Another interview, Eurogamer this time

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-29-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-expansion-level-cap-gear-tier

This has some big statements, something has indeed been officially taken off the table unless Eurogamer misquoted.

Heart of Thorns will not raise the level-cap or add a new tier of gear, and thus, he had backed up his fighting talk with action. But that fighting talk made me wonder about the future, and whether Guild Wars 2 would ever cave in and conform? When I get game director Colin Johanson on the phone a couple of days after the reveal, I press him about it. And then he makes another statement worth remembering.

“Correct,” he answers. “We will never add more levels to the game, we will never add more tiers of gear to the game. The tiers and levels we have today will be the tiers and levels we have for the rest of the life of Guild Wars 2.”

Also, about revenant:

Johanson explains to me: “[Channelling a legend] actually changes out the entire back-half of your skillbar, so your heal skill, your utilities and your elite are all determined by the Legend you are currently channelling.” Apparently there are traits that “play off” these abilities and combo strongly.

They may have been mentioned elsewhere but seriously this deserved its own thread, just for the fact that a high level dev at ANet just used the word never, not anything indicating any sort of reservation or uncertainty… just flat never. In PR terms this is a bad move unless you are super confident.

Then again, MO also said in an interview that if he had announced level cap increase or new tier of gear (which as he so astutely pointed out is more or less the same thing) he could see the crowd storming the stage. But it is good to have it out there in this way too.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

So basically f1-5 which changes not olny your skillbar, but also everything else? Aka ele+engi combo lol sounds interesing but not sure how it work out. And why i mentioned f1-5 at this point? Cause we have 5 types of utility.

Crise.9401

So basically f1-5 which changes not olny your skillbar, but also everything else? Aka ele+engi combo lol sounds interesing but not sure how it work out. And why i mentioned f1-5 at this point? Cause we have 5 types of utility.

There is another and in my opinion more fun option, but part of me wonders if they worry about other professions getting green with envy and that is why they might go with f1-f5.

What am I thinking? Maybe legends could be acquired akin to Rangers pets (even if there is lot less of them, for obvious reasons) because that means there can easily be more than four or five and there is indefinite room for expansion in the future and it will also mean the legends and their acquisition can be linked to the lore more strongly which would be very fitting.

Also to go one more step towards crazy, there is always this question: Will it go as far as a legend will change an utility skill that will then change or replace your weapon skills? (ie. glyphs meets kits)

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

I personally see it as being similar to a Ranger and an Elementalist.

Ranger because their wording suggests you get to choose which legend you channel, similar to how rangers can choose which pets they use. Perhaps we can roam the world looking for graves, statues and books to gain more legends to summon.

Elementalist because of the whole “changing legends [attunement]”. Say you channel a healer legend, your heal and skills would have a new condition cleanse or boon addition, or using Mallyx (they stated he’d have controls of conditions) would add condition damage to your heal and utilities.

For example, you use a shout utility, the shout by default gives 3 stacks of might and some fury. If you channel Mallyx, the shout gives 3 stacks of might, some fury and bleeds your target each time you hit them for kittens. Or if you channel a healer, the shout gives the boons and clears conditions from you and your allies.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

psizone.8437

What am I thinking? Maybe legends could be acquired akin to Rangers pets (even if there is lot less of them, for obvious reasons)

Woops, I didn’t read your full post and it looks like we came to the same conclusion!

Crise.9401

I like the way you think, although it would likely mean no swapping legends mid combat or only limited to at most two. But it would also likely mean we get weapon swapping, which means on swap sigils will be useful.

Edit: :P ninja’ed sort of…

Scoobaniec.9561

That actually makes sense, yeah. But then again im worried. If we can “catch” for example 20 different legends like a pokemons, how many skills that class will offer in the end? Its a lot of skills tbh. Basically 10 skills per legend. And how many of them we will be able to use in combat?

In case of ranger we set up what pets (limited to 2 ofc) we want to use and they all have different f2, but nothing else at this point.

