[Complaint] After 7 hours I give up ...

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kalea.9167

Kalea.9167

It doesn’t help that people are bringing their hounds of balthazar along though. Or that you have to wait a minute to go again when you make a catastrophic mistake early on. That does not help you improve. When you’re stuck at a particular spot and you can’t hammer it repeatedly over and over without having these waits in between, it turns what could be a half hour or an hour into four hours.

I’ve done some of the nastier puzzles in the game. I know this isn’t my strong suit, and I work on them until I get it. I don’t mind putting in the time or the effort. I do mind having to sit around waiting and doing nothing while I get cold, and lose progress, or progress goes slowly.

Sure it’s common to have people in your way (the big charr, or the big norn) on a puzzle, but you can generally pause to let them pass if there are camera angle issues. Not on this puzzle, and there’s no leeway for it. I wouldn’t mind so much if the imposed wait wasn’t there. It’s a lot of time thrown away.

You might say ‘oh it’s for ten worthless achievement points.’ But some people play expressly to have a sense of beating the game by accomplishing these, difficult or not. You are also wrong, because it’s not just for achievement points. It’s also for a piece of loot in the chest. The slippers are exotic; so it’s not just bragging rights. It’s a piece of loot that some people are getting because they have good hand-eye coordination and can jump well, and others are willing to put in a dozen hours to get and can’t get because of various things in the way. No lack of effort or willingness to work at it.

There’s a difference between design consideration and fun, and catering to whining.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cyric.7485

Cyric.7485

stuff

It’s not the fact that we don’t want you guys to complete the puzzle, it’s the principle of nerfing things just because you lack the ability to do it. You’re right, it’s not going to affect me one way or another if it gets nerfed or not. But I don’t want this to turn into WoW, where everything is made so easy your unborn child can do it from the womb with a series of well placed kicks to the keyboard.

Not to mention, the puzzle is worth 10 achievement points. That’s all. It doesn’t count towards your Emissary of the Mad King title. It doesn’t give you anything unique, not even the Mad King slippers, which are just an already available skin on a soulbound uniquely named item. You literally have next to nothing to gain and absolutely nothing to lose with this puzzle.

There’s no reason to be calling for nerfs on something that is not impossible or, IMHO, even that difficult to begin with. If you can’t do it, move on… what do you think you’re missing? Watch a video, the entire puzzle is you frantically jumping to broken pieces of clocktower with a miasma of green stuff underneath you. Nothing amazing happens.

Jesus H… 10 achievement points… that’s it.

TL;DR – I’m against the mentality of nerfing something that has no bearing on the game just because Johnny Icantdoit is having trouble.

Losers make excuses, winners make it happen.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

Okay, last thing I have to say on this subject after trying and failing at this for five hours…

First, I understand the people who prefer that it stays a challenge. I know some things should be challenging. However, I disagree with the “it’s just 10 achievement points” mentality, because some people are collectors and collectors can get really anal about missing things that were available to them.

I myself just wanted the achievement, but I’ve given up on it by now. It’s not as important to me as not stressing myself out. I don’t have a disability as serious as some posters in the forums, but I do have a hormonal issue right now that impairs my response time and memory, which really gets in the way of doing this JP. I’ll live.

The three most frustrating things for me, however, were:

- The wait before going in, especially if you fall early on (and I fell a lot early on).

- The camera zooming all the way in sometimes really affected my ability to tell where I was (and orient myself). I’m not sure what I was doing wrong, tried on two characters with distinct sizes and got the same issue, always right after that first cog where you need to wait.

- When I did manage to make it further in, the mist had engulfed the next platform I was supposed to jump on and I would always fail the exact same jump (one that has you jump down rather than up, but not the chest jump where you plummet down – saw it on YouTube, mind, didn’t actually get there).

Everything else was bearable but the last bit – platforms ahead of me disappearing before the one I was standing on – is what made me give up. I’m too slow to get to them on time, and the ones I’m on not disappearing give me a false sense of there still being time to make it – so it’s very frustrating to finally get past a part that had me fall and then not be able to proceed because the next platform is already gone.

That’s about it. I was initially vocal about wanting it changed but it’s okay, for me at least. I don’t really care about finishing it anymore.

I’d like to note, though, that there’s a comment on YT supposedly by the person who developed the map saying he expected maybe 5% of players to finish the puzzle. That’s an extremely low estimate for something that’s supposed to be a holiday event (which imo should be welcoming and accommodating to everyone who actually has time to participate, not just hardcore or experienced players).

