you need to stop anet...

you need to stop anet...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: xBrutalityx.3507

xBrutalityx.3507

ever sense HoT this game has been going in the opposite direction it started out as. everything new in game is account bound and requires grinding maps endlessly… I should be able to purchase this new legendary accessory. stop making all this stuff account bound what is the porpose of having gold in this game if I can’t use it?? please stop going down this path of grinding for fashion this is ridiculous… I sugjest making auroa tradeable please . not everyone wants to spend weeks grinding these stupid collections. thank you.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Grinding? what grinding? I have played since Beta almost every day and have had to do no grinding. I enjoy the game quite a bit and play it a lot. Liked it when it came out and I still like it.

This is just your personal opinion, that is all it is. Just as this is my personal opinion. No one can speak for anyone else but themselves.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Is it good for the game if everything is purchasable from the BLTC (gem shop or tp)? Lots of players feel their accomplishments are devalued if money can be used to skip participation, dedication, and (occasionally) skill.

If you don’t want to ‘grind for fashion’, you have options. There are several auras available as jewels (slotted into accessories) and more available as infusions (slotted into any ascended gear except amulets).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I maybe have problems with the amount of materials…

But I condone the the account bound status fully. I am glad all non vanilla legendary stuff is no longer tradable.If I see myself using bolt, bolt, rodgort and kudzu I allways think someone can just buy all this.

Nevermore on the otherhand has to be farmed. legendary armor? Ad Infinitum?

It must be my doing, cause I could not have bought it.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

Agreed. If all someone wants to do is run fractals or dungeons or pvp, they should be able to use the gold they earn there to buy items from other parts of the game that they don’t want to play

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

In my opinion legendaries and other high value things should always have been account bound.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

Agreed. If all someone wants to do is run fractals or dungeons or pvp, they should be able to use the gold they earn there to buy items from other parts of the game that they don’t want to play

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Yeah, no.

Legendary items should stay the way they are as the provide long term goals and get people to transition between multiple modes of play to acquire the items they desire. The credit card wars method is dull and devalues the effort of the players to craft/create said items.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Westenev.5289

Westenev.5289

Shrugs

Personally, I’d much prefer if legendaries were kept as long-term goals, rather than the norm. Asking people to sample different areas of the game isn’t that big of an ask, and if you keep an open mind, you might just enjoy it.

There’s no rush to get the item; just take your time and don’t burn yourself out.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

I’d like a lot of new things too, but would I rather buy them? no. I actually enjoy playing the game and investing time to earn them. Only down side right now is I have a scarcity of free time due to demanding work hours.

It’s all called progress, a little bit each day. It’s no different than getting a child a new toy, sure he’ll like it for awhile, but grow bored of it eventually. Don’t be him.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Legendary items should be account bound. They are supposed to be legendary. They aren’t, if you can just buy them off the tp. That said, I DO think they are account binding too many things. I really wish more mats and things were tradable on the tp and not account bound. Don’t always have time to go around grinding for things and it would be nice to pick up some of these mats from the tp. Recipes, mats and basic things should be generally tradable.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

There is no grinding in GW2.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Is it good for the game if everything is purchasable from the BLTC (gem shop or tp)? Lots of players feel their accomplishments are devalued if money can be used to skip participation, dedication, and (occasionally) skill.

You don’t think it required the same qualities (participation, dedication, and (occasionally) skill) to amass thousands of gold? Sure some people might purchase gold, but a lot of people get gold the same way they would get a Legendary. It would be nice to be able to play the way I want and still get the item I want. Not talking about easy mode but do the things I like in-game. Currently the only currency we have that is gained everywhere and can be used for most things is gold. And it was Anet’s choice to have gold be purchasable. But if you don’t want a legendary to be purchasable, then create a new “overall” currency and let us use it. Even if an item costs 10,000 currency like the Queen Bee, I would still be able to play as I chose to get that currency which would make it seem like less of a “grind”.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

you need to stop anet...

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You don’t think it required the same qualities (participation, dedication, and (occasionally) skill) to amass thousands of gold?

Do I? Doesn’t matter. What matters is how it affects the community and lots of people complained from launch day that legendaries could be traded on the TP.

