A few quick questions before I buy the HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Walker.7204

Walker.7204

So, after being gone for a year or so, I just started back and things are crazy different….lol.
Previously, I had all jobs at 80, but now I just had a few questions since they’ve been respec’d with the hero points.

Do I need to completely fill out my skills and specialization training before I’m able to add anything to Elite Specialization (I realize i’ll have to have HoT)?

Since I need an extra job spot for the new Revenant and I love the new shared inventory spaces, I’m thinking the Ultimate edition is the way to go…. any reason not to?

Thanks for any help and or suggestions.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

1) Yes you do, but just by being level 80 you will have enough HP to unlock all the skills and specialization. So all the HP that you unlock in the maps will be use for you elite spec.

2) You get the additional shared inventory space whatever the edition of HoT you buy. But you still get 4000 gems and a character slot. Together they are worst 60$ and you will pay 50$ for them. So if you planned on buying a character slot and some gem in the future then yes, it’s worth it. If buying gem isn’t your thing, then no.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Walker.7204

Thanks for the fast response. I’m exited to be a noob all over again.

Posted by: Silas Eorth.7348

Silas Eorth.7348

1) Yes you do, but just by being level 80 you will have enough HP to unlock all the skills and specialization. So all the HP that you unlock in the maps will be use for you elite spec.

Well… you won’t be able to max out the Elite specialization just by having a lvl 80 toon. You’ll have to earn some HPs to finish that one. That being said, once you’re in a HoT map, you should be able to find an HP-train fairly easy since a large number of the HPs offer loot rewards for doing them daily. Also, if you don’t feel like getting the HPs in the new maps or doing Tyria completion, you can also earn “Proof of Heroics” from WvW. This new currency will allow you to buy HPs from either Central Tyria or the new maps.

(Also, HoT HPs count as 10 per instead of one).

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

2) You get the additional shared inventory space whatever the edition of HoT you buy. But you still get 4000 gems and a character slot. Together they are worst 60$ and you will pay 50$ for them. So if you planned on buying a character slot and some gem in the future then yes, it’s worth it. If buying gem isn’t your thing, then no.

You do not get slot and 4000 gems with every version. The extra slot is deluxe version and 4000 gems is from the ultimate version. Maybe I misunderstood due to the way you worded it. It isn’t clear what you are trying to say.
http://buy.guildwars2.com/store/gw2/en_US/html/pbPage.heartofthorns?cid=91:5::::Global:166:::#

Walker.7204

Couple of more things….

I assume world completion is still tied to a single character and not account (I’m just hoping here)?

In the past i’ve sort of been bogged down by trying to play all 8 jobs, and I’ve never really gotten great at any particular one. With the new job and all of the new Elite specializations, I’d really like to pick one and really just master the heck out of it. So what are some good recommendations for a strong all around, fun new class?

And finally, how exactly do you start in HoT? Just go to the first area? or does it lead you once it’s loaded?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

Map completion is still character bound.

There a various ways to get to the new zones. Playing through the story is one, there is an entrance in the SW corner in Silverwaste and finally exiting your guild hall via the exit portal.

Also never heard anyone called their characters ‘jobs’ haha.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Yep, maps are character bound. You will have to complete the maps with all your toons.
The game will lead you to the starting point (Rally to Maguuma Storyline).

Posted by: Silas Eorth.7348

Silas Eorth.7348

1)World Completion (as far as waypoints and the “Gift of Exploration”) is toon specific.

2) I’m hesitant to recommend any certain class because I believe it’s just a matter of personal preference. For me personally, I love my Druid (ranger). I also have a Dragon Hunter (guardian), but I’m still learning how to play it properly. As for the other classes, I have no real experience with them.

3) To start the HoT content, you simply go to your Story Journal and activate the HoT story. You’ll be directed to the Silverwastes for the first mission which leads into Verdant Brink (the first HoT map). After that first mission, you can either continue the story or do your own thing.

A small bit of advice: Once you’ve had the chance to start familiarizing yourself with the new content, it would be wise to invest time on the Gliding masteries and the one with the “jumping mushrooms” (Itzel Lore)… it will make navigating the new zones much more forgiving.

EDIT: As Sird mentioned, you can also access the new maps by exiting the guild hall through the appropriate portal, yet you may be limited as to how far you can progress. I believe that Lost Precipice may require some gliding to get into the map part of the map while Guilded Hollow has some kind of “Exalted Barrier” that requires a mastery to cross.

In lieu of this, you could also just ask a guildie, friend, or friendly stranger to let you warp to them using a Teleport To Friend consumable item.

(edited by Silas Eorth.7348)

Thaddeus.4891

You do not get slot and 4000 gems with every version. The extra slot is deluxe version and 4000 gems is from the ultimate version. Maybe I misunderstood due to the way you worded it. It isn’t clear what you are trying to say.
http://buy.guildwars2.com/store/gw2/en_US/html/pbPage.heartofthorns?cid=91:5::::Global:166:::#

You misenderstood. I was answering his question so if you don’t read it before reading my post, I can see how it can be misunderstood.

In the past i’ve sort of been bogged down by trying to play all 8 jobs, and I’ve never really gotten great at any particular one. With the new job and all of the new Elite specializations, I’d really like to pick one and really just master the heck out of it. So what are some good recommendations for a strong all around, fun new class?