I wouldn’t mind at all or even be complaining if this puzzle was available year round. I am curious, though, will it be available again next Halloween? It would be a little less frustrating if so. Gives people some hope of finishing it even if not now.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Joker.5016

Joker.5016

I’ve been failing at this all day… took a break, came back a few hours later. After 10 more attempts…. I GOT IT! Christ sakes this ones a toughy, But it SHOULD NOT BE EASY! Easy Content ruins games. There NEEDS to be content that is out of reach of an “Average” player because if it was too easy, it wouldn’t be nearly as rewarding.

Advice:
- Don’t give up, if you get too frustrated, take a break.
- If you have the “Speed Boosts” from Black Lion Chests, USE THEM. They work.
- If you feel that framrates are an Issue, change your graphics settings to “Best Performance” Ya it’ll look like crap, but it helps. It worked for me.

Hope this helps at all, best of luck!

Lieutenant of Reawakened[RE] ~ Sanctum of Rall

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Redamz.5038

Redamz.5038

I am terrible, terrible at platforming games.
it took me 4 hours to complete the puzzle.
After that I finished it 5 more times… it’s just so fun… in a masochistic, psychotic way. Love it.

That being said, it’s just a matter of practice. What took me 4 hours the first time, now I can do it in 15 minutes, take a break and try later guys, it’s doable.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I am pretty sucky at fast precise jumping myself. I think I spent around 6 hours trying this today, I know a guildmate spent around 9 hours (I was with her for most of it). The muscle memory began to set in, I didn’t need to see that first jump after things assemble to get going … and no, I never made the top. Closest I got was juuuuust missing the jump to the last staircase that faces the clock. Subsequently I never got stably on the grey beam by the little rock.

And I had a blast and don’t know exactly how much time I spent, because I was doing it with guildies, on Mumble, and there was banter and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Yeah, it may be too hard for me. I have slow reflexes and I use the mouse to turn — so the constant right turning takes my mouse off the pad, unless I lift it back over during a microsecond breathing moment. I derped a lot of jumps, and then when I got in a groove my mouse seized up .. but you know, I’m going to keep trying, and IF I ever beat it I will be beyond thrilled.

I am happy something this hard is out there that still feels in my reach if I can just do … one … perfect .. run …

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Galk the Bloody.4629

Galk the Bloody.4629

tried for 2 hours had no fun with it at all and well never do it again, yet another reason to hate my asura mesmer. The other being that mesmers suck in pve in comparison to ALL other classes.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: aekt.9438

aekt.9438

couple tips for those that can’t make it:

1. on the first part before the 2nd part starts, stand on the big cog. if you stand on the rock / small cog your camera will go haywire.

2. on the 2nd part, jump to initial shield, after next rock, don’t try to jump over the bump, take your time and jump onto the bump. After that attempt to stay as closer to the tower as possible (especially with the 4 flights of stairlike rock section, jump to 2nd step then jump right onto the flatter ground)

3. when you come to a part where there’s a single beam with a vertical cog, if you weren’t on the right path to begin with, you already wasted almost 1 sec. If you are then you can jump onto the vertical cog directly. After that should be couple segment followed by a big dive down then up again. If you wasted 1 ~ 2 second before this part on unnecessary jumps, you will fail the dive, doesn’t matter if you aimed right or not because it will just be submerged. After that when you get to a stair that’s attaching to a bumpy rock, if you make it thru, you will have about 3 sec of breathing space.

the rest are straightforward jumping except when you come to 2 closely crossed beam, you have to jump down to the platform with the chest, then the path will appear. Keep in mind that if you wasted up to 2~3 seconds before this part, don’t even bother, you will just jump into the mist.

And watch people’s recording video and see how people made the jumps, there are people who did it without any speed buffs.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Supervillain.8617

Supervillain.8617

Saying “it’s doable” does nothing to alleviate the frustration this puzzle is causing. I’ve been at it a total of 10 hours now, and despite memorizing all the jumps from the videos, running through it as meticulously as possible and avoiding any groups with high norn and charr population, I still haven’t made it even to the big fall in the middle. Partly due to latency, partly due to the fact that I’m a human being and not perfect, and partly due to some major glitches.

Congratulations, you finished the puzzle, just like several others who also felt the need to say so.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

After failing countless times before, I did it twice in a row after I got in a group with neither a huge charr nor a norn in my way. I dyed all my character’s armor bright cherry red so I could see more clearly as well.

edit:

Even though I completed it, I still feel the gas/death soup should be slower. People can try to go as fast as possible if they want to, but there should be larger margin of error. It would also help spread people out more.