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

I have a strange feeling that Ventari’s inscriptions and insignias will become useful in the jungle PvE.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

psizone.8437

That actually makes sense, yeah. But then again im worried. If we can “catch” for example 20 different legends like a pokemons, how many skills that class will offer in the end? Its a lot of skills tbh. Basically 10 skills per legend. And how many of them we will be able to use in combat?

In case of ranger we set up what pets (limited to 2 ofc) we want to use and they all have different f2, but nothing else at this point.

In my example I suggested it would be additional effects added to standard utilities, rather than replacing the utilities as a whole. Otherwise, yeah, that could get complex.

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

“Changes out the entire back half of your skill bar”

It’s the opposite of elemental. Your weapon will still be the same, but your heal – elite will change.
How powerful that is will come down to how many you can channel. 1 – 2 legends, like ranger? Or 4 legends like ele. The latter still sounds kinda powerful, BUT your skill bar might still be on cool down if you switch.

Scoobaniec.9561

In my example I suggested it would be additional effects added to standard utilities, rather than replacing the utilities as a whole. Otherwise, yeah, that could get complex.

This or another way its getting complex anyway. And i dont see that happening either cause its would feel pretty much a copy-paste with some extra effects. And whats about stunbreak etc? Do we will ever be able to customize utilities at all? The more they reveal they more questions we have..

Scoobaniec.9561

Meh..give me a break im confused now xd too busy trolling in sw.

Crise.9401

That actually makes sense, yeah. But then again im worried. If we can “catch” for example 20 different legends like a pokemons, how many skills that class will offer in the end? Its a lot of skills tbh. Basically 10 skills per legend

More like anywhere between 5 and 10 per legend most likely, ie. lets call the skills affected directly by your active legend “Legend” skills (like signets or traps). That means the Revenant would have a set of static utilities like the rest of us but a specific skill category that is impacted by the legends.

Another possibility would be that each category of skills has a specific subset (say 2) that are legend bound (ie. say Revenant has access to shouts, then he would have f.ex. 4 shouts total one or two of which are affected by his legend).

If you are worried about skill overflow. The elementalists get 20 skills per weapon(set) plus Glyph utilities, so I think it is not outside the realm of possibility for them to go the pokemon route with legends. Especially since the skill animations and effects can be a lot more free form than weapon skills when the weapon doesn’t necessarily have to be featured (ie. they don’t need to have damage component for example).

Also, utilities and especially elites tend to have longer cooldowns as well and if they limit the combat swapping of legends it probably wouldn’t be that much harder to balance than Elementalist in the long run.

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

So it’s kinda like Ele Glyphs that change with attunement, would have to see the skill before I can have an opinion.

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

Meh..give me a break im confused now xd too busy trolling in sw.

Breakdown from what it sounds like to me:

We have three systems “Like” this in the game already:

Elemental attunments.
Engineer kits.
Norn racial skills: transformations.

These are all very similar, in that they change your weapon bar into something else. Although they each accomplish it in a different way, with different limitations.

It sounds like the new class changes everything BUT your weapon bar. Which makes it just similar enough to fit in with the current classes, but different enough to play like something else.

Skills 6 7 8 9 and likely the Elite skill too.

The question remains HOW it changes them.
Is it a class ability, like with the elemental? Or will it be a set of skills you activate, like engineer kits and norn transformations?

Total Guesswork:
I’m betting it works like Elemental attunements, equiped like ranger pets, but will have a time limit. Something like death shroud, or maybe just 30 seconds before it ends.

It might also put your normal skill bar on cool down when an ability is activated. So you won’t be able to use one legends heal skill, then switch to another and immediately use their heal skill.

Crise.9401

I’m betting it works like Elemental attunements, equiped like ranger pets, but will have a time limit. Something like death shroud, or maybe just 30 seconds before it ends.

It might also put your normal skill bar on cool down when an ability is activated. So you won’t be able to use one legends heal skill, then switch to another and immediately use their heal skill.