I’d personally prefer a system in which 80-90% of shinies were tradeable (if only indirectly through their components) and 10-20% exclusive to specific content and skill-based achievements (e.g. PvP tourney winners, top ranked WvWers, Liadri-killers, raids, fractals, and even adventures).

Fortunately, ANet doesn’t make design decisions based on the preferences of a small group of players. On the whole, the “trade everything” crowd finds it easier to live with account binding versus the “trade nothing” contingent, who finds it less enjoyable that the manifestations of their accomplishments are available for a low, low price.

tl;dr it seems to be better for the game to account-bind newer legendaries

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: BlueBoy.1236

BlueBoy.1236

You don’t think it required the same qualities (participation, dedication, and (occasionally) skill) to amass thousands of gold?

Do I? Doesn’t matter. What matters is how it affects the community and lots of people complained from launch day that legendaries could be traded on the TP.

I’d personally prefer a system in which 80-90% of shinies were tradeable (if only indirectly through their components) and 10-20% exclusive to specific content and skill-based achievements (e.g. PvP tourney winners, top ranked WvWers, Liadri-killers, raids, fractals, and even adventures).

Fortunately, ANet doesn’t make design decisions based on the preferences of a small group of players. On the whole, the “trade everything” crowd finds it easier to live with account binding versus the “trade nothing” contingent, who finds it less enjoyable that the manifestations of their accomplishments are available for a low, low price.

That must be the reason why HoT increased gw2 userbase tremendously. Oh wait…

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: BlueBoy.1236

BlueBoy.1236

That must be the reason why HoT increased gw2 userbase tremendously. Oh wait…

you need to stop anet...

Djinn.9245

On the whole, the “trade everything” crowd finds it easier to live with account binding versus the “trade nothing” contingent, who finds it less enjoyable that the manifestations of their accomplishments are available for a low, low price.

Not understanding the “low, low price” reference. I can work 10k hours (made-up number) to physically make a sword IRL, or I can pay someone else whatever they charge for that sword. Either I worked to make the sword or I worked to make the money (in the case of my suggestion to have a new currency that can’t simply be purchased).

People who might be concerned that I didn’t obtain something the exact same way they obtained it are just trying to tell other people how to play. How I play should only be my business.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I prefer the idea that items can be traded.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: xBrutalityx.3507

xBrutalityx.3507

I can understand legendary weapons being account bound. But literally everything new to this game is gated behind countless hours of grinding maps for the achievments. everything. backpeices, now auras…. nothing new is longer tradable therefore the use of gold has no purpose. i own every aura and just about every legendary. I’m tired of spending weeks on google to do achievments to get everything. i enjoy to farm gold, i should be able to purchase new things to the game.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

There is no stopping anet now! The hype train is already chuggin’ along and set to arrive August 1st!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Credit Card Wars 2 and/or TP Flipper Battles.

aka. “The Complainer”

you need to stop anet...

Illconceived Was Na.9781

On the whole, the “trade everything” crowd finds it easier to live with account binding versus the “trade nothing” contingent, who finds it less enjoyable that the manifestations of their accomplishments are available for a low, low price.

Not understanding the “low, low price” reference. I can work 10k hours (made-up number) to physically make a sword IRL, or I can pay someone else whatever they charge for that sword. Either I worked to make the sword or I worked to make the money (in the case of my suggestion to have a new currency that can’t simply be purchased).

People who might be concerned that I didn’t obtain something the exact same way they obtained it are just trying to tell other people how to play. How I play should only be my business.

How you play is your own business. What the company decides to offer as rewards is literally their business.

For the sake of argument, let’s pretend that the “trade everything” crowd is half the population and the “trade nothing crowd” is half. Then ANet has to figure out a balance that leaves most people pleased and as few as possible disgruntled. The current set up is: exotics and below are fully tradeable, ascended components are tradeable, and only a handful of things are bound, all of them cosmetic or convenience items. That gives “trade all” most of what they want and reserves part of the rewards to be tied to specific content or accomplishments.

Is it ideal for me? No, I liked the game at launch better, where there was very little bound. Does it seem to strike a balance across different preference types? Yeah, I’d say so. Would you argue that it’s bad to balance the different preferences of the community? Or are you just saying you think it’s too imbalanced towards gated rewards these days?

