All maps so empty? Megaserver broken?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Has anyone noticed the maps are really empty right now? It almost feels like pre-megaserver. I know a lot of people are still gonan be starting out and exploring verdant brink but auric basin and tangled depths and dragons stand had almost no one in the map. Ive heard a lot of other people have this expereince as well. Whats going on? There has to be at least enough people in some of the later maps for there to be full maps, it makes no sense for there not to be.

Did arenanet change something or potentially accidently screw up the megaserver?

Posted by: MrH.2591

MrH.2591

I started the new content on my Revenant and saw less than 10 people in the space of an hour, it felt completely dead.

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Wow, was packed on EU. Weird.

Guess everyone’s grinding their elite specs first?

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Yeah. I was the whole day today. EU is dead. Barely anyone playing on new maps.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

MrH.2591

EU here and the first area was a ghost town, I thought it would be packed.

Jayne.9251

Everyone must be creating different races than you guys then Asura-land was busy.

Posted by: Lucky Shot.7650

Lucky Shot.7650

Glad to see I’m not the only one feeling lonely in HoM maps, so many group events with no people to clear them.

Posted by: IEatCabbage.1907

IEatCabbage.1907

some maps are packed with people while some maps are completely empty. I find that Auric basins and Dragons Stand are really empty is what I found

Posted by: Showbiz.9725

Showbiz.9725

Wouldn’t they all have to grind their elite specs in Heart of Maguima?

Posted by: ZXC.9703

ZXC.9703

I just log in now hoping that it would be more packed today but I am finding even less people in the new zone making it even more impossible to do anything. Holy crap I really hope this is some kind of bug or do people really hate the new stuff that much?

I don’t think you may not like something that could be the great next time I’ll cya!?

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

I played it for a few hours last night and enjoyed it (was around 3am and fairly empty), but i probably won’t do much on the new maps until halloween is over….which is why they should have delayed or extended the halloween festival.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Jayne.9251

Wouldn’t they all have to grind their elite specs in Heart of Maguima?

Yeah, from my end Asura newbie land was busy all the time I was on (EU prime onward — I made a rev). But 30+ of my regular WvW buddies were all in Maguuma grinding.

SkylightMoon.1980

This really needs to be brought to the attention of the devs because I think its very unhealth for the game and actually for the new maps. For the meta event in auric basin, tangled depths, and dragosn stand, you need a full map easily. Verdant brink I guess as well.

Basically all the maps designs are based around having a full map do them, you cant do these events with ten people.

Posted by: Tasao.4623

Tasao.4623

In this boat. Few Labyrinth groups because only about 7-10 people in a given map. No one to do events and challenges with in the jungle because not many people around there either. No clue where everyone is.

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Yeah, you need groups of people to do things in all those maps but it is so hard to find people. This is so weird considering it is the first weekend the expansion goes alive. I expect more!

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

Maybe it is so overloaded you get thrown into whatever serves as “overflow” servers currently. Try finding a group in the goupsearch tool.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

Was pretty empty for me, left a very bad taste after trying to find people to event with for 3 hours straight.

Posted by: Daniel.4763

Daniel.4763

I only spent a couple of hours on the first new map. Never saw anybody doing any of the events I ran across and I’m sure I wouldn’t be able to solo them. Hopefully just a megaserver issue, otherwise the new maps will be unplayable.

SkylightMoon.1980

I only spent a couple of hours on the first new map. Never saw anybody doing any of the events I ran across and I’m sure I wouldn’t be able to solo them. Hopefully just a megaserver issue, otherwise the new maps will be unplayable.

Agreed

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I’ve been, for the most part, soloing the event chains in the first zone. By the end, there’s maybe 5 people. The map has felt dead since the first day. Trying to do adventures has been a terrible experience.

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Agreed

Same problem pretty much all day.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I haven’t had any issues with empty maps, but it does feel like the numbers are a bit off. Maybe the server is capping out too soon and not putting enough people on the map. Or maybe they might want to consider raising the cap considering for a lot of these events you need a decent amount of people. A good example is the big Tarir city event with the 4 plant things you need to kill almost at the same time. Each group needs a good amount of people yet time and time again it seems like there’s only enough for only one or two of the plant things. Now this could simply be due to the fact that people haven’t gotten to the map yet, but I’m not sure….

Posted by: Daniel.4763

Daniel.4763

I don’t even know what the adventures are for except that they are somehow mysteriously related to mastery points.

MrH.2591

This really needs to be brought to the attention of the devs because I think its very unhealth for the game and actually for the new maps. For the meta event in auric basin, tangled depths, and dragosn stand, you need a full map easily. Verdant brink I guess as well.

Basically all the maps designs are based around having a full map do them, you cant do these events with ten people.

And this is the exact reason I didn’t enjoy myself while doing the new map, trying to do hard kitten events with 3 people isn’t fun.

MrH.2591

It seems we’re not alone (unlike in game, ho ho): http://www.reddit.com/r/guildwars2/comments/3q1z2c/_/

Can we get a response from a dev? This is a massive problem. I don’t play MMOs to feel completely alone.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

maps are not empty they are large and people probably dont know where to go or are exploring. whenever ive needed to group up for something all it took was putting a call out in map chat and usually there were some others keen to group for the same thing

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Raap.9065

Raap.9065

Maps are pretty dead in my experience. Doing the legendary mordrem wyvern with 10 people max seems the standard.