Locking you out of “legend dancing” is given. If it is time restricted though utility cooldowns will have to be shorter than normal utility cooldowns otherwise you can use your utility a grand total of once during your channel (and there can be no highly situational legend bound utilities very easily, since it would easily turn into spam all the utilities before time runs out) and assuming each legend also has a cooldown like ele attunement swapping it would kind of put a huge damper on it.

If it has normal utility cooldowns I could see it working like adrenaline/death shroud but having a longer duration like 5-8 minutes or based on how long you fought without channeling a legend (with the same caveat of no dancing ofc, so once you channel a legend you are stuck in it for the entire duration of the channel).

Edit: an interesting spin on it would be if the more damage you take the shorter the channel time, ie. adrenaline reversed sort of. You could spin it by saying that the spirits of the legends or whatever they are hate feeling pain as most of them probably didn’t die of old age.

(edited by Crise.9401)

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Based on the info revealed, I have a few thoughts:

1. Anet follows a consistent theme involving the class mechanics where you have one button at the very least (steal) and four buttons at the most (attunements). Therefore, it is safe to assume that the revenant will not have more than four legends available at any given moment. In other words, don’t expect an F5 skill or beyond that.
  2. Switching or “channeling” a legend means switching out skills 6-10. Again, looking at the engineer and elementalist, both can have way more than the standard 15 skills (10 weapon skills plus a heal skill, three utilities, and one elite equal 15) and therefore, cannot switch weapons. The engi technically doesn’t switch weapons, they switch out kits and can still access their toolbelt skills and other utilities.
  3. Trends. Speaking of trends, I am skeptical that Anet would allow weapon switching on a class with access to more than 15 skills. It doesn’t follow the trend of the other two classes with access to more than 15 skills. The necro doesn’t count due to deathshroud locking out access to the right half of the skill bar.
  4. Regarding the no higher level cap statement. Speaking as a GW1 vet, Anet never raised the level cap back then, so I’m not at all surprised that they say they will “never” raise the level cap now. It didn’t happen despite desire from players in fan forums back then, I highly doubt it will happen now or ever. I do believe, however, that there would have to be a huge amount of backlash beyond the ME3 ending fiasco if Anet were to budge on their stance regarding increasing level caps.

(edited by DanteZero.9736)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“Correct,” he answers. “We will never add more levels to the game, we will never add more tiers of gear to the game. The tiers and levels we have today will be the tiers and levels we have for the rest of the life of Guild Wars 2.”

This definitive statement brought a tear to this GW1 vet’s eye. Now, lets hope they hold to it.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I think some of you are probably correct in your estimates, now that we know “channeling a legend” effects skills 6-0. Here’s how I think it will work:

1. Revenants will have weapon swap ability. If they did not, they would be the only profession that cannot use on-swap sigils, since channeling doesn’t change their weapon.

2. Revenants will collect Legends like Rangers collect pets.

3. Revenants will have normal utility skills, but with shorter cooldowns than average. The base effect may be on the weaker side.

4. Channeling a Legend adds some extra effect to the 6-0 skills. Not every Legend will necessarily effect every skill (for example, Malyx may not affect a defensive utility)

5. Channeling a Legend will be similar to attunements in terms of cooldowns. Once you swap Legends, you won’t be able to return to that same Legend for a period of time.

The end result is that utilities will overall be weaker, but be used more often in multiple ways. They would not change greatly, but using the right “kicker” effects at the right time can greatly enhance your play.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Traits changes related to specializations to balance? Please don’t mess up there is so much potential in this if they are dedicated to 5 playstyles/trait lines and have a specific kitten nal.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Scoobaniec.9561

Looks like that revenant might be dissapointing tbh. Its all down to how they solve that utility swapping. As i gain more info i have more and more quetions.. Just give us a vid from gameplay;)

(edited by Scoobaniec.9561)

Crise.9401

I think some of you are probably correct in your estimates, now that we know “channeling a legend” effects skills 6-0. Here’s how I think it will work:

1. Revenants will have weapon swap ability. If they did not, they would be the only profession that cannot use on-swap sigils, since channeling doesn’t change their weapon.

