A Scribe's Lament aka The Optimist Love Story

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: MFNTavlok.6802

MFNTavlok.6802

So since Heart of Thorns has come out, everyone in my 500 player guild started donating and upgrading our guild hall. I looked at a few things and decided that I would dedicate myself in a purely selfless act, and become our guild scribe.

Things were good!

Things were great! I started out and made a chair! Everyone complained that you couldn’t sit in the chair, BUT I COULD! I would stand on the chair and /sit my happy little asuran butt down! I sat the chair down as a badge of honor near the scribing area. I would AFK in the chair for long periods of time just chilling. So proud was I of the chair!

I didn’t have the mats to make a table, so I purchased the mats on the Trading Post. I made a table. I was so proud of the table. I sat my table in front of my chair. Sometimes I would sit on the table instead and meditate. I would watch my guildies go into the arena. Sometimes I would sit and think of new things to make! The table then became my “Architect Table”

Life is good!

Suddenly I found myself able to upgrade things! Ideas flowed freely, inspired by the muse of Lyssa herself!

I instantly set out to make more things! All of a sudden resonating fragments started being needed in my recipies. That was ok! I spent more gold and purchased them on the Trading Post. I had to make better chairs and tables!

Suddenly one day I look up from my Architect Table, brushing aside the designs for new things, and I realize… I have 30 chairs and 30 tables. They are all Fancy too! Boy do I feel a sense of pride, accomplishing stuff for the guild!.

The growth of the guild slows down. We are now level 15.

The chairs and tables are laid out! We even have KEGS! We have a nice little bar area! Everything is GREAT!

Life is good!

Halloween comes. I place pumpkins all over. I surround the fountain with them! They look amazing. I stack them in the corner. I hide in the pumpkins and pop out as people run by in the hall.

Now I get the bright idea to make a garden! I plant a circle of vined bushes. In the middle of them I place rocks isometrically. Dead center is a Spire Topography! There is only one entrance into our garden. The garden is beautiful! All 400 of us love it! Sometimes we sit on the rocks staring in meditation at the spire.

I go on a tree planting spree. I plant some trees and bushes in the water surrounding the arena entrance. It looks fantastic! I planted them in the water so you cant see the pots when you are running to the arena. Everyone tells me how amazing it is! All 400 of us love the garden and the decorations around the arena.

Life is good!

We are guild level 20 now! Growth is coming more sporadically!

I discover that I can make baloons. I cheer at red baloons. Me and my guild leader joke and laugh at the idea to make 99 red baloons. We sing songs and joke. I prepare and buy the mats to make 99 Red Baloons!

I discover I can’t make them yet. It seems we need to upgrade our guild decoration merchant because they do not sell the base item I need to make the red baloons.

I am disheartened, but not discouraged! We will get there!

I upgrade more stuff. Donations towards scribing are at an all time low, but thats ok! I said I would scribe and I’m a stubborn asura! I buy the mats I need off the Trading Post! I have money to spare why not?

I make some pillow cushions to go in the rocks in our garden! All 300 of us in the guild love the pillows! “My Darkis… Thank you for your hard work! This is just so amazing!”

Life is good.

We are guild level 27 now. Growth has significantly slowed.

Suddenly the scribe merchant decides to sell Mortar! I’m estatic. I purchase mortar and immediately start to make statues! I place them everywhere, guarding the entryway points into sections of the hall. All 200 of us enjoy the new statues.

Life is good.

We are guild level 30 now. Growth is a crawl.

I am hopeful! We are only 4 levels away from the red balloons! Me and my guild leader are excited!

I buy the mats that I need to scribe. Donations for decorations are few and far between now. I’m selfless and so I don’t ask people to donate them. I just keep buying them off the Trading Post.

I keep upgrading everything I can.

Life is good….

We are guild level 31 now. There is no guild growth.

There are no more donations for decorations or upgrades. I buy all the mats I need off the Trading Post. I try and just level scribing by making the cheapest thing I can to level. I also make any new thing that I haven’t already made. That way we have an example. The most expensive thing I need now are the resonating slivers. But thats ok, I have the money to buy them. Also I get them from donations after guild missions. Of course I have to mention that I need them for scribing every week on mission night. Thats ok though because…

Life is good…

We are guild level 31 still. There is no guild growth. Our guild experience is maxed and we didn’t level.

