A few more questions after a week with HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Walker.7204

Walker.7204

So thanks to all of the help when I first checked back into the game last week, and I’ve now gotten alot of the feel and excitement that I originally had with the game back. I’m not too deep into HoT yet, but I"m really liking the Revenant class.

One thing I underestimated is how many Hero points I would need for my old jobs to get full elite status. In some older posts it says you need 400 points? Is that right, or has it changed at all? 400 seems sooo far away from most of my classes that only have 20 or so HP into elite skill.

I like how the mastery system is setup with all of the characters sharing exp (and only wish it was that way with heropoints). I’ve been trying to take all of my 9 lv. 80’s through the beginning of HoT just to get them to maguuma and it seems like pretty good exp. Should I keep progressing through the story with each character to get my masteries faster?

Is WvW still a good way to go about getting hero points, or should I just try to find the best zerg in HoT.

I’m a bit lacking in the guild department also. With the megaservers now, does it matter if I select a guild from a different server? I’m thinking a larger guild with organized wvw runs and HoT groups would probably be the best for me right now since I’m so lacking in the Hero point and mastery levels. Any recommendations?

Thanks again for any help and or advice.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You need like 250 hero points. HoT hero points award 10 and about 20iah can be done solo.

Fastest way is to go to Dragon’s Stand with XP boosters. You’ll easily gain 1.5-2M XP per run.

You can go to WvW but it’s better, and faster, to do it on HoT maps.

Server only matters when it comes to WvW. Unless you regularly do WvW, I personally wouldn’t worry about it. They changed some things but eventually the novelty of it will wear off again.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I would say do not rush through HoT just to finish masteries. Most of the mastery lines have only small QoL benefits and rushing through maps just to get them can be detrimental to savouring the experience.

Also, the more you farm towards a goal, the longer it will feel like it takes. I played a few toons in different maps, doing various activities and after 3-4 days my final mastery line was done and I hadnt even noticed.

And yes, 400 was the launch hp requirement. A backlash from the community got Anet to change it to 250 after the first week, which is a lot more sensible. I agree with HoT being quicker than WvW for hps. Plenty of players seem happy to help on a map when a call goes out for assistance.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

HP : Take a look at Dulfy guide. She point out which one can be solo. You can also find from time to time HP zerg in the LFG. If you need help with one HP try to wait after the meta event and ask in the chat. At that point you have like 100 people doing nothing, some might be more happy to help you at that time. It will only take you 25 Hero Challenge in HoT to complete your elite spec. Won’t take much time.

Mastery : DS with xp buff is probably the best. But Verdant Brink is pretty amazing too and it’s easier to get into a VB than a DS.

As for the guild. If you really want to do WvW then ya you need a guild in the same server. That said, everything else don’t care about your server and WvW isn’t in great shape these day. HoT screwed it up royaly. They fixed what they broke recently, but a lot of people that left WvW (like me) don’t really want to regear and find another WvW guild. A lot are waiting for the incoming WvW big patch which should come in like 6 or 9months. You can still find a normal general guild that fit you not necessarily on your server and if you really want to WvW find a specialized guild just for WvW on your server. That’s how I used to work.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I would say do not rush through HoT just to finish masteries. Most of the mastery lines have only small QoL benefits and rushing through maps just to get them can be detrimental to savouring the experience.

I would actually advise the opposite, from my experience. I struggled with the jungle until I got my masteries done. Now I can jump anywhere, use any tunnel, fly as long as I like, use ley lines, stealth while gliding and enter poison areas. I can now move around the jungle as I like, and it makes for an enjoyable exprience where previously I felt hampered. I can reach any vista and hero point on any toon and explore and map the jungle to my contentment.

There is so much to do in the jungle that getting the masteries done quickly isn’t going to take away from the experience. In fact, not having the masteries took it away from the experience for me. I would argue that they’re aren’t just QoL. They’re basic mobility skills you need to acquire. Then you can start playing, trying different events, different professions, completing achievements and the like. But that’s just my view.

Posted by: Walker.7204

Walker.7204

I am having huge issues just getting around so I think you may be onto something.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

You really need Uplift Gliding to roam around in VB. After that Jumping Mushrooms is very useful too.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks