A drop in players?

A drop in players?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Before HOT came out i was always around the 850-950 on the leader board when it came to achievement points. I havent done many of the PvE achievement points and the new event stuff. Ive tried to join raids but every group i join fails and its a big blame game. I didnt enjoy the new WvW and PvP has been stale.

There is alot of people defending HOT and i agree that the PvE areas are amazing but for someone who plays all of the game and mostly sticks to PvP and WvW this expansion didnt do much for me. I for the last 2-3 weeks have been only doing dailies and started to play other games. Yet i am now at 756 on the AP leader board. Which means that the 200+ people who were always in front of me quit playing the game.

People will probably sit here and say ohhh we dont need them this game is great. Others will say whats not to like we got raids, PvP, WvW, updated bosses, this game is great.

I sit here in the middle since i love core GW2. Before HOT came out there were only a few things i didnt like and i loved the rest of it. Ive played alot hours with the new HOT and i just want to state like in my other posts that i didnt enjoy it but i didnt hate it. I hate the story of HOT, love the PvE area and gliders, i wished we had mounts, i wanted more PvP maps, fractals are what they are, WvW was destroyed, Guild halls look amazing but simply put they are huge toilets for mats and no one goes there.

Its just hard that this game was a game for a good 1-2 years when it came out that my guild loved this game and came on daily. Now with little patch updates, no new content, frustrating parts of the game such as bugs and unfulfilling story content and the biggest seperation of a player base that was already dwindling. Im just wondering if anyone else is noticing that the game seems to have less and less people playing it? And if you guys are just wondering if Anet is working on making the game fun again and not just for PvE players.

A drop in players?

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

They’ve moved away from what gw2 was that challenged what an mom was, trinity etc. The gear grind has returned but is well hidden. And we are grinding it stagnant my as there is no possible progression.

A drop in players?

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

No OP you are not the only one noticing this. I’ve noticed a decline in logins across all 5 guilds I was in, I left two this week, I still have another two that might have one other person that still logs in. I have one guild thats still kinda big, and even its numbers (out of 400 people only 45 have logged in the last 2 months) are dwindling. My friends list shows a very similar story, I might see one or two people on at once during the day.

At this point, I don’t even really have a group to go around and do stuff with. So I just do daily fractals, roam around in eb or open world for a bit and then log off. A lot of people that are left describe the same situation, and often disappear as well in about a week.

In regards to HoT content it’s self… The maps are great. How the maps function are terrible. Most of the content in HoT is not inherently hard, what makes them hard is finding other people to do the content with or testing your patients on how long you can wait till you can do a particular map.

I can’t blame the people that left though, I spend more time waiting on doing things than anything else.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

A drop in players?

Posted by: Thamriyell.5490

Thamriyell.5490

Regarding people playing the game, I have a pretty long list of people on my Friend’s List. I was able to rack up the friends’ list as long as it is (Maybe like almost 100 people of so, not too sure, but its certainly a long list) while doing a let’s play on GW2 and I was able to meet all kinds of people that watched my videos. We talked all the time whenever I got on to record my character’s progression and I was able to meet some amazing and helpful people that I felt I got close to. We even made an in-game YouTube guild and were planning to do guild stuff together with all the people that joined in and record/stream it. It was really fun meeting new people and read out messages and write them back as I met players that offered hints, tips, and sometimes useful items since I was a complete newbie to the game.

Ever since HoT entered, the active daily people count on my friends’ list started to dwindle as people experienced HoT. Some started to get on less and less, others silently left and I never heard from them again. At this point, only like 7-8 people are on at most and about 3-4 on average, and majority of them are people who either play GW2 HoT as their only MMO/Game or people who are raiding and have a dedicated position in a Guild. (Chrono, Druid etc.) We were able to get the Guild Hall, but after that, everything is usually dead. I sometimes drop some gold for the building material needed for things, but otherwise its pretty dead at the moment. Anyone can join at any time, but it does feel very barren when there are so many grayed-out names on the friends’ list.

What I noticed most when entering HoT is that people seem to be really tense when the topic is HoT as an expansion and when people voice their feedback on it. Sometimes when someone asks me how I feel about X or Y in HoT, it feels like I am interrogated; almost as if I need to watch what I say or if my response doesn’t fit the person’s expectation, they jump on me trying to disprove anything that I feel about the expac and shoving my opinion, just a simple opinion, as wrong and blasphemous! (dramatic hand-waving for impact).

