A request for future HoT reviewers

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

The content of upcoming HoT seems very..mixed bag so far, so here’s my request to people who will do public reviews of it:

Rather then wrapping it up in one grade, give it 3 grades -one for each game mode additions.
One for new PvE content and changes.
One for spvp part
And one for new WvW map.

Because i honestly feel that while in certain aspects the expansion delivers diamonds (new WvW map), in others it’s barren wasteland (spvp) and I shudder at thought of all this being “averaged” into one grade that will not fully flesh out the great pros of xpac, while also mercilessly jab at it’s gaping holes.

Posted by: tfcgeneralkmk.9508

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

i don’t know how spvp is a wasteland when they are making a full new mode for it

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Well, good idea, talk to Angry Joe when HoT comes out.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The content of upcoming HoT seems very..mixed bag so far, so here’s my request to people who will do public reviews of it:

Rather then wrapping it up in one grade, give it 3 grades -one for each game mode additions.
One for spvp part
And one for new WvW map.

Because i honestly feel that while in certain aspects the expansion delivers diamonds (new WvW map), in others it’s barren wasteland (spvp) and I shudder at thought of all this being “averaged” into one grade that will not fully flesh out the great pros of xpac, while also mercilessly jab at it’s gaping holes.

How is it a barren wasteland when SPvP is concerned? I don’t get this comment at all.

ZeftheWicked.3076

How can I not call it a barren wasteland in terms of HoT content for spvp?
Right now spvp has 7 maps. HoT brings us…one. Sure it may be a new type of map, but that doesn’t change the fact is a one single, lonely map!
A tiny map at that, since it’s for spvp.

Compare that to new WvW map which is huge and easily has the same amount of content, if not more then the alpine borderlands had. Now that’s what i call an expansion worthy upgrade.

So if I look at it from birds view:

1 WvW – rougly same amount of new as we had of old.
2. spvp – 20% new compared to old and i’m being generous here (1/7 is not 20%, but it’s a new game mode, so i added few % for fairness).
3. PvE – too little info to tell.

That’s my main reason for my request for reviewers to tackle each game mode separately in their final grade for the expansion.

(edited by ZeftheWicked.3076)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hmm..compared to the ‘old’ maps and amount of content, I’m guessing the new PvE content won’t meet the ‘20%’, either. Still, I would never consider it a ‘barren wasteland’.

That’s just me, though. =/

So far, many reviewers have given their impressions on the different kinds of content. Something reviewers did at the initial launch, as well. Regardless, an overall rating is something to be expected, alongside ratings for different aspects broken down.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Vayne.8563

Right now spvp has 7 maps. HoT brings us…one. Sure it may be a new type of map, but that doesn’t change the fact is a one single, lonely map!

Compare that to new WvW map which is huge and easily has the same amount of content, if not more then the alpine borderlands had. Now that’s what i call an expansion worthy upgrade.

2. spvp – 20% new compared to old and i’m being generous here (1/7 is not 20%, but it’s a new game mode, so i added few % for fairness).

That’s my main reason for my request for reviewers to tackle each game mode separately in their final grade for the expansion.

First of all, it’s not a tiny map and it isn’t just a map, it’s a whole new format, which is more than just a tiny map. And there are many PvP games with relatively few maps that do quite well if the map is good enough.

But this map is more. This map is a throw back to a different style of gaming that will be played differently.

There are no other specifics about PvP because they’ve only gone into main features, but you can expect balance, the specializations and the new profession will likely completely rewrite the PvP meta, and that’s something most actual PvPers are probably looking forward to. Shaking up the meta.

Along with a new control effect and new conditions.

Perhaps you need to reevaluate what PvP is. If you think it’s only about new maps you’re doing it wrong.

ZeftheWicked.3076

Perhaps you need to reevaluate what expansion is about. If you think about adding very little, even if that little is of high quality, then you’re doing it wrong.

And Courtyard is screaming for addition of at least one or better yet two good deathmatch maps.