(The “low low price” was an ironic reference to the idea that everything has a price — it’s the phrasing that used car salespersons use in the US and a comedy trope. I apologize for confusing my point by using it.)

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I wish they made old Legendary Weapons account bound, if you want one, you do the work to craft it yourself. Precursors are a different story since in the beginning it was entirely by luck which one you got, or variable cost but steerable using the MF as a gear sink. So trade was necessary for them.

But the devs what players to earn rewards that they get through participation in the event that grants those rewards. Buying them for just gold defeats that.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Anet has been catering to the PvE players who grind.

Legendaries that are account bound, PvP to hard. Guess what you dont have to be good at to get Legendary Titles, dont have to win matches to get XP. Wait what getting Xp in PvP to hard, Anet says for you we will ruin PvP.

PvE players say yeah but players still kill us in WvW, Anet says dont worry PvE players. They can non longer show there PvP ranks in WvW and taunt you.

Anet has been really focusing on group vs boss mechanics and destroying fun in the rest of the game that upsets introvert PvE players.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I wish they made old Legendary Weapons account bound, if you want one, you do the work to craft it yourself. Precursors are a different story since in the beginning it was entirely by luck which one you got, or variable cost but steerable using the MF as a gear sink. So trade was necessary for them.

But the devs what players to earn rewards that they get through participation in the event that grants those rewards. Buying them for just gold defeats that.

First generation legendary weapons should have been account bound from the start, but considering they pull it a price of $300US or so for someone to just use their credit card was far too appealing to the money counters. I believe making them capable of being traded pretty much destroyed any prestige they could have had.

There are a number of things in game that are needlessly account bound however. Elder Spirit Residue, Mithrillium, Charged quarts crystals, etc.
There is no reason to lock them down because most of them are simply one step away from being traded. Elder Spirit Residue can be crafted in to Spiritwood items that can then be traded. Ascended gear wasn’t out for more than a couple days before someone had crafted their own after purchasing the required Spiritwood and Deldrimor off the Trading Post, completely circumventing the time gating.
There are dozens of items that are either account bound or soul bound that do not need to be restricted that way.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

>griding didnt exist in vanilla gw2

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Well… the devs had to figure out a way to make content replayable, not just have areas and activities burnt through and never touched again. Anet has done a great job at keeping content relevant and making sure events have enough participants.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Would you be happier if Anet removed the ability to buy gold with RL money and instead charged everyone a monthly sub to make up for the lost revenue?
That way, legendaries could still be sold on the TP, but people would have to work in game to raise the gold to buy them.
F2P games arnt free, the running costs of the game have to be paid for somehow.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I don’t really get why people think Legendary weapons should be account bound so that you cannot trade them, there is very little actual “work” or “effort” that goes into “earning” one. You can just buy 95% of the effort (materials) on the TP anyway, it’s only a collection that takes a couple of hours total that separates the tradeable ones with the HoT ones.

I also do not get why people think it takes away from the prestige of owning legendary items. Well, actually I do get it. It’s because they made the weapon to show off to either those who also have legendary weapons/armor etc, to be accepted in the “club” or to those who do not have legendary items, so they feel they are better than someone else. For those that cannot just purchase their legendary items with RL cash, it is their chance to have something the “haves” may not be able to have, for once in life.

If you built a house for yourself, would your sense of satisfaction and achievement be diminished because the bloke next door just paid for his with cash?

you need to stop anet...

mauried.5608

Its just human nature.
Everyone wants to be successful, and if you cant do that in RL, then you can do it in a MMO.
The obvious fallacy is that no matter what you get for yourself in an MMO, its not yours.
Its always the game companies, and when you leave the game all that you think you have acquired in the game is 100% lost.
And this is part of the reason that some people are reluctant to leave MMOs because of all the time that they have “invested” in the game.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There’s no rush to get the item

In a way, there is. Some of the achieves required for the collection were really hard to obtain before chapter 6 hit, because they required a lot of people doing certain events, and noone was doing those events anymore. And while it’s not the case now, as there’s a fresh wave of people doing the ls3 map achieves/looking for collection drops, in 2-3 months’ time that wave is going to thin out and disappear.
So yeah, you better do the collection now, while you still can.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

>implying some level of grind isnt mandatory for MMORPGs in general

amirite ?

you need to stop anet...

Behellagh.1468

First generation legendary weapons should have been account bound from the start, but considering they pull it a price of $300US or so for someone to just use their credit card was far too appealing to the money counters. I believe making them capable of being traded pretty much destroyed any prestige they could have had.

There are a number of things in game that are needlessly account bound however. Elder Spirit Residue, Mithrillium, Charged quarts crystals, etc.
There is no reason to lock them down because most of them are simply one step away from being traded. Elder Spirit Residue can be crafted in to Spiritwood items that can then be traded. Ascended gear wasn’t out for more than a couple days before someone had crafted their own after purchasing the required Spiritwood and Deldrimor off the Trading Post, completely circumventing the time gating.
There are dozens of items that are either account bound or soul bound that do not need to be restricted that way.

I don’t believe ANet’s decision to not make the original legendary account bound was to encourage gem sales but to encourage dedicated crafters to make them for gold.

Charged quartz was account bound and time gated to prevent gold wealthy players from crafting celestial gear immediately when it was first introduced. Again it was part of the “map participation is required to obtain” philosophy. First in the Labyrinthine Cliffs and later Dry Top.

As for legendary gear, ANet learned a bit from celestial gear and allowed the “basic” T7 mats (bolts, ingots, squares) to be tradeable but the mats used in their creation to be time gated and untradeable. This gave dedicated crafters something to earn income on. This meant the “participation” factor came from obtaining the mats required to craft vision crystals.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

I don’t mind grinding if the gear wasn’t restricted heavily to PvE.

I can’t stand PvE, but I play a lot of PvP and WvW. So that essentially means I’ll never be able to acquire legendary armor and the like no matter how successful or skilled I am in the gamemodes I play.

They could introduce a new set of currency to PvP called Balthazar Faction like in GW1 and let us save it up over time to purchase legendary gear from a PvP vendor and I’d be fine with it.

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

you need to stop anet...

shadowpass.4236

I don’t mind grinding if the gear wasn’t restricted heavily to PvE.

I can’t stand PvE, but I play a lot of PvP and WvW. So that essentially means I’ll never be able to acquire legendary armor and the like no matter how successful or skilled I am in the gamemodes I play.

They could introduce a new set of currency to PvP called Balthazar Faction like in GW1 and let us save it up over time to purchase legendary gear from a PvP vendor and I’d be fine with it.

you need to stop anet...

mauried.5608

Theres lots of things in MMOs that people cant stand, and thats simply because no MMO design will ever please everyone.
But a common type claim thats made a lot is
I want “this” and I want to get it by doing “that.”
If I cant get “this” my way the game is broken and should be fixed.
All this means is that this game is not for you, and you should find another game that meets your requirements.

you need to stop anet...

shadowpass.4236

Theres lots of things in MMOs that people cant stand, and thats simply because no MMO design will ever please everyone.
All this means is that this game is not for you, and you should find another game that meets your requirements.

It’s not the fact that people “want” a PvE specific reward by doing PvP/WvW, its the fact that there aren’t the same level of rewards being offered in the other gamemodes.

No one would complain if they released PvP/WvW specific legendary armor because that gives everyone an equal chance of getting it.

For example, if legendary armor was gated behind an immense amount of PvP/WvW, you’d bet PvE players would complain as well.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

There’s no rush to get the item

In a way, there is. Some of the achieves required for the collection were really hard to obtain before chapter 6 hit, because they required a lot of people doing certain events, and noone was doing those events anymore. And while it’s not the case now, as there’s a fresh wave of people doing the ls3 map achieves/looking for collection drops, in 2-3 months’ time that wave is going to thin out and disappear.
So yeah, you better do the collection now, while you still can.

Could you point out some of those heavy to get achievements?

I’m sure there are, I just don’t recall any.

I took a 8 months break (skipping episodes 2-4 basically) and had no issue whatsoever to finish all the achievements before the last patch hit. All it took me was to redo them which granted was a lot easier now. It was far from impossible before if you tried during prime time.