Some of my good buddies on the game even started to outright berate me for disliking X or Y or Z or all three altogether, as if something is wrong with ME that I don’t like a particular part of the expac that I felt could have been executed better. Ooo, opinions are scary! I get if someone doesn’t agree with my opinion and that’s cool and all, but I don’t think I need to be berated for not liking one or few things that are in Masteries. I stopped talking to some of them, but pretty stupid how a DLC causes people to get over-emotional and even cut ties like that. Its sad as well, but its also pretty dumb imo to stop talking to someone over difference in opinions. I have 3-4 best friends and I never just stop talking to them over a differentiating opinion regarding any topic at hand.

What I once knew as the Canadians of MMO’s (caring, jolly bunch) is now split between people who are Gung-Ho and Elitist attitudes about the expansion, people who have concerns over the expansion, and then the silent bunch that simply lives quietly in the back. I am sure there are plenty of people that don’t care about forum nonsense and still play, but even in world chat I started noticing that elitism and berating happening, which is getting annoying to see as of recent.

From my end, I can see there is some decline on active players, at least from people that I know on my friends’ list, and I used to talk to people pretty regularly on there. Maybe its just the downtime because of no major patches came around, but I am pretty sure a good chunk of people left the game because it wasn’t what they hoped the expansion was going to be.

A drop in players?

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

a lot of veteran players have quit the game, in my own guild, i have a few members who played 2 years+ quit the game just because of HOT.

the game is noticeably shrinking

the white knights will continue to say the game is fun and all but the reality is, it isn’t as fun as they think it is. the white knights argument is centered on HOT specified maps while players are not looking at just those maps, but the whole game itself.

anet need to look at the bigger picture and fix all the things and complete the incomplete contents

personally, im also looking out for new games

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

A drop in players?

Posted by: billk.3980

billk.3980

I’m not quitting the game because i still have lots of classes to try out and have only played 6 months but i’m done with the new maguuma jungle area because i can’t solo at all and there are hardly any people around to make groups like there are in the older game areas.
I die pretty much every 10 minutes because every mob seems to be a champion,veteran along with a bunch of lower mobs.
They roll over you and toss you around like a rag doll .
I can’t do hero points alone either.
The new area is almost empty and the old area is still packed .
It reminds me of wild star .Hardcore gamers love it but most people want to have fun so it was dying. .

A drop in players?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

If you check the top 50 NA leaderboards for AP, at least 3 quit. One moved to EU and quit (la desse feline), that’s almost 10%. These are guys with over 30k AP and don’t just up and leave for no reason.

why not? If I would have got over 30k AP I would have been pretty tired of it. Atleast I would take a break until new content arrived that I could blast through.

I woder what game you are playing becouse I don’t see any empty maps except right after a successfull meta event. There are always people around and almost always someone around to help with HPs. Maby the EU playerbase is bigger than the NA, I dunno.

I think the game works like a ongoing machine, a player starts to play the game (Alot of new players on the main areas) and then some quit and some continues to HoT (Thats maby why there are less players on HoT maps) and when they are “done” they quit (Atleast for a while) and repeat. Then there are cases like me who have played the game since release and are still enjoying it. But yes, since it been a while since HoT release it is true there are less players now than at release of HoT and also there is a few new games on the market that takes away some players. I am going to take a break from GW2 when I can afford Xcom2 for example, some are playing BnS but some will be back when they are grown tired of that and so on.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

A drop in players?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If there is a drop in active players then it’s to be expected as it always happens around this time after an expansion. Until Anet starts back up with content updates, things will continue in this direction until the next expansion.

A drop in players?

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Of course the old players are quitting, they’ve been playing for what 3 years now? Chances are many where just looking for the slightest excuse to rage quit.

I say this because it’s been my experience in MMOs that people typically only last 3-4 years in a given game before they become “disillusioned” and quit. I myself came here just before HOT after being disenfranchised with SW:TOR after playing said game for 3 years.
Old players go, new ones come.

I find this game to great, and HoT seems fun. Granted I’ve only played this game since September. Give me another 2.5 years and I’ll probably be writing compliant threads and threatening to quit too.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

A drop in players?

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Of course the old players are quitting, they’ve been playing for what 3 years now? Chances are many where just looking for the slightest excuse to rage quit.

You are completely missing the point. HoT was released exactly because people had been playing for 3 years and were mostly done with the game. It was suppose to refresh the game, give people new things to do and keep them generally busy for next 3 years. Yet, it achieved completely opposite – a lot of people quit the game after HoT instead of returning to the game.