(edited by Kasei.8726)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sentinel VX.1392

Sentinel VX.1392

I just did it with my 3 characters with each time getting easier.

The point of this achievement is it is challenging to get otherwise it’s not an “Achievement”.

It does not count toward the “Emissary of the Mad King” so you don’t have to do it in order to get the title.

Sea of Sorrow since BWE.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Wesley.4590

Wesley.4590

It’s already way too easy to get the other holiday achievements, the one that is at least difficult and requires some practice now has to be easier? Keep it as it is, it’s not impossible. And if someone really can’t do it because they are physically unable to eventhough they can play the other parts of the game just fine, well there’s always friends then if you want the achievement that desperately.

in Halloween Event

neon.4863

The point of this achievement is it is challenging to get otherwise it’s not an “Achievement”.

It does not count toward the “Emissary of the Mad King” so you don’t have to do it in order to get the title.

Since this isn’t really about the achievement itself (which I said a few comments back I wouldn’t talk about anymore): that’s not very sound logic. There are plenty of other achievements which aren’t challenging to get and are still listed under achievements.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tank The Lord.4790

Tank The Lord.4790

Yup…. 6.5 hours of trying non stop and I didn’t even get any better at it. I can already tell this is going to keep me from the entire event since I will be there trying to get it til it ends.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Noeh.5960

Noeh.5960

stuff

It’s not the fact that we don’t want you guys to complete the puzzle, it’s the principle of nerfing things just because you lack the ability to do it. You’re right, it’s not going to affect me one way or another if it gets nerfed or not. But I don’t want this to turn into WoW, where everything is made so easy your unborn child can do it from the womb with a series of well placed kicks to the keyboard.

Not to mention, the puzzle is worth 10 achievement points. That’s all. It doesn’t count towards your Emissary of the Mad King title. It doesn’t give you anything unique, not even the Mad King slippers, which are just an already available skin on a soulbound uniquely named item. You literally have next to nothing to gain and absolutely nothing to lose with this puzzle.

There’s no reason to be calling for nerfs on something that is not impossible or, IMHO, even that difficult to begin with. If you can’t do it, move on… what do you think you’re missing? Watch a video, the entire puzzle is you frantically jumping to broken pieces of clocktower with a miasma of green stuff underneath you. Nothing amazing happens.

Jesus H… 10 achievement points… that’s it.

TL;DR – I’m against the mentality of nerfing something that has no bearing on the game just because Johnny Icantdoit is having trouble.

Your point would be valid if the majority wanted this puzzle nerfed. You clearly don’t read before posting though. Most people want the legitimate problems FIXED. That’s not nerfing, that’s fixing problems. The camera is a HUGE issue on this jumping puzzle. Random bits of floating things cause the camera to zoom in to the back of your characters head at all the wrong moments unless you position the camera to the point where you can just barely see where you’re going.
Then there’s people that character block you. You can’t race a clock with precision jumps if you can’t see where you’re jumping from. (Saying just keep trying and you’ll memorize it isn’t a solution..that’s grinding..this game isn’t about grinding.)
That first pause in the puzzle is another major issue. Why would anyone place a pause in a race against the clock? Why would you give the CLOCK the advantage when it’s already so fast you can’t stop moving for a second?
Overall this puzzle has many actual problems. Just because a couple people made it through by being lucky doesn’t mean other people should have to spend hours/days on this puzzle because they didn’t have the same luck.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaon Lowe.7218

Kaon Lowe.7218

Yeah I’m just gonna chime in this is really probably the thing I just outright hate about the event.
I’m glad it’s optional for the meta achievement but it’s really just an embodiment of everything I hate about jumping puzzles, with the added annoyance of being timed. I don’t like jumping puzzles in an online game because accounting for latency is just annoying, and the camera in this game already is a pain more than it’s a help, adding a timed jumping puzzle on top of it is just spitting in my eye more less.

The fact it’s yet another event that supposedly drops really cool stuff I’ll never actually get still bothers me, but I accepted I’m never gonna get lucky enough in terms of drops for any facet of the game. The rest of the events were at least just RNG bad luck, this just feels like your puzzle designer doesn’t actually know how things actually behave in the game proper(like the camera), or he hates everyone.

