And this week it's Necro!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

I hope nothing like Mordremslayer because after Mordremoth it’s weird, and promotes one dragon above the others. So whoever said Mordremslayer… NO! :P

It’s high concept. You’ll understand when you’re older.

How old do you need to grow to understand what “high concept” means?

That depends on how condescending you want to be towards the anti-DH name crowd.

There’s a fine line between poking fun and providing feedback and straight up insulting someone’s work and intelligence.

Jon Peters should probably keep that in mind when insulting the intelligence of the playerbase by implying that they don’t get the nuance, high concept dragonhunter name.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I hope nothing like Mordremslayer because after Mordremoth it’s weird, and promotes one dragon above the others. So whoever said Mordremslayer… NO! :P

I have plenty of understanding. Technically, Mordremslayer would be high concept. :P let’s not get all hostile defensive over Anet. It’s pathetic. I’m just poking fun.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

It’s high concept. You’ll understand when you’re high.

Fixed.

ronpierce.2760

It’s high concept. You’ll understand when you’re high.

Fixed.

Whatever helps!

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Name: Mordremwiper or Poisonspiterdragonkiller

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Well if it’s gonna be a PoI, prepare for the most lackluster preview, with no trait reveal.
Cause thanks ruby

Also.

We have a dragonhunter.
Now we get the Dragon Slayer

I kinda want another host that isn’t Ruby, she’s monotone, enthusiastic and dry. But yeah, “Chronomancer! Whoo! Dragonhunter! Yeah! Necro…..meh, lets go for a ten minute troll stream!”

I <3 Ruby. She’s friendly, keeps the conversation going without awkward pauses, and I would never characterize her as monotone just because she doesn’t do crowd-revving calls to action. That’s not her role. She’s there to guide the guests along, to monitor chat questions for things to pass on to the guests, and to help the guests speak more naturally even if they aren’t comfortable with the camera. She also has to be alert to any possible leaks of info that isn’t cleared for release. But in all that her love of the game and of the people she works with comes through loud and clear. She’s doing a fine job.

I don’t like Rubi for the elite spec previews. She talks over the guests and for the regular POIs her fangirling is fine…but for trait reveals it sucks. I hated her on the mesmer reveal because she kept interrupting, talking over and the mesmer reveal barely got any information because of it. Can we keep the trait reveals on the Ready Up stream? The information we got in the guardian steam was so much better and more professionally presented.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

alright… now that looks kittening creepy… thats gonna be interresting…

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Yea guys, we should stop being so childish. Constructive discussion, I say.

Jk. Colinmancer.

Credits to u/cybersin

Attachments:

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

ronpierce.2760

Jk. Colinmancer.

Credits to u/cybersin

Uh. No offense but that is literally terrifying.

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Well if it’s gonna be a PoI, prepare for the most lackluster preview, with no trait reveal.
Cause thanks ruby

Also.

We have a dragonhunter.
Now we get the Dragon Slayer

I kinda want another host that isn’t Ruby, she’s monotone, enthusiastic and dry. But yeah, “Chronomancer! Whoo! Dragonhunter! Yeah! Necro…..meh, lets go for a ten minute troll stream!”

I <3 Ruby. She’s friendly, keeps the conversation going without awkward pauses, and I would never characterize her as monotone just because she doesn’t do crowd-revving calls to action. That’s not her role. She’s there to guide the guests along, to monitor chat questions for things to pass on to the guests, and to help the guests speak more naturally even if they aren’t comfortable with the camera. She also has to be alert to any possible leaks of info that isn’t cleared for release. But in all that her love of the game and of the people she works with comes through loud and clear. She’s doing a fine job.

Yup, basically the same job they did on last weeks ready-up.

Except they were much more enthusiastic.
Much more engaging
Much more informative
A lot more fun

I get that some people love ruby, great.
But if your episode is about a class reveal
Whether you like the class or not, you need to be 100%

You need to be prepared to show the class off.

They did with the dragon hunter, I expect her POI’s from now on to be like that. Informative ( like as informative or better than the ready-up)
Fun
and Engaging.

She did none of that with the mesmer reveal.
Hopefully this week she redeems herself.

P.S.
With the mesmer, it looked like she didn’t want to be there, and if that was the case someone else that would have done the job should have done it.
If she wasn’t going to bring her A-game, then she should have said so, and passed it off to one of the devs in the office. End of Story.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

(edited by Solori.6025)

Posted by: MelGT.8326

MelGT.8326

It’s clearly the Marjorymancer. They’ve been setting it up for the whole of Season 2.