A drop in players?

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Before HOT came out i was always around the 850-950 on the leader board when it came to achievement points. I havent done many of the PvE achievement points and the new event stuff. Ive tried to join raids but every group i join fails and its a big blame game. I didnt enjoy the new WvW and PvP has been stale.

There is alot of people defending HOT and i agree that the PvE areas are amazing but for someone who plays all of the game and mostly sticks to PvP and WvW this expansion didnt do much for me. I for the last 2-3 weeks have been only doing dailies and started to play other games. Yet i am now at 756 on the AP leader board. Which means that the 200+ people who were always in front of me quit playing the game.

People will probably sit here and say ohhh we dont need them this game is great. Others will say whats not to like we got raids, PvP, WvW, updated bosses, this game is great.

I sit here in the middle since i love core GW2. Before HOT came out there were only a few things i didnt like and i loved the rest of it. Ive played alot hours with the new HOT and i just want to state like in my other posts that i didnt enjoy it but i didnt hate it. I hate the story of HOT, love the PvE area and gliders, i wished we had mounts, i wanted more PvP maps, fractals are what they are, WvW was destroyed, Guild halls look amazing but simply put they are huge toilets for mats and no one goes there.

Its just hard that this game was a game for a good 1-2 years when it came out that my guild loved this game and came on daily. Now with little patch updates, no new content, frustrating parts of the game such as bugs and unfulfilling story content and the biggest seperation of a player base that was already dwindling. Im just wondering if anyone else is noticing that the game seems to have less and less people playing it? And if you guys are just wondering if Anet is working on making the game fun again and not just for PvE players.

I’m a WvW focused player, yea, my friends list has 4 out of about 100ish people who occasionally log in as well.

My small guilds who I either ran with or occasionally joined for stuff are all gone. All, literally.

The few people remaining scattered into large or mid size guilds and they are logging in very infrequently. I myself are down to about 2-3 times a week, sometimes not at all.

Even the largest guild on our server and the best pugmander went “poof”, there are still some people playing, but its a sad shadow of what it was pre-HOT. And this is a high tier server. I havent even bothered to log into my alt account at all on T6, as in zip, zero, since no one I used to play with does so anymore and from what I read on their boards, its nearly completely dead so it would be a waste of time for me to even try.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

A drop in players?

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

Seems to me the player base is just shifting. Stronger opinion players are leaving but they are also scaring off less people.

Also this expac has lots of anti-glass mechanics. People still run glass builds anyways, so they either get good or get frustrated and leave. Most of my friends left because of the zerker-meta, so they are starting to warm to the idea of coming back. Zerker/DPS meta tends to lock classes into one optimal build with anything else just putting a target on your back to get flamed.

(Now for 5+ angry post about why DPS is of Jesus and Tank stats are of the devil)

A drop in players?

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Seems to me the player base is just shifting. Stronger opinion players are leaving but they are also scaring off less people.

Also this expac has lots of anti-glass mechanics. People still run glass builds anyways, so they either get good or get frustrated and leave. Most of my friends left because of the zerker-meta, so they are starting to warm to the idea of coming back. Zerker/DPS meta tends to lock classes into one optimal build with anything else just putting a target on your back to get flamed.

(Now for 5+ angry post about why DPS is of Jesus and Tank stats are of the devil)

PVE never had any issues, except as you stated people unable to adapt. Even then when you take raids to consideration you’re back to zerker or maybe sinister/viper at best for a difference.

The game mode that is devastated is WVW, and SPVP is somewhere between the 2, not as good spot as PVE, but not as horrid as WVW.

Thing is, the majority of WVW players were not exclusively WVW, they were and still are PVX players to various degrees, some a little bit, some a lot, some in mid. But what they were was community leaders, guild leaders, best commanders, excellent organizers, etc.

It is an extremely rare occasion to find a PVEmander that comes even remotely close in quality to a WVW pugmander.

OP has stated he runs all 3 game modes, you apparently do not, or you would have known this and I would not need to mention it.

As the WVW population continues to shrink at a rather alarming rate this spills over to the rest of the game affecting the overall quality of it.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

A drop in players?

