Adding a new class that can't be played

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Spartacus.9743

Spartacus.9743

This is the real problem that most of ppl are trying to understand…
I’m gonna buy HoT, wich includes with other new contents a brand new class, and if i don’t sacrifice a char/ buy a slot with gems (other 10 bucks)/ spend in game money for new character slot, i can’t play the new class I’ve paid for…

What’s the logic in all this?
I mean, I have 8 char slot, 1 for each class, and they are part of the core game (5 slot base + 3 char slot bought), why do I have to buy an xpac that doesn’t give me the chance to play this new char without spending other resources?
I don’t have troubles buying in game a new slot, and i don’t have troubles on buy this expansion (wich i will buy surely), my/our greatest concern is why I/we have to spend other resources for playing what I/we’ve bought, that’s all

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

You’re gonna have to now buy the class in the middle of the upcoming massive gem inflation.

Good luck.

No.

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

GW2 released with five character slots and eight professions.

Your own opening post says you paid for three additional slots, presumably without a care or a million-thread forum kerfuffle.

A slot costs ten bucks. Skip a Big Mac combo one day and play your Revenant for years to come. I really don’t see what the giant deal is over the slots thing is. There’s other things to be bothered about. And a million threads in which to be bothered.

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Well here’s the thing, Anet is doing what they do best, ignoring the glaring issue and hoping it just goes away. Don’t expect an logical answer or any answer for that matter anytime in the near future.

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

There’s nobody who bought GW2 and couldn’t play all classes. Even if they couldn’t have one character of each class at the same time, they still had access to each one of them, up to 5 different at the same time.

With HoT, there are several people who cannot access Revenant at all, unless they buy an additional slot.

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

There’s nobody who bought GW2 and couldn’t play all classes. Even if they couldn’t have one character of each class at the same time, they still had access to each one of them, up to 5 different at the same time.

With HoT, there are several people who cannot access Revenant at all, unless they buy an additional slot.

they have access to it… if they buy the xpack, they gain the ability to make a revenant

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

they have access to it… if they buy the xpack, they gain the ability to make a revenant

You can’t make a Revenant without a character slot. Telling me to delete an existing character is a “batteries not included” deal. You are trying to sell me a different product, you even present it as a standalone. Yet, one of its features doesn’t “work” by itself.

Getefix.9150

they still have access to each of them, up to 5 at a time… the revenant isn’t a one shot deal, its a proper profession/class that you can create, delete and create again… you could even have 5 revenants if thats what you wanted, i really dont see what the issue here is

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

What you could have done was convert gold to gems and buy a new character slot with those immediately after the Revenant was announced as a new profession.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

You can’t make a Revenant without a character slot. Telling me to delete an existing character is a “batteries not included” deal. You are trying to sell me a different product, you even present it as a standalone. Yet, one of its features doesn’t “work” by itself.

This is analogy I can get behind. A free slot in the base package wouldn’t kill Anet. Especially since you can have up to 64 of the things.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

What you could have done was convert gold to gems and buy a new character slot with those immediately after the Revenant was announced as a new profession.

Thanks Captain Obvious. That doesn’t make offering the exp without the new slot a good idea or a good deal. That gold has a monetary value of $10 to me. That’s what I would have to spend to get that gold. It’s exactly the same as paying cash just less (a lot less) liquid.

Posted by: Boaz.1694

Boaz.1694

I completely agree with OP. I wish they would include an extra character slot to play the new profession. I don’t want to delete an existing character from the five that I have.

You can say that I can just buy the extra character slot, but the excitement about the new expansion is the extra content and the new profession. It feels like ANet is not providing you the ability to enjoy the game completely with the standard edition that does not provide the extra character slot. It feels under-handed.

Posted by: dragon.8071

dragon.8071

It’s obvious Anet expects those who have the game already to fork over that extra $10. Their hope is that you are one of them zombies who’ll do whatever it takes to experience the game in full.

Zerg Doors [ZD]

“Recent Graduate of Maguuma University with a degree in Forums Politics”

Jornophelanthas.1475

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Their hope is that you are one of them zombies

Name-calling? Really?

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

Your own opening post says you paid for three additional slots, presumably without a care or a million-thread forum kerfuffle.

A slot costs ten bucks. Skip a Big Mac combo one day and play your Revenant for years to come. I really don’t see what the giant deal is over the slots thing is. There’s other things to be bothered about. And a million threads in which to be bothered.

