About how "not casual" this game is.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

If you can’t plan around that, then I think you might have bigger problems than working with a video game timetable.

Of course I could plan around it. It’s just that I won’t. Because it’s the height of insanity that I should. It’s a bloody game. It’s light entertainment. It’s something I do leisurely.

Who are you to say what people can and cannot do with their given time? If you don’t want to take a game seriously enough to adapt to its functionality, then the correct course of action is to simply stop playing it. Just like how you don’t have to cater to the game’s schedule, the game does not have to cater to your schedule either. Instead of demanding what you want on a silver platter, go find something better suited for your time. You might be surprised to find that your problem will be solved.

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Woah, “…not casual…”

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Oh, and of course, it’s complete, unadulterated nonsense that events and raids are on timers … at least that’s what I’ve been told. l stand corrected.

Nonsense indeed. The last map they released before HoT, Silverwastes, uses a great alternative way to run its meta cycle. I can’t get my head around why they didn’t do the HoT maps in a similar way.

You can’t get your head around it because it’s not different >< … Silverwastes is still on a scheduled timer and so is HoT. If you want to do something specific in SW, like say .. running the Nightmare maze … you STILL need to be in the right place at the right time, JUST like you need to be in the right place at the right time to run ANY other specific events in HoT.

You’re complaint applies the SAME in SW, Dry Top and even the main or chain events in Tyria main as it does in HoT. But of course, somehow to you, it makes sense to QQ about it for HoT only, because then you wouldn’t have anything to ragepost about instead of learning when the events you want to participate in take place.

Seriously? I ask you again: do you even play this game?

Silverwastes is not on the clock. It advances based on the efforts of participating players. That’s why you can “breach hop”. You don’t have to log on at a specific time, you just have to find the right map. In HoT, if you don’t log on at the right time, map hopping won’t help you, you’ll need to wait for the meta-cycle to restart.

Silverwastes is nothing like the HoT mess. Nothing.

Manasa Devi.7958

If you can’t plan around that, then I think you might have bigger problems than working with a video game timetable.

Of course I could plan around it. It’s just that I won’t. Because it’s the height of insanity that I should. It’s a bloody game. It’s light entertainment. It’s something I do leisurely.

Who are you to say what people can and cannot do with their given time? If you don’t want to take a game seriously enough to adapt to its functionality, then the correct course of action is to simply stop playing it. Just like how you don’t have to cater to the game’s schedule, the game does not have to cater to your schedule either. Instead of demanding what you want on a silver platter, go find something better suited for your time. You might be surprised to find that your problem will be solved.

Jeez man, get off it. I haven’t told anyone what to do with their time, unlike what you’re doing here. Hypocritical much?

I am in fact not playing HoT, because it’s rubbish. I will post about it though, as often and as critically as I see fit.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Oh, and of course, it’s complete, unadulterated nonsense that events and raids are on timers … at least that’s what I’ve been told. l stand corrected.

Nonsense indeed. The last map they released before HoT, Silverwastes, uses a great alternative way to run its meta cycle. I can’t get my head around why they didn’t do the HoT maps in a similar way.

You can’t get your head around it because it’s not different >< … Silverwastes is still on a scheduled timer and so is HoT. If you want to do something specific in SW, like say .. running the Nightmare maze … you STILL need to be in the right place at the right time, JUST like you need to be in the right place at the right time to run ANY other specific events in HoT.

You’re complaint applies the SAME in SW, Dry Top and even the main or chain events in Tyria main as it does in HoT. But of course, somehow to you, it makes sense to QQ about it for HoT only, because then you wouldn’t have anything to ragepost about instead of learning when the events you want to participate in take place.

Seriously? I ask you again: do you even play this game?

Silverwastes is not on the clock. It advances based on the efforts of participating players. That’s why you can “breach hop”. You don’t have to log on at a specific time, you just have to find the right map. In HoT, if you don’t log on at the right time, map hopping won’t help you, you’ll need to wait for the meta-cycle to restart.

Silverwastes is nothing like the HoT mess. Nothing.