Also just as an edit I think the worst part is that forced wait at the start on the gear, at least without that knowing what to do I could build some sort of lead to give me a buffer during the unknown parts, but that delay just kills it.

(edited by Kaon Lowe.7218)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Swifter.6451

Swifter.6451

Finally a challenge. Thanks Anet. Now can we have a boss that doesn’t make me fall asleep fighting it, or go afk and leave myself autoattacking.

No-one is forcing you to do the puzzle. Some of you are so mad at it, maybe STOP AND LEAVE? Their is a hundred other things to do.

If the next content patched in is mind numbingly easy (boring) thank these guys.

(edited by Swifter.6451)

in Halloween Event

Kaon Lowe.7218

Finally a challenge. Thanks Anet. Now can we have a boss that doesn’t make me fall asleep fighting it, or go afk and leave myself autoattacking.

No-one is forcing you to do the puzzle. Some of you are so mad at it, maybe STOP AND LEAVE? Their is a hundred other things to do.

People are aware it is optional, but a lot of them would also like to leave feedback to WHY they dislike in hopes it either gets fixed, or at least gives Anet ideas what people like and did not like about something.

Further notice most of the complaints are about the camera, the issue of other people blocking view for jumps. and the timing window because of the mist, not about the puzzle itself.

Please stop assuming everyone with issues about something just want it nerfed to oblivion so there’s no accomplishment in doing it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: thekemp.5967

thekemp.5967

I have tried to finish the new JP for almost 7 hours and I simply cannot make it because I lack the reflexes to do so.

Since I’m an achievement collector and it’s the only thing left for me to do in Guild Wars 2, I would be very disappointed if I couldn’t get my hands on this achievement. I wouldn’t mind it if it was a permanent JP which I could try a few times every day but sadly this is a holiday event.

Although I can understand that the more gifted and experienced players among us seek a challenge, there are people who have sadly issues which prevent them from finishing this JP, for example:

- Age.
- Disabilities.
- Slow reflexes.

I have finished every JP in this game because I was able to do them on my own pace but the reflexes required for this JP, are in my opinion, higher than the average player has.

I always thought that holiday events were supposed to bring joy and a memorable experience to everyone, yet this event only brings negative feelings and memories with it for the gross of the players.

I honestly hope you will reconsider the difficulty and give us a few more spare seconds to do this JP as I am sure that everyone wants to enjoy your work to their fullest.

p.s. this kind of current difficulty would be awesome for permanent puzzles.

Thanks for reading.

Nope, It’s difficult, If you aren’t capable of doing it, then well, you aren’t capable of doing it.

it doesn’t need to be changed, It’s perfectly fine.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: mrsrachelm.7618

mrsrachelm.7618

Saying “it’s doable” does nothing to alleviate the frustration this puzzle is causing. I’ve been at it a total of 10 hours now, and despite memorizing all the jumps from the videos, running through it as meticulously as possible and avoiding any groups with high norn and charr population, I still haven’t made it even to the big fall in the middle. Partly due to latency, partly due to the fact that I’m a human being and not perfect, and partly due to some major glitches.

Congratulations, you finished the puzzle, just like several others who also felt the need to say so.

Agreed.

Let’s give them all a hand…. you are the uber gods of gaming…we bow before you. Feel better? This is why I haven’t bothered with that puzzle.

To those who’ve completed the puzzle and are offering constructive/supportive advice to others: Good on you! People like you are really wonderful and it’s nice to know you’re here on the forums trying to help others.

To the others who are just patting themselves on the back and/or gloating at the expense of those who are voicing their frustrations or seeking advice…kitten off. Go make a mutual admiration society thread where you can all tell each other how wondrous you all are for being able to complete a pixelated puzzle in a video game, roflol!

To those of you beating yourselves up over this puzzle: Define what is “fun” for you. If you, like me, are a collector of achievements etc you’ll really want to do this puzzle and not have to wait a full year more if you cant get it this time around. BUT! Are you having fun? That is the bottom line. If the puzzle is, in and of itself, “fun” (even if frustrating) then by all means keep trying. If you find that the payout of a line of pixels saying you did it is not really worth the level of anxiety or frustration you are investing…then just walk away. Maybe try again next year and hopefully by then they will NEED to rethink some of these things in order to maintain a player base because by the time you’re 80 end game content is nill and repetitive at best so people will stop logging in even with a content patch.

