in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Firebutt.1495

Firebutt.1495

i want to run around barefoot.

you should be able to hide/unhide your boots

Posted by: Vert.5041

Vert.5041

I think the idea is to add immersion and lore friendliness with the toggle helmet, shoulders, and gauntlets features. The idea being that you’d toggle them off while in town or not in combat.

They’ve obviously failed at this. A better option would’ve been to auto toggle whatever you have selected when you draw or sheath your weapon.

As to your point, I agree…they should just make everything toggle able. We’d have a lot more options with outfits and so forth. Unfortunately we will not these QoL(quality of life) changes at all……………….maybe in GW3.

(edited by Vert.5041)

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I think the idea is to add immersion and lore friendliness with the toggle helmet, shoulders, and gauntlets features. The idea being that you’d toggle them off while in town or not in combat.

They’ve obviously failed at this. A better option would’ve been to auto toggle whatever you have selected when you draw or sheath your weapon.

As to your point, I agree…they should just make everything toggle able. We’d have a lot more options with outfits and so forth. Unfortunately we will not these QoL(quality of life) changes at all……………….maybe in GW3.

If everything was toggle-able, then you’d see a lot of players simply running around in their underwear all the time, even in combat. I doubt you’d get much more immersion breaking than that.

@OP

I do understand shoulders, gloves and helmets being toggle-able. I’m not so sure about footwear though. When you see people go out and about in the world, you’ll almost always see them wearing footwear of some kind, yet you’ll almost never see them wearing gloves or hats unless for utility purposes, or if they’re in much colder (or perhaps much hotter) environments where protecting your limbs and face/head from exposure to the elements is important.

I’d say it would be race or culture dependent though. Races like Asura, Sylvari and Charr already have a lot of clothing options that either expose their feet or render them barefoot. This is probably in part do to their culture, their oneness with nature (Sylvari) or even just the general difficulty of creating footwear for them (Asura and Charr have claws witch often stick out of footwear).

Humans on the other hand, especially those from Kryta, are rarely seen walking around barefoot. It probably has a lot to do with the hierarchy of nobility and the general culture of the humans in that region (though I am admittedly no expert on GW lore). In a way, even in the real world it would not be considered acceptable in most cases, to come to work or go out into a public space like a shopping mall as an adult, barefoot.

I think what would be cool is, rather than making footwear toggle-able (which in some cases would be immersion breaking), they could rather just introduced more options for footwear that catered more to different people’s tastes. Things like sandals, slippers, shorter boots or shoes (especially for males, who have less options for smaller footwear as opposed to just wearing tall boots all the time), or some unique themed options that do allow them to go barefoot, but that still make sense and aren’t immersion breaking (like tribal armor, which leaves you barefoot, but with tribal adornments and paint so it still feels like it isn’t just random).

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

If everything was toggle-able, then you’d see a lot of players simply running around in their underwear all the time, even in combat. I doubt you’d get much more immersion breaking than that.

This is a fear of mine. Would hate to see it.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Can you just remove your boot? Wouldn’t that be more realistic anyway?

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

This is a fear of mine. Would hate to see it.

not like i care much about the topic…but isnt female armor already 90% underwear?

Azhure.1857

not like i care much about the topic…but isnt female armor already 90% underwear?

No. It’s not.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

You should also be able to hide/unhide your chest (I’m pointing to all you medium trenchcoat skins, yes you, and all the light male chest skins that cover as much skin as humanly possible). There’s a serious lack of male skimpy in this game.

Will it happen? Highly unlikely. There’s too much emphasis on female cleavage in this game so it will probably stay that way :-/ and being able to hide/unhide any separate armor piece would be helpful – so that’s even more reason why it probably will never happen.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I’d say they introduce hiding chests and then we can re-examine boots

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Apparently Anet poured cold water on this suggestion a long time back, which is annoying and only enabled a visibility toggle on shoulders and gloves because of clipping issues on some armour sets.

But, as I’ve said countless times before on threads like this one, I would like to see the option seeing as some armours come with some clunky-looking footwear, especially light armour, and many NPCs are already barefoot: Queen Jennah, 67.8% of the Sylvari population, some norns and 99% of Asura.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

It’s perfectly fine for Faren to walk around in a speedo, but we the players are not allowed to even show our feet.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

IMAGE REMOVED TO PROTECT THE SANITY OF THE UNIVERSE

I’m scarred for life now, thanks. I can’t believe you posted that on the forum. Think of the children! Someone show us violent stuff! Quick!

I’ve made a thread before suggesting toggle-able everything. I did argue, however, that if anything seemed appropriate (anything left of the three armor pieces that are not toggle-able) to hide, that it would be the shoes.

(edited by DarkOcean.8746)

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

-snip-

-snip-

I could immerse myself in all naked people no problem. Toggle me baby!

;D

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Azhure.1857

It’s perfectly fine for Faren to walk around in a speedo, but we the players are not allowed to even show our feet.

Sure you are — Just take off your boots.

Posted by: Ominous.7583

Ominous.7583

As a charr I fully support this, As we have gaint cat claws and shoes make no friggin sense.

-Ironcurtain

Posted by: Schneider.8615

Schneider.8615

I fully support it, I love having my light armored sylvari running barefoot. Everyone should be able to without losing stats. You see plenty of Norn NPCs walking barefoot in the shiverpeaks for example.

I think what would be cool is, rather than making footwear toggle-able (which in some cases would be immersion breaking), they could rather just introduced more options for footwear that catered more to different people’s tastes. Things like sandals, slippers, shorter boots or shoes (especially for males, .

To be fair I would find slippers more immersion breaking than doing something as natural as walking barefoot, especially in a game with the theme GW2 has.

