Adventures for collections - Rubbish.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

These adventures are just the worst addition ever. Normally I would never touch them, but I have to get Silver in many of them to complete weapon collections. I have all the other items I need except these.

Sanctum Scramble in particular is absolute torture with a large ping like we have in OCX and makes this immensely frustrating. I have died over 200 times trying to complete it. Probably have attempted it 300 times at least. I’ve only gotten to the end once. Most of the time, the skills just bug out.

Adventures tied to Weapon collections are a mistake.

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

Welcome to play the game “your” way LMAO

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Even if you really liked jumping puzzles and even if you have good reflexes, you still need to do it many times to learn the sequence that is needed to get a decent time. If its not something you enjoy, well, you are screwed.

I cannot really think of anything less fun in any game than a timed jumping puzzle. It’s just torture.

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

It’s almost..like they are sabotaging their own game…oh well back to fallout 4 for me f this

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

That only ever applied to required vertical progression, leveling specifically. You’ve never been able to play however you wanted to acquire the extras.

There’s nothing you can do against latency, but adventures are a simple skill check. If the average player can’t handle silver, they’ll nerf it. For everyone else, find someone you trust and get carried.

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

That only ever applied to required vertical progression, leveling specifically. You’ve never been able to play however you wanted to acquire the extras.

There’s nothing you can do against latency, but adventures are a simple skill check. If the average player can’t handle silver, they’ll nerf it. For everyone else, find someone you trust and get carried.

That’s a heck of a business model.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

If you dont like it play wow where it take 2 years to level up instead of 2 minutes

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

WoW has insta-level, and their what? Seventh expac next year.

My loyalties are absolute to GW2, but let’s not belittle the competition which grows more and more appealing with each week.

Also, I have more of a chance of growing a 3rd arm than Anet pumping out 7 expacs.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

Same. I put my opinion here.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/ANET-Forced-adventures/page/4#post5852582

These adventures in a fight/exploration based game, was the stupidest idea I’ve ever seen.

At some point someone mistook exploration(that is a strong point in gw2) with donkey kong game style. These are 2 complete different things.

In “good old times” i hated mario bros, donkey kong and “jumping” based games.
I started playing video-games when appeared Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat like games. I always thought that people who spend hours jumping is ppl dumb enough to not get bored with repetitive content that was just randomized. … Super Metroid is sample of legit exploration despite excessive jumping.

In Pc era, i come to RTS and fight games, then appeared MMO’s, They are doing a combination of exploration and struggle.

Then someone had the idea to clone the Donkey Kong in HOT, I’m surprised it has not yet bananas as Jungle currency.

and still call this “adventure.” Jump out there makes you a ballerina, a dancer, or a cover of Michael Jackson not a “adventurer”.

I’m paying a friend to come here at home and make the stupid mini-game for me, so take my dark Harvest.

Even make my full ascedend gear, in 30 days, grinding 4hrs per day, not appear torturous as this mini-game, if they put it for 1000 gold I would prefer the farm/grindd than submit to this humiliation.

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

If you dont like it play wow where it take 2 years to level up instead of 2 minutes

LOL, another player who clearly has no idea about something but offers a view anyway .. 1-100 is doable easily in a week if you want to power-level it, without breaking sweat or using a ‘booster’, more ‘smell the roses’ players will take 2-3 weeks.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

LOL, another player who clearly has no idea about something but offers a view anyway .. 1-100 is doable easily in a week if you want to power-level it, without breaking sweat or using a ‘booster’, more ‘smell the roses’ players will take 2-3 weeks.

Whatever the point is i prefer this over farming mobs all day.

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

What the hell has that got to do with anything? It has nothing to do with this game.

The skill delay due to latency is making this adventure impossible to do.

Posted by: Unknown.3976

Unknown.3976

I feel ya, OP. Sanctum Scramble is probably the most unfun adventure of the lot. Very stressful adventure with Crappy controls, very tight timer and Frustrating platforming design.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I like them. Yes, I’m serious.

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

I did that one last night could barely even finish it and even then bronze
way to long imo

Posted by: foxcat.4096

foxcat.4096

My dislike of gating things behind adventures is pretty well documented and the thing is some of the adventures i didn’t mind playing . If you removed the mastery points and collections from adventures then i could just do the adventures that i didn’t mind when i was in the mood for something like that and my views on adventures would be much much more positive.

However when i am forced to do something like sanctum scramble it just sours me on the hole thing . Its not like there is any parity between the collections either i got Yggdrasil easily as the adventure that was required isn’t complete bullkitten . In comparison i watch every video on youtube of sanctum scramble never minding that i can’t do half the things in these videos as my latency from a non American /EU country makes it hard enough to even complete bronze.

