$50 HOT price Only! Happy to support GW2!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: The Kraken.2347

The Kraken.2347

The price for HOT stand alone ONLY is $50, that is the price of the expansion…. Ok, still following…… Base game is included free to make it easier for new players to get into, which is a good thing.

I still dont understand why so many arent paying attention and think they are buying the original and the expansion.. HOT cost $50, thats what your paying for.

(edited by The Kraken.2347)

Posted by: The Kraken.2347

The Kraken.2347

Also keep in mind, if you think the price is high, your not paying a monthly subscription. It cost money to keep this game running, if you want to keep playing it, dont complain about the price, or just go play wow.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Keep quiet and cover your eyes and ears!

The forum isnt a censored dictatorship. People are allowed to voice their opinions. Telling people to “understand already” isnt going to accomplish anything, especially if you dont even understand why. If Anet wanted people to “understand already”, they should have done damage control by now. An official news about what $50 actually gets you. Not just HoT, but the future of GW2 as a whole. The next living story, halloween events, super adventure box, christmas events, lots of things planned for years to come, all for free, like the last 3 years. Make us hopeful about the game again instead of focusing on HoT alone.

Posted by: Miri Fala.5813

Miri Fala.5813

Because we are having to effectively buy the original, from the looks of it. The vanilla game doesn’t seem to be for sale anymore. Going forward, it appears as if Anet is only going to be selling core + HoT, not core on its own. In which case, original + HoT is the core game as of now. This is forcing existing owners to repurchase an entire software package if they want to upgrade, and then not even giving them two useful copies from it. Even Microsoft gives me a better deal than that.

Posted by: Changer the Elder.2948

Changer the Elder.2948

To clarify the point for at least part of the complainers… or rather, to clarify my point, as the others have their own keyboards to use (and by christ have they been overusing them lately): I’m completely fine with the 50€s for the expansion, both due to the content offered, inflation and lack of monthly fees. It’s the standard of gaming prices and well… if some don’t think it’s worth it, it’s their right to.

What, however, IS the issue, is the double standard.

For example, I could feel like quite the ninny now, as I spent past weeks talking my friends into joining me in Tyria, saying “Look, the game’s not that expensive now and we have this great expansion coming, I tried it out and it looks mighty sweet.” Now I get pointy looks and quotes along the lines of “Mate, had we waited for a week, we’d have saved 20€s!” (which is quite a handy sum in where I live).

It’s always wrong when a company treats part of its customer base as second rate citizens (doubly so if said customer base is the part that’s been giving them money for the past something-short-of three years). New players get the game and a free gift. Yay! Old players get the game and… nothing, possibly except the sour feeling of being shilled. In the language of marketing, that’s basically like saying “Shiv you, player, we already have YOUR money, we need your friends who still have theirs in their wallets.” Which to some can feel downright insulting, to me it at least feels rather inappropriate and… well, too EA-ish for this developer.

Had the veterans got something, albeit tiny, it would soften the blow. I’m not saying we’re entitled to better treatment than new players, but I do claim we should be treated equally. Game + Gift (quite valuable one, too) doesn’t equal Game + whateverelseyouwantyougreedynitwit.

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

I still think if the expansion was a kitteneaper, they would have sold a lot more copies, thus earning more money. The price is fine for me. What’s not fine is the content in it. Currently the only thing I’m interested in the expansion are the new legendary weapons and 50 dollars for just unlocking the legendaries is a bit much. I’d rather spend my $50 on gems than on the expansion now.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: Omocha.4931

Omocha.4931

HoT is not the expansion they’ve initially hinted at. Simple as that. It’s Guild Wars 2 remake. Everything after HoT, be it free, half-free or expansions/addons will need it.

As such, $50 for HoT makes perfect sense, as long as you can convince people to buy the game again, simply because the first time round it wasn’t actually finished and you’ve had to spend to much time and effort into actually delivering the product that is 3 years overdue.

Posted by: Channel.9402

Channel.9402

Oo? What’s the price for the base game now? Can i buy the base game only? If i can’t then the price for base game is included in the 50usd HoT.

It’s just anet trying to see if people are willing to buy a 2 in 1 feature pack patch for 50usd. Cos after this there will be no base game/expansion differentiation. It’s all just a 50usd patch ^^

Now the question is do YOU understand what you’ve been duped into? Probably no, but well at least i tried.