2. Revenants will collect Legends like Rangers collect pets.

3. Revenants will have normal utility skills, but with shorter cooldowns than average. The base effect may be on the weaker side.

4. Channeling a Legend adds some extra effect to the 6-0 skills. Not every Legend will necessarily effect every skill (for example, Malyx may not affect a defensive utility)

5. Channeling a Legend will be similar to attunements in terms of cooldowns. Once you swap Legends, you won’t be able to return to that same Legend for a period of time.

The end result is that utilities will overall be weaker, but be used more often in multiple ways. They would not change greatly, but using the right “kicker” effects at the right time can greatly enhance your play.

This seems fairly reasonable set of conditions, I really hope we get the deep dive for Revenant sooner rather than later. If in part because we may also get some tidbits dropped about Rytlock in the process. Also, sort of want to know if Revenant will have access to greatsword or not.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-29-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-expansion-level-cap-gear-tier

This has some big statements, something has indeed been officially taken off the table unless Eurogamer misquoted.

Heart of Thorns will not raise the level-cap or add a new tier of gear, and thus, he had backed up his fighting talk with action. But that fighting talk made me wonder about the future, and whether Guild Wars 2 would ever cave in and conform? When I get game director Colin Johanson on the phone a couple of days after the reveal, I press him about it. And then he makes another statement worth remembering.

Also, about revenant:

Johanson explains to me: “[Channelling a legend] actually changes out the entire back-half of your skillbar, so your heal skill, your utilities and your elite are all determined by the Legend you are currently channelling.” Apparently there are traits that “play off” these abilities and combo strongly.

They may have been mentioned elsewhere but seriously this deserved its own thread, just for the fact that a high level dev at ANet just used the word never, not anything indicating any sort of reservation or uncertainty… just flat never. In PR terms this is a bad move unless you are super confident.

Then again, MO also said in an interview that if he had announced level cap increase or new tier of gear (which as he so astutely pointed out is more or less the same thing) he could see the crowd storming the stage. But it is good to have it out there in this way too.

So I was spot on except for it not changing your weapon skills but the heal and utility
When I shared my Reaper class prediction.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/New-Soldier-Class-Reaper/first

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I understand the no gear treadmill but seriously something at least once a year. This IS an mmorpg not barbie dress up

Knighthonor.4061

Ranger because their wording suggests you get to choose which legend you channel, similar to how rangers can choose which pets they use. Perhaps we can roam the world looking for graves, statues and books to gain more legends to summon.

Elementalist because of the whole “changing legends [attunement]”. Say you channel a healer legend, your heal and skills would have a new condition cleanse or boon addition, or using Mallyx (they stated he’d have controls of conditions) would add condition damage to your heal and utilities.

For example, you use a shout utility, the shout by default gives 3 stacks of might and some fury. If you channel Mallyx, the shout gives 3 stacks of might, some fury and bleeds your target each time you hit them for kittens. Or if you channel a healer, the shout gives the boons and clears conditions from you and your allies.

That’s easier said than done, for skills that just provide stats yes. But what about skills that aren’t just stat buttons, such as a Guardian’s meditation skills, or a Warrior’s physical skills, etc. those aren’t just skills that add stats. So how will those skills change.

I believe each skill will be like some sort of glyph similar to Elementalist that which change based on the attunement or in this case, the channel you are in.

Knighthonor.4061

I understand the no gear treadmill but seriously something at least once a year. This IS an mmorpg not barbie dress up

Don’t buy into developers words too deeply. Developers and their marketers have clever ways to word things.

They said we won’t get new gear tiers, they never said we won’t get new gear upgrades. Also keep in mind we will get new skills now instead of gear.

Knighthonor.4061

Looks like that revenant might be dissapointing tbh. Its all down to how they solve that utility swapping. As i gain more info i have more and more quetions.. Just give us a vid from gameplay;)

Looks like all heals, utilities and elites are glyph skills similar to elementalist skills.