I am disheartened.

Guild mission day! 100 people participate! Everything goes great. At the end of the missions I do my normal shout out for Resonating Slivers (So I don’t have to buy as much from the Trading Post). A guild officer says “Why would I donate them? I can sell them for a lot of money on the Trading Post!”

I get no donations of resonating slivers, and I am down to my last 1000 gold. I write an 8 page (8 mails to max letter count) to our guildmaster because she isn’t on. I complain to noone but her. I don’t want others to see my weakness.

That’s ok because

Life is good….

I am disheartened.

Patch day! CHRISTMAS EVENTS ARE HERE!

I am overjoyed as I read the patch notes! CHRISTMAS ITEMS! I frantically log in and remove our halloween decorations. I run to the vendor and check what I need. I run back to the scribe section and check what I need. I shout out to my 50 guildies and tell them what I need to make our hall festive!

I recieve 7 Flawless snowflakes.

I sigh and head to the trading post. I purchase 20000 Flawless snowflakes! I make piles of snow! I decorate the hall. I “Freeze” the fountain by playing with the decorations until they cover the water. I put snow on the stairs. I place wreaths by our statues in our guild hall. I place snow in our garden. The hall is now ready for Christmas! Everything is beautiful! All 20 of us love it!

I look at the scribe merchant. He gives me a nod. I go to my stupid table. I look at what I can do as a level 340 scribe. I don’t have the mats for it. All 20 of us can’t afford to donate anything. I can farm mats to make a chair I think. But we have 42 chairs. I know! I’ll go to the Trading Post! I look in my wallet. Nope. I’m broke. 27853 gold is gone.

Life is ….

3 days before christmas.

We are guild level 32

I log in for the 5th day in a row to ask if anyone can spare some mats. Nobody can spare anything. I’m frustrated. Our guild leader has not been on. All 10 of us can’t afford to donate anything. We are all broke. I am disheartened.

Life is ….

Christmas Eve

I log in. I sit there in the guild hall for a moment. I walk around and admire my accomplishments. I admire the decorations. I take pictures. I dance by them. I pull out my harp and play christmas carols. 10 people are not in our hall. I love the peace and quiet. I go to the garden and sit for a while. I take a stroll to our crystal and admire the wyvern statues. I walk down to the arena and trim the trees. I walk to our scribe area and admire my bookshelves next to table and chair. I sit for a moment.

An hour passes. Two hours pass. Nobody walks by.

I turn the table over in a fit of rage. I smash the bookcases with the chair removing them from my sight. I run to the arena and chop down the trees and bushes. I head to the crystal and smash the statues. I go to our banquet area and shoot kitten in the kegs with my rifle. As the ground soaks with booze I smash the tables and chairs. I clean all the snow off the stairs and set fire to the wreaths. Last I run to the garden steaming with rage. I stop. What am I doing? I removed all the decorations. I suddenly start thinking of what all has happened. Tears stream down my face. I slowly destroy the garden.

Life ….

Christmas Day.

All the decorations in our hall have been removed. I removed the guild message asking for donations. I have 14 gold and 40 silver left. I have almost no mats in my bank. I am a level 340 scribe.

The 29th…

Only I notice the decorations are gone.

I think to myself as I walk away from our hall: “It’s over… I will scribe no more.”

Life was good.

Darkis LIfeblood 340 Scribe

Attachments:

(edited by MFNTavlok.6802)

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Excuse me for a moment, I think some dust got in my eyes.

Manly dust, mind you. Manly.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

The master scribe warned us all.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Teaniel.9052

Teaniel.9052

Well written, Darkis. Sorry you had such a rotten Christmas.
You should post some screenshots. I want to see the frozen fountain, and the asura in his first chair.

We’re going to devote our energies to sports, gardening, all the cultural pursuits;
in fact, we’re going to put the goons to sleep.
Meanwhile – we dig.

MFNTavlok.6802

I attached a few photos. This is not nearly all that I took. Its enough to paint a picture though. There were so many more things that were in the hall for all to enjoy. In the end it mattered only to me.

Darkis

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

That was an epic tale of scribing.

Posted by: Flop Sweat.3456

Flop Sweat.3456

That’s scribing.