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

To all you folk saying “Greatswordmaster”, that’s far to easy to say. Its more likely going to be something much more awkward, like “Greatswordexpert”

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

man you guys are salty about that name thing.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

The Dragonpoker.

Because poke my dragon, babe.

You’d have thought that they’d have learnt from the famous Ranger Steve Irwin the foolhardiness of poking dangerous beasts with pointy things.

Attachments:

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Derigar.7810

Derigar.7810

“Emo”

Launching dark butterflies and torturing dragon’s minion with lady gaga songs.

I will cut you for this.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

BWAHAHAHAHAHA, oyster…i found that way funnier than I should have…

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Yes because all Elder Dragons need to be treated equally… because giant, murderous dragons have feelings too?

Really hope its called Warlock!

But what about girl necros! :P

Is anyone else completely and utterly fed up with all the hysteria and bitterness over the Dragonhunter’s name? I swear this feels like the Ascended announcement all over again, except this time there isn’t even any proper basis for it.

Get OVER yourselves already, please. This is a new week for a new spec. Can we try focusing on that for three consecutive seconds?

And here everyone is making jokes and having fun… and then you arrive.

There’s a fine line between poking fun and providing feedback and straight up insulting someone’s work and intelligence.

Jon Peters should probably keep that in mind when insulting the intelligence of the playerbase by implying that they don’t get the nuance, high concept dragonhunter name.

Remember earlier in this thread when we were making Dragon Hunter jokes? Those were good times.

Jk. Colinmancer.

Credits to u/cybersin

That’s the spirit!

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

That depends on how condescending you want to be towards the anti-DH name crowd.

He didn’t do that, but he would actually be right. You don’t get what high concept means. It’s an actual term. For example, the high concept of Jurassic Park is “dinosaur theme park”. The high concept of Harry Potter is “boy wizard in magical boarding school”.

What he explained was that Chronomancers’ name is a description of what they do. Dragonhunters’ one is more focused on who they are, what their motives are.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

Genesis.8572

He didn’t do that, but he would actually be right. You don’t get what high concept means.

It’s an actual term. The high concept of Jurassic Park is “dinosaur theme park”.

Ha! “Dragonhunter” is as ‘high concept’ of a term as “Duck Hunter.” Could it possibly refer to someone who hunts dragons? I don’t know. Maybe.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Plot twist,
It’s a thief with a greatsword, and their new mechanic is “Disguise”.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

RabbitUp.8294

Ha! “Dragonhunter” is as ‘high concept’ of a term as “Duck Hunter.” Could it possibly refer to someone who hunts dragons? I don’t know. Maybe.

And again you think “high concept” has something to do with quality, or brilliance.

I’m going to ask you to stop embarrassing yourself, because you are making a bad case for everyone who opposes the name. At least there are people among you that know how to make solid arguments and type well-constructed posts. Let them do the talking.

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Plot twist,

You keep getting those right, I would love such a mechanic btw.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Genesis.8572

And again you think “high concept” has something to do with quality, or brilliance.

No, I don’t. You’re just projecting your false sense of superiority.

I’m going to ask you to stop embarrassing yourself, because you are making a bad case for everyone who opposes the name. At least there are people among you that know how to make solid arguments and type well-constructed posts. Let them do the talking.

I have posted elsewhere in a larger post explaining my rationale for disliking the name. Who then do you think are making solid arguments and typing well-constructed posts? You’re certainly not among them. All you do is condescendingly naysay the naysayers.

Tarnished Coast

RabbitUp.8294

It’s pointless to argue with you. At best, you will weasel out by saying how it’s all some innocent joke.

Well, your numerous post about how silly names you come up with are “high concept” are neither humorous nor do they reveal your understanding of the term. You chose to take a neutral term and twist it into an offensive or condescending slur in your mind. And you are not willing to give up on that and actually try to understand just what the hell “high concept” means.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

“Emo”

OMG…the horror!

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

Am I the only one disappointed that the third specialization revealed isn’t one of the intermediary armours ?

ronpierce.2760

Am I the only one disappointed that the third specialization revealed isn’t one of the intermediary armours ?

Imdeed. Go Necro!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Wheatty.1892

Wheatty.1892

Gardener

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Five fingers?

ronpierce.2760

Five fingers?

