Please do not "nerf" the tower

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Joessit.1908

Joessit.1908

The tower is challenging, sure. But that’s okay. About 50% of the population won’t do it. And again, that’s okay. The reward is an exotic. Do you want everyone to be wearing these “special” boots? No, of course not, because then it has the value of “whites”. Challenge is fine. If you really want to complete the tower, then you’ll make the commitment. You wouldn’t be on the forum, whining about it. You’d be out there, memorizing, practicing, and eventually, you’ll get it. Arena.Net, please don’t touch the tower.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Chrollo.2173

Chrollo.2173

Yea lets limit content so not everyone can do it, that’ll keep people playing.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Poaches.1967

Poaches.1967

Anyone can do it; not everyone can finish it.

Would you like them to add an option to pay 2 gold to teleport to the chest?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Serbaayuu.3051

Serbaayuu.3051

You don’t have to do it. It’s an achievement. It’s something challenging, that can be overcome with skill and patience. You don’t need it. It doesn’t give you any unique rewards (the Mad King armors aren’t unique skins).

Pumpkin Carving, New Recipes, Two Minigames, the Labyrinth, Costume Brawl, and Scavenger Hunt. All these and more were given to the average player at a cost of exactly $0 (and yes, you can win at Costume Brawl without purchasing costumes – I’ve gotten a streak of 7 Champs as a glow-in-the-dark skeleton).

Anybody can do any of these! Well, actually, the Labyrinth is pretty tough to run around solo. Should we nerf that too? Should we make it so that the boss can be killed in 1 shot at the end, and give you free loot?

Just about anybody can do the Tower, too. Practice. Get muscle memory going. Watch videos if you’re that desperate. Learn the strategy. If you REALLY can’t win with other players, just hang out in the same instance for a few hours – eventually they’ll all leave and you’ll be alone. Or, hop on at low-population times to try it.

You don’t DESERVE to win the Tower by default. You’re not entitled to the achievement. It’s an achievement. By definition, something challenging, requiring skill, effort, patience, or any amount of major investment.

Sylva – 80 Ranger
The Fifth Column [FCol]
Henge of Denravi

in Halloween Event

Posted by: RobbySpry.2671

RobbySpry.2671

Elitists just don’t get it.

First of all, you have no idea about the statistics, so don’t use that as an argument.

Secondly, most of us are just trying to have FUN, buddy. To experience everything in the game we paid good money for. We don’t care about the reward or the pride, like you do. The best and most fun creation AN has ever done is ruined because it’s not single-player instanced. The tower is brilliant and the only fun jumping puzzle in the game, and only a few lucky ones shouldn’t be allowed to enjoy all of it. That is a serious problem whether your ego likes it or not.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

People who beat the tower = Leave tower alone, it’s fine!

People who failed to beta tower = QQ, tower is too hard online.

I honestly don’t think either side is better. Both have a sense of entitlement. None is superior to the other.

in Halloween Event

Serbaayuu.3051

First of all, you have no idea about the statistics, so don’t use that as an argument.

Secondly, most of us are just trying to have FUN, buddy. To experience everything in the game we paid good money for. We don’t care about the reward or the pride, like you do. The best and most fun creation AN has ever done is ruined because it’s not single-player instanced. The tower is brilliant and the only fun jumping puzzle in the game, and only a few lucky ones shouldn’t be allowed to enjoy all of it. That is a serious problem whether your ego likes it or not.

What? You say you don’t care about the reward or pride?

Then just play the Tower! What’s wrong with you? You can play it. It’s right there. There is literally nothing stopping you from playing it over and over and over and over and over if you don’t give a kitten about the reward.

Sylva – 80 Ranger
The Fifth Column [FCol]
Henge of Denravi

in Halloween Event

Serbaayuu.3051

People who beat the tower = Leave tower alone, it’s fine!

People who failed to beta tower = QQ, tower is too hard online.

I honestly don’t think either side is better.

Actually, even if I had not beaten the tower last night, I would still ALWAYS side with the people to keep it hard.

Sylva – 80 Ranger
The Fifth Column [FCol]
Henge of Denravi

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mays.5839

Mays.5839

Then just play the Tower! What’s wrong with you? You can play it. It’s right there. There is literally nothing stopping you from playing it over and over and over and over and over if you don’t give a kitten about the reward.

+1

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sordius.4132

Sordius.4132

Could not agree anymore. Right now, i would be happy if they could make the clock tower even harder…just to have the pleasure of seeing the pride leaving the whiners body every time they fall down in the endless pit of gooey shame;)

Explorer, harvester and maker

in Halloween Event

RobbySpry.2671

Uh, hello? There’s nine other players blocking my way and acid following me, forcing me to have to jump the same time as them, which IS the difficulty of the tower. That’s not a good kind of difficulty. It’s just really impractical.

in Halloween Event

Chrollo.2173

GW2 is such a great game because it lets me play the game the way I wanna play it and do the things I wanna do. So far this is the first time I’ve wanted to be able to do something and the design works at a high barrier to overcome.