Posted by: Changer the Elder.2948

Changer the Elder.2948

Oo? What’s the price for the base game now? Can i buy the base game only? If i can’t then the price for base game is included in the 50usd HoT.

Actually, that is inaccurate, you still can buy the base game, just not directly from ANet. But third party retailers still have more than just a fistful of codes.

Still, yes, the deal leaves a horrible aftertaste. Local retail lists the expansion separately, so we can presume it will be available post release, but this reeks of fandom baiting – people most interested in pre-purchase are the ones that have been loyal to this game for quite some time. Pre-purchase only comes with the core game inseparably tied into it, which veterans do not need. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I get the goodwill gesture towards new guys, and I welcome it, but I don’t think I deserve to be sold the short stick for equal amount of money just for the horrible crime of sticking with Tyria for three years. :/

Posted by: Egron Redmoon.5764

Egron Redmoon.5764

The price for HOT stand alone ONLY is $50, that is the price of the expansion…. Ok, still following…… Base game is included free to make it easier for new players to get into, which is a good thing.

I still dont understand why so many arent paying attention and think they are buying the original and the expansion.. HOT cost $50, thats what your paying for.

Nothing is free if you have to pay $50 to get it. If the core game truly was free, it would be up for download for everyone. And do you think Anet has no cost activating and maintaining those new player accounts? You can bet that cost will be calculated into the $50, so both new and existing players pay for the new accounts.

The bundle states it comes with the core game (a “free” bonus as later explained by a community rep), but if it truly does come as a “free” bonus, why can’t existing players claim it? Nowhere on that sales page does it say anything about the core game only being included for new accounts, and the fact existing players do not get what they paid for (HoT and Core, as it is apparently included), that makes it false advertising. Either they need to change how the bundle is worded (eg. New players also get access to the core game with their purchase as a welcoming incentive!) or they need to keep to their advertised word and include the bonus for everyone buying the bundle.

Posted by: Wolfeng.3784

Wolfeng.3784

New buyer 1 game + 1 game = 2 games. = 50$
Old Buyer 1 game + 1 game – 1 game (you already own) = 50$

VALUE for money. Understand this already.

Posted by: BladeNinja.4671

BladeNinja.4671

HOT will have more stuff added to it. I believe the LS (which we get every 2 weeks if Anet stays on schedule). will expand HOT into more locations equalling that 50 bucks you’re gonna have to pay to play HOT. (Yes i did just say p2p people ) But a lot of people seem to keep skipping over that part where:

1. We have no subs to pay.
2. The whole games is getting upgraded with all the newer features not just HOT. Imagine going back to a old area in the core game and you getting a msg saying: You can’t use this skill because you are not in HOT locations
3. That 50 bucks is going into the next (possible) 3yrs of fun we get to have until another expansion (maybe). And all the events that are going to be planned.

See things from different perspectives, not just your own

Aura Slicer X Thief. Pvp svr 007 Oh wait! i’m not suppose to tell you that!

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

Here’s the problem. Anet has been discounting GW2 for months and then saying that HoT won’t be standalone and requires the base game. Ok fair enough the game is discounted.

Now the price is revealed and they go “lol jk we’re selling the full package now”

Well then what the kitten was the point in newer players spending $20 for the game and now have to spend another $50 for the expansion and the game.

They could have paid $50 rather than $70, get what I mean?

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

Base game is included free to make it easier for new players to get into, which is a good thing.

yes, you’re right, it is included free.

but not for me. not for anyone who has it already.

plus, as many people have said, “free” in marketing terms is not always free. they might have sold the expansion for $40, or both for $50, claiming that the base game is “free” so that people have to buy the bundle, rather than spending less on just the expansion.

but for me, it’s mostly that a new player can pay $50 and get the core game and expansion. I can pay $50 and just get the expansion.

which means I am literally paying the same amount of money for less.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Because HOT is barely the size of an expansion perhaps, yet is priced as a full game?

It’s like selling someone a new seat for their car, and the car is included for free. The seat just so happens to cost just as much as a new car. Plus if you already have a car, you only get the seat, but still pay the same price.

Don’t you see how shady that is? And an extra character slot isn’t even included with that price. So if you want to play the new profession, many of us need to also pay extra to get an extra slot, which is another $10 bucks, or $25 bucks if you are gullible.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

Value for money is the biggest argument.

If you can seriously tell me that veteran and new players are getting the same value for their money, I will have to question your very existence.