Vayne.8563

Perhaps you need to reevaluate what expansion is about. If you think about adding very little, even if that little is of high quality, then you’re doing it wrong.

And Courtyard is screaming for addition of at least one or better yet two good deathmatch maps.

I don’t need to reevaluate anything since I’m not the one with a problem. If you think it’s not enough, what do you think will happen.

It’s not like another PvP map is going to magically appear in time for launch.

Posted by: Wyn.5724

Wyn.5724

How about release the price so I know if I can afford it >.>

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

all games – and all products for that matter – are better in some aspects than in others. Why should GW2 get a special treatment? Because you like it?

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

i don’t know how spvp is a wasteland when they are making a full new mode for it

You didn’t hear? They confirmed that it is not a new mode, just a new map with different win conditions. It will still be 5v5, still be in the same queue as the other maps, and has nothing special to do with the guild leaderboards that were talked about in one of the previews.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: tfcgeneralkmk.9508

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

You didn’t hear? They confirmed that it is not a new mode, just a new map with different win conditions. It will still be 5v5, still be in the same queue as the other maps, and has nothing special to do with the guild leaderboards that were talked about in one of the previews.

you consider the conquest vs capture point maps the same mode ?

i don’t so another map type with new win conditions to me = new pvp mode regardless of how you queue into it

Posted by: CynicalFred.9135

CynicalFred.9135

You can’t make that comparison….. spvp isn’t just getting another spirit watch or battle for kylo with another skin. If it was i’d agree with you but they’re creating a whole new map and game mode from scratch and ofcourse there’s going to be a little less in spvp because it needs to be balanced within reason and spvp isn’t really about getting shiny new things, it’s about the pvp in and of itself.
The attraction for spvp isn’t flashy new things it’s the competition, imo.

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

One for spvp part
And one for new WvW map.

How about a thorough review wich explains cons and pros about all the content, instead of a meaningless number?

ZeftheWicked.3076

Thorough review is an obvious expectation, so i didn’t even bother to voice that. But there are quite a few ppl who start by going over to the grade, and if it’s not high, they might just give up on reading further, and move on.

Let’s all remember that GW2 is a “in/out game” in it’s nature. Many leave to come back later, or leave again after a period of boredom. It’s those not fully invested players (and i believe their number is quite high) that will be on the fence about buying the expansion. And no small part of players in general, are players with a certain game mode bias – WvW, PvE’ers, or spvp crows. For a significant number of them one part of game being weaker in expansion is nothing major, as they’re into something else, for others quite the opposite.

A grade of overall grade of let’s say 7/10 will mean …“hm…maybe?”.

But for example, grades like;
PvE: 8/10
sPvP: 5/10
WvW 9/10

Will give a much clearer picture. PvE’ers and WvW will consider it a must buy, spvp’ers won’t be furious with being scammed, knowing what’s ahead. Much better grounds for making a decision, much less flames on forums later on, and much more people that would be willing to purchase a game.

Because we can forgive flaws in an awesome package. But we do not feel much of a pull to an overly average offering, that has no big issues, but nothing spectacular either. That’s our nature.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Would be awesome too to have one person show footage of all things dyes/dye channels/clothing/outfits related too. The amount of investigating I had to do to find out the dye channels of the mistward armor and especially the blindfolds – since NO ONE covered it (this was before the codes became available of course).

People were too busy talking about masteries and traits and all the things that were going to obviously be covered by every single person experiencing the demo at those PAX events – yet not one person covered all the dye channels of the mistward armor (revenant/rytlock armor as it’s also known as).

And it wouldn’t have taken long either – to show the dye channels. In the end someone told me about a news page which had a blue sylvari and a different colored symbol on the blindfold – I did find it, but I would have thought those covering the demo’s would have thought about these things or at least say to each other ‘ok it’s obvious we’re all going to talk about the main things people want to know, but what about things like armor and dye channels? Someone should cover that’.

But nope.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor