A subscription option for unlimited services

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I would pay a sub for unlimited services.
I would like not to have to worry about a transmutation charge or makeover kits.
Also realm transfers. Things like that.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a comment. A game like WoW charges you both a subscription and a transfer charge per character, not per account. They also have a cash shop where they sell things that arguably should be ingame quest rewards only, like mounts.

In other words, subscriptions don’t save you from being charged for stuff. It can be subscription and extra charges.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

even with a sub you would still need to pay for makeover kits and the sorts, they are not gonna lower their profit for a sub.
also, Anet has their own principles, no subs is one of them.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

A different game, which shall remain nameless because my talking about it is not to advertise it, has a model that is both Free to Play and has an optional subscription. The subscription gives some monthly bonuses (things like GW2’s boosters), store discount… stuff like that.

Granted, the game I’m talking about went F2P long into being a sub game.

But the point is, it has been done.

That said, GW2 probably won’t do it because of the irrational stigma against anything sub-related.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I have never understood the need by some people to pay $50 to $150 for a game and then on top of that to pay $10 to $20 a month just to play the game they just spent $50 to $150 on.

Hot Boy.7138

I’m asking for a sub just for services.

For people who like to change their look everyday this is a good deal. or who wants to roam with a friend for a week in wvw. just the services would suit me well

Just a flesh wound.3589

The game gives you tokens* for playing that can be exchanged for free items in the gem store. All you need to do is get the tokens, and get free stuff. No real money subscription needed.

*gold

ANet may give it to you.

Hot Boy.7138

The game gives you tokens* for playing that can be exchanged for free items in the gem store. All you need to do is get the tokens, and get free stuff. No real money subscription needed.

*gold

Thanks, i didn’t know there was such a currency in this game. Gold, wow! To think all this time I didn’t know I could get gold by doing things in the game and use that for services. Thank you for that tip.

Just a flesh wound.3589

*gold

Thanks, i didn’t know there was such a currency in this game. Gold, wow! To think all this time I didn’t know I could get gold by doing things in the game and use that for services. Thank you for that tip.

You’re welcome. ^^

But what you’re asking for sounds like the VIP system that the Chinese Client has. I’m not so sure that a game that was advertised as buy to play is a good fit to charge people a monthly fee for services. At the very least it would be divisive, turning the community into two groups of haves and have nots, depending on whether or not they open up their wallet each month. With the gold system, at least everyone is closer to being equal.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I understand the desire to have an all inclusive package deal for one’s gaming experience rather than the al a carte approach used in most cash shop driven games. The al a carte approach is much more expensive for those who want everything but is a better deal for those who want little or nothing from the cash shop.

I don’t think that we are ever likely to see even a limited version of a sub such as what the OP requests. It seems to clash entirely too much with Anet’s established business model.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

If you want to pay a subscription to Guild Wars 2, then do. I often end up spending $10-$20 a month in the gem store but for a while I spent a set amount on gems each month.

Just buy $10 in gems once a month and use those gems when you see fit. Call it a subscription and reap the benefits of gems.

Posted by: MyriadStars.5679

MyriadStars.5679

Most people would pay a subscription fee to get big and frequent content patches which require lots of time and resources to develop. Very few would pay a subscription fee just to get unlimited total makeover kits, etc.

Hot Boy.7138

You underestimate the fashion wars