Amd cpu and hot

Amd cpu and hot

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: iErik.1469

iErik.1469

I have a 6300 cpu and 7850 graphics card. Is this good enough to run heart of thorns? I have read stuff in the past about gw2 not playing well with amd cpu’s.

Amd cpu and hot

Posted by: Apophis.2498

Apophis.2498

I am running the game on a Phenom II X4 Black Edition, and it runs fine. When ever I do PC builds I use AMD almost exclusively, but I may switch to Intel for the next one I do in a few months.

Amd cpu and hot

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

It runs fine on amd.

Amd cpu and hot

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

It should run okay, though you might need to turn the graphics settings down, a little or a lot, depending on the rest of your hardware.

But I have to say, with GW2, an Intel CPU does make a difference. I switched from an AMD to an Intel with fairly similar specs, and up the FPS went. And that’s with a graphics card that was even worse than the one I used with the AMD (sadly, the new mainboard and the old graphics card weren’t playing nice with each other…). Point being, you can run GW2 just fine on an AMD, but it will probably run better on an Intel.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Amd cpu and hot

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The game is more CPU bound and therefore faster cores, measured by single thread benchmarks, will give you better performance. Currently fastest desktop cores when measure by single thread performance are Intel, that’s all.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Amd cpu and hot

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

It’s a CPU bound game , fairly single-threaded. You’re gimping yourself with an AMD CPU.

The best CPUs to buy for this are Intel i5 unlocked CPUs, which you can overclock.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

Amd cpu and hot

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

The best way I’ve found to reduce the CPU strain is to use these settings…

Character quality and model limit set to medium.
Shadows set to low.
Reflections set to off.

Not much else seems to matter too much as far as CPU goes. I use these settings and I’m on an Intel 3770k at 4.5GHz.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Amd cpu and hot

Posted by: ols.4263

ols.4263

It should run okay, though you might need to turn the graphics settings down, a little or a lot, depending on the rest of your hardware.

But I have to say, with GW2, an Intel CPU does make a difference. I switched from an AMD to an Intel with fairly similar specs, and up the FPS went. And that’s with a graphics card that was even worse than the one I used with the AMD (sadly, the new mainboard and the old graphics card weren’t playing nice with each other…). Point being, you can run GW2 just fine on an AMD, but it will probably run better on an Intel.

Can be just difference due to PCI Express v2 versus v3 on your new intel MB.

Amd cpu and hot

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

I fussed with that thing for hours, and I still have no idea. Funny thing was, another series of the same model works just fine, according to the internet. Either way, I have a new one now anyway, and the old one got a new home in my brother’s computer, so everyone won :>

Shadows set to low.
Reflections set to off.

Not much else seems to matter too much as far as CPU goes. I use these settings and I’m on an Intel 3770k at 4.5GHz.

Those settings are awfully low for your CPU (and I’m assuming your graphics card isn’t too shabby, either). I run most stuff at high, except for reflections, with a Xeon @3.4GHz. Of course, if you run a million programs in the background, low settings do seem sensible…

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

(edited by Red Queen.7915)

Amd cpu and hot

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

I fussed with that thing for hours, and I still have no idea. Funny thing was, another series of the same model works just fine, according to the internet. Either way, I have a new one now anyway, and the old one got a new home in my brother’s computer, so everyone won :>

Shadows set to low.
Reflections set to off.

Those settings are awfully low for your CPU (and I’m assuming your graphics card isn’t too shabby, either). I run most stuff at high, except for reflections, with a Xeon @3.4GHz. Of course, if you run a million programs in the background, low settings do seem sensible…

I’m using two 7970’s in Crossfire for graphics. I don’t find shadows or reflections worth the FPS that they cost. And the character settings help a lot in crowded areas.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”