Marthkus.4615

WvW being tied to servers is a fundamental problem. HoT changes have just compounded that problem with others. I want guild clans back and have them be the ones that fight over maps. Call the mode GvG. I saw many guilds fracture because of server differences or server migration. It’s probably why ANET isn’t addressing WvW right now because the fundamental problem maligns guild growth. Even before HoT, outside of top tier servers, WvW always came down to population differences and coverage differences. I’ve had good fights in WvW but the matches were always lopsided. We would dominate matches but lose every fight because of the one chinese guild we had on our server.

I got my first ascended chest in WvW. WvW was dieing before HoT.

A drop in players?

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Before HOT came out i was always around the 850-950 on the leader board when it came to achievement points.

I wouldn’t use AP as a benchmark for the game’s popularity.

A drop in players?

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Pretty obvious sadly. Lack of content = lack of interest = people stop logging in.

A drop in players?

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

Ya I think they didn’t get the balance right with this expansion on included content vs gemstore stuff. You finish the content of the expansion and realize, its either finish grinding out a few last masteries for longer than you may like doing the same content, or spend onto the gem store to get unique skins and outfits. I almost only do dailies too now, a couple pvp matches (which is not as fun without ranked, why remove it?).

I kind of lost it my apetite to play after completing the part 1 story where you are a bunny and have to kill wolves without rezing any vigil.. Took me almost an hour of well…. not much fun. It was fun to learn the rhythm and learn how to damage it without taking damage, but as a constant with the expansion, more hp = more content. It could of easily taken me 20 minutes if it was scaled properly. Again, this is some of the only ways to unlock enough mastery points to progress.

Anyway, I’m going to stick around, but I too have been playing other games mor than gw2 these past few weeks. But I’m still excited about future free content. Just not much reason to play right now for almost any crowd.

A drop in players?

Posted by: Fade to Black.7042

Fade to Black.7042

I’ve noticed this also, sad because i like this game.

A drop in players?

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

My windows disk went to hell. Now on Linux where i can run LoL just fine but GW2 would be bit hard. Screw windows oem:/

A drop in players?

Posted by: Dream Shake.8741

Dream Shake.8741

Yeah I don’t see it. I can get a fractal group within seconds, find a HoT meta event in minutes and when the PvP leagues were up my average queue time was less than 2 minutes. I don’t play WvW so I don’t know what’s going on there. Sure lots of people quit, that doesn’t mean the population is lacking. And honestly I have no idea how these achievement hunters made it even this far. Doing every little obscure achievement would drive me nuts within a month.

A drop in players?

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

With megaserver system that is masking real server pop you cant say how many left, but my friends list is pretty much full of offline players. I said f2p system killed this game, they are forcing 1 content(raids) and gem shop updates, while real needed stuff is on hold for indefinite.

A drop in players?

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

My guild is dead.
I’ve been watching https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/lookingfor for a suitable guild but not much happening in EU. Mostly new/small guilds or a couple of big ‘elite’ ones.

I still log in from time to time for the chest and from time to time for Teq, but that’s it.

The money and time was mostly well spend for the past 3 years, but times have changed, it’s 2016, and AN seams too slow to adapt (it’s not interested in pleasing too many players, IMO; they have a decent thing going on, small investment and decent $ output).

I’m one of those ‘old’ casuals who would rather read a book than Waste (yes waste) half an hour to one hour in search of a suitable DS meta organized map. The new zones are not ‘fun’, the dungeons are dead, and I was looking to have 1-2 hours of Fun when I can.
Currently GW2 is not that.

To the ones who say it only takes them a couple of minutes to find a suitable DS / AB meta map: I don’t believe you.

To the ones asking about GW2 alternatives, mines are:
http://www.goodreads.com/
– a game called Destiny (raids & dungeons & Fun )

yours truly, a filthy casual.

A drop in players?

SkyShroud.2865

I say this because it’s been my experience in MMOs that people typically only last 3-4 years in a given game before they become “disillusioned” and quit. I myself came here just before HOT after being disenfranchised with SW:TOR after playing said game for 3 years.
Old players go, new ones come.

I find this game to great, and HoT seems fun. Granted I’ve only played this game since September. Give me another 2.5 years and I’ll probably be writing compliant threads and threatening to quit too.

there have been players playing wow for 10 years, why they didn’t quit? :|
a number of them quit after a particular expansion

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

A drop in players?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I started moving up on the leaderboards during the “Great Content Drought of 2015”. Not many people are able to play the same game as consistently for years & years. Attrition is completely normal and not a particularly robust proxy for measuring how many are leaving due to any particular change.