And finally, how exactly do you start in HoT? Just go to the first area? or does it lead you once it’s loaded?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Well it really depend on what you plan on doing. In PvP which profession are good or bad change on a regular basis. For exemple, on the first season necro was view a good and mesmer as bad, in the 2nd season both were view as powerful, and it seem that in the next mesmer will stay powerful, but necro will drop by a good margin.

On the PvE side of things it,s a lot more stable. You can use really all profession in all content with good result. But not all build will have good result everywhere. In open world, dungeon and low level fractal pretty much anything work. In high level fractal it start to matter more as it can make the difference between a 60-90 run and a 30min run. And of course in raid it matter a lot. Don’t stress too much about it, you probably won’t raid in the next couple of days anyways.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Getting HoT will give you a 80 level booster you can use to test different Proffessions (Without Elite Specs, though). I think you should try all of them before choosing the one to master.You can also use PvP to try the Elite Specs if you want.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Walker.7204

So with all the great advice, here’s my plan….

Buy the Ultimate Expansion and the 5 slot shared inventory, and grab a few items i’ve passed on in the past because they were for 1 character only like watchwork pick and copper-0-matic.

Fill out my existing 8 characters at 80 with their skill points to fully complete the Core specs and come close to filling out their elite specs, and set them up for their specific elite class. And use my new character slot for a shiny new asuran revenant (or my default hot blonde giant norn).

Then i’ll try out the new elites in the basic new content and trying to get my gliding masteries, along with doing the usual rotation of bosses and some WvW.

My remaining question is about the Mega-Booster. At first I thought it just put you at 80, but now I think I’ve read it also gives you a full set of really good gear. Does it also give you enough hero points to unlock but not fill your elite ?

In my inventory, I’ve got tons of level boosters and exp scrolls ( back in the day I was addicted to some of the events with good rewards) that I think would take a new character pretty close to 80 without the boost. If this is the case, should I do that with the Rev, and then hold on to the Mega boost til I decide which class I really want to jump into.

Thanks for making your way through the wall of text…. Soon I’ll be home and can put these plans into action.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

The boosts gets you to 80 and gives armour and trinkets of good quality. The elites you have to unlock yourself. I would use it right away instead of tomes just because you don’t have the level up prompt and the level rewards to click through.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Also using up the 80 boost will allow you to use the shared slot it comes within, where you could put that copper-0-matic, making it directly useable for every one of your toons.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Thaddeus.4891

S
My remaining question is about the Mega-Booster. At first I thought it just put you at 80, but now I think I’ve read it also gives you a full set of really good gear. Does it also give you enough hero points to unlock but not fill your elite ?

In my inventory, I’ve got tons of level boosters and exp scrolls ( back in the day I was addicted to some of the events with good rewards) that I think would take a new character pretty close to 80 without the boost. If this is the case, should I do that with the Rev, and then hold on to the Mega boost til I decide which class I really want to jump into.

Thanks for making your way through the wall of text…. Soon I’ll be home and can put these plans into action.

It give you a full set of exotic gear, which is good enough to allow you to complete all the content except fractal and raid (well you can do low level fractal and raid, but you will have a hard time finding a group with only exotic). It doesn’t give you any HP directly, but by leveling to 80 you receive the normal HP that you would receive while leveling to 80. AKA enough HP to unlock all the core spec and skills. You will then only have to go to Verdant Brink to unlock your elite spec. At that point you will be able to select the elite spec and equip the new weapon, but you will have zero elite spec skill or trait. You gonna have to get more HP in the world to unlock those.

It depend. If you have some other character than your Rev that is level 2 (meaning a new character) then it’s an option. If all your other character are at higher level, then it’s on your Rev that the booster will give you the more return. You could keep those to farm black lion key once a week, but if you plan on doing pvp dailies (that are super quick) then you will drown in Tome of Knowledge anyway. (I got like 500 right now sitting in my bank with no use).

Just a small advice. Get yourself some xp boost. You have booster, food, utility, firework, etc. Take a look at the wiki page and bring as much as you can and go join a zerg in Verdant Brink (1st HoT map). Big XP and good reward. The only other place that come close is DS (4th HoT map), but it’s a big long 2 hours meta even and you kind need to get into it as it start and don’t leave until the end if you really want all the rewards. With VB you can join and leave when you want as long as you find a group in the LFG or end up in a good map randomly.

You can also go take a look at Dulfy. She have good HP guide if you want to do only solo HP and not bother with the HP that need a group. You can also look at the LFG, you will from time to time see some HP zerg, but better try to do these AFTER the meta. You will have more ppl to help you and you won’t kitten off ppl that try to organize/complete the meta.

Walker.7204

So… got home, got HoT, and started updating my characters, and I was quite surprised how many HP it takes to fill out the elite specilization. Honestly, I’m kind of glad, because it would be kind of dumb to have an expansion in which you had already maxxed out the new content. In my War, Temp, and Rng, I have a good bit of elite filled up, but in my lesser 80’s thf and necro, I barely have enough to even start the Elite.

I’m guessing its not really worth trying to play the new elite until I have the majority of the new traits unlocked. And thanks for all of the leveling suggestions.