DarkOcean.8746

I just had an epiphany while reading the mastery blog.

Make going barefoot a mastery. The more time you spend in active combat (or something such as this) without equipped shoes, the more progression you make.

The same could work for shirts and pants! It would also, ideally, be more difficult to complete these tracks because of the shirt and pants offering a higher stat allocation.

The unfortunate side effect to this is that players aren’t performing at their maximum efficiency in the new difficult group content. Maybe make it where you have to play through the personal story mode without these equipped items, or something. And have your equipment panel locked should you choose to take the challenge.

This will probably not happen, but it’s a fun idea to extend masteries past only “useful” abilities. This would be a cool way to integrate aesthetics into the system.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

How about if the toggles only affected your own screen and not everyone else.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I want tops to be toggle-able. I have had a concept for a female norn ranger, but her look requires her to not have visible armor up top. trying to run her without a crucial bit of armor as a ranger only goes so far before things get too ouchie under the new system.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Firebutt.1495

Firebutt.1495

I want tops to be toggle-able. I have had a concept for a female norn ranger, but her look requires her to not have visible armor up top. trying to run her without a crucial bit of armor as a ranger only goes so far before things get too ouchie under the new system.

Yeah i just find it annoying that i cant make my character look the way i want her to look with out losing vital stats from my footwear. Going for the whole small girl and huge sword look, anime inspired. Being able to hide your top would be pretty awesome too. not to mention changing the color of your underwear would be a plus.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Should be able to hide everything. Even if it’s gem store skins like Secret World has where you can buy a chest piece that makes it so you’re shirtless, or underwear. You can remove your shoes freely though. Secret Worlds armor system is so good~ you can even change your head piece with outfits, unlike GW2, although you could in GW1. Where did they go wrong?

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

More character customization, more Gem Store opportunities. It’s a no-brainer, really.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Barefoot?
In the jungle?
With spiders and toe-nipping dinos?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Ominous.7583

^ Hey people live that way in the amazon and other area’s in real life why not ? At least make anklet like shoes or something though re adding that tribal armor set would solve this issue. I mean how hard would it really be to add a vendor somewhere that sells the armor for karma ?

-Ironcurtain

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

You’re right, Ominous. The people living in the Amazon basin aren’t exactly sporting Nikes or Birkenstocks — good point!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Ominous.7583

I think it’s a good idea it adds some more culture and varation into the game. My guy is a charr for example and I think boots with my giant cat claw feet sticking out look kind of akward and would prefer to just be barefoot with my character.

-Ironcurtain

DarkOcean.8746

I apologize for going off topic without filling out my reasoning to make it more relevant, but I do think The Secret World has an excellent system when it comes to aesthetic preferences such as this. It adds another layer to character customization (allowing the user to go barefoot —not just hide their shoes-- and to go shirtless —for the males--). And, yes, our aesthetic system here is very slightly limited by a pay wall. The transmutation charges can be obtained for free, but not “I’ll change my attire every day” free like in TSW. By the way, I love both games! This isn’t bashing on Guild Wars 2. I realize that transmutation stones are an important revenue stream. It’s just interesting to compare the two game’s “cash shops” to each other.

Besides, walking over flaming coal for no apparent reason is something a lot of people do! I’m sure there are much worse things that could happen than being caught without shoes in the jungle. I’d love to see this (hide boots option) as a reward intertwined with the mastery system (along with other fun/aesthetic rewards).

Really though. Queen Jennah is barefoot. Tons of norns are barefoot (and topless). The human elementalist trainers are barefoot. An option should totally be added down the line.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I think it’s a good idea it adds some more culture and varation into the game. My guy is a charr for example and I think boots with my giant cat claw feet sticking out look kind of akward and would prefer to just be barefoot with my character.

What boots? Those aren’t boots. Charr are stuck in friggin’ socks and open toe sandals. Look like a retired used car saleseman from the knees down. I’d kill for boots that actually covered my charr’s feet.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

And pants! I should be able to hide my pants! I live like that at home, why not in game! FREEDOM

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i dont want those changes at all i think its silly even to not see helmets and shoulders, how will i know when someone’s armor is broken? and wudnt it be more immersion breaking if random pieces of gear flashed on and off when u unsheathed ur weapon?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You want the option to hide your boots/shoes? Isn’t that what Queen Jennah does?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Barefoot?
In the jungle?
With spiders and toe-nipping dinos?

My feet are made of durable wood.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

Besides, walking over flaming coal for no apparent reason is something a lot of people do! I’m sure there are much worse things that could happen than being caught without shoes in the jungle. I’d love to see this (hide boots option) as a reward intertwined with the mastery system (along with other fun/aesthetic rewards).

Wasn’t a guy doing just that in some GW2 release trailer?

DarkOcean.8746

Wasn’t a guy doing just that in some GW2 release trailer?

Yup. As much as I wanted to forget that live action trailer. Yup.

Posted by: Maximum Potato.5923

Maximum Potato.5923

I could totally get behind this idea – not for the boots alone, but for other toggleable pieces too. My friend is going through the game playing as Braum from league of legends, and not having a chestpiece is kinda necessary for that xD

Who’s a good boy? Not you, since you aggro’d the BLOODY CHAMP-

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I agree… I play almost only charr… Most of the shoes just look wrong on charr (with a few exceptions). And most feline-ish creatures do just fine even in the most dense djungle without shoes… even in freezing snow if u look at snow leaopards…

I Think many Asura players suffer from a similar problem from what I’ve read.

Kima & Co

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

Yup most shoes for Asura just have the two outside toes clipping out of the shoe or just being chopped off altogether.