Seriously, decide why you play a game. I play a game to have fun, to help me forget my constant pain due to a chronic pain condition, and to just put the stresses of real life aside for a while. Why, in the name of all that’s holy, would I simply want to involve myself in a whole new set of stress inducing activity in a game? How is that fun? For me, it’s not. For others the puzzle itself, and conquering it, -is- the fun…not the reward of a line on their achievement list saying they did the puzzle…nor is the chest at the end which will contain items likely soon to be outgrown or taking up space in the bank or sold. If you aren’t having fun…and it’s the fun that you look for in your game…then just shrug it off and leave it to do something you are actually enjoying whether that something else is in the game or not associated with the game at all.

This game will have a relatively short life span for me, I think, unless AN rethinks a lot of the ways they handle the content, their approach to customer feedback, how well they address the in game bugs and if they throw one type of player base (namely the casuals which are mainly PvE players) to the dogs and cater mainly to another player base (PvP, sPvP, and WvW players).

The game is very young yet so I’m more than willing to stick around and give it a good shot. But Holiday events structured like these are doesn’t bode well for keeping me, or many but the most loyal “fan boi/gurl” players, for the long term. I give a short lifespan of two years (if things don’t change) before the active player base dwindles and most move on to the next newest game. Just my opinion. I accept that others’ will differ and that’s perfectly okay.

in Halloween Event

Swifter.6451

People are aware it is optional, but a lot of them would also like to leave feedback to WHY they dislike in hopes it either gets fixed, or at least gives Anet ideas what people like and did not like about something.

Further notice most of the complaints are about the camera, the issue of other people blocking view for jumps. and the timing window because of the mist, not about the puzzle itself.

Please stop assuming everyone with issues about something just want it nerfed to oblivion so there’s no accomplishment in doing it.

It was easy enough to find a less populated overflow. Yes the camera can be improved upon, but it wasn’t a huge issue…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: samrogan.9132

samrogan.9132

I was playing on my laptop and I could NOT do it with the lag . I legitimately could not to it, I fell at the first gear every time. I switched to a desktop in my house and was playing at 65 GPS after that. It still took me a while but I got it much easier. So, my point is, if you’re having latency issues than it might truly not be your fault you can’t do it. I was lagging at 10-15 fps and it was not happening.

Edit: great post @mrsrachelm by the way

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Scythe.3024

Scythe.3024

The puzzle is fine. Took me like 30 minutes to get down. Probably one of the best things about this event. A challenge that’s meant to be learned, with a reward at the end.

Stop complaining and work on your skill.

in Halloween Event

Kaon Lowe.7218

It was easy enough to find a less populated overflow. Yes the camera can be improved upon, but it wasn’t a huge issue…

For the record I attempt the event on my Charr and he’s as big as they get, but really I never feel like the camera is a help in this game, I feel it works against the player more than helps.

it just feels like you could have gotten the same effect with a timer, shorter clear times prove the player is skilled, while the players who feel they aren’t good enough to do it fast can still clear it. but I’m not gonna rage on it because luckily it is optional.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kalea.9167

Kalea.9167

Ok been at it some more, made it past one ‘stuck’ point, and now working up to another. My feedback still remains:

• Keep people from bringing in elite-summoned adds like hounds of balthazar, their golems, etc.

I was in one particular run where an Asura was upset with not being able to see themselves because there was a Charr, and so they summoned their Golem just to ‘distract’ the Charr. Hey, whatever, I don’t need to be griefed by this sort of annoyance either.

• A slight delay between the cut scene and the actual start will give everyone a chance to fail less.

The cut scene is great; but I zone in and see too many with the little movie icon on top of heads.

• A practice tower wouldn’t have been a horrid idea, one with no loot, no timer, no acid, for people who aren’t good at these things to learn.
  • A stealth buff on all the other players present so you can save sever load by having it instantiated but still let people get the feeling that they are there alone.
  • An option to group with your race. yes there is still height variation within that, but it won’t be so extreme as me being on my Asura and running with gigantic Norn. Yes I can learn blind jumping puzzles, and have done those in game but they don’t have time limits where then I have to sit around and wait for a minute to try again.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zonkster.3589

Zonkster.3589

Ping is the reason platforming (especially moving ones) should not be in an mmo, ’nuff said.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Yoke.4671

Yoke.4671

I want to own a ferrari and an Island, I cant due to lack of money.
I want to play football professionally, I cant due to lack of skills.

You lack some reflexs for a certain mechanic in a game, same deal. get over it

in Halloween Event

Kaon Lowe.7218

Ok been at it some more, made it past one ‘stuck’ point, and now working up to another. My feedback still remains:

• Keep people from bringing in elite-summoned adds like hounds of balthazar, their golems, etc.