I know people would really like to believe the game is dead or that the game isn’t dead, but there’s really no evidence for either theory. The only thing that matters is: are you having fun? If you’re not, then what difference could it possible make if there are 5 million people playing? If you are having fun, why would you care if there are “only” 100,000 playing?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

A drop in players?

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

In our guild we have noticed a definite drop in active player roles. We have also spoken with leaders of some other larger guilds. They have also noticed the same. People that previously would play a lot are just not logging in anymore. They are still around in TS, playing other games. I am sure they will come back for LS3. But as soon as that is done they will dwindle again I am sure.

I understand that this game does not have tiered gear progression. They don’t want your stuff to become obsolete. But, as a game dev, if you are going to do that you need to release more content, faster. People want either new stuff or to progress. Sure you can grind out a legendary and it might be fun for the first one. But it doesn’t make you any stronger, faster, better. It is just shiny. Anet really needs to up the production speed on new content otherwise the slow hemorrhage will continue imo

A drop in players?

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

In our guild we have noticed a definite drop in active player roles. We have also spoken with leaders of some other larger guilds. They have also noticed the same. People that previously would play a lot are just not logging in anymore. They are still around in TS, playing other games. I am sure they will come back for LS3. But as soon as that is done they will dwindle again I am sure.

I understand that this game does not have tiered gear progression. They don’t want your stuff to become obsolete. But, as a game dev, if you are going to do that you need to release more content, faster. People want either new stuff or to progress. Sure you can grind out a legendary and it might be fun for the first one. But it doesn’t make you any stronger, faster, better. It is just shiny. Anet really needs to up the production speed on new content otherwise the slow hemorrhage will continue imo

Tiered gear is gated gear and gated content, gated gear means grind. Grind causes people from f2p mmos to leave games as well. I enjoy this game because it is not f2p mmo styled.

gaem not made for mi
===========

A drop in players?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I’m still having some fun, though my time spent playing GW2 has tapered off dramatically. I’ve been to the third HoT map all of twice and the fourth map never because I have zero interest in play spaces where the only way I’m supposed to have fun is with lots other people all facing the same direction. If I wanted to be in a group instance, I’d use the LFG tool. And that’s all they gave us: 4 big dungeons where soloing gets pooped on by spawns designed for the zerg.

Industry norm is about 60% of players are NOT interested in socializing/group play outside of other people they know prior to starting the game. Its a lesson ANet seems really slow to absorb. You’d have thought the debacle that was 3 months-after-launch unplayable Orr maps would have taught them better, mega-servers or no.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

A drop in players?

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

Tiered gear is gated gear and gated content, gated gear means grind. Grind causes people from f2p mmos to leave games as well. I enjoy this game because it is not f2p mmo styled.

I agree, I am not advocating tiered gear. What I was saying is that players want to progress. Whether that is into new content or with new gear. The devs need to provide that. If you don’t have both, then you need to do the one you are doing faster. So since there is no increase in gear past ascended in this game. As a result new content has to come out faster. Otherwise the game gets stale for a lot of people. Sure there are many that will still play. Most even. But for many players, shiny and new is fun, exciting and the main reason they play. Whether that is gear or content.

A drop in players?

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

I agree, I am not advocating tiered gear. What I was saying is that players want to progress. Whether that is into new content or with new gear. The devs need to provide that. If you don’t have both, then you need to do the one you are doing faster. So since there is no increase in gear past ascended in this game. As a result new content has to come out faster. Otherwise the game gets stale for a lot of people. Sure there are many that will still play. Most even. But for many players, shiny and new is fun, exciting and the main reason they play. Whether that is gear or content.

Yea well I agree we are waiting really long for the legendaries promised to us. Maybe they are thinking of the market for amalgamated gems once the new legendaries become available. The gems will probably cost as much as a legendary itself, like a legendary within a legendary. Legception

gaem not made for mi
===========

A drop in players?

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

I know people would really like to believe the game is dead or that the game isn’t dead, but there’s really no evidence for either theory. The only thing that matters is: are you having fun? If you’re not, then what difference could it possible make if there are 5 million people playing? If you are having fun, why would you care if there are “only” 100,000 playing?

Clearly you are not playing in WvW. It makes all the difference of having reasonably sized servers or completely empty matches. For many people WvW is only reason to play this game and nobody can deny there is A LOT less players now. For a game mode that requires massive amounts of players, that is very much a problem.

A drop in players?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I started moving up on the leaderboards during the “Great Content Drought of 2015”. Not many people are able to play the same game as consistently for years & years. Attrition is completely normal and not a particularly robust proxy for measuring how many are leaving due to any particular change.