Imagine eating a Big Mac and then ordering another one. They bring you everything except the buns. When you ask where are the buns you get told that they are not included after your first order so you have to reuse the ones that came with your previous Big Mac. Where is the logic in that?

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Imagine eating a Big Mac and then ordering another one. They bring you everything except the buns. When you ask where are the buns you get told that they are not included after your first order so you have to reuse the ones that came with your previous Big Mac. Where is the logic in that?

I can’t answer this but what I do know is, I kind of want a big mac now.

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

Imagine having to reuse the bread you ATE.
I think I gotta throw up.

No.

Jornophelanthas.1475

It’s not bread you ate, but a lifetime bread subscription that you got and paid for three years ago.

Except now, the same company that brought you bread now has BreadPlus, which is way tastier and more nutritious than regular bread – with free peanut butter and jelly. Regular bread will no longer be sold to new bread eaters (although your current lifetime subscription will still be good and the recipe will be tweaked a bit).

Now, your friend (who never liked bread, but is interested in BreadPlus) is willing to buy a lifetime subscription to BreadPlus. You are considering upgrading to eating BreadPlus, but then you find out that the upgrade cost is exactly the same as your friend’s subscription cost. Even though you already paid the full subscription cost for your lifetime supply of bread three years ago.

This means that if you upgrade, the “lifetime supply of bread” you paid for only gave you three years of bread, and no discount on BreadPlus.

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

It’s not bread you ate, but a lifetime bread subscription that you got and paid for three years ago.

Except now, the same company that brought you bread now has BreadPlus, which is way tastier and more nutritious than regular bread – with free peanut butter and jelly. Regular bread will no longer be sold to new bread eaters (although your current lifetime subscription will still be good and the recipe will be tweaked a bit).

Now, your friend (who never liked bread, but is interested in BreadPlus) is willing to buy a lifetime subscription to BreadPlus. You are considering upgrading to eating BreadPlus, but then you find out that the upgrade cost is exactly the same as your friend’s subscription cost. Even though you already paid the full subscription cost for your lifetime supply of bread three years ago.

This means that if you upgrade, the “lifetime supply of bread” you paid for only gave you three years of bread, and no discount on BreadPlus.

You sure you ain’t related to an Asura? You sure sound like one.

Jornophelanthas.1475

Should I trademark BreadPlus and lifetime bread subscriptions?

Posted by: ShadowKatt.6804

ShadowKatt.6804

You sure you ain’t related to an Asura? You sure sound like one.

This cracked me up.
Posts like these almost make it worth it that Anet pulled a complete bonehead move…

Spartacus.9743

The concept is really simple: Revenant is one of the major features, so when i buy HoT i should be able to install it and play every feature the xpac has, included the new class…
It’s called: you buy something, you have something (simple market concept)
What they have done instead is: you buy something, but for having 1/5 of this something you have to pay more…

Posted by: Alexxander.8306

Alexxander.8306

White knight all you want, these issues won’t go away as the people bothered are speaking out.

Posted by: Uproller.1849

Uproller.1849

The concept is really simple: Revenant is one of the major features, so when i buy HoT i should be able to install it and play every feature the xpac has, included the new class…
It’s called: you buy something, you have something (simple market concept)
What they have done instead is: you buy something, but for having 1/5 of this something you have to pay more…

Yeah, exactly. You pay $50 for the expansion to play the new class – you should be able to play it out of the box. Not to go in and facepalm yourself after you found out you ran out of character slots and have to whip out your credit card again.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Well the game was original released with only 5 slots yet had 8 professions. So at release 3 professions were unplayable unless you deleted or purchased new slots. So if you look at xpac as being released with only 1 new profession being unplayable, isn’t that a better deal then getting 3 more that are unplayable? Also some people are making revenant be the only thing that this xpac is about.

There are going to be so many revenants when HoT launches. Why not hold off making one and see if anet has a discount on character slots? They have been discounted in the past several times and that is usually when I picked them up.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Spartacus.9743

This has nothing to do with the core game…
In the core game you bought a complete game with tons of content ecc..
In hot we are buying an expansion, a major feature content adding, not a new game..
Now, this major content Hot exclusive are:
-Mastery system
-Guild Halls
-New map
-New class
-Elite specialization
So we have 5 major feature content when we’ll buy HoT, but one of these requires an extra fee cause they don’t give you che chance to buy standard Hot with a slot for revenant included…
Why we have to pay more, we’ll pay for the xpac, we deserve to log in and enjoy instantly 1 of the major feature (maybe the most interesting) of the packet

Posted by: Vidal.4306

Vidal.4306

If they gave you a free character slot, you’d be less likely to buy the ultimate version which comes with HALFPRICEGEMSOMG.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Not including a character slot in the base package is nothing more than a blatant money grab. Can we please stop trying to justify it as anything else?

I haven’t seen a single other valid reason why a character slot should not have been included.

People who are defending this choice, what possible advantage do you have in this? Adding an extra slot has no negative impact on anyone, not even those who already have maxed the character slot capacity. So why fight against it?

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

(edited by Evans.6347)

Getefix.9150

you couldnt have one of every class at launch without paying a few gems so why is it so bad that you still cant? its not as though anything has changed

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

At launch you could create every class, since you had 5 empty slots. Meaning that comparing a new account and a veteran’s one is like comparing apples and oranges.

Getefix.9150

you can create every class so long as you deleted some… which is still true

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

you couldnt have one of every class at launch without paying a few gems so why is it so bad that you still cant? its not as though anything has changed

The point is, I’m going to have to pay for an additional character slot that I could potentially not need if I do not enjoy the new profession. There is no way of knowing if I will have wasted that money other than to play it, at a higher cost to a person purchasing the game now. At release, there were enough open slots that I had the opportunity to play all professions without having to pay an additional price. If I wanted to keep 1 of each profession, THEN I would have to pay, I was at least given the option to decide. Forcing me to delete characters I’ve invested hundreds of hours, and money on, is bad practice.

(edited by Vicariuz.1605)

Getefix.9150

well you have the ability to create a revenant, you can always buy the deluxe ed. which gives a character slot along with a bunch of other stuff, its really up to you

Vicariuz.1605

well you have the ability to create a revenant, you can always buy the deluxe ed. which gives a character slot along with a bunch of other stuff, its really up to you

Yes, I will have to pay more, for the same content.

Getefix.9150

then dont pay more, dont get the charcater slot and get the same content?

Vicariuz.1605

then dont pay more, dont get the charcater slot and get the same content?

I would have to pay $60 instead of $50 for the same content. Without the character slot, I don’t get to play the same content. There is no way around this.

Getefix.9150

so you’re saying that if you pay for a character slot, you dont get any extra content but if you dont pay for the character slot, you lose on content?

Vicariuz.1605

so you’re saying that if you pay for a character slot, you dont get any extra content but if you dont pay for the character slot, you lose on content?

Incorrect, I’m saying that in order for me to experience the new content equally with a new player, I will have to spend $10 extra, or delete something I’ve invested hundreds of hours and money on. A new player has access to all professions, and everything else in the game, I will only have access to “everything else in the game” if I pay the same price as that new player.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

The point is, I’m going to have to pay for an additional character slot that I could potentially not need if I do not enjoy the new profession. There is no way of knowing if I will have wasted that money other than to play it, at a higher cost to a person purchasing the game now. At release, there were enough open slots that I had the opportunity to play all professions without having to pay an additional price. If I wanted to keep 1 of each profession, THEN I would have to pay, I was at least given the option to decide. Forcing me to delete characters I’ve invested hundreds of hours, and money on, is bad practice.

Have you exhausted all your options? The expansion (and the new profession) hasn’t even released yet. You have time NOW to farm gold or sell off some materials or beat down some bosses to get gems and a character slot. You KNEW the game was going to have a new profession but didn’t bother preparing for it? Weren’t you going to purchase some inventory bag slots for the character? Maybe a skin or two? Craft up some equipment for when you get it to 80? Nothing? Well, don’t fear…you can do it NOW.

Also, just because the expansion has a new profession doesn’t mean you instantly are missing out. You can just not play Revenant. I won’t be. Hell, I just want to play a Necromancer but Anet has yet to release a new race for me to roll one as. It was discouraging to find out no new races were going to be released, but I didn’t go accusing Anet of scamming me or being unethical for not including Tengu just because that’s what I want.

Sometimes you just have to roll with unfavorable circumstances and take that along with the good. Not everyone is going to get exactly what they want all the time.

Vicariuz.1605

Have you exhausted all your options? The expansion (and the new profession) hasn’t even released yet. You have time NOW to farm gold or sell off some materials or beat down some bosses to get gems and a character slot. You KNEW the game was going to have a new profession but didn’t bother preparing for it? Weren’t you going to purchase some inventory bag slots for the character? Maybe a skin or two? Craft up some equipment for when you get it to 80? Nothing? Well, don’t fear…you can do it NOW.

Also, just because the expansion has a new profession doesn’t mean you instantly are missing out. You can just not play Revenant. I won’t be. Hell, I just want to play a Necromancer but Anet has yet to release a new race for me to roll one as. It was discouraging to find out no new races were going to be released, but I didn’t go accusing Anet of scamming me or being unethical for not including Tengu just because that’s what I want.

Sometimes you just have to roll with unfavorable circumstances and take that along with the good. Not everyone is going to get exactly what they want all the time.

That’s a great straw man argument with one fatal flaw, the hours invested into grinding still have value, arguably more value than $10. And as a person who does not spend time in PvE, I would have to spend exponentially more time in PvP (as the rewards there are fractions of what PvE chest farmers make) to earn that gold required for the inflating gem prices. I am well prepared with 6 stacks of lvl up tomes and over 10k skill point tomes to instant 80 ANY new character I choose, don’t assume. It actually does mean that I am missing out, as the new profession is a reason I would be purchasing the product in the first place. Your other arguments or points or w/e they were supposed to be are just misdirection and I won’t entertain.

Getefix.9150

vica, skill scrolls will be replaced

Vicariuz.1605

vica, skill scrolls will be replaced

I’m well aware.

Getefix.9150

then you’ll know that your 10k scrolls will give different stuff on release? just checking

Getefix.9150

if they have more value than $10, whats the issue? just spend the money on a new slot seeing how its worth it

Vicariuz.1605

then you’ll know that your 10k scrolls will give different stuff on release? just checking

Yes, thanks for the concern.

if they have more value than $10, whats the issue? just spend the money on a new slot seeing how its worth it

Because I shouldn’t be required to spend the $10 – $25 extra with a chance I would not even need the character slot. It’s worth is subjective, it’s price is objective.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

That’s a great straw man argument with one fatal flaw, the hours invested into grinding still have value, arguably more value than $10.

I think you’re confused at what a strawman argument is. What I suggest are SOLUTIONS to your problem. And they are easy, viable and reasonable solutions. Your time is no more valuable than my time and that is why the whole gem>gold conversion exists, to generalize the value of time so you, the player, can invest what they believe is reasonable to obtain in-game things. You can obtain a Legendary right now and you can do so with time, cash or get out there and craft one yourself.

And as a person who does not spend time in PvE, I would have to spend exponentially more time in PvP (as the rewards there are fractions of what PvE chest farmers make) to earn that gold required for the inflating gem prices. I am well prepared with 6 stacks of lvl up tomes and over 10k skill point tomes to instant 80 ANY new character I choose, don’t assume. It actually does mean that I am missing out, as the new profession is a reason I would be purchasing the product in the first place. Your other arguments or points or w/e they were supposed to be are just misdirection and I won’t entertain.

So you PvP. That’s even less reason to hold onto characters existing in your current slots. Your reward tracks and achievements are account bound as is wardrobe and you can equip whatever amulets you want. So specific rewards aren’t as available for certain content, now you know how everyone else feels! It sucks that I can’t swap my PvE characters’ looks as often as I want because transmutation charges aren’t as available in PvE but they drop like rain in PvP! Welp, I can suck it up and aim for certain rewards or look for other options.

Curious that you accuse me of assuming. While I think the pricepoint of the expansion is too high, you gain no ground trying to project your particular situation on this subject to appeal for sympathy. Focus on why the price is too high, not what YOU miss out on and why YOU feel cheated or whatever.

FYI, I actually bought about 12 $10 accounts back when the game went on sale and still have about 4-5 more that aren’t activated. I use them as offerings to people I chat with online (I’m generous that way) and made a few friends like that. But with the way the offer stands, my extra accounts just plummeted in worth and will likely not function how I want them to anymore due to the expansion…I could go all up in arms about it, but frankly I KNEW it would happen eventually.

So you’ve heard about the expansion and the new profession…you didn’t think you MIGHT need a character slot for it? You didn’t bother thinking that far ahead?

Vicariuz.1605

That’s a great straw man argument with one fatal flaw, the hours invested into grinding still have value, arguably more value than $10.

I think you’re confused at what a strawman argument is. What I suggest are SOLUTIONS to your problem. And they are easy, viable and reasonable solutions. Your time is no more valuable than my time and that is why the whole gem>gold conversion exists, to generalize the value of time so you, the player, can invest what they believe is reasonable to obtain in-game things. You can obtain a Legendary right now and you can do so with time, cash or get out there and craft one yourself.