I was in one particular run where an Asura was upset with not being able to see themselves because there was a Charr, and so they summoned their Golem just to ‘distract’ the Charr. Hey, whatever, I don’t need to be griefed by this sort of annoyance either.

• A slight delay between the cut scene and the actual start will give everyone a chance to fail less.

The cut scene is great; but I zone in and see too many with the little movie icon on top of heads.

• A practice tower wouldn’t have been a horrid idea, one with no loot, no timer, no acid, for people who aren’t good at these things to learn.
  • A stealth buff on all the other players present so you can save sever load by having it instantiated but still let people get the feeling that they are there alone.
  • An option to group with your race. yes there is still height variation within that, but it won’t be so extreme as me being on my Asura and running with gigantic Norn. Yes I can learn blind jumping puzzles, and have done those in game but they don’t have time limits where then I have to sit around and wait for a minute to try again.

I’d actually agree an ability to run it without the mist timer (but no loot or achievement) for sake of practice would be a good idea. it doesn’t detract from the challenge for people who think it’s fine as is, while giving people who are having trouble a way to practice it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: brickforlife.1364

brickforlife.1364

You can’t do this while thinking about where to go at the same time. It’s simply impossible

Join
[BEAR] www.gw2bear.com
[DATE] www.tyriadating.com

in Halloween Event

Swifter.6451

You can’t do this while thinking about where to go at the same time. It’s simply impossible

That’s where practice makes perfect. Learn the route, less thinking, makes it easier.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: thekemp.5967

thekemp.5967

Ping is the reason platforming (especially moving ones) should not be in an mmo, ’nuff said.

The movement in this puzzle is an illusion, the world around you doesn’t actually move with the exception of the final jump, and the point where you have to wait for the clocktower to break to create a path, but even after that it’s static.

If your ping is so high you can’t time jumps right. i’d sort your connection out tbf

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Linc.8956

Linc.8956

Catering to the lowest common skill level denominator of a gamer is definitely not what I want to see Anet doing. It’s great that everyone wants to be 100% the best, but games are designed to be challenging and that means not always winning in PvE scenarios. This jumping puzzle finally was just what I was looking for.

in Halloween Event

Zonkster.3589

Don;t do them then, ’nuff said.

Brilliant! Thankyou I won’t.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

one thing super meat boy taught me is that you can be as infuriatingly hard as you want, as long as you put the player back in the action as soon as he fails, so he can worry about the platforming more than the punishment for failing.

so i spent about 7 hours, and now i need to sleep. i’d say about 3/4 of the time i was either lagging a lot (random slowdowns and resets), or had a huge amount of chars in the way of the camera. after those 7 hours, i just learned to do the commands without even looking at my character, so i can get past the mass of people when they die and worry about platforming again.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Halloween Event

Zonkster.3589

The movement in this puzzle is an illusion, the world around you doesn’t actually move with the exception of the final jump, and the point where you have to wait for the clocktower to break to create a path, but even after that it’s static.

If your ping is so high you can’t time jumps right. i’d sort your connection out tbf

Movement may be an illusion but bad ping still screws timing and it can’t always be sorted since we are dependent on certain paths sometimes. I remember Telnet (if I got the name right) would screw with my ping bad in one game but there was no way around them.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cyron.1483

Cyron.1483

Hey Xuro and others, just completed the puzzle my 3rd time, hears some helpful tips:

-Elemental traited air atune speed helps tons
-For me, I could afford to take a few seconds on the debris after the first section where you wait, due to the rest of the jumps right after being easy and allowing me to gain time (Hint: Only jump from rock to rock, dont jump on the pole)
-The upper platforms give you more room for error, but dont slow down too much or the platform below you have to jump to will submerge
-After you jump, the rest of the puzzle is very easy and slow, then just jump through the broken clock (you will see the clock swing around once, then 2nd time it will break and you can jump in)

in Halloween Event

mrsrachelm.7618

Catering to the lowest common skill level denominator of a gamer is definitely not what I want to see Anet doing. It’s great that everyone wants to be 100% the best, but games are designed to be challenging and that means not always winning in PvE scenarios. This jumping puzzle finally was just what I was looking for.