A buff is a buff, man, I’ll take it!

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Five fingers?

A buff is a buff, man, I’ll take it!

Asura necros OP now.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Plot twist,

Not gonna lie, if I could disguise as an enemy player for “X” seconds to get in behind one and deliver a backstab or some other disguise related skill that’s be awesome.

It wouldn’t negate getting hit by enemy AOE or anything like that, and skills like sick em can reveal me to be an enemy, but I think it might be neat from a “follow their zerg” and launch crazy ambushes kind of way.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Five fingers?

It’s a hint on the name. They’ll be called “Five Finger Death Punch”

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

Meh,the dragonslayer joke posts are everywhere,this isn’t even funny anymore. You come to see some speculation about the class and all you get is people making fun of the name because of Dragonhunter.

RabbitUp.8294

Meh,the dragonslayer joke posts are everywhere,this isn’t even funny anymore. You come to see some speculation about the class and all you get is people making fun of the name because of Dragonhunter.

It’s as if people are immature.

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Green dragon hunter

Posted by: mage.3570

mage.3570

I vote for “Deathbringer”, as in using the dead to bring more death…

“Harbringer of Death” doesn’t too bad either.

Been there, done that. What’s next?

(edited by mage.3570)

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Is anyone else completely and utterly fed up with all the hysteria and bitterness over the Dragonhunter’s name? I swear this feels like the Ascended announcement all over again, except this time there isn’t even any proper basis for it.

Get OVER yourselves already, please. This is a new week for a new spec. Can we try focusing on that for three consecutive seconds?

No joke. Seriously it’s gotten ridiculous. Besides, while DH May have been uninspired, I believe chronomancer was far better. 50/50 record in any case.

(edited by Morfedel.4165)

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Hmm…

Zombie Yoda.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

Vampire Hunter! Duh.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Dragonslasher or Dragonslicer or Dragonswinger

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Dragonhaunter. As in “Haunter”, the pokémon.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

Ye know what? Let’s buck this sad, ridiculous, and completely unwanted trend and get some actual blasted speculation in here.

SO.

Between the Chronomancer and the Dragonhunter, ArenaNet’s made their position on modified profession mechanics fairly clear – anything an elite spec does still has to conform to existing traits. The Chronomancer’s F5 doesn’t interfere whatsoever with F1-4 traits, and the Dragonhunter’s updated Virtues were specifically designed to still function with their respective OG traits.

Given this, I think it’s fairly safe to say that the existing Death Shroud on Necromancers will be left mostly untouched. Each and every skill in DS has its own specific trait save for Tainted Shackles – heck, Life Blast has two. So they can’t really just dump the existing Death Shroud and replace it, or do weird stuff twisting the skills around. DS has to remain more or less intact given that at least a third of Necromancer traits are Shroud-specific, unless the Necromancer elite spec reveal is also when ArenaNet tells us they heard the incredibly lukewarm reception to the Necromancer’s overview in the Four Hour Super Show and have spent time completely rebuilding it. And…well, we all know the odds of that happening.

So the new spec won’t touch Death Shroud’s base functionality, and frankly tacking on an F2 alternate mode just feels very off. If we get F2-5 skills, I anticipate they’re going to be single-shot discrete skills rather than toggle modes a’la Death Shroud, and honestly I don’t much like the feel of that, either.

What we might get is alternative ways to use Life Force, almost like the Warrior’s Adrenaline. New passive mechanics which work with your life force totals, or alternatively passive things that happen while you’re in Shroud. What those are I do not know, but the Necromancer has always been the aggressive facetank-range member of the Scholar trio, and the greatsword will almost certainly require melee range.

I almost feel like the new spec could potentially make use of…I want to say Auras but the term is already being used for Elementalists. But if the Necromancer is given a passive field effect that tags anything within, say, 360 units of it while in Shroud – or out Shroud, or who knows – that might be something that’d both help their dismal AoE capabilities and also segue more naturally into Death Shroud as a mechanic. What those auras would do is beyond me, though. I’m still hung up on how awesome a screaming Banshee spec would be to really think about what the profession mechanics might be rather than the utilities.

Any other ideas? Or conjecture of any sort that does not involve making Dragonhunter jokes?

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

Dragonhaunter. As in “Haunter”, the pokémon.

This is the only satirical name suggestion that has made me laugh out loud. Congratulations!