And as a person who does not spend time in PvE, I would have to spend exponentially more time in PvP (as the rewards there are fractions of what PvE chest farmers make) to earn that gold required for the inflating gem prices. I am well prepared with 6 stacks of lvl up tomes and over 10k skill point tomes to instant 80 ANY new character I choose, don’t assume. It actually does mean that I am missing out, as the new profession is a reason I would be purchasing the product in the first place. Your other arguments or points or w/e they were supposed to be are just misdirection and I won’t entertain.

So you PvP. That’s even less reason to hold onto characters existing in your current slots. Your reward tracks and achievements are account bound as is wardrobe and you can equip whatever amulets you want. So specific rewards aren’t as available for certain content, now you know how everyone else feels! It sucks that I can’t swap my PvE characters’ looks as often as I want because transmutation charges aren’t as available in PvE but they drop like rain in PvP! Welp, I can suck it up and aim for certain rewards or look for other options.

Curious that you accuse me of assuming. While I think the pricepoint of the expansion is too high, you gain no ground trying to project your particular situation on this subject to appeal for sympathy. Focus on why the price is too high, not what YOU miss out on and why YOU feel cheated or whatever.

FYI, I actually bought about 12 $10 accounts back when the game went on sale and still have about 4-5 more that aren’t activated. I use them as offerings to people I chat with online (I’m generous that way) and made a few friends like that. But with the way the offer stands, my extra accounts just plummeted in worth and will likely not function how I want them to anymore due to the expansion…I could go all up in arms about it, but frankly I KNEW it would happen eventually.

So you’ve heard about the expansion and the new profession…you didn’t think you MIGHT need a character slot for it? You didn’t bother thinking that far ahead?

It is infact a Straw man, I can’t purchase GW2:HoT with gold. I never said anything about any one’s time being more valuable.

Regarding your statement about not holding characters for PvP, you couldn’t be farther from the truth, after over 10k matches I’ve learned, it’s VERY important to be able to switch to a different class in the time before the match starts to better suit your comp. I’d argue it’s even more important to have multiple builds held on multiples of the same class because there is no template in this game to save and quickly switch builds, but all of that is besides the point. I’m not looking for sympathy, I’m voicing why I have an issue with pricing of the of expansion and the content those prices provide. Just because you don’t have this same issue doesn’t mean that I should just take the loss.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

No, and I shouldn’t have to. The way you are describing the game experience, you’re turning it into a job.

Getting HoT should first and foremost be fun. I should not have to prepare in order to enjoy one of the main focus points of the game. Adding a character slot was a minor thing to do, which would have spared a lot of anger. It’s also something which doesn’t hurt anyone.

So please, get of your high horse. If you want to work hours on end to earn the possibility of playing the new profession, go for it. Do whatever floats your boat.
I on the other hand would like to enjoy my game without having to plan ahead or work for it.

Not adding a character slot is nothing more than a money grab and it should not be defended. It only deprives people of enjoyment and serves no greater good.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Here is what we got :
- Veteran players spend 50$ in the core game and obtain : core game + 5 char slot
- New players enjoyed a great discount and spend 10$ for the same thing as Veteran player : core game + 5 char slot (no problem here since it was exceptional discounts)

And, here what happen now :
- To play HoT, you gotta pay 50$, the core game is gift with the purchase.

So :
- From a veteran point of view either the game you played since a long time have now no value or you’ve already lost 50$ for 5 char slot that you’ll have to respend. (since each character slot have a 10$ value)

- From a new player point of view, you wonder if this 10$ you spent have any value at all since with a bit of patience you’d have core game and Hot at the same time instead of just core game.

- From a futur player point of view, everything is good, they don’t have to worry about having or not base game.

So, here is the issue, Does core game lost all value the moment they allow prepurchase of the xpac? and Is this fair to make people pay the same for an extension with 5 gifted char slot while veteran (I’d even say : “loyal customers”) don’t gain anything?

Personal opinion : It hurt me to see that the game I’ve played for 3 year have now no value at all and it hurt even more that as a veteran there is even a drawback to the fact that I was a loyal customer for 3 years.
I’d be ok if every new copy of GW2 were sold with the core game if, at least, there was a fair option for people that already own an old copy of the core game.
As of now, It just feel like Anet only want new player and don’t care the slightest for the community that support them the last 3 years.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.