My opinion is if they insist on keeping an adventure part of the collections make it so you only have to discover the certain adventure when it is unlocked to get that part of the collection. For example sanctum scramble you would have to complete the AB meta event to get access to the adventure then click on it when its unlocked boom done. This way between all the collections there wouldn’t be any ridiculous jumps in difficulty.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Not sure if sarcastic or not … this is an MMO. It’s not all that unreasonable to ask someone better or more knowledgeable than you to help you out.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I’m in the Oceanic region. I did Sanctum Scramble and got gold. It’s actually one of the easier adventures. But if you don’t like jumping puzzles, that’s understandable.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

In general though, that’s generally what happens in most games. Some games are just too hard for some people and they get people to help them. The problem with adventures, unlike jumping puzzles or dungeons is that no one can carry you.

I mean people sell dungeon paths in this game. We carry guildies who aren’t as capable through most content, but we can’t do that with adventures.

Living in Australia almost guarantees I won’t get gold on some adventures.

Posted by: Supernaut.2684

Supernaut.2684

+1

When HoT first came out, I was very excited to complete the new weapon collections. That is, until I looked at the requirements. Please, give us tough quests, make us run all over the world, make us fight giant battles, whatever. Just, please, no kitteny timed platforming content.

And so, my excitement got subjected to a massive buzzkill. As implemented, I don’t plan to ever complete a weapon collection. Not one.

Posted by: Alone.1784

Alone.1784

I played for the first time after flax farming after a month as that was all I could stand. My experience bars are almost full and needed more mastery points so was looking to do some adventures. Get one attempt into the gliding one and “it’s too dangerous to do this at night come back later”.

So these things we were told would be optional really aren’t for a large amount of stuff, are heavily influenced by server side interactions which ping destroys, and are only available at certain times.

Super fun design, bravo. New motto should be play our way, on our schedule, and force down whatever lack luster rewards we decide to throw at you for your effort.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

+1

When HoT first came out, I was very excited to complete the new weapon collections. That is, until I looked at the requirements. Please, give us tough quests, make us run all over the world, make us fight giant battles, whatever. Just, please, no kitteny timed platforming content.

And so, my excitement got subjected to a massive buzzkill. As implemented, I don’t plan to ever complete a weapon collection. Not one.

I’m not a fan of timed JP-like games, either. I prolly wouldn’t mind the mini-games so much if I could finish them all and get the rewards in my own time.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I don’t mind the minigames. I mind how poorly tuned a lot of them are, but the games themselves are fine. I get the feeling a lot of the QQ will go away once they are tuned better.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: AzureDream.4819

AzureDream.4819

Sanctum scramble is kind of fun by itself, but I didnt got even bronze timer, lol! And I thought I was good at jumping. Need to see some walkthrough.
Dont know how to get gold on advs like Bugs in the branches, or Tendril torchers. Silver is my highest for them.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Yeah, a lot studying and memorizing YouTube videos to see how it’s done. Even so, the best I can get (so far) on those two are silver as well. Haven’t even attempted the shoot gallery one yet.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Those youtube videos must be doctored in some way.

You do the same, completely different things happen.

For example, in shooting gallery, they shoot through leaves, barricades and other obstacles, when you do it, they block the bullets.

In their videos, the targets follow some easy parttern, when you do them, the targets appear completely randomly, and always so far from each other and in such angles that you have to run between them all the time, or you won’t be able to hit them because of the obstacles.

Adventures clearly haven’t been properly tested. The only way that would explain them being such poorly done and timers not matching at all reality is if they got some numbers from a few rushed tests, and decided to increase or round up the numbers, expecting players to make them faster than their testers could, without even considering it may not be possible to do them faster.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

I like them. Yes, I’m serious.

This. It’s a shame that they are rough on people with latency but so are raids and I think they are some of the best content ever put in this game. There could also be some things that would improve them (Instancing) but overall they are a welcome distraction.

There are other ways to get ascended gear so this isn’t forced on you at all. It’s entirely optional.

And honestly this adventure isn’t that hard. I watched someone get gold and they still made quite a number of mistakes that probably cost them anywhere from 5-10 seconds of time. Getting silver even with latency shouldn’t be a huge issue.

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

What are you talking about, Anet clearly stated a couple years back that jumping puzzles were never intended to be required and that they would never make them required. I am sure the same is true for the Adventures. It would be insanity to gate content through types of gameplay that a significant portion of your playerbase either can’t do because of physical or latency problems, or that they find incredibly frustrating. This would be completely counterproductive and would likely alienate a significant portion of your players. Who would do something like that?