So, uhh… yeah.

Anet?

Do something? Scribing is pretty horrible.

Graey Mance-Iron Legion Engineer.
There when you need him.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Not even the most ardent of the blindly loyal can deny the sharpness of your truth sword! It’s double-edge cuts through the sinew and marrow of the matter!

Also, it breaks my heart.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Did it really cost you 27k gold to get to Scribe 340?? O.o

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Thank you for that tale, and that warning.

Someone from ArenaNet ought to read this story, but of course they won’t.

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

Posted by: Fey Zeal.7032

Fey Zeal.7032

Did it really cost you 27k gold to get to Scribe 340?? O.o

Took me about 2k to get to scribe 350 but that was after they added recipes to use and upgrade resonance. I did not go the path of making decoration I made consumables mostly.

If he tried to level scribe by crafting decoration he probably could have spent a great deal of cash. He was also crafting decorations simply to try and make decorations which requires allot of cash.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Scribes and guild halls really are a precarious investment.

I won’t rehash everything that can go wrong with scribes and guild halls but I will say this,

Choose wisely.

In your case, 500 man guild dying like that is so sad ;-(

It’s a strong line of thinking to make guildhalls and scribes a dedicated effort for guilds, but truth is that guilds come and go.

I’ve been in 1 small guild that died
3 medium guilds that have died
And right now I’m in another medium guild

I don’t think [strm] will go away anytime soon but nothing lasts forever ;-(

So, enjoy the good times for when the bad times come you will remember how to find the good times once again and move forward.

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

So since Heart of Thorns has come out, .

…. I know! .. I’m broke. 27853 gold is gone.

Life is ….

$3,450 USD can buy 138 Gem Cards for 276,000 gems which gives about 27,876 gold at current 100 gem 10.1 rate.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/gem

Fire Water Air
FA

MFNTavlok.6802

You have to understand a few things about my story. Yes I did spend 27853 gold. It was not all on scribing, there are mats I funneled into the guild off the Trading Post in order to upgrade the guild. The actual amount I spent on scribing is probably closer to 18k. The idea of the red balloons brought much happiness to us. Of course we stopped at level 32. Even if we hit 34 now, I doubt we would have the mats to get the decoration merchant upgraded.

Our guild currently has 376 members. 360 that haven’t logged on in one month plus. I think one of the biggest problems that led to this, was the split off when HoT came out. We created a ‘sub guild’ in order to have both PvP and PvE missions every week. This created a rift of materials.

In the beginning everyone (500) helped to upgrade the hall. About midway it was 30 of us supplying the needed materials. In the end it was 5 of us supplying mats.

When I started scribing I had 1500 of almost every mat. Now I’m lucky if I have 30.

I started scribing before anyone knew the recipies, and there were very FEW materials in the Trading Post. I farmed crystalline ore for hours at a time doing pod runs so that I could buy the basic decorations to upgrade. Scribing was still broken at the start.

Very few donations were ever received by me from guild members, the most being one person who loved the garden, and donated 500 of each colored dye pigment. They gave me exactly what I needed at the time to make quite a few things. The standard was about 30-40 logs. For the non scribing record, a single item can take thousands of logs to make.

I was asked by the guild leader at one point if I needed gold out of the guild bank. I told her no, because I was quite wealthy. I eventually took 300 gold near the end to make a personal item (I did this with the guild leaders permission, and this was in no way related to scribing.)

I posted this not for sympathy. I regret nothing I have ever done for my guild.

We are still a guild. (Just a lot less active) I even had the few of us that are still around come and read this. I asked them not to post, for the same reason I did not mention our guild name. I mean all of this to ring into people’s minds. For this can happen to anyone. (And I’m sorry X… I didn’t mean to make you cry or feel sadness,)

I post this in the sincerest hopes that people will read it and take heed. It is a very true and saddening story, but in the end we were all happy.

For a time, all things end.

One day, I will have the 99 red balloons in our hall. (But not for the forseable future.)