You still can’t ‘choose’ to do whatever events you want whenever you want in Silverwastes like you’re QQing you can’t do in HoT so nothing I’ve said changes. Just because you ‘outplayed’ the system to be able to do it doesn’t make that a ‘feature’ of the intended SW game design.

And speaking of which … maphoping … coming from the guy who’s trying to convince everyone he’s not into ‘planning and managing his RL time to a game schedule’. You’re doing EXACTLY that when you’re wasting time jumping between maps to optimizing your map choice to do specific content.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Manasa Devi.7958

You still can’t ‘choose’ to do whatever events you want whenever you want in Silverwastes like you’re QQing you can’t do in HoT so nothing I’ve said changes. Just because you ‘outplayed’ the system to be able to do it doesn’t make that a ‘feature’ of the intended SW game design.

Actually what you’ve said changes a lot. You’re moving the goalposts. Typical behaviour for someone who’s wrong but can’t admit it.

And speaking of which … maphoping … coming from the guy who’s trying to convince everyone he’s not into ‘planning and managing his RL time to a game schedule’. You’re doing EXACTLY that when you’re wasting time jumping between maps to optimizing your map choice to do specific content.

Doing anything in the game at a time I happen to be in the game doesn’t mean I’ve decided when to make time to play the game. It’s inconceivable to me how someone could argue this with a straight face. Surely you are just trolling at this point?

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

O god i hope they purge alot of these posts ive never seen such negativity in my 3 years of gw2 its getting crazy i dont know if its because of the free game now or that the WoW community been making the leap over of its either of the two leave ya nagging at the door and enjoy the game withot paying monthly. Good god.

Manasa Devi.7958

O god i hope they purge alot of these posts ive never seen such negativity in my 3 years of gw2 its getting crazy i dont know if its because of the free game now or that the WoW community been making the leap over of its either of the two leave ya nagging at the door and enjoy the game withot paying monthly. Good god.

I think it’s far more likely that many people who enjoyed GW2 are genuinely not enjoying HoT.

Posted by: Klangy.8293

Klangy.8293

I think it’s far more likely that many people who enjoyed GW2 are genuinely not enjoying HoT.

I think not. Sure all you read about on Forums are complain, but that not a big playerbase that’s here. That’s why i did this post, to tell you all “casual” (more like lazy) people that it’s not..

Timed events? Yea sure ofc, it’s a long chain. And different on all servers. It’s not night at the same time u know. Maybe u miss The start but u can ALWAYS just join in. It’s good exp either way.

Manasa Devi.7958

I think not. Sure all you read about on Forums are complain, but that not a big playerbase that’s here. That’s why i did this post, to tell you all “casual” (more like lazy) people that it’s not..

Well, who do you think are the complaining people then?

People who hated the game to begin with? Why would they have bought HoT to begin with?

Timed events? Yea sure ofc, it’s a long chain. And different on all servers. It’s not night at the same time u know. Maybe u miss The start but u can ALWAYS just join in. It’s good exp either way.

It’s actually the same cycle on all servers.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

Klangy.8293

As I said. It’s not big playerbase that use The Forums. Yes night and days cycle is The same. Depend on people you can either join from start of an event or in The end. I havet not Been able to kill all 5 Bosses yet. Atleast not in The same night. But i get alot of exp and have fun either way.

Manasa Devi.7958

I’m not saying everyone who enjoys GW2 is complaining about HoT. I’m saying the ones who are complaining probably enjoy GW2. Not the same thing.

Klangy.8293

That may be true. Still it’s not many people complaininh. And i dont understand the people that do. You cant get all on a silver plate. Put some effort in IF you want something fancy.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

This forum is no more negative now than it was at launch. Get a clue: game forums have negativity. If it bothers you, I’m sure there are other things you could be doing with your time.

Besides, nearly every post I’ve read from you is just as whiny and negative as any other I’ve seen from the people you complain about.

And what the hell do you have against punctuation?

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

GW2’s origianl story had no artificial gates, only level, which you could get by questing without the need to ‘group up’ for endless meta events.

I think it not unreasonable I expected HOT to be an extension of GW2 not turn it into GW3, nothing in the pre-launch hype indicated a huge departure from the gameplay of GW2 which HOT is.

There is no difference at all.

