About Precusor Crafting and Price

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Bebunw.8137

Bebunw.8137

I hope they took into account that some precursors are cheaper to buy than other ones (underwater precursors = under 100 gold), it won’t be good to craft a precursor if the price of all the components is more expensive than the actual precursor.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

They won’t. I can’t see them balancing components based on player demand for a particular weapon. What if at some later time they add more underwater content and the demand for underwater precursors goes up? It would then be the direct opposite situation of what you’re seeing now.

Posted by: Impala.7462

Impala.7462

Well if you actually watched the show…
They said the price of the collection is around the same cost of the current designated precursor.

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

They said the price of the collection is around the same cost of the current designated precursor.

Except that I imagine Legendary Inscriptions are fairly standard…
10 Elonian leather at current prices is 35g.

Assuming an Inscription is needed for each “tier” and you have to craft/salvage each tier…
That’s 105g, just for the leather. (granted, leather prices could go back down, but ANet probably has added other recipes using it… Like Legendary armor.)

TL;DR: There’s no way they balanced this for the underwater legendaries. The price of those was less than 80g prior to the crafting announcement.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Actually what they said was the wanted to preserve the gold/time value of them.
But what exactly does that mean?

Are the collections balanced (cost wise) around where the market has the precursers now? (yeah, great lets arbitrarily pick a point and just fix the prices in place forever)
(while at the same time making the mats required, and thus every other item that uses them, that much more expensive?)

Or are they built with a standard process across all pres (using different ingrediants obviously) that’s going to normalize the price range a bit? Will it crash the expensive ones or jack up the cheap ones?

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

Are the collections balanced (cost wise) around where the market has the precursers now? (yeah, great lets arbitrarily pick a point and just fix the prices in place forever)
(while at the same time making the mats required, and thus every other item that uses them, that much more expensive?)

Or are they built with a standard process across all pres (using different ingrediants obviously) that’s going to normalize the price range a bit? Will it crash the expensive ones or jack up the cheap ones?

I’m thinking that with John Smith’s input, they probably chose the latter. Elonian Leather is still higher than what it was before the announcement. (In fact, I’m thinking they intentionally only showed Tier 1 crafting to gauge how the market would respond.)

I think it seems likely targeted ~500g for mats (excluding whatever “lost value” there was for trading Geodes/etc. to the merchants for the various collections).

Keep in mind, material prices are likely to rise over time (especially with the addition of Legendary Armor), so this cost will go up as well.

I expect that sellable precursors will retain their existing value (especially since you pay a flat fee and don’t have to do any of the tedious collections)

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

One thing is for sure: TP prices will go down, considering demand decrease and offer increase (crafted precursor pre-HoT will be tradable).

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

One thing is for sure: TP prices will go down, considering demand decrease and offer increase (crafted precursor pre-HoT will be tradable).

Depends on the cost of all the materials and the amount of time it takes.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Their is one thing that is not accounted for: Completionism.

Even more so if their is an achievement associated with it.

It will annoy me no end knowing that I haven’t done the collection for, and steps towards, all the precursor skin steps. And it’ll sit there in my collections section unfinished, bugging me.

At that point the cost is moot. For many they’ll simply feel compelled to get it done. Just becasue. lol.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$