On topic, I doubt any future legenarys will ever be tradable again. It deducts from their value (being of cosmetic nature and rarity). It’s nice to not see everyone running around with T2 legendarys, makes them more unique. T1 legendarys were basically less desired skin wise than normal skins, not good in a game about flash and style.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

you need to stop anet...

Djinn.9245

It’s not the fact that people “want” a PvE specific reward by doing PvP/WvW, its the fact that there aren’t the same level of rewards being offered in the other gamemodes.

No one would complain if they released PvP/WvW specific legendary armor because that gives everyone an equal chance of getting it.

For example, if legendary armor was gated behind an immense amount of PvP/WvW, you’d bet PvE players would complain as well.

If there was a currency that was rewarded in every single game mode, Anet could make it so there was some way to use that currency to get what you want. Then people could play how they wanted to play and still get the rewards they chose. This could have been gold, but Anet made gold purchasable and some people don’t want others to be able to buy what they want with their IRL $.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

Does it matter to ANET how the items are acquired? Probably not. They would be just as happy if we would all lay down a credit card and buy all the mats we needed instantly as much as if we would play for hours and obtain them organically.

What determines what is Soul-Bound and what is Account-Bound? Gear and materials.

you need to stop anet...

Djinn.9245

On topic, I doubt any future legenarys will ever be tradable again. It deducts from their value (being of cosmetic nature and rarity). It’s nice to not see everyone running around with T2 legendarys, makes them more unique. T1 legendarys were basically less desired skin wise than normal skins, not good in a game about flash and style.

I don’t agree with this position. You don’t see many people with T2 because they are more difficult to make and because they haven’t been around as long. I have many people in my guild who made one T2 and said they would never make another because of how difficult / expensive it was. For the people who don’t have that issue, there is the fact that T2 legendaries haven’t been around as long so there hasn’t been the same amount of time past for a lot of people to have a chance to make them. There are relatively more T1s because they were around what – more than 3 years before the first T2?

I also disagree that “T1 legendarys were basically less desired skin wise than normal skins”. That’s an incredible statement to make lol.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

OP wants to buy the legendary off the TP with $$

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I don’t agree with this position. You don’t see many people with T2 because they are more difficult to make and because they haven’t been around as long. I have many people in my guild who made one T2 and said they would never make another because of how difficult / expensive it was. For the people who don’t have that issue, there is the fact that T2 legendaries haven’t been around as long so there hasn’t been the same amount of time past for a lot of people to have a chance to make them. There are relatively more T1s because they were around what – more than 3 years before the first T2?

I also disagree that “T1 legendarys were basically less desired skin wise than normal skins”. That’s an incredible statement to make lol.

I’m not seeing your counter argument?

Less people make them just means they are rarer, the reasons don’t matter. Thus they have more value.

Second, T1 legendarys are more than half the price of T2 legendarys. For people who want the effect and not the skin (which there is a lot of by now, especially for T1) the players make the T1 legendary, hence the skins are less desired. That is before even accounting for the longer duration they were available which only supports my argument even more.

It’s basic logic really.

You can disagree with whatever you want, the fact remains a lot of players (especially seasoned ones) who own legendarys do not do so for the T1 skins(except some select few which are fan favorites). Those who enjoy the T2 skins make them, others do not. In either case, the T2 ones are and will remain rarer than the T1 counterparts.

you need to stop anet...

Djinn.9245

I’m not seeing your counter argument?

Less people make them just means they are rarer, the reasons don’t matter. Thus they have more value.

Second, T1 legendarys are more than half the price of T2 legendarys. For people who want the effect and not the skin (which there is a lot of by now, especially for T1) the players make the T1 legendary, hence the skins are less desired. That is before even accounting for the longer duration they were available which only supports my argument even more.

It’s basic logic really.

You can disagree with whatever you want, the fact remains a lot of players (especially seasoned ones) who own legendarys do not do so for the T1 skins(except some select few which are fan favorites). Those who enjoy the T2 skins make them, others do not. In either case, the T2 ones are and will remain rarer than the T1 counterparts.

I was disagreeing with your point about T1 being “less desired”.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Could you point out some of those heavy to get achievements?