Posted by: MikeE.5947

MikeE.5947

“It’s NOT about the Money, money money….. It’s about the Char Slot…”

I will pay £35, sure no probs… IF it had a char slot.

That’s my only problem. Sure I can pay ~150G and get a slot but I only have 250G and I’ll most likely need that to get my Revenant kitted out. I’m a casual player since 3 day head start and it took ages to get that much gold. I don’t think I’m entitled to anything but FUN.

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

My perceived value of the dlc is 10E. They made it 45E, and even made an insane 100E offer. They have to work way more in this dlc to sell it to me at that price.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Indeed, without the character slot I would not even buy the expansion if it was $35. Because an expansion that costs $35 and has no character slot, is an expansion that is secretly priced at $45.

I don’t like that sort of scamming.

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

Cause you are wrong the kraken, you are not able to buy just HoT for 50.

You only have the option of buyng a bundle of GW2+HoT for 50.

And most important: if you already have GW2, you dont receive the things that you are buying (HoT, and another copy of GW2). You just recieve HoT.

I cant explain it to you better, if you dont understand it, sorry.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Talk about not “getting it”. The only reason people are fixated on the whole base game/expansion thing is because its too expensive. Period. & because of that they are trying to come up with reasons it’s too expensive. & the one everyone seems to cling to is that they must be paying for the core game too, because $50 is too much for this little expac.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Well it IS kind of shady to include the core game for free, yet price a small expansion at the price of a full game.

It makes people wonder, are we paying for HOT + free core game, or for the core game + free HOT?

Posted by: ThatDamnRat.1236

ThatDamnRat.1236

Oh we understand this, I and others like just don’t think this is a reasonable price especially with the actual size of the expansion’s content being so vaguely defined. Given Anet’s track record since launch confidence in their ability to deliver is pretty shaky and justifiably so.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

You asked if we understood I’ll answer for myself, new players get the game + the expansion.

For the same money I pay regardless of which package I choose to buy, a new player gets 5x the value I do. Why do I say 5x? Because GW2 is massive and the xpac isn’t.

Base package for me… HoT (that’s it)
Base package for a new player…
HoT
GW2 the whole game
-5 character slots
-1 bank tab
-1 material storage vault

We pay the same you can’t argue that’s equal value

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Sinope.5630

Sinope.5630

You asked if we understood I’ll answer for myself, new players get the game + the expansion.

For the same money I pay regardless of which package I choose to buy, a new player gets 5x the value I do. Why do I say 5x? Because GW2 is massive and the xpac isn’t.

HoT
GW2 the whole game
-5 character slots
-1 bank tab

Don’t forget what they will have from GW2 Heroic edition too:
+ Suit of Legacy armor
+ 20 slot Mithril box
+ 10 experience boosters

Those who pre purchase GW2 core game didn’t got these. And now they are only selling Heroic edition. So I bet veteran’s will not get these either….

Posted by: Automaton.4926

Automaton.4926

Keep quiet and cover your eyes and ears!

The forum isnt a censored dictatorship. People are allowed to voice their opinions. Telling people to “understand already” isnt going to accomplish anything, especially if you dont even understand why. If Anet wanted people to “understand already”, they should have done damage control by now. An official news about what $50 actually gets you. Not just HoT, but the future of GW2 as a whole. The next living story, halloween events, super adventure box, christmas events, lots of things planned for years to come, all for free, like the last 3 years. Make us hopeful about the game again instead of focusing on HoT alone.

No one is trying to censor the forums. These people Do need to understand already.

Posted by: Automaton.4926

Automaton.4926

HoT
GW2 the whole game
-5 character slots
-1 bank tab

Don’t forget what they will have from GW2 Heroic edition too:
+ Suit of Legacy armor
+ 20 slot Mithril box
+ 10 experience boosters

Those who pre purchase GW2 core game didn’t got these. And now they are only selling Heroic edition. So I bet veteran’s will not get these either….

Except original GW2 can’t be purchased and once the expansion comes out it won’t exist. Games get cheaper and this only helps bring more players into the game which IS A GOOD THING.

Edit: replied to the wrong person sorry!

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

The real question is :

What’s the value of the core game, that we already bought, since now HoT is a stand alone game that inclued core game?

