ANet - you have a moral duty here

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

There will, I suspect, be many other threads on this. This may well get merged into one of them; but I’m starting it because I want someone at ANet to read it at least once, and at least spend 30 seconds considering it before consigning it to the trash basket. That being the case, I have no wish for this post to start life buried 30 pages into a thread that ANet probably gave up reading on page 2.

ANet.

I realise that business plans change. But you’ve blundered. Some of your customer base, including me, are going to be out of pocket as a result of your changed plans, and to feel justifiably aggrieved. You seriously need to consider what sort of company you are – because you have at least a moral duty to address those grievances.

The problem is simple. Anyone who recently bought an extra copy of the game is out of pocket, to your advantage, through your entirely preventable fault and none of their own. If you have a moral bone in your corporate body, you will look to address that fault.

Over the last few months you made explicit announcements to the effect that HoT would NOT be stand-alone, and that a copy of the base game would be required. You also on multiple occasions promoted extra copies of that base game at a discount.

Acting in good faith on your announcements, I, and others, bought extra account copies in preparation for the expansion.

Now that HoT is available for pre-order, that is shown to have been misleading (whether intentionally or not, is simply not germane). Whatever the original intent, calling HoT an “expansion” was and is incorrect. HoT is simply the short-hand label for the additional content to be bundled into a new, stand-alone version of the full game. You may choose to continue to represent it as an “upgrade”, but in truth what you’re doing is simply supporting the migration of existing accounts to that new game version.

The result is that any extra copy of the game purchased in recent weeks in preparation for HoT (and I stress, purchased in good faith relying upon your public representations that it would be required) was effectively a wasted purchase, to your benefit and the customer’s detriment. No customer, having bought such an account and then “upgraded” it with HoT, will be functionally any better off than they would have been, had they not bought the extra copy in the first place. Indeed, it could be argued that they would do better to install HoT as a further, entirely new copy of the game, because they would then at least have the benefit of a further account.

How you address this will, in a small way, be a test of what sort of a company you are. You can’t deny that you have, deliberately or otherwise, misrepresented your plans, and by that misrepresentation induced loyal customers to give you money. You therefore can’t deny, either, a moral duty to acknowledge that fact and to compensate them in some way. The question is, will you?

It seems to me that the ball is firmly in your court.

(edited by Doghouse.1562)

Posted by: Dott.5672

Dott.5672

While ANet will probably ignore this, for what it’s worth, I appreciate that you took the time to write this.

“Guild Wars 2 fans are big role-players, and
we love to give them the tools they need
to have big, important events!” Stop lying, ANet.

Posted by: Bainos.1643

Bainos.1643

There was a red post on Reddit where they announced that they would “help anyone out who just bought the core game and would like to make the change to a HoT pre-purchase”.

It won’t be automatic and I don’t know to what extent they will offer that help, but I guess that if you specifically bought the game to be able to get the extension you have some chances of getting it.

Source : https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a46s4/preorders_for_heart_of_thorns_are_now_live/cs96lfu

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

The catch is that you will have to give up everything you’ve built so far for a completely blank slate.

Posted by: Dott.5672

Dott.5672

Oh, grand, a post on kittening reddit but no official announcement by any other means?

Good job, ANet. Not everyone lurks on reddit.

“Guild Wars 2 fans are big role-players, and
we love to give them the tools they need
to have big, important events!” Stop lying, ANet.

Posted by: smitske.4912

smitske.4912

There was a red post on Reddit where they announced that they would “help anyone out who just bought the core game and would like to make the change to a HoT pre-purchase”.

It won’t be automatic and I don’t know to what extent they will offer that help, but I guess that if you specifically bought the game to be able to get the extension you have some chances of getting it.

Source : https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a46s4/preorders_for_heart_of_thorns_are_now_live/cs96lfu

It wont be automatically and I am fairly certain the amount of people that will request it is not even close to the amount of sales they made and while some will be refunded so that Anet can look like nice guys, they will still have scammed a lot more people.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

good point, and well written.

Posted by: Machiavell.7396

Machiavell.7396

Beautifully written, argumented exactly how we feel about it. I hope this post will become most important post on entire forum now.