Anyway, I’m really interested in seeing what the Necro elite spec is. I’ve held off on making a necromancer for a long time, but the thought of a greatsword-wielding master of death magic intrigues me. I’m curious if the actual elite spec will be enough to finally convince me to buy that extra character slot.

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

“Emo”

Since when was pop music emo? I thought emo was stuff like Fallout Boy or My Chemical Bromance or Good Charlotte’s Web or something…

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

Genesis.8572

It’s as if people are genuinely displeased and bitter about the name.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

People being “displeased and bitter” over a name really shows maturity.

Posted by: Mar.4839

Mar.4839

Auras would actually be pretty sweet. I know a “Banshee” is favored but honestly the idea of getting shouts just feels lame. THEN AGAIN Guardians got traps and usually I’m not a fan of those utilities either but the way they work and their flavor actually makes me happy with how they’re implemented.

Hoping ArenaNet can do the same for shouts with Necro because just pushing a button to buff feels….idk just seems too simplistic for the Necro.

On the topic of its Death Shroud and Life Force: Arena Net has teased us with using our life force in a different way right? We also know that we’re still going to have to be able to enter Death Shroud because of its existing traitlines and traits that affect Shroud.

So what if Elite Specced Necros get to use Life Force in a similar way Revenants have an Energy Bar? What if our utilities, whatever they are, can utilize Life Force to have an empowered effect vs a normal one? This would introduce having to balance between using Life Force for Shroud or using it to empower whatever utilities are introduced with the elite spec.

I don’t think Life Force being at specific thresholds will be the main function because Arena Net has stated they’d like us to use Life Force in a different way and also they’re trying to move all the professions away from “don’t use your abilities to get benefits” like how Phantasm Mesmers couldn’t shatter, or Warrior’s wouldn’t use their Adrenaline for certain builds even though they also acknowledged Necro should still have some passive gains. It seems they are trimming those kinds of abilities down a lot.

EDIT: Added link of Necro Trait Revamp others can see Death Shroud and its associated skills will most likely stay the same because of associated traits.

(edited by Mar.4839)

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

Fabulous. Be displeased and bitter over the name in the five hundred and eighty-nine other threads kvetching about the name. This isn’t one of them.

Auras would actually be pretty sweet. I know a “Banshee” is favored but honestly the idea of getting shouts just feels lame. THEN AGAIN Guardians got traps and usually I’m not a fan of those utilities either but the way they work and their flavor actually makes me happy with how they’re implemented.

Hoping ArenaNet can do the same for shouts with Necro because just pushing a button to buff feels….idk just seems too simplistic for the Necro.

On the topic of its Death Shroud and Life Force: Arena Net has teased us with using our life force in a different way right? We also know that we’re still going to have to be able to enter Death Shroud because of its existing traitlines and traits that affect Shroud.

So what if Elite Specced Necros get to use Life Force in a similar way Revenants have an Energy Bar? What if our utilities, whatever they are, can utilize Life Force to have an empowered effect vs a normal one? This would introduce having to balance between using Life Force for Shroud or using it to empower whatever utilities are introduced with the elite spec.

I don’t think Life Force being at specific thresholds will be the main function because Arena Net has stated they’d like us to use Life Force in a different way and also they’re trying to move all the professions away from “don’t use your abilities to get benefits” like how Phantasm Mesmers couldn’t shatter, or Warrior’s wouldn’t use their Adrenaline for certain builds even though they also acknowledged Necro should still have some passive gains. It seems they are trimming those kinds of abilities down a lot.

The issue with using life force to fuel utilities a’la the Rev’s energy bar – beyond further blending of the Rev and Necromancer, anyways – is that it then directly competes with Death Shroud and basically forces people to use one or the other. It’s an interesting idea and one favored by a lot of players – Death-powered weapon attacks, or Death-powered utils – but I’m not sure it wouldn’t cause more problems than it solves. PvP Necromancers have enough trouble building life force as it is, do we need to make their lives any harder?

Not that I PvP, mind, but from what I hear the PvP necromancer basically doesn’t get a profession mechanic. I don’t think we need to exacerbate that by giving them more things to spend the life force they don’t have on.

Also, pushing a button to screech madness and devastation at your enemies instead of ladling out a few boons a’la Warrs/Guards sounds much more appealing to me, and is what most of the Banshee folks are hoping for instead.

Genesis.8572

People being “displeased and bitter” over a name really shows maturity.

So does condescension.

Tarnished Coast