I am curious how they will make this work for non stat skills as well. Elementalist use glyphs for non stat skills, but mostly it’s for a different element of the same general spell, such as the AoE Storm or Summon creature.

psizone.8437

But what about skills that aren’t just stat buttons, such as a Guardian’s meditation skills, or a Warrior’s physical skills, etc. those aren’t just skills that add stats. So how will those skills change.

Guardians already have a trait that allows their meditations to also heal the guardian, it would most likely work like that. For warrior, “Use bull rush, also bleeds enemy for 5 seconds” or “Use bull rush, gain protection for 4 seconds”

Knighthonor.4061

But what about skills that aren’t just stat buttons, such as a Guardian’s meditation skills, or a Warrior’s physical skills, etc. those aren’t just skills that add stats. So how will those skills change.

Guardians already have a trait that allows their meditations to also heal the guardian, it would most likely work like that. For warrior, “Use bull rush, also bleeds enemy for 5 seconds” or “Use bull rush, gain protection for 4 seconds”

You talking traits, I am talking skills. But yes it could work that way indeed as you explained.
But I dare say, that would be a bit boring for a mechanic don’t you think? Only effecting the conditions/boons applied by the skills?

psizone.8437

You talking traits, I am talking skills. But yes it could work that way indeed as you explained.
But I dare say, that would be a bit boring for a mechanic don’t you think? Only effecting the conditions/boons applied by the skills?

I would assume that would only be a part of it, what someone said in the thread about having skills like the elementalists glyphs that completely change depending on the legend channelled could also be there.

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Even if weapon channeling isn’t on the F bar, it could still come from utilities. They would only need a single utility skill that channels your active legend into your weapon(s). Less like ele attunement, more like ele weapon summon, is what I’ve been picturing.

On that note, it would be easy to extend that mechanic to channel up some armor effects as well, (retaliation, knockback when hit, etc.).

I should be writing.

(edited by Gulesave.5073)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Well, assuming that Eurogamer didn’t lose anything in translation, I am very, VERY pleased to hear that new gear tiers and higher levels are permanently off the table.

I do wonder if that means new stat spreads won’t ever be added though.

Knighthonor.4061

Even if weapon channeling isn’t on the F bar, it could still come from utilities. They would only need a single utility skill that channels your active legend into your weapon(s). Less like ele attunement, more like ele weapon summon, is what I’ve been picturing.

On that note, it would be easy to extend that mechanic to channel up some armor effects as well, (retaliation, knockback when hit, etc.).

But again, they said channels change the back skills not weapons. Also if it worked the way you explained, it would be possible to spec with 3 channels in utilities, so how will that work out using your system? What would a channel change into if its a utility skill…

Crise.9401

I do wonder if that means new stat spreads won’t ever be added though.

As fas as ascended stuff is concerned, definitely, since they don’t have an upgrade slot. But that being said, I doubt they will add stat combinations just for the sake of adding them. Which is why I would like to speculate that f.ex. condition damage will be a big(ger) deal in HoT than it is right now f.ex. not to mention that there are now some sets that don’t have power at all, which were added recently, I’d like to think they wouldn’t add a set just for decoration.

Not suggesting that any set is going to overthrow power based variants completely, but them adding stat spreads that no-one would really use right now seems pointless. Unless they know something we don’t. Especially when zerker is already dominating as it is.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I think we’ve got a pretty good menu of choices as far as stat spreads are concerned now (including two which aren’t currently available outside of special cases, “Captain’s” and “Barbarian”). However, it’s mostly so I can decide whether or not it’s time to take the plunge and upgrade my mains to Ascended gear. I’ve finally accumulated all the materials I need, but I hesitate because they could introduce new stat spreads which are more ideal. (The introduction of Sinister, for example, which is a far better choice for my Necro than the Carrion/Rabid stuff I was originally going to get for her.)

