Airship Salvage event in VB

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

The Ordnance Corps chain is barely done on maps that are not somewhat organized or highly populated, and this event is probably the main culprit. I’ve seen people, even commanders, playing through most of the chain and vanishing away at this point due how atrocious the event is. The whole chain is already annoying enough with the initial multi location events (which are usually done sequentially, taking too long, when the amount of players is very low, quite usual when the day cycle just started).

I’m not sure if tweaking the scaling would be enough (as I don’t know how random people teleporting to the zone affects it), but there are definitely some other changes that would help a lot.

• Make airship parts quest items which, like in many other events, we can collect and deliver in bulk. This alone would be a HUGE improvement. If not possible, make the spontaneously generated airship parts not global but player based (just like with the recent ley line events) or make them appear much faster, so we don’t find ourselves soloing nuhoch vets so often.
  • Fix the “bug” where Beigarth gets lost on his own thoughts and stops accepting airship parts for a while. It’s an incredibly annoying behaviour for an already incredibly annoying event.

Posted by: rotheche.2964

rotheche.2964

+1!

I hate that event, it’s just so slow.

Lilli Varss [OW]
Easily distracted mes—SQUIRREL!
GOM

Posted by: JaddynnStarr.5201

JaddynnStarr.5201

It scales terribly. with just 2-3 people, it does ok, any more then that and it takes about 40 per person to finish it off, and thats “IF” baigarth doesnt get dementia and wander around unresponsive for 10-15 seconds at a time.

Posted by: BlooDyliCious.5824

BlooDyliCious.5824

Honestly, the entire Ordnance corp chain takes too long. It took me multiple day and nights to even find the place where it starts. It should just be scaled down to a single player at all times.

The Noble outpost wasn’t done much either, but since that WP can be used pretty much always people have an easy way to get there. The Ordnance just sits in a corner that takes a while to get to, which combined with boring events make people forget about this chain entirely.

Maybe we need a WP in their starting cave?

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I wanted to go back and finish up the Outpost achievements recently and found it pretty much impossible to do.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

The problem with the event, bugs aside, is that the scaling is screwed up. The required quantity of scrap is tied to the number of players – which is fine in normal salvage events where the stuff to be collected is either plentiful, or acquired by tagging. But this event is wierd with that.

Instead, the collectible is a dropped package by the Veteran Frogs – and no matter how many people there are, there are only so many frogs spawned, and each one drops only a single collectible to be turned in. Worse, the frog’s health scales with the number of players, so no matter how many people are there, it takes the same amount of time to kill the same amount of frogs to get the same amount of parts… but the number of parts needed increases dramatically per player involved.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The problem with the event, bugs aside, is that the scaling is screwed up. The required quantity of scrap is tied to the number of players – which is fine in normal salvage events where the stuff to be collected is either plentiful, or acquired by tagging. But this event is wierd with that.

Instead, the collectible is a dropped package by the Veteran Frogs – and no matter how many people there are, there are only so many frogs spawned, and each one drops only a single collectible to be turned in. Worse, the frog’s health scales with the number of players, so no matter how many people are there, it takes the same amount of time to kill the same amount of frogs to get the same amount of parts… but the number of parts needed increases dramatically per player involved.

They are on the ground too.

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

I agree that the event is scaling poorly, but I don’t think it’s the reason why Ordnance Corps questline constantly lags behind. Most of the time (on non-organized maps), it does not even get to the point where you collect airship parts. The problem is that part of the map in general. Unlike every other meta questline, there’s no WP near the starting point (the cave), and getting there is relatively tricky, especially for newbies. Even I sometimes zone out and take a wrong turn, and I’ve done the questline many times.

So yeah, the parts collection quest needs tweaking, but it’s not why Ordnance isn’t done much.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve found the fastest way to that starting cave is to glide across from Faren’s wp, aim for the stairs and run up them. But then you’re at Faren’s where stuff is happening Also it isn’t at all an obvious route as others note.

Even so I think Ordnance mostly stalls out at the salvage event because it is just so tedious to look for little sparkles on the ground or whittle down nuhoch foes, glide or wp back to turn in, then go back up all while the collection bar barely moves. It is actively un-fun to complete.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The salvage parts event is definitely off. Not only is the scaling atrociously overtuned to the point where it requires every player to turn in a dozen or more parts once you get beyond a very small number of players, but the parts themselves are also an issue.

Only being able to pick up one at a time sucks as it means players have to run back and forth a dozen times, taking pretty much the exact same path each time. Which is tedious as all heck.

Also, the parts on the ground are really poorly shown. Almost every other quest item will show up with a name over it (when holding CTRL or just having the “show item names” option checked) and clear sparkles around it from pretty long distances. But for the items for this particular event chain, the names don’t show up at all on the screen unless you hover your cursor over them, to the point where many people don’t realize there are parts on the ground at all (I know I personally didn’t until I had run the event a few times and just happened to be moving my mouse around the screen).

And then there’s the fact that the items seem to be global, which means one player picking up a piece means no one else gets it. So the parts that do spawn on the ground, assuming multiple players know about them and are looking for them, disappear rather quickly. And don’t respawn very fast.

And then there’s the scaling bow wielding frogs, which don’t have any parts to drop for the event, but will hinder progress by sniping players unless you take more time to kill them off.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

They really need some better event creation tools. Why are we still running into this kind of scaling problems so long after release?

Posted by: Standen.3479

Standen.3479

To a lesser extent, the mushroom collecting event in the Nuhoch quest chain has the same issue but at least they drop multiple items each time. With 40+ people, the amount you need is ridiculous.

Sartharina pointed out the problem quite well. The scaling in both the enemies and the number of parts needed compounds so quickly that it gets ridiculous with a full squad. Anet should limit the scaling to one or the other rather than scaling both.

Khisanth.2948

To a lesser extent, the mushroom collecting event in the Nuhoch quest chain has the same issue but at least they drop multiple items each time. With 40+ people, the amount you need is ridiculous.

Sartharina pointed out the problem quite well. The scaling in both the enemies and the number of parts needed compounds so quickly that it gets ridiculous with a full squad. Anet should limit the scaling to one or the other rather than scaling both.

The problem with the mushroom event can also be lessen to an extent by pulling mobs closer to the NPC before killing.

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

I agree, it needs to be improved.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Well in addition to the OPs suggestions, it would be nice if the scaling of the event was better too. Even with it being only a couple people it still takes forever to finish that event (if you can before the day timer runs out).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Khisanth.2948

Well in addition to the OPs suggestions, it would be nice if the scaling of the event was better too. Even with it being only a couple people it still takes forever to finish that event (if you can before the day timer runs out).

because even with just two people the game starts spawning lv84 mobs …

Posted by: WhiteKnight.6759

WhiteKnight.6759

Yeah this event is pretty tragic. Not that I love the rest of that chain anyway, but that event felt like it went on way too long. It’s out of sync with the other events in that arc. It really needs to be looked at.

Posted by: Ceesa.1350

Ceesa.1350

Just want to +1 this. I did this event a few weeks ago with a group of about 15 people in squad and the event took, I’m not even joking, 20 minutes. It’s absolutely ridiculous and need to have its scaling fixed.

Remember when they changed the scaling on the shatterer pre to make it a flat 50 siege parts? How about doing that with this event too, changing it to a flat 15 parts or something? Surely that can’t take more than 10 minutes to code.