ArenaNet being cheap and setting map population caps too low, is my guess, since there are several map copies running.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

Only map I felt alone in was the 4th map. And I already know why since not many came there.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I have had the same experience, some, but very few people, very spread out. Based on Silverwastes I was worried this would happen, and it did. They either need to greatly increase the map caps, or make it easier to manually pick the map you want, rather than being randomly assigned one or having to join in on people.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

On the other hand, there are tons of people in Orr. I ran my Revenant there to get the waypoints and the level 80 aquabreather and there were large zergs killing champs and doing events. I couldn’t even tag mobs in the events, there were so many people there. One guy joked in the middle of one zerg, “we got enough people here?” Another guy said, “no. We can still see the ground.”

People are playing there to get the Tyrian Masteries. Most people had about 5 or so. However I saw one guy with 21 Mastery points showing, then I saw another guy a bit later with 31.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

SkylightMoon.1980

It seems to just be the HoT maps.

MrH.2591

I’m hoping the devs will see fit to respond in the morning.

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Another day..maps still dead.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Maps ARE empty. Been unable to do anything all morning, every event just fails simply because there are not enough people. Events are to punishing for the very few people that were playing on the map. Same issue yesterday all afternoon and evening.

So now we have to deal with the same kitten as we had to with Tequatl. If you dont get on a good map you’re kitten out of luck and wasting your time because you’re going nowhere. Waypoints constantly contested, parts of the map locked off, and the events that do spawn are undoable because they assume a minimal contribution far greater than the 3 people that show up in total.

For kitten sake we’re in the launch weekend and content is already undoable due to lack of population… This does not bode well.

Posted by: Deadparrot.6920

Deadparrot.6920

Emty for 2 reasons imo : 1 Haloween 2 Roaming around Tyria to get HPs as gettng more than just a few in HOT is impossible. Either u lack Mastery or groups or they are imp to find/get. So me, Rev, I exploore the world and is bored and disappponted.

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

Emty for 2 reasons imo : 1 Haloween 2 Roaming around Tyria to get HPs as gettng more than just a few in HOT is impossible. Either u lack Mastery or groups or they are imp to find/get. So me, Rev, I exploore the world and is bored and disappponted.

The problem is that it is a vicous cycle : They play Tyria for Hero Points cause HoT maps feel dead, and thus make the maps even more Dead. Also 12 billion new revenants that level normally most likely.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Maybe they use the same character limit per map as the other zones, but due to the new zones size in addition to how mazey they are you just don’t see anyone.

Agree this is a problem, I keep running into events I can’t do because none else is nearby all the time, can’t imagine how bad this will be in a few weeks/months.

Posted by: MelGT.8326

MelGT.8326

I haven’t bought the expansion yet, but when rolling around in the core areas of the game and I am always running into other players wherever I go, whether it’s new revenants or people with world completion or anyone in between. I’m guessing it’s a combination of halloween stuff, Pact mastery being in the vanilla areas, people leveling new classes and an over-zealous overflow system implemented by ArenaNet just in case lots of people were trying to go jungle-ing.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

I think ArenaNet set the expansion maps preparing for a large flood of players… But the floor never came.

I’m really curious to see, some months from now, the NCSoft quarterly report showing the sales of HoT. I wonder if it sold a lot less than ArenaNet/NCSoft were expecting.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

I think ArenaNet set the expansion maps preparing for a large flood of players… But the floor never came.

Could be this tbh. HoT had smoothest launch in my life but I never actually saw a single full map.

Posted by: Pecar.1236

Pecar.1236

i love gw2 core game idea when you can play game and unlocking what you want. now we are force to stay in 1 maps because without milions of exp and mastery unlock you cant explore big amout of another map only solution is increase exp in hot zones or allow us leveling hot mastery in tyria maps because i want go dungeons/fractals/world boss/pvp and not only stay in 1-2 game zones

Posted by: Maderas.9741

Maderas.9741

It’s not just the Maguuma maps. I assumed it was because of Halloween and tried the Labyrinth, but it’s been deserted every time too.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I remember the thread after the first beta about how hard the area was. I was one of those saying that I wouldn’t want to be the solo player trying to get through this area and that most people were casuals, not looking for harder content. Those of us pointing this out were scolded by everyone praising the difficulty of the area.

Well the area is still to hard imo unless you get with a couple of other people.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Jarrix.8234

Jarrix.8234

I’m not sure the new maps or the labyrinth are on the megaserver technology. I play on Fort Aspenwood and am only seeing other FA guilds on the maps, no one from other servers.

Kayku
Envy – Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I’m really curious to see, some months from now, the NCSoft quarterly report showing the sales of HoT. I wonder if it sold a lot less than ArenaNet/NCSoft were expecting.

No, that much is just the usual conspiracy theory nonsense. The total population playing HoT content is not bad, it’s just an issue with each individual map capping and players off doing all sorts of things, leaving individual events well understaffed. I see no reason to believe that HoT’s sales were not substantial overall, it just doesn’t translate into a robust population at individual events because they designed the maps wrong.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: maloki.3527

maloki.3527

I think it’s just that the maps are so kittening huge!

Maloki – Asura Necro/Sylvari Ele –
@Farshiverpeaks
You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Ahh .. they will be happy to have 20-30 players left that really enjoy raiding .. at
least for 2 months .. who needs all those casuals that want to explore maps without
beeing killed by overpowered mobs all the time, when you try to do it alone.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Not sure what’s going on. Hope it is related to megaserver.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yeah I’ve noticed this and it seems very strange. It’s definitely harming the experience.

SkylightMoon.1980

I have we can get another answer on this its very important.