Pandabro.8743

It would be insanity to gate content through types of gameplay that a significant portion of your playerbase either can’t do because of physical or latency problems, or that they find incredibly frustrating.

Uhh except it’s not required, it’s a collection. It’s not supposed to be easy… There are a LOT of collections that require you to do jumping puzzles (Just did parts of Mawdrey that requires you do multiple jumping puzzles and mini dungeons).

Tspatula.9086

It would be insanity to gate content through types of gameplay that a significant portion of your playerbase either can’t do because of physical or latency problems, or that they find incredibly frustrating.

Uhh except it’s not required, it’s a collection. It’s not supposed to be easy… There are a LOT of collections that require you to do jumping puzzles (Just did parts of Mawdrey that requires you do multiple jumping puzzles and mini dungeons).

Uhh.. except it’s content. Everything in the game is CONTENT that we PAID for. There is nothing in the game that you “are required to do”, you can make a toon and just stand around in the first map. Last I looked, GW2 was an MMO right? “Not easy” and “Undoable” are not the same thing. The adventures are garbage content thrown at us because making REAL MMO content is harder than Mario Bros. It has nothing to do with the difficulty of attaining a collection.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

What are you talking about, Anet clearly stated a couple years back that jumping puzzles were never intended to be required and that they would never make them required. I am sure the same is true for the Adventures. It would be insanity to gate content through types of gameplay that a significant portion of your playerbase either can’t do because of physical or latency problems, or that they find incredibly frustrating. This would be completely counterproductive and would likely alienate a significant portion of your players. Who would do something like that?

Can you find the source of that statement where they said they wouldn’t make them required? They could have meant required for vertical progression or the progression of the story. Collections give skins which would be horizontal progression. Without the context of the statement that they would not be required, none of us can say what they meant by that sentence.

If the only thing unique about the item achieved from the collection that requires the adventures, then it’s probably not something that would have any issues gating behind hard and/or frustrating content. Because you can get the same stats from an easier, less frustrating means. Just like legendary weapons.

Heck, to get one of the items for the precursor Storm, I had to do a jumping puzzle. But Storm is an exotic. It has the same stats as other exotics. The legendary it goes to has the same stats as ascended scepters.

tl;dr: If it’s a skin with special effects or a neat appearance, it’s just fine to gate it behind hard and/or frustrating content.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I went to play a rpg… and a platformer broke out! What the hell????

Anet needs to go back to the beginning philosophy of gw2 that made platforming available but always as a sideshow attraction.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Working on my legend stuck behind the adventure wall for mastery points. I’’m not a fan at all, grabbing silver and never doing them again.

JQ Druid

Posted by: Vekaiel.8493

Vekaiel.8493

I play with 700+ms constant latency and I got silver with 5 seconds to spare so it is possible. The trick is just to know on which jump you can save time then improve your own route.

Of course everything would be easier if the glider deployment was client side and we don’t have to wait for server validation before that thing opens…

Pandabro.8743

Uhh.. except it’s content. Everything in the game is CONTENT that we PAID for. There is nothing in the game that you “are required to do”, you can make a toon and just stand around in the first map. Last I looked, GW2 was an MMO right? “Not easy” and “Undoable” are not the same thing. The adventures are garbage content thrown at us because making REAL MMO content is harder than Mario Bros. It has nothing to do with the difficulty of attaining a collection.

There are few games that just give you all the content upfront just because you paid for it. Those that do are generally not much fun.

Adventures are garbage is an opinion. One that I disagree with but you are welcome to. I also think dungeons are garbage content but I’m sure tons of people disagree with that too.

You are welcome to your opinion about but trying to make out that you deserve this item that you cannot obtain because of extraneous circumstances just because you paid for the expansion is unreasonable.

Tspatula.9086

There are few games that just give you all the content upfront just because you paid for it. Those that do are generally not much fun.

Adventures are garbage is an opinion. One that I disagree with but you are welcome to. I also think dungeons are garbage content but I’m sure tons of people disagree with that too.

You are welcome to your opinion about but trying to make out that you deserve this item that you cannot obtain because of extraneous circumstances just because you paid for the expansion is unreasonable.

That’s fair, but bear in mind we aren’t talking about 3% of the playerbase here, it’s more like 30% and A LOT of people accomplish JPs via a mesmer friend. No mesmer is going to be able to get you through an adventure. And I am in no way saying that doing these collections should be made somehow easier. I just think there should be a non-JP, non-Adventure substitute for any collections that have them. That would be fair and not shut out a lot of people. Even though I would love to have the Wintersday shoulders I am not even going to bother, last year I spent a significant amount of time (>3 hours) trying to do the WD JP, I never got close, I finally had to admit that no matter how much time I spent trying to do, I would not achieve it. So, I won’t be able to get a skin that requires doing it 3 times… I can’t even get it done once. Based on your comments, I am assuming you have no problems getting things like the WD JP done, good for you.

