ANet cares more about new players than...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Lavafrost of Maguuma.6807

Lavafrost of Maguuma.6807

The current players (as people are calling them, vets).

Think about it. First the “Trait Redesign” in April 2014 Feature Pack, then the “New Player Experience” with September 2014 Feature Pack, and now, hiking up the price of HoT without offering any compensation to players with the base game, to “make it easier for new players to get in”.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I can’t think of a single successful business that offers a service that doesn’t give exclusive deals and advantages to new customers rather than existing customers. I fail to see the validity of this outrage when this is something that happens literally everywhere in business. You guys are acting like ANet have committed some great sin, and it’s hilarious.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

Posted by: Sir Meta.3402

Sir Meta.3402

It is more like if I buy Hots on new account I get 5 slots with it, which is worth more than Hots it self. If I buy as loyal customer, i get just the overpriced hots and nothing else. Great deal. Shall i bend more over ?

Posted by: Channel.9402

Channel.9402

I can’t think of a single successful business that offers a service that doesn’t give exclusive deals and advantages to new customers rather than existing customers. I fail to see the validity of this outrage when this is something that happens literally everywhere in business. You guys are acting like ANet have committed some great sin, and it’s hilarious.

Well if not for the existing customer do you think the company can survive or grow? I’ve yet to see a company become successful by treating their existing customer like kitten. In this case, who funded the HoT expansion? Do you think HoT will even be on the table if not for the support for the existing customer?

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

Has anyone thought that the money that the expansion costs isnt just what comes on the disk but also the LS that comes after the HoT story? Thinking that way i think the xpac is worth the money also there is 1 thing players have gotten wrong is that we aren’t getting 1 map we are getting 1 area which can be 4 or 5 maps as well as maps we will get for the LS.

Posted by: GranspearZX.5624

GranspearZX.5624

I think it’s important to make one particular distinction: the devs behind the game and the marketing folks are two completely separate entities.

Marketing is only interested in customer satisfaction if it’s financially advantageous to take that position. In most companies, ArenaNet being no exception, the marketing division is a separate beast for a reason. They determine the value of a thing irrespective of the community behind a product or, generally, anything that isn’t mechanically and numerically quantifiable. Case in point, look at how NCSoft handled City of Heroes. Tremendous community support, highly interactive devs… shut down because it wasn’t lucrative enough.

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

Great deal. Shall i bend more over ?

Rapthorne did, and he expects you to, also. Because $50, what a steal!

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

Case in point, look at how NCSoft handled City of Heroes. Tremendous community support, highly interactive devs… shut down because it wasn’t lucrative enough.

That’s a ludicrous comparison. CoH is 11 years old. If anything, it tells us we should be concerned that NCSOFT may shut GW1 down sometime in the next 2 years (and I wouldn’t be surprised).

Posted by: GranspearZX.5624

GranspearZX.5624

Case in point, look at how NCSoft handled City of Heroes. Tremendous community support, highly interactive devs… shut down because it wasn’t lucrative enough.

That’s a ludicrous comparison. CoH is 11 years old. If anything, it tells us we should be concerned that NCSOFT may shut GW1 down sometime in the next 2 years (and I wouldn’t be surprised).

See, that’s not even accurate; the cycle of the game was a little over 8 years from launch to its eventual shut down. Now that I think about it, though, the only real issue with that analogy is that NCSoft is a publisher, not a developer, and I can’t say for sure how much influence NCSoft does or doesn’t have on the development and marketing of a title.
If you think they don’t factor in at all though, well… I have some beachfront property in Kansas you may be interested in.

Posted by: Rakshasa.5493

Rakshasa.5493

Wait, I spent £42.99, when it came out, and you can pick up Gw2 now for £15, wait so I should get a refund?

Pretty much that’s what you guys are saying ?

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

See, that’s not even accurate; the cycle of the game was a little over 8 years from launch to its eventual shut down. Now that I think about it, though, the only real issue with that analogy is that NCSoft is a publisher, not a developer, and I can’t say for sure how much influence NCSoft does or doesn’t have on the development and marketing of a title.
If you think they don’t factor in at all though, well… I have some beachfront property in Kansas you may be interested in.

NCSoft isn’t just the publisher of GW2, ANet is a subsidiary of them, as it was with Paragon Studios (CoH developers)

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.