GW2 1-80: ENTIRELY SOLOABLE NO NEED FOR ANYONE TO HELP
GW2-HOT: NEED OTHERS TO TACKLE THE CONTENT TO UNLOCK MASTERIES

Entirely different!!!

Pre-HOT there was only one time your own progress was gated by the need to get others to help, and the Story re-vamp in March did away with that.

HOT changed the game from one where it was OPTIONAL whether you did group content to one which is firmly rooted in the 1990s group-or-die mentality; no gorpu, forget progression.

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

Been reading alot about how hard everything is. Well it’s not..Not everything. Sure IF you want legendary armor, u have to put some effort and skills to get it. You don’t get it for free, or fast. HP points, well IF you want 100% (for legendary once again) you need to put effort and group with people. Get 25 points for elite is really easy and no effort.

Masterys, well what do you expect? Get them all on 1 week? For what reason? You don’t need them all for your "casual’ gaming. Do 70-80% in each zone, tag along on The event and you will easy get the exp needed.

Really im kinda frustrated how people can complain so much about something they will never get IF they play casual. Well not in 2weeks that is.

About precursor crafting, people taught they would get it cheap and fast, complain about it and dont realise that u get it atleast for 100% and if you craft The dailys and gather some each day, u will get it. The price is high npw cuz people keep buyout The stuff. And complain it’s expensive? Dont understand..a legendary is suppose to be expensive and take alot of time to get. It’s not casual to have many legendarys. I have 1, and Been playing for 3 years..

Tl:dr shave yourself and get a job. Dont complain about stuff u never get anyway. And enjoy The gsmr, dont think about The skins you Never need..

I agree that Legendary crafting should be hard, obviously.

However, I do not see why I need to grind grind grind with ALL of my characters just to unlock a trait line! I did it on one character only, and cannot be bothered with any of my other alts now. Which basically ruins the game for me.

I think that the whole game is just about grinding masteries now, and that has completely ruined things for me. As of today, I’ve pretty much decided not to play anymore. Since you won’t let me be a ‘casual’ player and enjoy the new content without grinding, I’ll find something else to occupy my time.

Klangy.8293

Masterys are one time job. It’s account bound. I did Tomé a elementalist to 80 2 days ago. It took me with around 1-2 hours tp get elite spec. It’s only 25 HP u need to tskr. Very easy solo IF u do The easy one on each map. And it’s fun aswell. You can even take it slow and earn some exp ön your way. I have 4 elite spec full unlocked. And im 4-2-4-2 in masterys. Not a single grind for me. Just run around dö event when i pass by, and do HP

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

Thank you. I can’t bring myself to buy the Xpac because almost everything I see and read about it went so far away from the original game, that I don’t recognize it as my former favourite MMO anymore. The reasons why I left WoW years ago are suddenly all over GW2:HoT. I can’t even recommend the game in it’s current state to my friends like I did before.

Also, about the so-hated forum negativity, I always try to see it like this: In my business, I’m grateful when customers complain about things that I could do better or did wrong. Most of it improves my work and kind of ensures me, that those customers will stick to my company and become a loyal backup for any new project. The “silent” customers who are unhappy and don’t use their right to speak up (which they have 100%, because they paid me) just leave – silently – and I don’t have any clue why this happened and what I can do to make this stop.

What happens with HoT at the moment is kind of a “replacement” of the active playerbase. Many people who are unhappy about the changes leave while f2p players who are happy with the main game buy the Xpac. Problem is: The Xpac is VERY different compared to the core game. I bet some prev. f2p players are also unhappy about the changes and won’t invest anymore money to the game, thus the backup GW2 has gets smaller and new projects “might” become more risky (I’m not saying this happens for sure!). The former, loyal playerbase, was there for at least 3 years, some players even since GW1. Just telling them to “shave yourself and get a job” is disrespetcful and hurts the game more than all those complains together. And as some1 wrote before; the “useless” casuals are in most cases the ones who have jobs and probably fund the game alot more than the elitists. Those people leave GW2:HoT right now.

