"you don't need ascended to play the game"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

You don’t need ascended gear to play the game.

In fact, you not even need to look at your screen to play most of the game as it is mindless zerg outside FotM.

Arah p4 would be in there as well, except it isnt rewarding enough. I’d get far more running CoF1 SE1/3 AC1/3 in that same time (or even less).

Maybe if they fix boss mechanics where stacking and zerker became word of order ascended gear would be relevant.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Honestly, I can count the number of RPGs I’ve needed the best possible stats or gear with me to beat it on one hand.

Post-game content? Mmm, I’d need two hands but the penultimate bonus boss in FF12 was just kind of a long grind.

Hence the issue here: what is the purpose of Ascended gear, from a gameplay perspective? If the content is already easy enough to not require even Exotic armor, then what benefit is there to giving us even more stats? They would have to make harder content for Ascended gear to have even a shred of a gameplay purpose (for PvE).

Then you get into WvW and we have a whole other problem where the people with the most time to grind get the best chance at succeeding. Maybe the difference between Ascended and Exotic doesn’t matter in a zerg, but what about duels? What about small-scale fights? You’ll now have even less time to react to a thief ganking you from out of the blue and even less chance of beating him if you do react correctly.

You could do most of the PvE content in this game naked.

I wouldn’t worry as much about it as you are if I were you.

Sure. That’s the point of the thread: if you don’t need Ascended, then all it’s going to do is make an easy game pointlessly easier, require Anet to create content that the more casual player (or even just the players who hate grind) cannot access, and exacerbate the inequalities of WvW duels.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Imagine all this for weapons only. Wait until armor comes.

As mentioned in the other threads, I dont mind this last tier grind if ascended was easy as or slightly harder to obtain as an exotic. I have 1 of every class and each have multiple weapons and armor. I dont even have full ascended accessories/backpacks on all them.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

And?

So when the some for of gear check content finally goes live it will be you and people like you telling others to kitten off and they had enough time to get ascended blah blah blah

I suggest Anet takes their own advice and give us Guild Wars 2 back and leave Grind Wars 2 to other games.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Honestly, I can count the number of RPGs I’ve needed the best possible stats or gear with me to beat it on one hand.

Post-game content? Mmm, I’d need two hands but the penultimate bonus boss in FF12 was just kind of a long grind.

Hence the issue here: what is the purpose of Ascended gear, from a gameplay perspective? If the content is already easy enough to not require even Exotic armor, then what benefit is there to giving us even more stats? They would have to make harder content for Ascended gear to have even a shred of a gameplay purpose (for PvE).

Then you get into WvW and we have a whole other problem where the people with the most time to grind get the best chance at succeeding. Maybe the difference between Ascended and Exotic doesn’t matter in a zerg, but what about duels? What about small-scale fights? You’ll now have even less time to react to a thief ganking you from out of the blue and even less chance of beating him if you do react correctly.

I personally think the Ascended gear was envisioned with one solution in mind: Agony. It was a concept people thought was cool, they kicked the theories around on how to work it into the equipment without actually making people give up their gear OR clutter up gear with transmutations, extra lines of descriptive text . . .

. . . and someone went “just make new gear with higher stats so people will flock to them” “but won’t that have a problem with upgrades?” “nah, just make the upgrades they can receive weaker to the point they’re there to impart Resistance.”

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: haxi.9038

haxi.9038

lol thats just something ppl with legendaries say

MikaHR.1978

lol thats just something ppl with legendaries say

Especially those who dumped 100$ to buy gems to buy legendaries.

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

And?

So when the some for of gear check content finally goes live it will be you and people like you telling others to kitten off and they had enough time to get ascended blah blah blah

I suggest Anet takes their own advice and give us Guild Wars 2 back and leave Grind Wars 2 to other games.

the only gear check will be in fractals

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

MikaHR.1978

And?

the only gear check will be in fractals

Right.

Posted by: Draven.7210

Draven.7210

“you don’t need ascended to play the game”

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

“you don’t need to post on forums”

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Agaetis.4518

Agaetis.4518

So I did a little test in the builder how much those ascended weapons you “need” to “grind” for really matters. Please let me know if I did something wrong.

- Full berserker warrior without ascended weapons and exotic trinkets:

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.2|7.1g.h1h.9.1g.h1|1.1g.h1|1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7|1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67|u5ab.a1.0.0.u69c|0.0|5x.6d.6e.6c.6m|e

= 6503 effective power

- Full berserker warrior with ascended weapons and exotic trinkets:

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.2|7.5g.h1h.9.5g.h1|1.1g.h1|1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7|1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67|u5ab.a1.0.0.u69c|0.0|5x.6d.6e.6c.6m|e

= 6582 effective power = 1.1% increase in effective power

If you don’t feel you really need that 1.1% increase in damage/or the looks don’t grind for it! It’s not harder than that when you think about it

(edited by Agaetis.4518)

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

1.1% increase in effective power

So… with a full set of ascended armor and trinkets, that’ll be about 10-15% increase in power.

Brilliant.