Unofficial Master Bugfinder and Design Critic.
“He will improve everything that ArenaNet added to infinity and beyond.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I suspect the sticking point will be that Anet could claim they’ve never promoted one person buying multiple accounts – the promotions were targeted at new players who had previously been put off by the cost of the game.

Having said that I would have thought if you’ve bought a copy recently, whether it’s a 1st, 2nd, 16th etc. account you could probably talk to Support about getting it changed.

It might be that they close your existing account and refund you the money and you then have to buy the HoT pre-purchase (to stop people who bought the game years ago cheating the system to get a free upgrade) but they should be able to do something.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Iridium.8416

Iridium.8416

Greats words you found there. Im really kittened now i have an alt account. Friends have two alt accounts, all purchased during those events. And now they are all useless, what strategy is this ? Give us the basegam in addition… for free? Then you have to justify why a addon would cost 45 €. Dont take me wrong but Gw2 featured more than 25 huge maps. Several PVP maps. Several WVW Maps. 8 classes. Now you bring barely any content ! Four maps probably? thats nothing compared to the basegame but the addon costs even more. I probably wont purchase this, its just to expensive and greedy. Find your moralbone and give it to us for 25 bucks that would be ok as an addon. That i consider as SMALL, compared to thousands of addons that were published for other games that featured way more

(edited by Iridium.8416)

Doghouse.1562

I guess I’ll try following that up. I’m sanguine about how successful I’m likely to be, but it doesn’t hurt to try.

Posted by: Salvatore.4983

Salvatore.4983

I’m not in your situation and I can understand what your trying to say. Stating this is not just ANet standard behaviour, but you’ll find out most of companies behave like that, what they should have done here it was simple. Assuming they long knew when pre.purchasing would have been available, they should have been announcing few weeks ago that whoever was going to buy the game from that date would have been able to upgrade that copy of the game in a different way from the others.
I support you, hope ANet can provide you help guys.

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

Completely agree, i can see pass through it as the expansion will be causing 50$ anyway and my main concern is about whether the expansion worth 50$.

but it’s just a new low for Anet, a lose-lose one and a completely preventable one too,

Posted by: CaptainChemosh.1853

CaptainChemosh.1853

I completely agree with you, op.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

To be fair to reality, none of this would’ve happened if people hadn’t have demanded an expansion. Why would people play a game that says it will never have an expansion and then demand an expansion.

I never wanted an expansion. They never wanted it either.

You gotta give them a little leeway for completely switching gears to enact a business model that was the exact opposite of what they were planning on when they launched the game.

People should’ve stopped begging for what the game wasn’t and instead been asking for more of what made the game great on launch.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

I honestly can’t tell who’s joking any more.

“A moral Duty?”

really?

Posted by: Alexxander.8306

Alexxander.8306

It wont be automatically and I am fairly certain the amount of people that will request it is not even close to the amount of sales they made and while some will be refunded so that Anet can look like nice guys, they will still have scammed a lot more people.

This, they are cunning.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I honestly can’t tell who’s joking any more.

“A moral Duty?”

really?

It’s a fantasy that some like to believe. Even I used to believe it, back in a different game.

The fact is that ANet has no moral duty to us. They are a business, we are the customers. That’s it. They could rise above and beyond that, but have chosen not to and have shown that well before now. People need to remember that.

People ALSO need to remember that they have no moral duty to ANet, either. There is no requirement that you do anything to help them in any way. Support the game with gems? Don’t need to. Give it good press? Don’t need to. Report a bug/exploit you found? Don’t need to. (Just don’t abuse/use it, either.) You may want to, and ANet would LOVE for you to feel that you need to, but it’s their mess to deal with. Not yours.

There is no moral duty here. However … you are the person you are. We’re not required to be better than them, but we can still choose to be so. No matter how upset I may be at ANet right now, tonight I plan to log into the game and be nice to my fellow players, and make fairly calm posts on the forums. The only moral duty is to ourselves, let’s make a better choice about it than ANet has.

P.S. : Sorry, that kind of went WAY off topic, didn’kitten

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Doghouse.1562

“Moral duty” is shorthand for “Shafting your existing customer base is bad business.” Anyway – it would seem that someone at ANet understands the concept and has taken notice of us. Good for them.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/