But if this is what ArenaNet really wants, who am I to stop them from doing so? It’s their game, if they want to alter it instead of enhance what they alread had they are always free to make this decision. It just saddens me that HoT is -at least for me- a gameover. An addition to a great game shouldn’t work like this.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Ah. So here we find the issue. There is content you want to do, and you’re not interested in anything else. (It’s certainly not the case that there is nothing else to do. The first few days of HoT I didn’t participate in any big meta events – in fact, most were consistently failing still – and spent hours running around the different maps completing random events and exploration points. And easily got the mastery levels required for the story. There is 100% no requirement to participate in map meta events in order to have things to do and get mastery levels.

I ran around plenty. Almost done with exploring. And now I want to do the meat and drink of those areas.

So my question to you is this: What if in core Tyria, you really wanted to fight the shatterer? Or you wanted to run Arah path 2? Well, you’d either have to wait for – you guessed it – a timer to fight the shatterer (and hope that the pre-events got completed), or you’d spend sometimes several hours looking for a group for some dungeon content (remember the days before lfg…?).

Actually, I stopped doing world bosses when they went on a fixed clock at the time of the megaserver introduction. I’ve done most of them only once or twice since, if I happened to come across them or someone asked me to join them there and I felt bad of saying “no” and ruining their fun. I don’t do dungeons.

Unfortunately, HoT has no significant new content at all that’s not on a fixed clock rotation.

GW2 has always had content that you can’t just log on and do literally whenever you feel like it. The problem occurs when that content is the only thing to do, and for some reason people seem to think that the meta events are just that.

But it is. It most definitely is.

Instead, explore the maps

Yep, and after that?

play the adventures

Tied to the kitten meta.

participate in random smaller events

Done that, not very appealing.

do a fractals instance

Done plenty of those.

hang out in LA

What? Why?

level crafting

Finished that ages ago.

chat with your guild

That’s what I do while playing.

do some sPvP

No.

head over to the EOTM

No.

do some world bosses

Yeah, when I’m disgusted with the itinerary play of the new HoT zones, I’ll go do some itinerary play I’ve been disgusted with for years. That makes sense.

complete Orr event chains (lot’s of people there now – it’s really good exp for central Tyria masteries)

Finished all those masteries a week ago. With no XP bar progress at all anymore, events feel more pointless than ever.

work on your legendary precursor collections, do jumping puzzles, find a random achievement and complete it.

Don’t want precursors, did all jumping puzzles, completed all non HoT achievements that I ever plan to do ages ago.

There is tons to do in this game that’s not on a timer.

I get the impression when you’re talking about this game, you’re talking about GW2. I’m done with GW2. I want to do stuff in HoT.

And if you want to do content that is on a timer, then maybe that’s going to take a little bit of extra planing that you’ll have to do on the weekend.

Planning to play a game? Not a chance.

When I play, I never look at the timers. I just occasionally open up LFG: Open World and see what’s going on while I’m doing other content. Seems like there’s always someone advertising a “tarir taxi” or “VB tier 4”.

When I log on to play HoT, I want to play something new. When I need to wait for hours for a meta cycle to come round so I can play what I want, I log off.

(Not to mention that now you get incrementally rewarded for completing events on maps in addition to a larger reward for meta-event completion. Meaning you can just spend 15 minutes on a map and see rewards for that which is something we never had in central Tyria. It just seems to me like HoT is actually in some ways more casual-friendly than Tyria ever was.)

I don’t care about rewards. Ugly new weapons and ugly new armor can just rust and go away for all I care. I just want to do, for example, the outpost event chains from start to finish. Haven’t been able to do a single one yet.

tl;dr: “I don’t want to do that”.

So… why do you stay trying to play a game that apparently has no content you want to do? The story… uh-huh, but if you can’t do that because it’s so heavily gated behind a few trivial masteries that you don’t want to have to complete the content to earn what else is there for you here? Do you have to justify the money you spent on HoT to someone other than yourself?

I’m going to have to sound blunt…but you don’t really seem to like anything about this game – so why stick around?

If I only had an hour every night to shoe-horn in some entertainment, and Guild Wars wasn’t delivering, I’d find something else. Happily for me, Guild Wars delivers.

There is no difference at all.