Humans tend to try to build agreement for their ideas by using whatever means/verbiage they think will work. This is how we build our consensual reality. The underlying (mostly unconscious) assumption is that if Joe thinks the game is dying and posts about it, he expects others to agree. We also like to be right, so since he believes he is right, others should agree. This is generally why we see such posters dismiss disagreement using pejorative terms like “white knight.”

People in general also like to watch/comment about things going wrong, falling apart, failing, etc. This is why we see traffic jams on the side of the divided highway that is not affected by the accident. A lot of people can’t resist the urge to rubberneck.

On a game forum, there’s another motive. These types of threads sometimes seem to include either a desire for a particular feature, more content or something the poster thinks is essential. Then, the assertion is made that the game is dying and the desired whatsis will save it. The “game is dying” comments (or in this case, players are leaving) are a tactic to gain the developers’ attention and to — again — generate agreement that change X will save it.

A drop in players?

SkyShroud.2865

that is to be expected. HOT hype is just hype, it will not last. my guild had 100+ online at peak during the hype and now it die down to pre-HOT state. the number of people to recruit in the game is also noticeably lesser compare to pre-HOT. when large guilds too begin to shrink, it isn’t really a good sign for the game.

anet has been stretching the resources too thin, been too greedy and trying to achieve everything but end up not completing much. they made changes to existing contents when other contents are not really ready yet, this will result in players who enjoyed the existing contents and not satisfy with the new ones having no enjoyable contents to fall back to, this result such players to leave the game.

though HOT do have a lot of APs to do but not everyone are into APs. HOT do also have a lot of fancy skins but not everyone are into those skins. raid is nice and all but not everyone are into those legendary armors so they might only do a few just to experience the raid and stop. for these group of people, what can they do? if they are pve oriented, what are they suppose to do? so yes, like what you said, these group of players really do not have much to do in gw2.

Clearly you are not playing in WvW. It makes all the difference of having reasonably sized servers or completely empty matches. For many people WvW is only reason to play this game and nobody can deny there is A LOT less players now. For a game mode that requires massive amounts of players, that is very much a problem.

true, the world population status reflect that much. now, there isn’t any server that is full. they could transfer but some will think that why should they pay to transfer because of anet’s failure to have a contingency plan. some will rather quit than paying more.

Humans tend to try to build agreement for their ideas by using whatever means/verbiage they think will work. This is how we build our consensual reality. The underlying (mostly unconscious) assumption is that if Joe thinks the game is dying and posts about it, he expects others to agree. We also like to be right, so since he believes he is right, others should agree. This is generally why we see such posters dismiss disagreement using pejorative terms like “white knight.”

People in general also like to watch/comment about things going wrong, falling apart, failing, etc. This is why we see traffic jams on the side of the divided highway that is not affected by the accident. A lot of people can’t resist the urge to rubberneck.

On a game forum, there’s another motive. These types of threads sometimes seem to include either a desire for a particular feature, more content or something the poster thinks is essential. Then, the assertion is made that the game is dying and the desired whatsis will save it. The “game is dying” comments (or in this case, players are leaving) are a tactic to gain the developers’ attention and to — again — generate agreement that change X will save it.

wow, that some psychological stuffs going there. but i got this feeling that you are really off in some of your points.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

A drop in players?

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Before HOT came out i was always around the 850-950 on the leader board when it came to achievement points.

Im just asking the question. For 3 + years the same people were above me and i was friends with a few people who were above me before i made the top 1k. They would just take breaks for 2-3 months and i was ahead of them by simply doing dailies.

This is also coming from a point i havent dont the new content because it just feels very repetitive and im not sure how to get some of them. Ill show some pictures, you can agree or disagree but ive jumped up crazy high on the leaderboard by only doing dailies.

Attachments:

A drop in players?

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

a lot of veteran players have quit the game, in my own guild, i have a few members who played 2 years+ quit the game just because of HOT.

the game is noticeably shrinking

the white knights will continue to say the game is fun and all but the reality is, it isn’t as fun as they think it is. the white knights argument is centered on HOT specified maps while players are not looking at just those maps, but the whole game itself.

anet need to look at the bigger picture and fix all the things and complete the incomplete contents

personally, im also looking out for new games

And then there are people like you who believe that if someone doesn’t agree with you they must be “white knights”.

I like the game, not because I am sticking up for ANet or anyone else. I like the game period. It isn’t white knighting to like what you like.