Darkis

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I think a large part of the reason why everybody was happy to chip in at first was because it hadn’t yet sunk in that (just about) everything in HoT requires either massive amounts of cash, or massive amounts of grind. There’s perhaps a handful of guildies in my own guild who I know pour in quite a lot of money and materials and have funded the vast majority of our guild upgrades. I donate what I can, but since I’m going for a lot of the shinies from HoT, donations mean that my own goals would need to be put back. And so I only end up donating stuff that I have a lot of excess of (namely, stuff like Tomes of Knowledge, Mystic Crystals, some of the HoT map currencies that I don’t need anymore), because I need to hoard everything else.

This is perhaps the single biggest flaw with the way HoT’s cost structure was designed. Players are forced to choose between their own personal goals and the goals of their guild. The unfortunate truth is that for many, many players (myself included), the guild must come second. And for the people who choose the other way around, they naturally feel quite resentful over time that “I’m doing all the work for the guild! The others are just reaping the rewards of my contributions!” And that causes strife and friction in otherwise harmonious guilds.

If the guild hall was designed as the main money and item sink, but players could acquire the stuff fairly easily (and didn’t need a lot of it personally), they’d no doubt be quite happy to put their excess towards the guild. ANet has obviously designed everything with the long-term goal of keeping players occupied for a LONG time, and perhaps 3 years down the line, this decision may prove to be the right one. But in the interim I think it’s causing a lot of player unhappiness because it feels like “everything is locked behind grind!”, and ANet should perhaps take a second look at rebalancing stuff before this discontent reaches levels where people start leaving.

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

I post this in the sincerest hopes that people will read it and take heed.

Most posted are buried in this forum in just a few days. People will read what is accessible and usually it is on the first couple pages of the forum.

ANet should perhaps take a second look at rebalancing stuff before this discontent reaches levels where people start leaving.

Anet probably made a lot of money with the pre-sale of the expansion and gems afterwards.

It also planned for a declining player base and made the game Free to Play to counter.

With the way this form designed, it can control its messages where new players would not know these stories and relive them.

It is designed to get players’ time and gold with an addiction usually characterized by short happiness and long term pain.

Fire Water Air
FA

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Well of course noone will donate because everyone needs stuff for themselves. I find myself in that same loophole and do almost everything by myself in our guild although I am not even officer
I will probably regret all this effort for the guild one day

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

I post this in the sincerest hopes that people will read it and take heed.

Most posted are buried in this forum in just a few days. People will read what is accessible and usually it is on the first couple pages of the forum.

ANet should perhaps take a second look at rebalancing stuff before this discontent reaches levels where people start leaving.

Anet probably made a lot of money with the pre-sale of the expansion and gems afterwards.

It also planned for a declining player base and made the game Free to Play to counter.

With the way this form designed, it can control its messages where new players would not know these stories and relive them.

It is designed to get players’ time and gold with an addiction usually characterized by short happiness and long term pain.

Then, as veterans, we should heed this tale and make sure it isn’t forgotten to time.

Posted by: Spookey.8609

Spookey.8609

This post rang so true in my ears as I’m the Scribe/Guild Hall upgrader for our guild. Take what this post says and consider what a 10 person guild goes through. We started out very excited about our new Guild Hall until reality set in. We have several dedicated people who have donated a lot to the guild and we have made it to level 28. Unfortunately, upgrades have come to a halt because the cost is too astronomical for a small guild (and I guess for a 500 people guild also). Several of our members have migrated to larger guilds where they don’t have to give up their personal goals to support the guild.

We now realize that we will not make our goal of getting to guild level 37 and upgrading to War Room “Supply Capacity” to be able to +5 WvW supply camps. As a small guild that specializes in Havoc parties, we live and die on the ability to carry 20 supply. The new WvW maps have made the ability to run supply even harder.

I have given up on leveling Scribe to 200 (costs thousand of gold) so that we can craft catapults. Yes, we can buy catas on the TP but can’t afford to spend over 1g each (and the price is raising).

I don’t know what Anet’s grand plan is, but apparently it doesn’t include small guilds that like to run havoc in WvW.

Zerg on.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This is the problem with the entire scribing guild hall thing. There’s always going to be a tiny percentage of people that drive it forward. 500 people in a guild and maybe 15 or 20 will end up contributing.

We have a couple of hundred people in my guild. We’re level 34. Didn’t bother with much scribing yet, because the materials you need for scribing, in part are the same materials you need for the guild hall itself.

So instead of splitting stuff up, we’re just working on the guild hall as a long term project and when we have it higher, I’ll work on scribing.