GW2 1-80: ENTIRELY SOLOABLE NO NEED FOR ANYONE TO HELP
GW2-HOT: NEED OTHERS TO TACKLE THE CONTENT TO UNLOCK MASTERIES

Entirely different!!!

/shrug

I’ve done plenty of HoT events solo for XP. Back when HoT was very new, the Ordnance Corps area of VB was very rarely populated, so I often used to go to that corner of the map and progress all of the events solo, until some others would occasionally join in by the time I got to escorting Baroosh.

There is solo-able content out there. Some people are just so angry about the expansion that they refuse to see it.

(edited by Sarie.1630)

Manasa Devi.7958

tl;dr: “I don’t want to do that”.

Misrepresenting someone in your very first sentence is always a good start.

So… why do you stay trying to play a game that apparently has no content you want to do?

I play the parts I still enjoy. Unfortunately, none of them are in HoT.

The story… uh-huh, but if you can’t do that because it’s so heavily gated behind a few trivial masteries that you don’t want to have to complete the content to earn what else is there for you here?

Making stuff up because my post was “tl/dr”? Maybe you shouldn’t respond to posts you didn’t read? Go get in someone else’s face about mastery gating, you’re barking up the wrong tree here. Woof!

Do you have to justify the money you spent on HoT to someone other than yourself?

I’m a GW2 player voicing my opinion on a product I paid money for. That’s what people do. Nothing you say or do has any effect on that opinion or the manner in which I express it.

I’m going to have to sound blunt…but you don’t really seem to like anything about this game – so why stick around?

I do like this game. That’s why it’s so hard to swallow that its first expansion is such a horrible, lukewarm pile of kitten excrement.

If I only had an hour every night to shoe-horn in some entertainment, and Guild Wars wasn’t delivering, I’d find something else. Happily for me, Guild Wars delivers.

Sure. I’m not spending the time in HoT that I hoped to be spending there. Do you think I’m some kind of nutcase playing it despite hating it and cursing at the screen, frothing at the mouth? No. I’m not playing it anymore since a few days ago. I’m just posting about it on this forum, which seems to be something that somehow doesn’t sit well with you, for no reason I can’t fathom. Newsflash: I’m not about to stop complaining anytime soon. It’s more entertaining than HoT.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Surely you are just trolling at this point?

No more so than you are; you even admitted to continually complaining about it.

I’m just trying to figure out how thin that knife’s edge is that you separate HoT content implementation from any other scheduled content in the game. Obviously the hairs you like to split are small enough to have convinced yourself that HoT is somehow different AND gamebreaking to you than everything else in this game, though it’s based on the same principles as most other content. Well, I can only say you’re missing out on some fun because of some really thin hairs.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

OP…

Nailed it!

CCCP….

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

I do like this game. That’s why it’s so hard to swallow that its first expansion is such a horrible, lukewarm pile of kitten excrement.

I trust you shall not be buying the next expansion, if there is to be one, until it has been well and truly tested and reviewed after release.

Manasa Devi.7958

[snip] … though it’s based on the same principles as most other content.

You keep repeating that. It just isn’t true. It doesn’t even get close to the truth. The truth is so far removed from it, it’s embarrassing.

Manasa Devi.7958

I trust you shall not be buying the next expansion, if there is to be one, until it has been well and truly tested and reviewed after release.

kitten straight I won’t.

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

There is solo-able content out there.

But mostly only in VB. Atleast almost all of the repeatable stuff and what the HoT-maps are finally about is focused on map-wide coordination and timers, DS is even almost shut down without massive coordination.

They´ve gone too far, even more with all the issues which hinder that coordination.

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

There is solo-able content out there.

But mostly only in VB. Atleast almost all of the repeatable stuff and what the HoT-maps are finally about is focused on map-wide coordination and timers, DS is even almost shut down without massive coordination.

They´ve gone too far, even more with all the issues which hinder that coordination.

Posted by: Rex.6954

Rex.6954

I simply want to play the story, I can’t, it’s gated by masteries. :p

If you want to play a game where you’re allowed to set your own rules, perhaps a board game? Monopoly? Screw the rules…you can make Mayfair cost the same as Old Kent Road if you want. Maybe go around the board in the wrong direction so that it wasn’t as grindy to get the higher value properties.

