2h axes and the combat

2h axes and the combat

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Lord Block.5904

Lord Block.5904

Hi guys, are u thinking of adding 2h axes to the game ? And are u going to improve the combat ? I love everything in the game except the combat which plays a very big role in every mmo … Have u thought of adding talents that change ur skills in some way like in diablo 3 for example, putting runes on the skills for different effects and animations ? That will be 10/10 imo

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

this post. is it a serious one?

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Seems serious enough to me you have to remember even though 2-h Axes have been asked for since the launch of the game nothing has really changed. New players can easily have the exact same requests and questions as the old players since nothing ever gets changed or resolved. So new players will constantly be coming in and out through it’s lifespan asking for such things.

As for the combat needing improving this game launched in 2012 and it’s the year 2016. The game is dated and many new MMO’s have been launched that have already surpassed this games combat system. So a new player coming from another game askign for such a thing is reasonable.

Problem is this game is balanced towards e-sports and that means things like them toning down visual flare so people can see better, keeping the skill list low so the viewer can know the skill thats being used since it’s not a large skill pool. Keeping weapon count low for same e-sport reason and so forth.

They haven’t expanded on the combat because they ’ve capped everything to their Esport desires where everything must be kept small and manageable.

As for TC’s question I don’t think Anet will ever expand on the depth of the combat system in fact they’ve shown the opposite tightening things down. Stripping things like Anti-Toxin Spray and Clone Death Mechanic while toning down skills effects and putting a halt to underwater. Even Legendaries which did change how your skills actually look have been ended.

I see what your asking for with Diablo 3 you’d like to swap lets say GS 1 on a Mesmer to be a physical attack instead of a ranged attack which would add depth to all the weapon types and allow for more skill creation by allowing a set pool of skills per weapon to be swapped out and changed like utility skills. However we don’t even have complete sets for utility skills such as no illusion heal or illusion elite exists.

It would be great to have that extra level of horizontal progression I just don’t think it will ever happen. That expands on the core class and right now it seems their model is based around OP elites that force people to buy the next expansion. Also while yes Elites were added they kinda balance everything back to normal by not being adequatly balanced to the core classes. A Chronomancer for instance has skills added too not changed from the core Mesmer meaning your still basically left with a single class playing that core role in pvp.

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Ranlares.2513

Ranlares.2513

Personally I don’t think there is much wrong with this games combat. In fact, from what i have read the combar in this game is very well liked by thise who play it (kinda duh). Something like diablo’s system would be very annoying to me personally and i would rather them spend their developement resources doing other things than “fixing” something that is pretty much the identity of gw2.

Sayingthat this game’s combat is dated is kind of ridiculous. Things like a combat system can’t go out of date, they just are what they are. I still play Everquest 2 sometimes because I love the combat style of having loads if abilities on multiple hotbars and finding the rotations to maximize damage. Every game has it’s own system and changing it would be silly, especually a game with as many happy players as gw2.

Other games do action combat differently, sure. Better? Opinions are opinions. I stopped playing Black Desert because it us a pvp oriented game that requires you to do little physical mouse tricks to be top tier (CS:GO cough)

Anyway, long story short, combat systems are what they are, if you dont like one, dont stick around and beg the devs to cater to you, mmos come out so often now just try and find what you like.

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Actually certain mmos have had unique combat systems before 2016 but they are all not very good, and while those combat systems are updated they are repetitive and shallow.

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Which classes gets to use 2h Axes, and which doesn’t? And what about the classes that don’t get to wield 2h Axes?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Heimdallr.7021

Heimdallr.7021

Combat system in GW2 is one of the things that keeps me here.

norn warrior

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Ranlares.2513

Ranlares.2513

Actually certain mmos have had unique combat systems before 2016 but they are all not very good, and while those combat systems are updated they are repetitive and shallow.

Never did i say all were good and did not need updating, I was making the point that this one is not a failure of a game. Any game failing because of it’s combat should relook at it, obviously lol. GW2 does not have this problem, obviously.

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Nighteyess.2149

Nighteyess.2149

I’m a new player to the game and feel the same way. Love the game but the combat has a real dated feel. But enabling the action camera option helped a lot

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Never did i say all were good and did not need updating, I was making the point that this one is not a failure of a game. Any game failing because of it’s combat should relook at it, obviously lol. GW2 does not have this problem, obviously.

I see my bad.

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Just add 2H skins for hammers, like people have been asking for years. Then add more skills for everyone. Done.

If Anet is going to add a new weapon, I hope they choose a more interesting and distinct one, one able to gain totally diferent animations and mechanics, like throwing blades (boomerangs, kpingas, or something like that) or chain weapons (kusarigama, ball and chain, whip, etc.).

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I know GW2 was slated to have 2-h Axes at launch, but I’m curious, where’s the continued interest coming from? WoW?

There are two 2-H axes still in the game that I know of. One is a mordrem axe that’s npc-only, the other is a staff you kinda have to squint to see.

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

the interest comes from D&D fans and general fantasy fans, i want it because since i saw the lord of the rings i wanted to have a character with a 2-H axe.
i am not going to talk about the battle system because it just takes a whole article to fine tune the mess Anet made, long story short, the current battle system is to restricted and chaotic.

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Nemo.5609

Nemo.5609

I know GW2 was slated to have 2-h Axes at launch, but I’m curious, where’s the continued interest coming from? WoW?

There are two 2-H axes still in the game that I know of. One is a mordrem axe that’s npc-only, the other is a staff you kinda have to squint to see.

In the game there’s swords, 2h-swords, maces, 2h-maces (hammers), axes, and no 2h-axes. It makes sense to ask yourself why one is missing from the pattern. Also, the original iconic art for the warrior profession ( https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/) pictures the warrior with a 2h axe.

Nemo me impune lacessit

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

In the game there’s swords, 2h-swords, maces, 2h-maces (hammers), axes, and no 2h-axes. It makes sense to ask yourself why one is missing from the pattern. Also, the original iconic art for the warrior profession ( https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/) pictures the warrior with a 2h axe.

It could be a very large one handed axe…

Unfortunately two handed axes are often just skins attached to hammers. In real life warfare they were often used in the same way as hammers.

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I hardly see how 2h axes would add anything interesting to the game.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

2h axes and the combat

Posted by: That ol noob.7083

That ol noob.7083

I think that there are a few axe-like hammer skins, and since the hammer is often used like a greataxe, the animations should be correct too. I don’t see why we need a separate weapon type for this.

Want a guild in which you actually have a vote?
Contact me and see if you are eligible for Council of Dusk [Dusk]