Adventuring Forth

Adventuring Forth

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/adventuring-forth/

The example reminds me of the Heart quests that i liked the LEAST in the open world. The ones that don’t actually use your character’s skill set, build or weapons but instead give you a gimmick for a mini-game experience.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The example reminds me of the Heart quests that i liked the LEAST in the open world. The ones that don’t actually use your character’s skill set, build or weapons but instead give you a gimmick for a mini-game experience.

In order to actually have a useful leaderboard stuff must be exactly equal across the board though. Otherwise a leaderboard would be completely pointless since certain classes would have advantages and so on.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I hope they set up the leaderboards like the ones for FotM. They did a great job on those!

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

In order to actually have a useful leaderboard stuff must be exactly equal across the board though. Otherwise a leaderboard would be completely pointless since certain classes would have advantages and so on.

That doesn’t change the fact that op, myself, and I’m sure many others hate quests where we are given bundles.

Aside from that their goal should be to make the classes more balanced. Sure there will always be a top dog but making the disparity between classes strength not as large will help ensuring the leaderboards aren’t filled with only one class.

Op. I see your concern and thought the same thing when I saw this post. But that is just one example. Hopefully there will be others that don’t require bundles.

(edited by jweez.7214)

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: drkmgic.9583

drkmgic.9583

im hopeful this turns out well because im not a big fan of these mini games. i loved the fractals and its iteration with its leader board. i was hoping adventures would be something more like that also am i the only one worried when he mentioned intances to avoid randomness. uhh.. i want to play in an open world god dangit. not in my own little world.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

That doesn’t change the fact that op, myself, and I’m sure many others hate quests where we are given bundles.

Aside from that their goal should be to make the classes more balanced. Sure there will always be a too dog but making the disparity between classes strength not as large will help ensuring the leaderboards aren’t filled with only one class.

Oh, I agree. I am just pointing out that having things with leaderboards where profession mechanics can effect the outcome is more or less pointless.

Of course classes should be more balanced, but unless they all have equal access to everything (and thus more or less removing the whole point in having different classes in the first place) there will always be classes that will automatically be better at certain things when they have access to their own skills and so on. Especially in situations where those skills can actually effect the outcome of the content.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Well you don’t have to play it, and hopefully there will be some variety to them.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Aside from that their goal should be to make the classes more balanced. Sure there will always be a too dog but making the disparity between classes strength not as large will help ensuring the leaderboards aren’t filled with only one class.

Op. I see your concern and thought the same thing when I saw this post. But that is just one example. Hopefully there will be others that don’t require bundles.

My complaint would be with the nature of the “Time Trials” style of challenges. They tend to use simple mechanics, and introduce wildly fluctuating difficulty spikes to try and catch the player off guard. On top of that, their main example is game of memory combined with an obstacle course…. so automatically there is going to be an optimal decision tree.

This reminds me of Red Faction Guerrilla and its Challenge modes. Pattern based puzzles I see as tedious, since its really just an observation game that rarely capitalizes on multiple angles of approach. But the physics based and systemic destruction puzzles were always fun, as they supported Trial and Error, incremental, and alternative approach to discovering better solutions. Sadly I can’t see a lot of options for this with the ridged interaction style of the game.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Leaderboards in pve really dont appeal to me, nor are they naturally something that fit. Overall the adventuring looks really well thought out and implemented though. Looking forward to them.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

The difference between hearts and adventures, is that hearts were like quest : You take it, you complete it once, you earn a reward and you never come back to it.

Adventures seens like some sort of mini-games troughout the world, with leaderboards that challenge you to do it better than the last time. And its fully optional to do, or not to do. If you like the adventure and feel like you want to test yoursefl more and more, there is where you’ll sepnd your time.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: Svarcanum.5028

Svarcanum.5028

I agree with the OP. I am scared that anet is wasting resources on creating lots of adventures with bundles or gimmicky minigame mechanics. The idea of adventures sounds great, but please use your awesome combat system and different classes’ skills. Don’t reinvent the wheel. I didn’t spend thousands of hours on my character’s looks, build and loadout only to be handed a boring bundle that makes it feel I’m playing something on my phone. When I relevel a character I avoid ALL bundle quests (hearts) because they suck all fun out of the game immediately..

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

So…if I understand right, this is all solo content. If so, I doubt I’ll be doing much of it. This also seems really awkward for a massively multiplayer game.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

I hope they set up the leaderboards like the ones for FotM. They did a great job on those!

I hope they reset all our scores on the adventures every hour!

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

So…if I understand right, this is all solo content. If so, I doubt I’ll be doing much of it. This also seems really awkward for a massively multiplayer game.

It’s solo minigame content, which isn’t actually bad to have in a MMO.