Incorrect. Games are designed to be fun. The level of challenge involved defines what is and is not fun to each individual. Making the level of challenge static and therefore “fun” to only a small select portion of your entire player base is a recipe for disaster…especially in a F2P MMO which needs to maintain a high level of active players willing to spend real life money for in game items which normally come “free” in a P2P games as rewards for content completion, etc. Therefore, a good long term business model would be one that offers a RANGE of challenge available to suit the wider player base in order to keep that larger population of players logging in long term. To that end, the puzzle could have had Difficulty modes, be instanced, have a soloable and group mode, etc so all players could choose which mode best suited them. The rewards for each mode could be scaled to match the level of difficulty as well. BUT, that would mean AN would have had to invest their profits via time, resources, paid employees etc into the game which they appear unwilling to do except in the most basic of ways. It almost appears as though they are going to milk the cow for the first year or two, feeding it just enough but with little intention of keeping that cow viable long term. This is just my initial observation which is subject to change if AN gives me reason to change it.

(edited by mrsrachelm.7618)

in Halloween Event

mrsrachelm.7618

Although I can understand that the more gifted and experienced players among us seek a challenge, there are people who have sadly issues which prevent them from finishing this JP, for example:
- Age.
- Disabilities.
- Slow reflexes.

Cant stop laughing. “I cant complete the dungeon because im a 70IQ blind person with only 1 hand, Its not right that not all people can enjoy the content. NERF IT!”

Spoken by someone who obviously has never had to struggle with such things or watch someone they love do so. And, I hope to goodness, you never do. It’s not easy having your entire life narrowed down severely and even when you log into a game to get away from it for a while, have it slap you in the face there as well. Again, I hope you never have to face those things or ever have to watch -your- child struggle with them only to be mocked by people like you on forums such as these knowing there is nothing you can do to help them enjoy those things people like you take for granted.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cyric.7485

Cyric.7485

incorrect stuff

The OP sounded like a “please nerf this because I’m incapable and everything must be made to accommodate me” to me, maybe I’m just jaded by WoW and what ended up happening with that game.

Also, my 2nd post in this thread I actually did agree that characters blocking each other was an issue. I also acknowledged that although I didn’t have any camera issues, perhaps it was just my setup AKA I didn’t dismiss the potential of the problem just because I didn’t experience it.

Clearly you don’t read before posting. Nothing I say or anyone else in this thread, unless they agree then you guys eat it all up, is going to change your minds. You’re not here to listen to reason or perhaps debate and maybe realize some points, you’re just here in an attempt to get ANet to accommodate your desires. That’s what the majority of the posters here want, at least half of these posts don’t simply say “camera and other players are a problem”, they say “this is too hard because blah blah IRL reason/excuse blah blah make it easier so I can do it too, QQ!”… It is what it is, I hope they administer fixes without nerfing it, that’s my stance.

Cyric out.

Losers make excuses, winners make it happen.

(edited by Cyric.7485)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Scythe.3024

Scythe.3024

Incorrect. Games are designed to be fun. The level of challenge involved defines what is and is not fun to each individual. Making the level of challenge static and therefore “fun” to only a small select portion of your entire player base is a recipe for disaster…especially in a F2P MMO which needs to maintain a high level of active players willing to spend real life money for in game items which normally come “free” in a P2P games as rewards for content completion, etc. Therefore, a good long term business model would be one that offers a RANGE of challenge available to suit the wider player base in order to keep that larger population of players logging in long term. To that end, the puzzle could have had Difficulty modes, be instanced, have a soloable and group mode, etc so all players could choose which mode best suited them. The rewards for each mode could be scaled to match the level of difficulty as well. BUT, that would mean AN would have had to invest their profits via time, resources, paid employees etc into the game which they appear unwilling to do except in the most basic of ways. It almost appears as though they are going to milk the cow for the first year or two, feeding it just enough but with little intention of keeping that cow viable long term. This is just my initial observation which is subject to change if AN gives me reason to change it.

People would then complain that they can’t get the hard mode achievement/hard mode loot/hard mode anything because the content is too hard. It’s happened before.

Barely anything in this game matches the difficulty that the puzzle imposes, which isn’t even THAT hard. People who have little skill have tons to do. Don’t take away challenges from the game when one finally comes up.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: epicsmooth.7825

epicsmooth.7825

- Age.
- Disabilities.
- Slow reflexes.

Cant stop laughing. “I cant complete the dungeon because im a 70IQ blind person with only 1 hand, Its not right that not all people can enjoy the content. NERF IT!”