Zero Day.2594

So I did a little test in the builder how much those ascended weapons you “need” to “grind” for really matters. Please let me know if I did something wrong.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.2|7.1g.h1h.9.1g.h1|1.1g.h1|1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7|1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67|u5ab.a1.0.0.u69c|0.0|5x.6d.6e.6c.6m|e

= 6503 effective power

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.2|7.5g.h1h.9.5g.h1|1.1g.h1|1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7|1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67|u5ab.a1.0.0.u69c|0.0|5x.6d.6e.6c.6m|e

If you don’t feel you really need that 1.1% increase in damage/or the looks don’t grind for it! It’s not harder than that when you think about it

Fixed…

Ascended = 7001.86 (weapons and trinkets)
http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.2|7.5g.h1h.9.5g.h1|1.1g.h1|1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7.1g.a7|4s.0.3s.0.2s.0.2s.0.3s.0.3s.0|u5ab.a1.0.0.u69c|0.0|5x.6d.6e.6c.6m|e

Exotic = 6503.28

~7.7% increase
Keep in mind two things
1. it’s not full ascended set YET (no armor)
2. Don’t think the weapon damage is included? – could be wrong… but ascended weapons should crit for a metric kitten ton more.

Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

“you don’t need to play the game” “you don’t need to level” “you don’t need to get items” “you don’t need to complete the game” “you don’t need to …”

you don’t need buy the game !!

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

“you don’t need ascended to play the game if you’re a pve nerd”

-fixed

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

= 6503 effective power

Anet themselves mentioned the initial VP adding about 5-10% to the power level in the initial slots released. But, the larger misunderstanding is comparing power level 2 to power level 1. Think about the words that make up VP, vertical progression, it’s about an ever-increasing power level of the game. It’s irrelevant whether power level 2 is required for success in a power level 1 world. The power level of the game will increase over time (by definition) and it’s self-evident that at some point the ever ascending power level will matter.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Also, let’s not forget the infusions that will be added to ascended equipment. For now, you’ll only be able to get about +5 power per piece, which means + 10 for weapon set, +30 for each trinket, and in the future, +30 for each armor piece. That makes 70 extra power from weak infusions alone. If someday stronger infusions are added, let’s say, giving twice that amount of power, it’ll go to +140. And this number can go as far as Anet wishes, until they hit ascended-tier infusions someday.

Zero Day.2594

“you don’t need to play the game” “you don’t need to level” “you don’t need to get items” “you don’t need to complete the game” “you don’t need to …”

:D the trolling has started!
i got a good one…
“you don’t need to repost what i said”
and
“you don’t need to Log on to Win”

saying “you don’t need ascended to play…” is true, we don’t need anything…
the fact that this statement is arising is… “we want ascended gear” so we need it because we want it….
why do we want it?

Join the TEEFs!

Zero Day.2594

= 6503 effective power

Anet themselves mentioned the initial VP adding about 5-10% to the power level in the initial slots released. But, the larger misunderstanding is comparing power level 2 to power level 1. Think about the words that make up VP, vertical progression, it’s about an ever-increasing power level of the game. It’s irrelevant whether power level 2 is required for success in a power level 1 world. The power level of the game will increase over time (by definition) and it’s self-evident that at some point the ever ascending power level will matter.

look at the gear…. in his links…

Join the TEEFs!

Zero Day.2594

“you don’t need to name your self Tiger”
“you don’t need to edit posts”
“you don’t need to be on the computer right now”

this stuff is endless

Join the TEEFs!

MikaHR.1978

The increase in damage now is 13%

When WHOLE ascended is released (armor/sigils/runes/infusions) were looking at 25-30% damage increase.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The increase in damage now is 13%

That’s before considering crits. Which are increased as well.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

= 6503 effective power

The increase in weapon damage is not accounted for in the effective power.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

“you don’t need to name your self Tiger”
“you don’t need to edit posts”
“you don’t need to be on the computer right now”

this stuff is endless

Egzactly! In life everything but death is matter of choice. Well even that can be by choice. =/

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

In 1v1s possibly, but if you’re in a 40 vs 40 zerg fight it won’t really make a difference if you have one or two pieces of 9% Ascended bonus missing.

Assuming everyone else is equally geared. If one zerg is 35 ppl in full ascended and the other only has 7 in full ascended, it’d probably be noticed.

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Let’s take “need” off the table for a moment.

What exactly are the long term advantages of NOT being fully loaded out in BiS items?

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Let’s take “need” off the table for a moment.

What exactly are the long term advantages of NOT being fully loaded out in BiS items?

Well, for one, I will have less time spent seeking things I don’t really want in the first place. And I’ll be less sour about having worked for getting it only to discover I’m still just as junk as before I got them.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

You will need Ascended if you WvW. Unless you just like getting curbstomped and giving other players easy loot.

Well that’s just a flat out lie. Rare and exotics will do just fine.

Really, greens will do….
no wait… blues (10% stat increase?pfft shrugs off)…
heck why get blues when whites are just as good as blues ….
meh might as well run around naked…

i honestly think you can troll people so hard with
“you don’t need to….”

“you don’t need to play the game”
“you don’t need to level”
“you don’t need to get items”
“you don’t need to complete the game”
“you don’t need to …”

quite frankly, “you don’t need to” do anything at all, game or life.

LOL laughed at this because that’s how I treat these arguments as troll responses to people pointing out design flaws.

OP I see the opposite they are about to come out with annoying mechanics to make the world bosses harder and once they revamp the entire game with these mechanics without fixing the inherent issues in PVE combat and the imbalance issues that are still present after a whole year, the armor and weapons will most likely be needed to make it possible to survive these encounters instead of the trivial process we’re seeing. So the argument they present us with when they are arguing that the gear treadmill is a myth is doubly false due to the upcoming proposed changes that will require higher tier gear to survive which will most likely once again cut off the new players or disenchant them when they realize the sheer amount of grind that awaits them.

They are further harming the crafting community even more who’ve spent all this time reaching 400 on their skills by requiring yet another series of grinds to get to yet another max. (the harm they caused the crafting community before was when they were focusing too much on the mystic toilet to allow the better gear items to be made without skill but with simple luck).

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)