Suggestions to keep the BL Chest system

in Suggestions

Posted by: Clever.7918

Clever.7918

I would highly recommend a token system. Every chest contains atleast 1 token. This way if a player doesn’t get a rare skin they want, they at least can work up to one from a token vendor. So lets say per piece of armor was 3-5 token pieces and weapon 5-7 pieces. Anet can work out numbers which they think is fair. Also have at least 2-3 outfits for these token pieces so people can choose and feel different.

I think this would make everyone happy and more inclined to buy keys because it is not a complete gamble anymore. Post any suggestions or idea you may have!

in Suggestions

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

I would highly recommend a token system. Every chest contains atleast 1 token. This way if a player doesn’t get a rare skin they want, they at least can work up to one from a token vendor. So lets say per piece of armor was 3-5 token pieces and weapon 5-7 pieces. Anet can work out numbers which they think is fair. Also have at least 2-3 outfits for these token pieces so people can choose and feel different.

I think this would make everyone happy and more inclined to buy keys because it is not a complete gamble anymore. Post any suggestions or idea you may have!

Chance Items are a HUGE sale item for many MMO’s. Almost every MMO I have that has a cash shop, and no subscription has chance based items. Every one of those games has people complaining. Why do they complain?

They complain because they spend 100’s of dollars and don’t get the item they want. Let me make a comparison.

You decide to spend some extra money for a fancy hotel (Guild Wars 2)
During your stay you see a convertible sitting in the lobby on display with a sign that reads: “Win this convertible today! Play some poker with us, and if your the first to win 100 hands in a row, it’s yours!”
The buy in is $1 per game. You’re lucky, you play 20 games and get a decent hand every time. You win 20 times in a row. Then you lose one, and you have to start all over. $1000 later, your sitting at the table on try 76 in a row, and you lose. Knowing you have no more to spend or you won’t be able to pay the hotel bill, you throw your hands up and quit.

However, instead of just quitting, you start yelling at the staff demanding your $1000 back, because they dealt you some bad hands and you couldn’t win the car!

Now any reasonable hotel would kick you out. Your accusing their establishment of swindling you out of your money, when you clearly knew that you could lose a hand.

ArenaNet is nicer than this hotel. Since you already paid for your stay (the purchase fee) they will put up with the complaining, and accusations. However there is no reason in the world why they should keep other people from playing a few hands of poker so to speak, to win the 1 elusive, rare car, that any reasonable person knows, is a long shot unless you’re counting cards.

I spent $20 dollars on keys. I spent 15g on keys. I got several keys from the chests. All in all I opened upwards of 75 chests. I got 1 skin, a crappy dagger one at that. 4th box I opened if I remember correctly. I got a TON of tonics and other random crap that I don’t use.

When given a chance, I used EVERY tonic I had (160+) to make mad king chests. I got 1 more skin, and some decent halloween mats, and more corn candy than I know what to do with. (Stacking to 500 or 1000 on the candy would be great ANet!)

I got jack. Didn’t get a kitten thing I wanted. But you know what? I KNEW that I probably wouldn’t. Lets just say that I’m not that good at poker

Thank you for the event, and for even giving us the chance for unique skins at all, regardless of how small that chance might be. People don’t seem to realize that a holiday event isn’t required, and neither are the things that go with it. We already bought the game, you could leave it as is, and your end of the bargain would be fulfilled.

in Suggestions

Clever.7918

Well using your analogy i don’t think people would come back on their next stay to gamble. The odds are to low and a lot of times just came up empty handed. Instead of spending a $1000 trying to win that car just use that money to buy you’re own used one!

You say you opened about 75 chest. Other people might of opened more or less. With this system ANET can decided how many chest people can open for a full outfit, whether that be 50 or 100 chest.

I know i wont be buying chest if they keep this current system for Christmas and i know my friend and many people on the forum feel the same way. If i want something I’ll just wait for it on the TP and buy it from their. I have bought a skin and plan on buying the minis, so it’s not like I don’t plan on not getting anything from the gem shop.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Soul.5923

Soul.5923

zaxziakohl. One can calculate the ballpark odds of winning a streak of hands in poker since the odds of hands dealt are known. One cannot calculate odds of winning at RNG computer game loot with out knowing the odds beforehand, or without playing/having a large enough sample size of guinea pigs to estimate the odds. And boy are a lot of them Guinea pigs mad.

Glad I’m the type to let others leap first, and I watch how they do.

in Suggestions

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

I think it was a mistake and hopefully they will learn from it. Good idea, imo, would be to put those skins on sale in gemshop, and put some costumes, hats etc. into chests. Also, i think it would help a lot if they would make keys a bit cheaper. Would be a win-win situation.

in Suggestions

Posted by: aliquis.9180

aliquis.9180

I would like Arenanet to do these 2 things:

1. State the odds of finding a rare item in a chest very clearly: for example 1 in 1000 or whatever it happens to be.

2. Place a limit on how many keys children can buy. Let them buy about 10 keys per month. If someone wants to buy more than that, there should be a popup that you certify that you are at least 18 years old and understand that the odds of getting any particular item may be very small.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kathmandu.2417

Kathmandu.2417

I would like Arenanet to do these 2 things:

1. State the odds of finding a rare item in a chest very clearly: for example 1 in 1000 or whatever it happens to be.

2. Place a limit on how many keys children can buy. Let them buy about 10 keys per month. If someone wants to buy more than that, there should be a popup that you certify that you are at least 18 years old and understand that the odds of getting any particular item may be very small.

I don’t have a problem with the actual situation but this would be very good move, imho. Particularly the second point.

13th November. The Grind Wars begin.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Schiann.8620

Schiann.8620

I quite like your idea, Clever. This way, chests remain “chance items” but a long streak of bad luck, or a problem drop rates, won’t keep someone from getting that special item… eventually. Using the hotel analogy above, it’s a bit like a punchcard for staying with them repeatedly, that culminates in a free night’s stay.

Such tokens should be account bound, as well.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Telenn.6945

Telenn.6945

You decide to spend some extra money for a fancy hotel (Guild Wars 2)
During your stay you see a convertible sitting in the lobby on display with a sign that reads: “Win this convertible today! Play some poker with us, and if your the first to win 100 hands in a row, it’s yours!”
The buy in is $1 per game. You’re lucky, you play 20 games and get a decent hand every time. You win 20 times in a row. Then you lose one, and you have to start all over. $1000 later, your sitting at the table on try 76 in a row, and you lose. Knowing you have no more to spend or you won’t be able to pay the hotel bill, you throw your hands up and quit.

However, instead of just quitting, you start yelling at the staff demanding your $1000 back, because they dealt you some bad hands and you couldn’t win the car!

Now any reasonable hotel would kick you out. Your accusing their establishment of swindling you out of your money, when you clearly knew that you could lose a hand.

ArenaNet is nicer than this hotel. Since you already paid for your stay (the purchase fee) they will put up with the complaining, and accusations. However there is no reason in the world why they should keep other people from playing a few hands of poker so to speak, to win the 1 elusive, rare car, that any reasonable person knows, is a long shot unless you’re counting cards.

Anet depends on the cashshop sales to fund new content. The hotel rents rooms more in keeping with a subscription. If people stay away from the cashshop no new content. Stupid analogy.

in Suggestions

Clever.7918

Thx all for replies. In my original suggestion wanted to be clear that the random skins you get wouldn’t be available for tokens. So people who want to gamble on that rare skin can do so or buy it on the TP. I think this wold be a cool idea!