Spoken by someone who obviously has never had to struggle with such things or watch someone they love do so. And, I hope to goodness, you never do. It’s not easy having your entire life narrowed down severely and even when you log into a game to get away from it for a while, have it slap you in the face there as well. Again, I hope you never have to face those things or ever have to watch -your- child struggle with them only to be mocked by people like you on forums such as these knowing there is nothing you can do to help them enjoy those things people like you take for granted.

I’m sorry but everyone is not equal, it sucks but that’s life.

Fixes the camera issues and what not.

don’t touch the puzzle itself.

in Halloween Event

Kaon Lowe.7218

People would then complain that they can’t get the hard mode achievement/hard mode loot/hard mode anything because the content is too hard. It’s happened before.

Barely anything in this game matches the difficulty that the puzzle imposes, which isn’t even THAT hard. People who have little skill have tons to do. Don’t take away challenges from the game when one finally comes up.

And what about adding ways for players who are having trouble to practice easier? would being able to run it without the timer for practice make you doing it less meaningful, that you should be at the whims of the size ratio of other people, that you should have to sit and wait for longer periods the earlier you fail, as if to rub your nose in it? Even if one finds the puzzle an actual fun challenge it still has a lot of issues that even if you think the difficulty is fine are problems (race size annoyances because you have to run with others is the biggest and most obvious)

I’m glad everything is a joke of boredom for you, and for the most part I’d tend to agree most stuff is not that hard if you’ve played a lot of games, but not everyone has played tons of games, and not everyone can enjoy being thrown into a timed jumping puzzle where they also have to fight the camera and other people’s models in order to practice it. Even if they don’t change it, this feedback from the people who didn’t like it is worth them stating it, because ideally it will mean better improvements down the line.

in Halloween Event

mrsrachelm.7618

And i hope people that do end up with disabilities realize that they are not equal with other people..

That says a lot about you right there.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TobyTucker.5317

TobyTucker.5317

I haven’t even been able to try this puzzle. Is there some trick to finding those pumpkin doors?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Toby, visit queensdale, there’s one close to the DR entrance.

I tried for about an hour tonight with no luck. I actually think this puzzle is tons of fun and i looove the challenge but it became impossible because of everyone blocking my view. if they could make it a solo thing that would be best imo.

in Halloween Event

neon.4863

I haven’t even been able to try this puzzle. Is there some trick to finding those pumpkin doors?

There are many of them in Queensdale, marked on the map by a pumpkin. Go in, then talk to the NPC and say you’re interested in the clock tower.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ravnis.5476

Ravnis.5476

I’m don’t have fast reflexes anymore. I’m not a younger uber gamer that you claim you must be to beat this puzzle. What I am, however, is a person who spent countless tries trying to speed up to beat this until i realized all I needed to do was relax a bit and learn the puzzle. I play an Asura, I played with multiple Charr and Norn players. I even had an ANet player log into my jumping puzzle on the biggest Charr known to mankind named “Wide ****(not a curse, just removed to save face of the ANet person, loved them being there)” and though it was discouraging, it was funny and added to the event.

You call it reflexes, I call is muscle memory and learned. You call it impossible and terrible design I call it challenging and fun.

The reality is i wont win any contests for reflexes, gaming or anything like that, yet I have done this puzzle successfully multiple times now. Sure you can claim I’m some young master gamer who is just making this all up, but the reality is I’m the average, maybe slightly above average player. I guarantee, that with time and effort and patience, this can be done.

Ravnis : lvl 80 Warrior
Rink Inc: Level 80 Engineer
IoJ noob extraordinaire.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sentinel VX.1392

Sentinel VX.1392

Since this isn’t really about the achievement itself (which I said a few comments back I wouldn’t talk about anymore): that’s not very sound logic. There are plenty of other achievements which aren’t challenging to get and are still listed under achievements.

I assume you want every achievement to be easy? yes?

I don’t think so.

Sea of Sorrow since BWE.

in Halloween Event

neon.4863

And i hope people that do end up with disabilities realize that they are not equal with other people..

That says a lot about you right there.

Agreed. What the heck.

in Halloween Event

neon.4863

I assume you want every achievement to be easy? yes?

I don’t think so.

You specifically said this achievement wouldn’t be an “Achievement” if it was easy to get.

I specifically said that there are other achievements in the game which are quite easy, and they’re still achievements, so that logic doesn’t make sense.

I didn’t say “every achievement should be easy”. I said “achievements don’t need to be hard to be achievements”. That’s like you telling me that if I say “dogs don’t need to be white to be dogs” I actually said “I don’t want any dogs to be white”.