A case against Fungus Amoung Us

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tritone.1395

Tritone.1395

Simply put this content is not ok. (Keep in mind all of these complaints are directed towards getting gold/silver in Fungus Amoung Us)

This adventure needs to be fixed because it is punishing. To achieve gold you need to have a godly amount of precision to actually finish within the time.

Lets look at the 1 skill. The issue with this ability is that it is very awkward to use. You perform 3 hops that can leap you over edges. It’s too hard to master. The mechanic itself isn’t necessarily the problem. The issue stems from the layout of the course and the amount of precision it requires.

Now looking at the 2 skill. This one is a mess. You perform a jump, which will give you access to another jump. If you try to perform the jump too early it will hop you in place, wasting alot of time. To make matters worse there is a time limit, so you need to know your range otherwise you’re probably going to mess up.

Now lets looks at the latter half of the course (after you pass through the waterfall). The first punishing issue is the falling rocks section. The area is congested which means your camera may get blocked by the hanging vines. It’s happened to me many times. Next is the fact that the rock cause screen shake. How am i supposed to navigate a tight space when my screen is all of the place.

The next issue is after you pass the checkpoint on the tree (Checkpoint 5 i believe) you have to perform a 1 hop perfectly to make it on to the tree. If you are lucky enough to make it onto the branch you then go down to a very small platform. The issue is that the platform has just enough space to perform a 2 jump, otherwise you fall to your death. It’s just too punishing.

To make matters worse, if you have any form of lag it makes executing on these exponentially worse. I would almost say that if you experience any lag, your run is basically over.

What all of this is trying to show is that this content is too punishing for players to complete. The fact that mastery points are tied to this makes it all the worse. Once mastery points are tied to something it becomes required (somewhat) to progress.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Getting silver did take me some effort and watching gold run videos. I haven’t got gold yet (but am nonetheless maxed on masteries). I had to learn where to stand to do the 2 jumps, and the second part leaps took me a bit longer than they might for some since I mouse move and thus must stop running while I position the target. In the falling rocks area I just learned where the red circles were as they never change position and ran around the first pair and 1-skipped the second set, making sure I had the speed boost from just after the waterfall first. The first part that you complain of is naturally the one that gets run the most when learning the course, so I got the timing down on that pretty fast.

The videos did show me that there are a few options other than that annoying narrow branch.

For screen shake go into options and toggle it off. I did that way back when engineers got the ability to shake other people’s cameras and were spamming it at the DR bank and have never missed it since. For vines blocking the view, yes, that annoys me too. I have to spin my mouse wheel up to zoom in long enough to get past that, then quickly back out so I don’t puke with motion sickness as I keep running. But camera zoom is super fast if you have it on default mouse wheel control.

I am not a super master player. I do not have major twitch reflexes. I still managed silver (after watching vids to find shortcuts) in a total of an hour or two of effort spread out over a number of attempts. I don’t know if A Fungus Among Us is one of the adventures that got tweaked to make it easier, but I did it before that change.

I agree some of the adventures are “too punishing.” (For my skill level). This one proved doable (by me) after some effort.

Tritone.1395

Those are some good tips. I didn’t know about the screen shake thing.

I do think doable and punishing are two different things. Something that is punishing can be doable. When I say punishing I mean that the adventure, as a whole, requires alot of precision that the skills don’t help with.

Should all content be doable by everyone. No, then there’d be no incentive, but I believe that adventures give two mastery points for a reason. Silver should be doable with a little bit of practice. Gold should be doable with an understanding of the mechanics and a bit of precision. Anything beyond that is for the leaderboards.

There are other options available to me, but it is a shame that I can’t complete this content because it is too punishing.

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

The 2 skill is messy indeed, but I found this adventure much more fun than many others. Really enjoyed getting gold on this, despite what you said, it’s still way better than stupid RNG farming at shooting gallery or fallen masks.
I like when getting gold actually takes precision and memorization and you don’t have to rely on simply lucking out.