The connecting feature of the different Halloween events are the achievements all leading to a master achievement.

This would be like if you had to complete all the world jumping puzzles to get 100% world completion. They are hard, and GW2 thankfully makes them self contained rewards.

An obvious counter is that they’re both achievements, but there is little connecting all the jumping puzzle achievements together besides satisfaction while there is a “you’ve completed the halloween event” achievement connected to the clock tower. I’ve spent real time playing this event and I truly, honestly feel the tower will make it so I can’t show that I did so.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Car.3805

Car.3805

Agreed with making the option for solo play. I don’t understand how changing this to a solo instance will ruin the achievement for others, because clearly, this is such a competitive game insert sarcasm. MMOs are about community. When I see tons of people creating norn and charr characters to complete the puzzle because they were finding it difficult on their asurans and humans (and they did complete it rather easily once they switched characters), then there is obviously a problem with the way the game is set up. When people are able to find solo instances or instances with 5 people or less and complete the puzzle, but then come on the forums to ask that the dungeon not be changed, but others like myself honestly haven’t been in an instance with less than 9 and only for one run, then yes, there is a problem with the puzzle.

Making the jumping puzzle available as a solo instance or an instance with no more than 5 people does not detract from the actual difficulty of the puzzle.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Rainydays.5368

Rainydays.5368

I side with keep the clocktower the way it is. Just because something is difficult, whether it is practical or impractical (whatever that means, I just see people saying this) doesn’t mean the content is not fun. Just take that game “Demon Souls” for example. It is universally accepted that it is one of the most difficult games around with both practical and impractical deaths. Meaning there are parts of the game where you would die and the only way you could possibly know to avoid something is by experiencing it by death the first time (or you play with the online mode on and someone leaves you a message). But the point being, it is also universally accepted as a very, very good game strictly because of how hard it is.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Token.5098

Token.5098

I agree, imo the clock tower isn’t even that hard. Okay, it took me like 45 minutes to make it the first time, but now I can finish it several times in a row for those extra baggies. I absolutely love it.
It’s very much like The Impossible Game, you get to a certain point, die, remember how you got to that point and do it again, go futher, die again, etc etc.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Won’t let me edit for some reason, so here’s another post:

Why are people labeling each other? If I feel like I have a legitimate concern and post on the boards, then I must be a “whiner” or a “complainer”. If I feel that something is too easy, then I must be an “elitist”.

Quote: just to have the pleasure of seeing the pride leaving the whiners body every time they fall down in the endless pit of gooey shame;)
^For kitten’s sake, it’s people like you who make the community terrible. I understand concerns from both sides, but voice them like adults instead of name calling and being general jerks.

You didn’t complete the tower did you? What a shame.

Of course, this is /e-sarcasm.

Some people just have to get a boost to their kitten, otherwise they don’t feel special as the should.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

in Halloween Event

Chrollo.2173

Well it really comes down to the fact that the people who are good at jumping puzzles love it and the people who aren’t hate it.

I mean what really can be done? I saw just make two modes then everyone is happy.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

They wont nerf it, it wont be available long enough for them to figure out the code and how to change it.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

in Halloween Event

Chrollo.2173

They wont nerf it, it wont be available long enough for them to figure out the code and how to change it.

I don’t like it, but I definitely agree with this. Also the fact that none of “this” kind of topic has any red posts means that they don’t really care about all this hub bub

in Halloween Event

RobbySpry.2671

Just take that game “Demon Souls” for example. It is universally accepted that it is one of the most difficult games around with both practical and impractical deaths.

I think there’s a misunderstanding between the haters and the lovers here.

Mate, i’m a huge fan of that series, and yet i probably got furious with the clocktower much quicker than most. DS have a REALISTIC difficulty; you’ll die if you let the enemies hit you, just like in reality. The clocktower has an UNrealistic difficulty because of the swarm of extra players completely blocking your view. I’ve never had any troubles with any jumping puzzles, and the only reason i can’t enjoy the brilliance that is the clocktower is because of the swarm.

I’m a big lover of the difficult. But there’s good and there’s bad. And the clocktower swarm is a horrible difficulty that ruins something really great.

I would LOVE a much longer and way more difficult version of the clocktower, if i could play it >>ALONE<<.