Posted by: Buford.2954

Buford.2954

Not sure if sarcastic or not … this is an MMO. It’s not all that unreasonable to ask someone better or more knowledgeable than you to help you out.

For pretty much any other content in the game, yeah it’s a MMO. You can get ported in JPs, you can party up for story achieves, hero points, etc. Adventures are single player only. The only way to get them done (i.e. carried) if you can’t manage it yourself due to high ping time or lack of platformer twitch skill is to have someone else who can log in as you. Read that again. You have to share your account info. MMO or not, that is unacceptable.

(edited by Buford.2954)

Posted by: Azathoth.2098

Azathoth.2098

These adventures are just the worst addition ever.

I 100% agree with you!

Posted by: Land of Cheese.2584

Land of Cheese.2584

I think you missed what was being said. Mitch meant “find someone you trust” and give them your account information so they can do the adventure on your behalf. There is no other way to “help” someone in an adventure as they are solo activities.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The skill delay due to latency is making this adventure impossible to do.

I’ve never completed the thing and I have excellent ping. I’m really glad I don’t give a kitten about collections.

Posted by: Nsknick.3816

Nsknick.3816

It really isn’t that hard. Maybe…it’s just not your thing? Arenanet, please don’t change anything about adventures.

Gw2myth.enjin.com
Founder of Mythological [Myth]
Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

It really isn’t that hard. Maybe…it’s just not your thing? Arenanet, please don’t change anything about adventures.

OP isn’t asking for ANet to change the adventures. He’s asking ANet to not put unique items behind adventures.

I don’t agree with the OP, but the OP didn’t express any desire to change adventures. So your comment doesn’t make any sense for this thread.

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

I’m not sure if you’ve ever read the EULA, but I think you should. Adventures are individual achievements, NO ONE can do them for you or help you with them, unless they log into your account. Which is prohibited under section 9b of the EULA. And could get you banned.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m not sure if you’ve ever read the EULA, but I think you should. Adventures are individual achievements, NO ONE can do them for you or help you with them, unless they log into your account. Which is prohibited under section 9b of the EULA. And could get you banned.

Interesting, considering they have no way of knowing if I’m playing my account, or if my sister is playing it, or my niece, or a friend, etc.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Interesting, considering they have no way of knowing if I’m playing my account, or if my sister is playing it, or my niece, or a friend, etc.

They are probably just trusting that you were not lying when you promised to abide by their terms. Not much else they can do really.

Posted by: Cyrotek.7019

Cyrotek.7019

I feel ya, OP. Sanctum Scramble is probably the most unfun adventure of the lot. Very stressful adventure with Crappy controls, very tight timer and Frustrating platforming design.

I liked it more than a lot of the other ones. But Iam actually a fan of jumping puzzles, so my opinion does not really count here, I suppose.

Maybe I should sell Jumping Puzzle completions.

(Joke, please no ban Anet. :<)

(edited by Cyrotek.7019)

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

For Sanctum Scramble I suggest enabling “lock ground target to maximum range” in settings, then google a gold video it will show you that you can use the dragon leap skill on the roof (locked ground targetting will help here so you don’t select an out of range piece of roof). This gets you an immense verticle height which you can then glide and use the dragon zoom ability to fly huge distances and skip much of the course.

Posted by: River.1475

River.1475

Sanctum Scramble is hard. The main reason is that the all 3 related skills for this game (,which is obviously not a jumping puzzle anymore), require the low ping rate to work as intended. We cannot use our normal running and jumping movement. Have they tested this game when the ping rate is over 300?

It is alright to put unique items behind adventures, but just makes it fair on all different specialization related weapons. The requirements for the others are obviously
much easier to be done.

(edited by River.1475)

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I’ve never met anyone in person that plays GW2 (other than my wife, who I bought a copy for.) They can’t tell if someone in your house is playing on your copy, but they can tell if your friend in another location who also plays GW2 is playing on your log-in. I suspect doing that will raise some flags, and we’ve seen instances where both accounts get banned.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

WTB a dev to log in to my account, do all the adventures on gold (without cheating) and let me know when it’s done.

Then auto credit all tyria masteries that require doing jump puzzles or mainly jumping or dodging some random rubbish in a mission I’ve already completed.

Then wish me a merry Xmas. Thanks Santa!

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.