What will happen to the player that bought the core game if it’s replaced by the new stand alone HoT? Will we be kicked? Will we be restricted :
- No access to guild hall (HoT feature)?
- No access to new WvW map (HoT feature)?
- No access to new legendary (HoT feature)?
- No access to new PvP map (HoT feature)?
- Lose access to existing precursor accessibility?
- No access to living story?
- Will we unlock living story chapter when released and not being able to do them?
… etc.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

(edited by Dadnir.5038)

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

The problem is the base game is still selling for nearly £20 / $40 in many places, so there should be a reduced price version for people who have the base game already.

They have offered refunds going back a month but you have to return your account if you claim this.

Posted by: Famine.3164

Famine.3164

Been playing since beta weekends, don’t care if new players get core game for free. I have got so much stuff for free that they won’t.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Because we are having to effectively buy the original, from the looks of it. The vanilla game doesn’t seem to be for sale anymore. Going forward, it appears as if Anet is only going to be selling core + HoT, not core on its own. In which case, original + HoT is the core game as of now. This is forcing existing owners to repurchase an entire software package if they want to upgrade, and then not even giving them two useful copies from it. Even Microsoft gives me a better deal than that.

This is likely a temporary QoL thing. I can imagine some people with get madder still if A-net was “gready enough to be keeping selling the base game when the expansion comes hidden with the base.” Etc…

NSPride <3

Posted by: matrix seishin.5312

matrix seishin.5312

Believe it or not, some of us understand. Here is the problem: 50$ for HoT is a bit too much considering GW2 was that price. Therefor, HoT must have about the same amount of content in order to have such a price. Furthermore, with buying an expansion with a new profession, there must be a character slot in case we don’t have free ones. Even more of a problem is that GW2 was on sale multiple times last year. They got HoT hyped up, people bought the game so they can play HoT later and now they find out they could have gotten it for free with pre-purchase. That is a marketing trick and I dislike anyone who uses such tricks to make money. It means they don’t trust the loyal players to keep playing and buying.

Razor.9872

The cheapest the core game has ever been is $10.

When you buy the expansion, the core game is not actually free, as ArenaNet claims it is. They’re just charging you an extra $10 for the core game — even if you already own it.

Shady and doesn’t feel right. I’m going to wait for HoT to see its first sale before buying.

Proof?

NSPride <3

Razor.9872

Believe it or not, some of us understand. Here is the problem: 50$ for HoT is a bit too much considering GW2 was that price. Therefor, HoT must have about the same amount of content in order to have such a price. Furthermore, with buying an expansion with a new profession, there must be a character slot in case we don’t have free ones. Even more of a problem is that GW2 was on sale multiple times last year. They got HoT hyped up, people bought the game so they can play HoT later and now they find out they could have gotten it for free with pre-purchase. That is a marketing trick and I dislike anyone who uses such tricks to make money. It means they don’t trust the loyal players to keep playing and buying.

It is one they were forced to make. However, I do wish they would allow a character slot for those purchasing the base 50.

NSPride <3

Posted by: matrix seishin.5312

matrix seishin.5312

It is one they were forced to make. However, I do wish they would allow a character slot for those purchasing the base 50.

To be honest that’s my only problem. I don’t want to spend 25$ more just to get a slot + other stuff I don’t really need. I was going to buy HoT anyway, just not with this current deal.

Posted by: Elia.7193

Elia.7193

New players give 50£ and get base game + HoT
I will give 50£ and I will get just HoT …eeemmm why
Anet has decided for me that I will pay the same money but I don’t get a second base game(which would be fine by me, I can use it as storage etc)
Also I am certain that the price is so high because we all paying to make up for the “free” game the new players will receive

Razor.9872

Anet has decided for me that I will pay the same money but I don’t get a second base game(which would be fine by me, I can use it as storage etc)
Also I am certain that the price is so high because we all paying to make up for the “free” game the new players will receive

Because you have potentially had 3+ years to establish yourself and progess, while newer players have had nothing of the sort.

NSPride <3

Elia.7193

Because you have potentially had 3+ years to establish yourself and progess, while newer players have had nothing of the sort.

If I pay for it I want to get it ….. (the extra base game even if I am a veteran player)

(edited by Elia.7193)

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

in case you forgot, we paid for those years.

Razor.9872

in case you forgot, we paid for those years.

I did not forget. This is my point.

NSPride <3

Posted by: ratche.6204

ratche.6204

umm the base game is not free… I picture the pricing conversation as going something like this:
Person 1: “……..so we’ll throw in the old game and charge 50 bucks for it.”