And what kind of inane statement is “it isn’t as fun as they think it is”? The game is exactly as fun as each person thinks it is. If it isn’t fun for you then it isn’t fun for you. If it is great fun for someone else then it is great fun for them. You are not the gauge or decision maker for fun for anyone but you.

While I have seen a drop in players in my guild as well, it hasn’t lessened the fun I have playing the game.

So please state your case about anything you want, but don’t call people such things as white knights because they don’t agree with you. B_tching about the game doesn’t make you right or one of the cool kids.

A drop in players?

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

This is true, and most likely what is happening here. However, this is not uncommon with any game of any genre, especially MMOs. Even WoW sees players bleeding off for quite awhile until a new expansion. Then a jump in numbers around launch time.
The same thing is happening here. People played HoT, got what they wanted out of it (i.e whatever masteries they wanted, skins, achievements, etc.) then took a break until the next LS season comes out. Once that does, they’ll be back, and leave again once they do what they wanted to do.
It’s difficult to continually come out with content fast enough to keep everyone playing all the time.
I personally am not worried about the state of the game, and how many players there are. There will always be more new players coming in, and old players returning, to keep this game up and running for years to come.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

A drop in players?

Posted by: ChanxThexMan.1078

ChanxThexMan.1078

If people don’t like the game, that’s cool. If people do like it, that too is cool. But if you don’t wanna play then just don’t play. Who cares if it’s thriving or dying? Enjoy the game or go do something else if you’re not.

A drop in players?

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

The above is why some countries rise to a high quality of life and others remain in the gutter. It’s when people stop expecting quality that mediocrity is accepted.

A drop in players?

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

Thing is, the majority of WVW players were not exclusively WVW, they were and still are PVX players to various degrees, some a little bit, some a lot, some in mid. But what they were was community leaders, guild leaders, best commanders, excellent organizers, etc.

This.

Anet did not appreciate (nor I think even understand) how WvW was really the glue that held the game together. Not only did I know the 4 dozen or so dedicated WvW’ers in my own guild, I also knew many dozens more in other guilds due to coordinated weekly strategy, shared Team Speak channels, etc.

Anet’s calculated decision to neglect WvW was a pretty big mistake.

A drop in players?

Posted by: revox.8273

revox.8273

its not that, if u rly love the game u stay for far long than 3-4 years. personally i played lineage 2 for allmoast 8 years back in the day
i dont feel the atraction anymore bcz i hate to wait alot just to make tarir/td/ds etc. and i bet im not the only1, my friends list is falling down day by day too, now i just log in, do the daily, maybe farm a little and ofc notice that my beloved thief its not good in pvp, same as my warr
ppl leave, true, but never like this time

A drop in players?

Posted by: BellatorDeus.2310

BellatorDeus.2310

I have noticed that up until a couple of weeks ago the Octivine group event usually ran with 40-60 players, taking down all gates and killing the octivines for the chests. Now? 5-20 people. Not nearly enough for the event. There are still people that queue for DS, but that is every 2 hours, and sometimes 4 hours because not enough for a map so they have to wait for the reset.

A drop in players?

Posted by: qbalrog.8017

qbalrog.8017

I went away for a few months and came back about a week ago, although very casually back, maybe I do my dailies every other day. One data point on population: the cities seem to have about one third their former population. Maybe people are off else where but the population does seem to have dropped.

A drop in players?

Posted by: qbalrog.8017

qbalrog.8017

If people don’t like the game, that’s cool. If people do like it, that too is cool. But if you don’t wanna play then just don’t play. Who cares if it’s thriving or dying? Enjoy the game or go do something else if you’re not.

I think those who don’t like it hope the dropping population (which means dropping Anet revenue) will cause them to change it.

A drop in players?

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

Anet works too slow or just wants the money nowadays. This game has been out 3+ years and we barely got anything new while nerfing old content in the process(dungeons), to try to force people to buy hot I guess. I cant bring myself to log into the same 4 farming maps anymore and there is no motivation for me to do anything else in this game but farm. Pvp only got 1 new map/mode and their balancing makes very little sense. Wvw had so much potential to be a fun and engaging mode, but its not worth going there for any reason I can think of atm. We have no new fractals, which was supposed to be our dungeon substitute. Instead, with the new dailies, people run the same 3 fast fractals over and over making it extremely repetitive and boring. I can’t say much on raids however…no reason for me to go into one yet. I heard it is a dps check with a timer though, so that sounds offputting(coming form someone who runs zerker too). Dungeons are the perfect in between since it does not require being built a certain way to be successful in them, you get a decent amount of gold so you felt rewarded and had a reason to run them. They were more relaxed without being the pew pew bore fest that is open world. For a mostly solo player like myself they are also much easier to jump into.