What’s bad is that it sounds like a lot of it will be hard to access, forcing you to do other things before playing the adventures, if that’s what you’re there for. Not everyone finds the same parts fun, and I really wish someone would tell ANet that not everyone wants to spend a lot of time preparing to have fun, they want to jump in and have fun.

Now, if adventures were easier to access? They’d be a great way to kill some time while waiting for something else, or taking a random shot at when you’re in the mood. Sealing them behind other things, however, may well be the death of them and reduce this all to wasted development time.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: Silverstone.4539

Silverstone.4539

Anet

building replay into the core of the activity

Anets words…
that could very well mean Grind and lots of repetitive play….

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Sweet blue rewards!

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

I agree with the OP. I am scared that anet is wasting resources on creating lots of adventures with bundles or gimmicky minigame mechanics. The idea of adventures sounds great, but please use your awesome combat system and different classes’ skills. Don’t reinvent the wheel. I didn’t spend thousands of hours on my character’s looks, build and loadout only to be handed a boring bundle that makes it feel I’m playing something on my phone. When I relevel a character I avoid ALL bundle quests (hearts) because they suck all fun out of the game immediately..

this right here.

Adventures sound awesome, but not using my own build, weapons, etc, doesn’t really encourage replaying something when it’s the same bundle and the same experience for every character.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: WalkinGoon.2408

WalkinGoon.2408

These “adventures,” from what I’ve played in the beta and have read since, seem boring, to be honest, and I hope nothing too important is gated behind a big grind composed of them.

I don’t really play MMO’s for solo experiences, as I find it much more fun to include others in my character’s “destiny,” or whatever marketing term they want to use for play. Different strokes for different folks, so it might satisfy some achievement hunters, but I’m sure even they’re holding out for word of new group content we’ve heard precious little of.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

Fractals are now adventures!
WE HAZ FRACTYL LEADERBURDS NAO

But in all seriousness, I’m glad we can finally challenge our friends to how fast we can finish annoying hearts.

But in all serious seriousness, leaderboards sound cool for some fun competition, bonus rewards sound cool for mastering, but the content sounds weak. We deserve better.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: AzureSky.3175

AzureSky.3175

To me this sounds like Yoga or Tennis in GTA V.
It’s funny that this is there, and it’s okay and more or less entertaining if you do it once, but replay-value? Nah, not really.
The problem is: I don’t start playing GTA V because I want to do Yoga. I want to speed through the cities, crash cars, make things explode and complete some thrilling missions.
And I don’t start playing GW2 because I want to do pointless time trials like killing vines with a flamethrower kit or shooting things in an obstacle course. I want to do MMO stuff, fight epic battles against well-designed bosses or hordes of mobs with my friends, new challenges that force me to master my profession, and some awesome hard-earned rewards from time to time.
I guess that’d be my definition of ‘Adventures’ in an MMO. And I hope Anet’s definition isn’t too different from mine, and that they just accidentally named some mini games ‘Adventures’.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

So will these be like the fractal leaderboards? and the fractal reward boxes?

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m reserving judgement on adventures, at least for the time being. This doesn’t necessarily “feel” like it’s going to be something I enjoy, but I’m sure there will be those that do and I won’t begrudge them something they find fun. I don’t mind mini-games after all. Still, I’ll give at least a few of them a try to see how they are and make a decision from there.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: thelightfantastic.3061

thelightfantastic.3061

I really hope this style of content gets put in the older zones too.

Adventuring Forth

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Unlikely.

Not impossible, but highly unlikely

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Those don’t sound like heart quests. They look more like the GW1 challenge missions in a way.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Unlikely.

Well Anet has stated that they prefer to spent time and effort on new content and not updating old content.

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: chemie banger.9624

chemie banger.9624

How will our ping affect it?
More fail?

Adventuring Forth

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Overall I like the idea of adventures but I also see imho a big flaw in the system that Anet promotes as something good.

“Additionally, we’ve been keen on reducing unpredictable randomness in our Adventures.”

Let me start by saying that you indeed need to be careful with randomness. For example, if you have to shoot dummies, the person with the highest score should not simply be the one who was so lucky that they all spawned right in frond of him.

However, that said.. They should have been keen on putting in a lot of unpredictable randomness (within the boundaries to prevent things like my example). That is what makes content more fun and repayable and that is also the only way challenge each others skill-level.

Why are MP much more repayable then single-player games? Because the enemy player (a human) has a higher level of unpredictable randomness then an NPC.

Without unpredictable randomness but pasterns, the adventure becomes a trick in stead of a channeling that has anything to do with skills. Once you know the pattern, you learned the trick.

You did not increase your skills, you got learned that one adventure.

This might be one big mistake as it reduces playability, while the leader-board of course help to increase that a little.

Adventuring Forth

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Unlikely.

Well Anet has stated that they prefer to spent time and effort on new content and not updating old content.

Which is why I said it’s unlikely.