Person 2 “Oh kitten, the vets are gonna be mad we’re charging them for the old game again when they won’t even be able to use it, we better make something up to tell them”

Person 1 " lets just tell them the base game is a freebie added in, they will buy that"

Person 2 “nobody’s going to believe that , anyone with even the most basic knowledge of economics will realize that’s not true”

Person 1 “who cares? lets go take a money bath!”

person 2 “Yay”

Razor.9872

If I pay for it I want to get it …..

Get what? The expansion? Sure you will, just not for a while because that’s how prepurchasing works. But no rush dude, just get it later when you feel more comfortable with released information.

NSPride <3

Razor.9872

umm the base game is not free… I picture the pricing conversation as going something like this:

Person 2 “Oh kitten, the vets are gonna be mad we’re charging them for the old game again when they won’t even be able to use it, we better make something up to tell them”

Person 1 " lets just tell them the base game is a freebie added in, they will buy that"

Person 2 “nobody’s going to believe that , anyone with even the most basic knowledge of economics will realize that’s not true”

Person 1 “who cares? lets go take a money bath!”

person 2 “Yay”

Ummm, the base game is free…..

Just temporarily, though. This will pass. And this is only the case for those who have not had the game up till now.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

That’s what I was thinking.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: GranspearZX.5624

GranspearZX.5624

Meanwhile, full release games with release dates cost $10 more.

Seriously, my money at this point was better spent picking up Fallout 4 than this. It might be worth purchasing when there’s an actual date attached but until then…. who’s really not paying attention?

Elia.7193

If I pay for it I want to get it …..

Get what? The expansion? Sure you will, just not for a while because that’s how prepurchasing works. But no rush dude, just get it later when you feel more comfortable with released information.

I will rephrase : if I pay for the “free” base game I want to get the “free” base game which I can use as a second account, not pay for it and get just the HoT

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

It’s not about the price for the expansion, it’s about the fact that existing players will likely have to pay more to enjoy one of the core features. The price is fair enough for many, many, MANY reasons. The only unfair point in this PR is that they split the playerbase while it’s something they said they wanted to avoid at all cost.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Torgan DeBaku.9534

Torgan DeBaku.9534

What ANet is doing right now is the following:

With GW2: HoT they are replacing the original GW2.

That is why there is no upgrade.

As HoT is NOT an Addon.

Remember what they said? They only want ONE version of the game in shelves out there. Not because the supposedly moronic new customer might get confused with multiple version available at his retailer, but because ANet declared GW2 as we know and play it dead. Long live the new king GW2: Heart of Thorns.

That is why it’s priced as high as a new title at $50.

Because GW2: Heart of Thorns now is GW2.

Hence they are not giving Newcomers the old GW2 for free. Those new customers simply buy the new and upgraded version of GW2 – a GW2.1 if you like – named GW2: HoT. ANet saying it is because they want new players to start right now is nothing but PR talk, a marketing ploy.

At the same time they are royally screwing us long time customers. As we are forced to re-buy GW2 in the form of GW2: HoT as they are not offering a simple GW2 -> GW: HoT upgrade at a lower price.

Proof you say? Simple: you can’t buy GW2 at the ANet store anymore. ANet only offers GW2: HoT as that is the new GW2 they want to sell. The GW2 we got now is dead.

Once a new Addon is released it will replace GW2:HoT and become the new GW2: SomeAwesomeTitle. This too will be offered at $50, no upgrade version, as it will become the new GW2 and we have to buy the base game a third time. Rinse and repeat. Everytime something new comes they force you to buy the base game and previous Addons again, as they do not offer upgrade versions. Awesome for new players, kick in the nuts for long time customers. Shame on you ANet.

(edited by Torgan DeBaku.9534)

Posted by: Aren.9478

Aren.9478

THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY, PRICE IS FINE!

This is about Anet being super, unfairly nice to new players and not at all to veterans. All I want is to be able to trade in that “free core game” for a character slot or some gems, nothing more, is that too much to ask?

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

Here is a possible fix to this, so that both parts feel they get some value for the money.

Customers who don’t have the core game from before gets only the core game and the HoT expansion.

Customers who already got the core game gets.
- 2 Extra character slots.
- 1 Bank slot expansion.
- 1600 gems.
- 1 Selectable armor skin set.
- 10 Transmution charges.
- 1 Total makeover kit.

Something like this would be the best thing for them to do i think.

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

(edited by Timelord.8190)