I can at least look forward to our weekly gemstore update though. I wonder what rehashed, reskinned cash grab they will release next week….

Since I have been a dedicated player on guild wars since the first and I enjoyed it so much in the past. This blunt truth is what you get from me. Only because I would like to see the game make a serious turn around. But yea, its doubtful. For future games anet, make sure your game has tons of content already before you consider nerfing or removing some. ~

This is why players are leaving IMO.

A drop in players?

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Im just asking the question. For 3 + years the same people were above me and i was friends with a few people who were above me before i made the top 1k. They would just take breaks for 2-3 months and i was ahead of them by simply doing dailies.

This is also coming from a point i havent dont the new content because it just feels very repetitive and im not sure how to get some of them. Ill show some pictures, you can agree or disagree but ive jumped up crazy high on the leaderboard by only doing dailies.

Grats for moving up higher in the leaderboards but I still wouldn’t use AP to determine activity. Not everyone likes farming AP, especially difficult ones that HoT has.

A drop in players?

Marthkus.4615

people run the same 3 fast fractals over and over making it extremely repetitive and boring.

Anet can’t help how bored people like to be.

Have you considered not running the same 3 fractals? Oh wait no that’s ridiculous. Have to grind content as fast as possible. Fast > Fun

ANET probably has to address this issue before adding new fractals no one will bother playing. Soon you’ll be attuned to the first fractal you roll and HAVE to do it, or every reroll increases the difficulty level without increasing rewards.

A drop in players?

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Anet can’t help how bored people like to be.

Have you considered not running the same 3 fractals? Oh wait no that’s ridiculous. Have to grind content as fast as possible. Fast > Fun

ANET probably has to address this issue before adding new fractals no one will bother playing. Soon you’ll be attuned to the first fractal you roll and HAVE to do it, or every reroll increases the difficulty level without increasing rewards.

Well they could have helped the boredom a bit with variety. SAB was awesome and hugely loved, and ANet turned it into a way to anger players. Activities were underdeveloped but a little fun, rather than add a way to play with guildies ANet put them on a weird rotation that meant you couldn’t play when you wanted. Rather than add things that made the game more interesting, they spent three years making the game blander (NPE).

A little bit of a nod to this was done with adventures, which is cool, but sadly a bit too little too late.

A drop in players?

Marthkus.4615

IMHO: Season 1 temp content was a bad idea.

Changing the world slowly is cool like blowing up lions arch, but having a whole plot arch be temp was dumb. It was cool for players at the time, but terrible on the longterm, as anyone could have guessed.

Season 2 is just a way to prevent players from coming back by locking the interconnecting plot arch between Zhaitan and Mordremoth behind micro transactions. Still not as kitteneason 1 for long term game health.

A drop in players?

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

Yeah, I noticed some things like that too. One of which is what I worried about early on – when you have collections (like Nevermore) tied to HoT-zone event completions you also tie those collections to map population: the smaller the map population, the less likely you will complete the specific event.

Been trying to do “Destroy the blighting tree” (in the Corpse Grove of Verdant Brink) to get the Protector of Verdance. I know I’ve done it before – several times actually, but now I have my mastery that will give me the item. For a week now I’ve been on VB hoping to get to the 7th stage of the Ordnance Corps outpost meta event (daytime). Finally got close yesterday when a handful of us collected the parts (the 6th stage) but night came and blam, no event.

I haven’t even given a thought about the Tangled Depths requirement (The Great Tree) or Auric Basin (Vinetooth Prime – that one I’ve also been at in the last 2 weeks, and nothing to show for it. Close a few times, but no prize).

A drop in players?

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I was doing Minstrel III collection which needed to push gates of arah. So I tagged up, ping the waypoint and everything, pushed the entire chain with only 10 people, there wasn’t anyone else who came along lol (and no volunteer thingy popup).

Anecdotal and stuff but yeah

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

A drop in players?

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

I haven’t logged in for weeks now and honestly this is the first time I’ve even looked at the forum in about a week, too. If ArenaNet doesn’t bother to address players’ issues soon I’ll just stop checking here, too.

No, I’m not going to Reddit or Twitter.