Did you try to do the SS Pinken achi on mosty empty (leather farm doesn’t count) Lake Doric map? Or tried to solo Ignis and/or Aestus, because everyone that needed it got it long ago and noone was really interested in it anymore? Those are likely most visible cases, but not the only ones.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Would you be happier if Anet removed the ability to buy gold with RL money and instead charged everyone a monthly sub to make up for the lost revenue?

Yes.

I don’t believe ANet’s decision to not make the original legendary account bound was to encourage gem sales but to encourage dedicated crafters to make them for gold.

Charged quartz was account bound and time gated to prevent gold wealthy players from crafting celestial gear immediately when it was first introduced. Again it was part of the “map participation is required to obtain” philosophy. First in the Labyrinthine Cliffs and later Dry Top.

As for legendary gear, ANet learned a bit from celestial gear and allowed the “basic” T7 mats (bolts, ingots, squares) to be tradeable but the mats used in their creation to be time gated and untradeable. This gave dedicated crafters something to earn income on. This meant the “participation” factor came from obtaining the mats required to craft vision crystals.

I don’t believe that Arenanet did anything of the sort with crafting in mind. You can make money with crafting in this game, but it is mind numbingly shallow in it’s mechanics, and for most is simply a source of XP gain.

I understand why charged quartz crystals were originally account bound, but maybe it’s time for some of those things to change.

I’m not completely against account bound items, but for some of the items that have been around for a long time, it would be nice for them to be unlocked. On the flipside, as I eluded to, I think they should change the first gen. legendary weapons to be account bound, and give a month or so warning about it to let people offload the ones they were holding onto for investment.
Alternatively, and more to my liking, I’d rather they simply create a series of achievements with related titles that are only given to people who have crafted their legendary weapons.
You want to blow $400 on a credit card and buy Bifrost of the TP, fine, but if you craft it, you should get a title that you can use to prove that you’ve crafted it at least once.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

you need to stop anet...

Behellagh.1468

Actually around $214 for Bifrost. $400 of gems can be exchanged for nearly 6000 gold. If anything, the exchange rate rises faster than the cost of legendary and precursor weapons so they actually cost less in real dollars today than pre HoT or even LWS1 times.

RIP City of Heroes

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I’m conflicted on this.

On the one hand, these items are unique items of prestige that should only be given to those who have worked very hard for them.

On the other hand, without massive gold sinks like the old legendaries, there’s alot less rich people using gems to gold and as a result everything in the gemstore, including past Living World episodes, gets alot more expensive for people who don’t have money IRL and can only grind gold for it.

One of the biggest advantage of this game is those without jobs (especially disabled people) can still play it without really missing out on anything. But without massive gold sinks that will eventually become something unmaintainable.

And then what of ArenaNet’s profit, which everyone benefits from ?

The old legendaries, and all the cosmetic aura items, etc. serve a very important purpose for the long-term stability of the game. That’s why they rarely drop, to keep them expensive and to keep people spending gold.

Both camps have a hard position to defend …

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Cristalyan.5728

Cristalyan.5728

The new legendary weapons / trinkets being account bound … no issue here – at least for me.
What I don’t really understand is why you can craft only one single item from these HoT legendary? Being account bound means you cannot flood the market with countless legendary items. But why you have no right to craft several times the same item? It is clearly designed for personal use. The crafter cannot turn the item into gold. So, why only one?

For example, despite the high price I want to craft the legendary amulet for all my lvl 80 characters. Why only one? This solves nothing – I still should remember where is the amulet, to change character, to put the amulet in the shared slot etc.

For a clarification – I don’t give even a penny for the skins. When crafting legendaries I take in consideration only the functionality.

you need to stop anet...

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

…For a clarification – I don’t give even a penny for the skins. When crafting legendaries I take in consideration only the functionality.

Same, I just want the stat swapping. Here’s hoping they add legendary items with standard skins that still have the stat swapping functionality. If they were considerably cheaper to craft than a flashy legendary, then it would be a great option, including for those that just want a duplicate legendary for the account bound ones they already own.

Maybe just make a forge recipe that requires 4 ascended weapons of the same type to be thrown in and it gives you a basic skin legendary of the same type. Would be about 280g value to make one then, which is fair imo, or a sink for those with bank tabs full of ascended item chests from fractals and raiding.