(also, haven’t really checked this out since april 19th but apparently gold is now even more forgiving than it used to be, I’d say there’s plenty of room for error now)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The 2 skill is messy indeed, but I found this adventure much more fun than many others. Really enjoyed getting gold on this, despite what you said, it’s still way better than stupid RNG farming at shooting gallery or fallen masks.
I like when getting gold actually takes precision and memorization and you don’t have to rely on simply lucking out.

(also, haven’t really checked this out since april 19th but apparently gold is now even more forgiving than it used to be, I’d say there’s plenty of room for error now)

A bunch of seconds was added to Fungus Among Us for gold and Shooting Gallery is less RNG dependent.

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Achieving a good leaderboard score probably requires to execute extremely precise #1 and #2 moves. None of this is required, however, to get gold with a decent margin.

You don’t need to use #1 to jump over edges.
On a regular run, I use the skill exactly 6 times and only once, which doesn’t require precise positioning at all, to jump between platforms. I could do that jump without using any transformation skill and still get gold with some spare seconds left.

As for skill #2, I use it three times, none of them again on a platfporm small enough to require precise timing or positioning.

It really looks like you’re trying to get silver/gold by using advanced moves which are not even remotely required.

Posted by: ardhikaizecson.3697

ardhikaizecson.3697

i achieved my silver in a tenth run, this adventure might be hard but it didnt annoy me at all.

Tritone.1395

Achieving a good leaderboard score probably requires to execute extremely precise #1 and #2 moves. None of this is required, however, to get gold with a decent margin.

You don’t need to use #1 to jump over edges.
On a regular run, I use the skill exactly 6 times and only once, which doesn’t require precise positioning at all, to jump between platforms. I could do that jump without using any transformation skill and still get gold with some spare seconds left.

As for skill #2, I use it three times, none of them again on a platfporm small enough to require precise timing or positioning.

It really looks like you’re trying to get silver/gold by using advanced moves which are not even remotely required.

The small area I’m talking about is after checkpoint 5 and right before 6. It’s very small for the hop that 2 performs.

Overall I think we just have a difference of opinions. I’ve used these mechanics and I genuinely believe them to be too clunky. They make the adventure too hard in my opinion.

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

The small area I’m talking about is after checkpoint 5 and right before 6. It’s very small for the hop that 2 performs.

Just checked it. The platform is indeed to small for #2, but there’s no need to use the skill there unless you’re aiming for high scores far beyond gold.
Between 5 and 6 you should be more than fine just with a #1 after the checkpoint, which doesn’t need to be precise once you are not going to follow it with a #2, and regular run and jumping after that.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I got gold on my 5th try. Watch the youtube guides.

Fungus Among us is among the most forgiving gold timers.

If you think Fungus is bad, you haven’t done Fallen Masks.

Fallen Masks gold medal is impossible without good RNG and ping. It’s that ridiculous.

The rest of all the other adventures I completed fairly.

Shooting Gallery is another one I despised simply because of the miserable frogs spawning and harassing you while you were on the cusp of a gold medal. And it’s another RNG filled adventure.

Short of Fallen Masks and Shooting Gallery I didn’t find other adventures who were unfair for a gold medal.

I DO think that adventures should NOT be locked out while meta is going on.

I should get a godkitten say on what content I want to do, not be forced to wait 40 miserable minutes to continue trying to get a gold medal.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Silver is easy, but gold took my a while. About 40-50 tries before they made them easier though. Just keep trying.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

This one took me ages. AGES. I Hated on it, I gave up, I came back, I repeated that a few times, and finally I got it. Like most other easy things, if I had completed it in the first run, I’d have turned my back to it, never to returned. It’s the hard things that create the fun and progressive experience for the player. If you want something easy, go salvage pit, and forget about the hard stuff. You don’t Need to take it anyway. If you’re a completionist, Live with that some achievements are hard to get.
There is no sense of Achievement, if you were not challenged doing it.

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.