This game has to try to cater to so many types of individuals. I don’t like Raids, so other than an occasional trip in with my Guild, I can’t see myself grinding them out each night. This’ll mean I likely never get Legendary Armour. That’s fine. PvPers hate it in PvE. WvWers are bitter about every other game mode. …and everyone, everyone complains when they “have to” go into game modes they don’t enjoy to get rewards they want feel they are owed “because they paid money for the game”.

First off, a little condescending don’t you think? Also, having only one path to get to the same or similar point is simply bad design and lazy. As in life there is more than one way to do something, in (not so) HoT however it is this one way our your out of luck, so yeah if you pay $140 Aus for a game (as I did) you would expect a little more flexibility, and take it easy and have fun, it’s a game.

Posted by: Rex.6954

Rex.6954

Masterys are one time job. It’s account bound. I did Tomé a elementalist to 80 2 days ago. It took me with around 1-2 hours tp get elite spec. It’s only 25 HP u need to tskr. Very easy solo IF u do The easy one on each map. And it’s fun aswell. You can even take it slow and earn some exp ön your way. I have 4 elite spec full unlocked. And im 4-2-4-2 in masterys. Not a single grind for me. Just run around dö event when i pass by, and do HP

Really, you had only 25 HP’s to get elite spec after launch of (not so) HoT, I have over half left and who knows how long that will take as I can’t get past most of the mobs and gates in HoT to finish them. Don’t have enough left in core areas to finish elite so, not sure really…

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

HoT isn’t very casual.

All of the new zones require map completion plus 100% to give out half decent rewards. That’s a ninety minute time commitment & anet sets the schedule on its own timers. If you try to play on your own schedule or don’t have hours to play the new pvE is frustrating.

The worst is tangled Depths, which requires you to complete events and get your participation up for events that take 20 minutes then wait another 2 hours to get your rewards.

The new classes are gated by hero points which the selves may require masteries or grouping.

The new WvW maps are linear and require time investment to get into. God forbid you show up on your own time, catching up to the remainder of the group is frustrating.

The most casual thing in HoT is Pvp, but even stronghold has its own learning curve.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Black Box.9312

Jeez man, get off it. I haven’t told anyone what to do with their time, unlike what you’re doing here. Hypocritical much?

I am in fact not playing HoT, because it’s rubbish. I will post about it though, as often and as critically as I see fit.

You’re literally calling people who devote more time to video games than you “freaks”. It’s pretty insulting, and completely uncalled for. You’re also complaining about something that should not and will not change. It’s wasted energy over something that isn’t a problem. Go somewhere else, because nobody else here wants to read it.

Celtic Lady.3729

Go somewhere else, because nobody else here wants to read it.

And yet, people ARE reading it. And replying. Including you.

Funny that.

Celtic Lady.3729

I see it as trying to be helpful.

I’m sorry, but the statement I originally quoted from you was not even in the same universe as “helpful.”

And “Go somewhere else” is, in fact, a command.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I don’t plan the time I spend playing games. I’m not a freak.

I knew you’d respond like that.

But if you wont help yourself… ciao!

Wut? Ok, I can understand that you offered some advice and a solution at least. But in my mind you´re far from reality if you really think that casual gamers will plan how they game and turn it into a job or at least a sports club. The answer was a little harsh, but it is basically spot on. For the working people a game is light entertainment to forget that they came home from heir job with nagging responsibilites, not something you put yourself into to work at spreadsheet wars 2.

If Anet in the future does not want to cater to this people, it is their right to do so but the impact may be harsh if it is a group large enough to really cut into their profits.
I leave it to you if you agree with me that at least a considerable portion of such Vets are in the process of leaving the game and may return if the grass gets greener again, aka the next expansion caters more to them.

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

There are more than enough casual aspects remaining in HoT. Gw2 is not hard core by any measure. The long, gated events requiring a minimum population and participation are less hard hard core than annoying in how heavily scripted they are.