(edited by RobbySpry.2671)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

+1. Don’t. And i’m not good at jumping puzzles, i’m ok, more or less. But i feel that it should stay, as it is now.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

The content in this case is not limited. Everyone can do it. Not everyone will succeed though, but that in no way limits the content as there is nothing for which the tower is a prerequisite.
The 2nd act scavenger hunt is something you can call limited content. As people under a certain level will have a hard time completing it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: richlaw.9814

richlaw.9814

Getting older in the US I’m constantly amazed by the sense of entitlement we have, and I can’t decide if it’s cultural or mostly an age thing. I suspect age. I ran that stupid tower for hours straight, howled in frustration, nearly punched my computer and almost quit. Never once did I think they should make it easier. It’s a challenge, it’s meant to be hard and you feel accomplished when you finally get it. If they had come back and made it easier before I beat it… I’d feel cheated when I finally got there. Maybe that all went out the window with the arcade games of the 80s and 90s. Those were hard and nobody whined about making them easier, they accepted the challenge for what it was. A challenge.

And for those who say “I paid my $60 and feel cheated by Anet”, “elitist”, blah blah….you paid for the chance to play the game, not win the game.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

I loved the clock tower, it was fustrating, but it was rewarding when you made it – although my fails were due to the sheer laughter caused from other people i was racing with who fell which made me lose focus haha.
my instance was a bit social, not sure how it was for others – alot of people talking in /say and joking around, names became familiar and you soon found out the tough cookies and your “racing opponents” .

in Halloween Event

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Getting older in the US I’m constantly amazed by the sense of entitlement we have, and I can’t decide if it’s cultural or mostly an age thing. I suspect age. I ran that stupid tower for hours straight, howled in frustration, nearly punched my computer and almost quit. Never once did I think they should make it easier. It’s a challenge, it’s meant to be hard and you feel accomplished when you finally get it. If they had come back and made it easier before I beat it… I’d feel cheated when I finally got there. Maybe that all went out the window with the arcade games of the 80s and 90s. Those were hard and nobody whined about making them easier, they accepted the challenge for what it was. A challenge.

And for those who say “I paid my $60 and feel cheated by Anet”, “elitist”, blah blah….you paid for the chance to play the game, not win the game.

Exactly, same exact feelings. I would feel cheated as well. This puzzle is not impossible, but it have steep learning curve. It’s not THAT hard once u’ve beaten it. It becomes rather fun.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Arosa.2647

Arosa.2647

People complaining about the tower is like if i say “I am bad at pvp. Please remove pvp from the game….”

There is a lot of things to do ingame. The tower is difficult until you know how to do it. A lot of people is completing it, so doesn’t need to be nerfed. Puzzles are part of the game and there will be people who like the challenge in doing hard puzzles (like the one in eternal battlegrounds). Not everybody has to do everything and this is an optional achievement.

Thanks anet for all this funny puzzles. You have don a very good work filling the world with them.

[DA] Disaster Area | [HiNe] Hijos de Némesis
Togame la Estratega – Engineer
Marga Sorin – Druid

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Car.3805

Car.3805

Won’t let me edit for some reason, so here’s another post:

Why are people labeling each other? If I feel like I have a legitimate concern and post on the boards, then I must be a “whiner” or a “complainer”. If I feel that something is too easy, then I must be an “elitist”.

Quote: just to have the pleasure of seeing the pride leaving the whiners body every time they fall down in the endless pit of gooey shame;)
^For kitten’s sake, it’s people like you who make the community terrible. I understand concerns from both sides, but voice them like adults instead of name calling and being general jerks.

You didn’t complete the tower did you? What a shame.

Of course, this is /e-sarcasm.

Some people just have to get a boost to their kitten, otherwise they don’t feel special as the should.

Completed as a norn. Course, everyone else was annoyed at having a norn in the group, but that’s okay… I’m obviously not playing it for the joy of the community. /e-sarcasm????

I also completed it with that inventory window trick from the youtube. But the fact that being a norn and having an inventory window makes it easier just shows how multiple people in the instance increases the difficulty artificially. Most people aren’t asking for a nerf to the ACTUAL difficulty of the instance, but to have the option to run this instance solo or with a smaller group.

All the qq’ing about the qq’ers and the remarks flying back and forth aren’t useful, especially not with the “entitlement” “special” “whiner” “complainer” labels that are flying around.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: DeadPhone.3084

DeadPhone.3084

just want to put my 2 copper in. Should it be “nerfed” no, do I think its Hard, yes. I love it but I think it could use a small delay in the start of the acid. 2 tenths of a second maybe? and have a path that can be done without waiting for the building to fall apart maybe.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ChaoticSilence.4897

ChaoticSilence.4897

Just thought I would add another point of view. First off I have completed the tower and as an asuran no less, however this was done at 6am EST on a PST server there was 2 other people in the instance at that time. I made it on my second try after spending almost 4 hours the day before and never even making it to the false chest. My point here is simple:
Yes this puzzle is supposed to be hard and no not every one will be able to do it even in a solo instance status, however I don’t believe that anet relieved the added difficulty of losing sight of ones toon because of the masses of other standing on top of one another.

Should anet nurf this puzzle: No
Should it be a solo instance: Debatable, but I don’t think so
Should the number of people in one instance be lowered: Yes

Again just the opinion of one :-)