The problem is the pressure it puts on the people who are carrying everyone else. It’s not a good design from that point of view.

We have a number of people in our guild who put stuff into the guild regularly but there are as many who don’t. Actually far more who don’t. That’s why I’m taking my time and telling everyone this is a long, long term goal. Just do a little. Don’t put yourself out there too far.

Some people listen, some give more than they can afford…despite my warnings.

That said, I still love having the guild hall. I’m just not going to rush building the guild hall.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Thank you for that tale, and that warning.

Someone from ArenaNet ought to read this story, but of course they won’t.

Because it’s not on Reddit…

Posted by: Testudo.4620

Testudo.4620

My heart shattered

Zhaife
Graduated top of class esports academy
#1 on fractal leaderboards

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Very well written OP. Touching.

Posted by: Rin of Rivvinda.4971

Rin of Rivvinda.4971

Touching story OP and nicely written. I feel you as i notice a decline of members contributing to the guildhall treasury overtime as well.

On a side note… If you just want to level a scribe up, you can do it for arround 1000 gold (from 0 to 400) assuming you order everything you need on the tradingpost. (buy ordering makes it 1200 gold) arround 60% of the costs are the resonating slivers that you need though…. You need guild unlocks though to be able to craft the things that help you level up for a lot less gold (read WvW upgrades mainly and balloons). Also be sure to include 5 backpacks to get past lv 280-300, and be sure to use a crafting booster.

Crafting decorations makes things a LOT more expensive…..

So i’m at 400 scribe now but i hardly craft anything besides the wintersday ice sculpure, tree and snowmakes since its so terrible expensive for each item…(and we still have more guild upgrades to finish)

Vin Lady Venture, of The Rising Falcons [RiFa]
member of the Fissure of Woe (FoW) community

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Well written and worth the read.

Scribing is not cheap. I don’t think anyone disagrees. I think it will be adjusted over time.

But…..this reminds me a tale from the history books about a city that focused on beatification versus spending anything for defense.

There is a lot of things wrong or potentially outside of your story that is disturbing.

First off in a smaller guild with less than a dozen of us working on the guild hall. We are at level 37. I know how much gold I have put into the process by my own choice and an idea on some others. That said it would have been cheaper if items were not rushed. A lot of people are building guilds fast, but outside of WvW is that needed? If you don’t rush build a lot of the materials needed are items you are already going to acquire over time.

With the amount of gold that you spent on scribing your guild could have potentially been maxed out. How much of the resources were spent on scribing that could have been spent to build out features for the guild.

A key to the halls is engaging your members and making sure that the guild is returning value for the resources that your members donated. Making a lovely garden is nice in the long term, but did you do it at the price of boosts for your guild, vendors that could save them laurels for recipes? What benefit did that provide to the members that funded those items. I hear you when you said you paid for it yourself, but that was choice. I am sorry but just because one can doesn’t mean one should. Leveling scribing follows the same path as any craft in GW2 at its base and that’s what’s the best bang for the buck(coin). People are still figuring that out. Did all of the items you craft add to your crafting level or were things made that were because you could?

As I said I am not advocating that scribing doesn’t need adjusting, but I am also left with the feeling that some poor decisions were made here as well, which could be a mistake on my part. But I do know that you don’t have to craft to raise your guild level and acquire boons for your guild. The more a guild can aid its members the more the members will aid the guild.

Hoping better times for you and appreciate you sharing your experience. Good hunting!

Edit: spelling

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

(edited by TheGrimm.5624)

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

I feel for you man. What was supposed to be a glorious and fun aspect of the game (guild halls and guild hall decorating) has turned into an expensive, contentious, guild killing debacle.

I would love to get the meeting minutes for the discussions on guild hall upgrade and scribing requirements. It looks like it was put together by the same guy who initially set the WvW achievement levels (original Yakslapper AP would have taken 10 years straight of killing a yak every 5 minutes (no breaks, no sleeping.))

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Excellent story, OP.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Lauren.3061

Lauren.3061

This was really interesting to read, and of course really sad… definitely turns me off to the scribe thing. Sounds like something that would be completely out of reach for your average small group guild. I hope this system gets looked at.

~Arabella

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

How on earth did you manage to grind that much gold without going completely insane in the first place?