Hard core is…
When you lose a week’s worth of experience each time you die.
When the nearest res point is a huge distance from your group.
When you get so little xp for mobs you can solo that everyone is forced to group because xp requirements to level are exponential.
When everyone in the group is expected to memorize a list of mob type weaknesses and immunities.
When the combo system is three or more tiers deep, attached to most spells and attacks, and everyone must know the which skills to use in the right order to avoid combinations where the mob takes normal or reduced damage from.
When most high level skills are rare drops from specific mobs you need a group to farm for.
When you wait for half an hour up to, maybe, all day to gather a group to go grind for xp or a rare drop you want/need.

(edited by Anchoku.8142)

Black Box.9312

I see it as trying to be helpful.

I’m sorry, but the statement I originally quoted from you was not even in the same universe as “helpful.”

And “Go somewhere else” is, in fact, a command.

Funny how things work when you cherry pick a specific phrase in the middle of a debate and try to incriminate it. In case you haven’t noticed, the person in question has been rather rude and insulting. I may have become a bit more insistent to counter such behavior. But the intention is all the same.

If you’d like to make an argument on his behalf, feel free to do so. But I’m not about to sit here and continue to justify my words to someone that isn’t actually contributing to the conversation at hand. There is nothing that I have to prove to you.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

There are more than enough casual aspects remaining in HoT. Gw2 is not hard core by any measure. The long, gated events requiring a minimum population and participation are less hard hard core than annoying in how heavily scripted they are.

Hard core is…
When you lose a week’s worth of experience each time you die.
When the nearest res point is a huge distance from your group.
When you get so little xp for mobs you can solo that everyone is forced to group because xp requirements to level are exponential.
When everyone in the group is expected to memorize a list of mob type weaknesses and immunities.
When the combo system is three or more tiers deep, attached to most spells and attacks, and everyone must know the which skills to use in the right order to avoid combinations where the mob takes normal or reduced damage from.
When most high level skills are rare drops from specific mobs you need a group to farm for.
When you wait for half an hour up to, maybe, all day to gather a group to go grind for xp or a rare drop you want/need.

I think nobody suggests that HoT is unplayable if you do not have much time to play it. I played Eve where you get penalized for nearly everything, I agree that there is a vast difference in quality and quantity of grind and challenge level.

But only because another game has much more severe problems with hardcore requirements, it does not let a game originally advertised as the casual, cooler classmate of regular MMOs that turns into one of the regular but kind of laid back kids of the hook in this regard.

Celtic Lady.3729

There is nothing that I have to prove to you.

No one ever suggested that you did.

Manasa Devi.7958

You’re literally calling people who devote more time to video games than you “freaks”.

This is not true.

It’s pretty insulting, and completely uncalled for.

That it would be, if it were true.

You’re also complaining about something that should not and will not change. It’s wasted energy over something that isn’t a problem. Go somewhere else, because nobody else here wants to read it.

Well, avoid my posts then because I haven’t even started yet. I’ll be back every day, for more of the same, until something changes. It takes mere minutes of time I couldn’t spend more productively if I wanted, being sat behind a PC anyway, and the result is entertaining. Every response I elicit helps keep the monster alive. Thanks for contributing.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

It’s times like these that really bring the Guild Wars 2 community together.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Black Box.9312

You’re literally calling people who devote more time to video games than you “freaks”.

This is not true.

I don’t plan the time I spend playing games. I’m not a freak.

Yes, it is. In case you haven’t noticed, people like you are the exact reason why Anet rarely speaks up in these forums. If you want to complain purely because you can, then you’re a hopeless case. Have fun wasting your effort for nothing.

Manasa Devi.7958

What it says there is just me proclaiming what I am not. That does not, ever, by any stretch of the imagination, equate to me “literally” calling anyone anything.

