are nice to try sometimes

and who told you that THEY AREN’T SUPPOSED to be more useful? Was this said by the devs team? No. You’re just assuming because they’re THAT bad and completely laughable. What it has to do with pvp i seriously dunno… Would you run Avatar of Grenth even if it was available in pvp? No one would…

(edited by Nuka Cola.8520)

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

they actually said it

edit: what i don’t understand is this rage over skills you can deliberately not use to replace them with other you use… you know there are utility professions skills that i never used and other pleyers didn’t but i didn’t se nobody that angry about it

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Nuka Cola.8520

What? So they’re pretty much saying “don’t use those useless utilities/elite skills and stick to profession specific ones”? Where’s dat link cuz this is completely stoooopid

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

I understand why there are races and racial abilities. It’s to give the game flavor. However there is a fine line you have to walk with them. You need to make them interesting enough to be warranted enough for usage, but not make them so strong that certain classes are pigeon-holed into taking certain races.

I remember I played in the Rift beta. I was on the Defiant side and like everyone was rolling the Kelari race because they had the best racial ability. Then Trion nerfed the racial abilities into the ground.

Nuka Cola.8520

they actually said it

edit: what i don’t understand is this rage over skills you can deliberately not use to replace them with other you use… you know there are utility professions skills that i never used and other pleyers didn’t but i didn’t se nobody that angry about it

Ignoring those skills is what i did for 10 months. Now my question is, what are those skills still doing in gw2? because obviously im not the only person in this game completely ignoring them…

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

they actually said it

Ignoring those skills is what i did for 10 months. Now my question is, what are those skills still doing in gw2? because obviously im not the only person in this game completely ignoring them…

You don’t know what the meaning of, “Just for fun,” means, do you?

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

Actually, I use “Take Root” quite a bit on my Necromancer. Necro elite skills are terrible >_>

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

I use the Charr racials. I use them when I find the time fitting though which isn’t all the time.
Human racials in particular look more on the supportive/control side, especially the Melandru one with aoe root, knockbacks, condition removal, protection boon, and healing well.
I have a Norn & used the racial elites while leveling and those were fun & useful.

Sounds like you should of looked up racials before making a character if those were your deciding factors. But they are certainly not in any position to be rid of.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Are you kidding? The charr land mine has a 26 and 1/2 second cripple, I couldn’t imagine how that isn’t a little bit OP.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

What? So they’re pretty much saying “don’t use those useless utilities/elite skills and stick to profession specific ones”? Where’s dat link cuz this is completely stoooopid

I’ll try to find the exact quote if it’s still availabe, since it was long before the game was even released. Basically what they said was that the racial skill and utilities were meant to be less powerful than the profession ones, and were mostly to add flavour to each race.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

Personally I find the human elite Hounds of However-you-spell-his-Name to be vastly superior to every engineer elite skill. Supply Crate isn’t bad, but honestly the turrets it drops get destroyed way too fast to be justified as an elite; I’d rather just have a new turret elite that has three or four times the armor of the standard ones.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Mesmers use them a fair bit, our class elites kind’ve suck for solo play – sure people whine about Moa morph, and everyone loves Time Warp or mass invisibility; but ask yourself “How useful are these skills to the actual mesmer sacrificing their elite slot to field one” and you’ll find the answer is “Not much”.

I’d much rather stick Elixir U or Quickening Zepher in my elite slot than timewarp; we pay for these skills party-buff capabilities, by having cooldowns 3 or 4 times longer than their single-target-utility counterparts (In many ways it’s the mesmer’s lot in life to act as a utility-bot for other people – other people who will invariably scream ‘nerf mesmer’ and get you trashed even more come next patch)

As an Asura my D-series golem also has a few situational uses, providing an additional set of barriers for projectile heavy fights like the lava shaman or SE triple golem pull.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Puddles.6385

Puddles.6385

They add flavor. If you don’t like them, don’t use them.

Kind of a weird thing to rage about, don’t you think?

(edited by Puddles.6385)

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Found the exact quote:

“Eric Flannum: Each of the five races has unique skills available to them. Our philosophy behind the design of these racial skills is that they are slightly weaker than equivalent skills determined by profession. While they may be less powerful, the racial skills capture the flavor of each race and provide additional options for the player. For example, a human playing a profession that normally doesn’t have a good way of dealing with conditions could take the ‘Prayer to Kormyr’ racial skill, which removes a condition but is a fair bit weaker than comparable skills provided by a profession specializing in condition removal. By doing this, we hope to give the various races access to skills that make them feel unique without making them overpowered when played as a particular profession. – See more at: http://guildwars.incgamers.com/blog/comments/guild_wars_2_interview/#sthash.YcrZ8DiO.dpuf "

That was on februaru 22, 2010, long time before the game release.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Are you kidding? The charr land mine has a 26 and 1/2 second cripple, I couldn’t imagine how that isn’t a little bit OP.

