Holiday Events are supposed to be fun, right?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Yasashiku.8275

Yasashiku.8275

I know a lot of people have posted and voiced their opinion about this already, but I just wanted to post my experience in MMO holiday events.

The first MMO I ever played was FFXI for quite a few years at that. For their holiday events they tried to make them fun to do as well as give you the holiday fluff items (may it be house decorations or armor/weapons) that were just that, fluff and fun items. You even had an NPC that would hold these things for you to help you conserve space. I liked this method a lot, which is have fun in the event and get the fluff items to carry with you so you can have even more fun with friends and any other time.

The next MMO I moved to was Aion, which was sort of the same from what I can remember from my short time there. You participated in the event and got the fluff items. I also don’t remember Rift being all that terrible with holiday events either, but I could remember wrong since neither of these two games kept with me like FFXI did.

So now I come to GW2, where they said things would be fun and enjoyable, yet I seem to get the complete opposite feeling at times with some of the changes they do. When I learned I could finally get my hands on a craftable skin by participating in the event, I was quite happy, but then about 20 minutes later a patch comes in and suddenly my chances drop significantly (looting a chest once per day during a limited event? how does that make sense?).

Now, I can understand the efforts put into making a legendary item, but putting that kind of effort into holiday fun items seems rather off-putting. I even tried to get my hands on a black lion chest skin for a friend and me, yet those prices jumped 10 gold overnight… I’m not sure how being forced to grind or not get the fun skins/items at all is considered fun really. Is it the no subscription thing that influences this kind of holiday spirit? Because it baffles me that an event that is supposed to be fun is turned into a hopeless grind for things your non-hardcore gamers can’t seem to afford.

Anyway, that’s my own little rant for now. Feel free to flame or discuss away. Maybe a developer or someone can help explain to me why I need to be rich and work as though I’m making a legendary just to get holiday fluff skins to have fun with my friends.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Stormleaf.1769

Stormleaf.1769

There are two more acts. Wait and see if they provide even more methods for obtaining the skins and weapons (like they did with Act 2) in the second half before calling it a total failure. If they don’t, then complain.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

OMG I cant get a particular skin even though there are a bunch of other FREE skins! Anet please give me these skins!

Thats what Im seeing on these forums and it really saddens me that people are saying the whole event sucks because god forbid they couldnt get their chainsaw greatsword skin.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Yasashiku.8275

Yasashiku.8275

I am really looking forward to the last two acts. Though I am also worried that by the end of the event I’ll have nothing halloweeny other than the free horns and the flaming book (which I think looks awesome) just because I’m not a rich person. Maybe I’m greedy or spoiled for wanting to dress up for the holiday without being rich to do so? Hrm.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Maybe I’m greedy or spoiled for wanting to dress up for the holiday without being rich to do so? Hrm.

You do realize that the pauldrons (Which look awesome btw, thanks Anet) are like 60s – 2g right? I would hardly call that rich.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

Well honestly , always wait till the next patch is up.

Most likely we get a chance on something before they nerf it.

That is what i learned from Anet.

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zyava.2430

Zyava.2430

OMG I cant get a particular skin even though there are a bunch of other FREE skins! Anet please give me these skins!

Thats what Im seeing on these forums and it really saddens me that people are saying the whole event sucks because god forbid they couldnt get their chainsaw greatsword skin.

Hey, I want that skin too, even though it’s not as kick kitten looking as I’d anticipate it to be. Well, I’m not spending gold on it, as I don’t have much and I’m not wasting my time whining about how I cannot afford it, lol.

I could’ve started this game a month ago, I just did not, for some weird reason. Well, if I did, I’d probably have a 100 gold by the time this event was released and this would not be an issue, so… ^^

in Halloween Event

Posted by: blue.8629

blue.8629

Meh overall rubbish event, can’t complain – it is okay, nice art styles and voice overs. But content seems a bit buggy and rubbish to me

Blue… My name is a colour.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Totdigital.3925

Totdigital.3925

I loved this game so much until this stupid holiday event. It was suppose to be fun but nothing is fun at all. Everything is just bad made, bugged or nerfed to the grounds all the time.
To the ppl that say we are QQing, well maibe we are but it not ok to be punish just because you have a job and you cant play all them time.
With this stupid event i lost all my friends, all of them left the game and moved on.
Ty Anet for destroying all my fun and take away all my friends.
If you want to nerf something also take away the goodies for the ppl that got them. Some 1 i know got loot worth of 400+ g. How it that fair tho the others, the 1’s who are looteing junk and greens atm and only 1 time a day.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I completely agree with the OP. I also have played many MMOs where if there is holiday fluff it is not a super grind to get. The other MMO I currently play, DDO, even has really nice non-fluff festival items (some of which are best in slot for the level) that aren’t even as difficult a grind as the fluff items in this festival

For those saying “wait and see”: what are they going to add stuff or make existing stuff easier to get and piss off all the people who already paid/did the grind? That doesn’t sound like a very fair idea either…

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Shadow Order.7258

Shadow Order.7258

Don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll add some kind of gem store item that makes this easier for people, kinda like the costume brawl outfits.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

sigh So by questing you can get the Mad Memories back slot accessories, which are totally awesome and useful. You can also turn in candy corn to get temporary themed weapons that are awesome and you can get the devil horns for free form the gem store. Honestly, what more do you want?

In GW 1 we all got a hat for Halloween. Two hats after Nightfall, one from Lion’s Arch and another from Kamadan. That was pretty much it! I mean, we did also get some consumable, which in GW 2 is equivalent to the special food and potions chefs and artificers can make. But in GW 2 you also get special runes, you may have no desire to make them but you can if you wanted to.

So far as I can tell, you are not getting short changed in anyway! It is however unreasonable to except the same exact thing as another player who is willing to spend the time and effort needed to get exotic versions of the Halloween items. I mean, even if Anet added vendors who sold Halloween themed whites, I don’t think they would silence one of the whiners. You are whining because you want the best stuff without putting in either the time or money. How is that fair I ask you?

To conclude, here is a picture of my Sylvari holding using the Halloween bow, the temporary kind because I don’t have the faintest desire to farm-up the mats for the permanent kind. Because I am a causal player and this is the casual version of the weapon and I am cool with that.

Attachments:

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Elarii.2756

Elarii.2756

Hrmm, seems to me that the complaints are more that those who exploited the chests before they got nerfed get to keep what they got but those who didn’t are now being penalized by having the chests nerfed so there is now little to no chance to collect even a fraction of what the pre-nerf players got. Call it qqing but I think it’s more to do with a wee term called fair play.