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

But again, they said channels change the back skills not weapons. Also if it worked the way you explained, it would be possible to spec with 3 channels in utilities, so how will that work out using your system? What would a channel change into if its a utility skill…

Eh? It wouldn’t. Your F skills channel a chosen legend into your non-weapon skills, changing all their effects, (like ele glyphs). One of these skills, (or skill types), could theoretically alter your equipment, imbuing it with the essence of the legend you’re currently channeling.

Again, that’s just how I’m imagining it.

I should be writing.

Scoobaniec.9561

Wiki says; “Can channel the Mists into weapons, as well as utility and heal skills”

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Heart_of_Thorns

Crise.9401

Wiki says; “Can channel the Mists into weapons, as well as utility and heal skills”

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Heart_of_Thorns

There is a clear inconsistency between the summary and the profession specific pages, the profession page lists references while the summary page doesn’t. So for the time being with the little that we know it is probably safe to assume that weapon skills changing is an exception rather than a rule for the Revenant.

Scoobaniec.9561

Or that the whole theory about pets etc is just wrong. Most likely reve will receive 4 fixed legends that change the whole skill bar from skill 1 to 0.

It would give them too much work imo to create 10+ legends that change your utilities.

Crise.9401

Or that the whole theory about pets etc is just wrong. Most likely reve will receive 4 fixed legends that change the whole skill bar from skill 1 to 0.

It would give them too much work imo to create 10+ legends that change your utilities.

It could very well be wrong, but at the same time we have Elementalist with 60 land weapon skills and 20 underwater skills. 25 conjure weapon skills and 6 Glyphs with four variants each.

There are at least two ways they can go with legends, the boring way which is four static legends two of which we already know (essentially carbon copy of attunements for utilities). This is not entirely without merits though as in this setup each of the four legends likely gets more than one full set of utilities (ie. 5 skills). At the same time, however, unlike attunements which are intuitive and it wouldn’t really make sense to have many, if any, more unless you force it, legends are not similarly easy to categorize and define.

Assuming they take this path of least resistance Jalis seems essentially very much akin to earth attunement, Mallyx on the other hand a condition control one, which would be kind of fresh I admit but its usefulness without further information is debatable. As for the other two one of them would likely be pure offense and the other more supporty.

Then there is the fun way, one that is indefinitely extendable and has the potential to involve some discovery over just flat level or skillpoint unlocks. I am not saying that we would necessarily get 10+ legends with HoT if they went with this path, we might get some equally low number to the four we would get with the boring option above. But why would they deliberately lock themselves out of the potential to expand the lineup of legends in the future by tying them to the definite number of F-action skills directly.

That is not to say that these two are even the only options, another one is contextual legends for example. when you get X conditions on you that is when Mallyx will become available for channel or when you take a certain threshold of damage Jalis becomes an option. Or then they can go with a time gated mechanic akin death shroud already discussed, but personally I think these last two are the least likely options because of the usual nature of utility skills (ie. longer cooldowns, situational skills, elites).

Scoobaniec.9561

Imo the utilities itself might not change as it sounds. They may as well be copy-paste of ele glyph

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

Man, there are so many interviews, I’m losing track of information _

Hope the official information from Anet starts flowing, maybe during and after the Beta release.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Oh man, I totally called it. Just last night I was thinking about Revenant and the class ability, trying to figure out how it would work without being too similar to Elementalist and attunements. And I thought “Well, what if it was a reverse Attunement. Attunes change weapon skills, so what if Revenant’s changed utilities instead?”.

I guess now we see how dramatic that change is, but if I continue to be correct in my prediction, then its going to basically be a completely different utility setup to any other class. Revenant won’t have a choosable set of utilities where you can slot different skills into slots like other professions, but rather will have a set of utilities / heals / elites for every “legend”. Rather than setting up your utilities advance and being unable to change them during battle, Revenant will instead be able to use any of their utilities during battle by switching to different legends. So they’ll essentially have access to all their utilities at all times, but of course limited by some kind of cooldown on swapping legends.