It’s the range. You know the range for a trap? Reduce that radius by 75%, and you’ve got the charr land mine range. It’s the range alone that makes this useless. We can’t even use a remote or anything to set it off ourselves.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

Give the Sylvari a 3 second stealth instant cast with a 3 sec stealth immunity so that they can nerf their range.

Norn’s beast forms should be on a toggle, but reduce the stats to be less elite, only reason they arent used as often are the huge cooldowns.

Asurans mech suit should be turned into a toggle as well, since for the most cases, the suit hurts you more then it helps you.
(Would rather see these as racial vehicles perhaps in the near future)

Charr should get to travel with their warband, its not like Charr to travel alone anyways, maybe reduce the warband hits and damage a tad and toggle it.

Give humans the ability to truly muster the gods, make it a random boon, ckndition.remover, minor heal with a recast timer of 10 seconds.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Yeah I can see a lot of QQ on that. People complain that others have achievements that they don’t, so imagine having inherent +move speed or +regeneration. No way it’d fly here with this community.

I do agree that not only racial abilities, but most of them (utility and elite) should be looked at and redone.

Nuka Cola.8520

Mesmers use them a fair bit, our class elites kind’ve suck for solo play – sure people whine about Moa morph, and everyone loves Time Warp or mass invisibility; but ask yourself “How useful are these skills to the actual mesmer sacrificing their elite slot to field one” and you’ll find the answer is “Not much”.

I’d much rather stick Elixir U or Quickening Zepher in my elite slot than timewarp; we pay for these skills party-buff capabilities, by having cooldowns 3 or 4 times longer than their single-target-utility counterparts (In many ways it’s the mesmer’s lot in life to act as a utility-bot for other people – other people who will invariably scream ‘nerf mesmer’ and get you trashed even more come next patch)

As an Asura my D-series golem also has a few situational uses, providing an additional set of barriers for projectile heavy fights like the lava shaman or SE triple golem pull.

Mesmer is a bad example because they probably have the most useful utilities of all other classes and have three strong elites for all kind of purposes. To what is available as a human mez, there’s not a single racial specific skill worth using.

Posted by: Sobat.8650

Sobat.8650

They were designed to be weaker than profession skills, but able to fill in small niches that some professions are lacking. Such as the human condition removal skill for professions lacking in that area.

Posted by: Barret.4095

Barret.4095

yea, racial skills are pretty kitten useless. you should see all the norn skills, useless elites that make you weaker and get you one shotted. this kind of destroyed the lore for the races. in gw1, norns were these shape shifting giant warrior hunters that have no need for armies. gw2 norns are kinda kitten lol

“For those whose time and dedication went above and beyond, only to achieve mediocrity”

Nuka Cola.8520

They were designed to be weaker than profession skills, but able to fill in small niches that some professions are lacking. Such as the human condition removal skill for professions lacking in that area.

Okay name me one profession that is lacking condi removal. I know one, mesmer. Will you run crappy Prayers of Kormir (40sec CD for 3condis removed LOLOLOL) over Null Field/Mantra of Resolve or even Arcane Thievery? No, no one would and no one is. Feels like some of you are just defending ‘skill fillers’ not worth a kitten . Its like anet ran out of ideas and just put useless crap and don’t care if people use them or not.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Skills rooting us is mostly acceptable in PvE where most mobs aren’t going to be Kiting us anyway. Plus some of them could become Overpowered in WvW if they DID allow their attacks while moving at full swiftness speed. My biggest problem with the Racial skills however is that they don’t provide STABILITY when they definitely definitely should always provide it on every single Racial Elite to us, or w/e we summoned.

And the Forms…. especially… need to function more like Toggles with short Cooldowns. They saw the light eventually in Gw1 with forms when it came to this method of balancing them (they originally disabled for 120 second :p)… Now they just need to do a similar thing in GW2. Especially in Towns. If I want to stand around Hoelbrak in Perma Were-Form for Lulz-RP’ing , I should be allowed to do that…

This still runs directly Counter to what Anet was saying about them leading up to its Release though. They were very specific that they DIDN’T WANT any classes feeling like that had to have a specific Race for those Racial skills to minmax their Profession Niche. But that’s what happens anyway with some of them b/c they know that taking the race they might really want, will only make them even WEAKER. Try Norn Ranger sometime if you don’t believe it… The elites remove 40% of your DPS by disabling your Pet which also takes away your 2 only Sources of Stability (IE: 1 trait in survival that transfers the KD to your pet, and ROA of course as well). It also disables your Utilities which takes away your Signets of Hunt/Wild/Stone/Renewal that the vast vast VAST majority of rangers depend on in PvE.

(edited by ilr.9675)