And… wasting my effort? My effort? I know why I am posting what I’m posting. I have an agenda. So I’m dismissive of people who have the audacity to tell me I should change the way I live my life to suit a game. What did you think was going to happen? I sure wasn’t going to sing joyful praise to the kind people with the funny screen names who opened my eyes. Really. Telling me what to do, that is most assuredly a giant waste of time if there ever was one.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Opp (and others), it has nothing to do with ‘causual’ of difficulty. It’s just that a number of players don’t WANT to play it the way it is now. It has become a different game: Fast arcade action instead of action rpg. Be alert all the time, team up, change your gear, dodge, etc. It’s ok for 10 minutes or so, to do a fast quest, but not all the time. It’s useless to keep repeating that it all can be done. Of course it can. But many of us don’t like to play this way. It’s like changing a turnbased strategy game into a real time strategy game. The fact is that there are players who don’t like fast action and they won’t adapt to the new sort of gameplay, but leave if nothing changes.

(edited by Albadaran.1283)

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Instead, explore the maps

Yep, and after that?

play the adventures

Tied to the kitten meta.

participate in random smaller events

Done that, not very appealing.

do a fractals instance

Done plenty of those.

hang out in LA

What? Why?

level crafting

Finished that ages ago.

chat with your guild

That’s what I do while playing.

do some sPvP

No.

head over to the EOTM

No.

do some world bosses

Yeah, when I’m disgusted with the itinerary play of the new HoT zones, I’ll go do some itinerary play I’ve been disgusted with for years. That makes sense.

Ahahhahaha, this was just epic and hilarous. :P It was the perfect response to the tired “here’s all the things you can do!” posts that list out loads of stuff we’ve already done or decided we have no interest in. Honestly all of your posts in this thread have been pure awesome. Too bad some can’t be bothered to actually read and understand them.

Regarding the timers, I actually do appreciate them, but I have much longer to play and I’m fine with scheduling gaming time. So for me I think they’re incredibly helpful because they allow me to join the start of events or the boss fights.

What I think is bad though is the length of these event chains in each map. Verdant Brink is two and a half hours, iirc. Two and a half hours. That’s just faaaaaar too long. I really sympathise with people who don’t have so much time to game or are unable to log in at specific times. Personally I feel ANet made a mistake in only offering these event-only zones with very long event chains. I wish there was more variety.

You still can’t ‘choose’ to do whatever events you want whenever you want in Silverwastes like you’re QQing you can’t do in HoT

Wat? Sure you can. Silverwaste keeps and the escort events pop frequently. And at nearly all times of the day can you find a map well on its way to the Breach. Only the legendary bosses would be the problematic events to find.

And to be honest, there’s not exactly a variety of events to choose from. Keep defending is keep defending no matter which one you’re at. Same for the escorts.

That may be true. Still it’s not many people complaininh. And i dont understand the people that do. You cant get all on a silver plate. Put some effort in IF you want something fancy.

Did you even bother to read their posts? They don’t want anything shiny. They just want to see the actual content of the meta events. Good grief people. You guys are ascribing too many things to them that they’ve simply not said.

(edited by Lothirieth.3408)

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

I dont see how this is a better alternative. Standing around waiting for an event to start due to it being RNG, or getting into a map where the event is already halfway through doesnt seem at all better. If anything it will waste even more time and cause more trouble doing events from start to finish as you cant predict at all what the state of the map will be when you enter.

It works for silverwastes, due to the map style being the same events repeated over and over until the end bosses but would not work for HOT, as the events are all unique and progress is built upon each other.

At least with the new style you have some control and can predict what you will be doing when you choose to play. The old style of core tyria was terrible to me. Running around aimlessly with no real direction and relying on RNG for an event to spawn near you just seems silly to me. Its why I never returned to old maps to do events after I had finished the 100% completion.

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

Personally I feel ANet made a mistake in only offering these event-only zones with very long event chains. I wish there was more variety

So very much this. They made each map a more aggressive, unforgiving Silverwastes and decided that was the way forward. I’d love that … if it were only 1 or 2 of the new maps. Somewhere in the warzone of the jungle, I was hoping to find a map that wasn’t so hectic and I could just explore and take in the beauty without worrying overly much about Mordrem snipers. In the core game they have Cursed Shore (based on chained meta events) and they have Frostgorge, which … isn’t so much. I just wanted a jungle version of Frostgorge in there somewhere.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

call yourself lazy will ya? seeing you spend so much time in this game. some people have lives away from pc’s as well and therefore are casual gamers. seems you are not grasping what people are actually are complaining about (minus some silly complaints about difficulty of mobs)