Any reason to play HoT maps now?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’ve been steadily playing HoT maps since the whole point of them seems to be to collect items for the legendary journey. But since that’s no longer a thing, what is the point of HoT maps? If I want gold or items it is much more efficient to farm SW or Orr. I guess I can finish up the armor set collections, but the long term reason to continue playing HoT maps seems to be gone now…

Are they doomed to go the way of the other barren maps? (southsun cove anyone?)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I collect items for other collections. Lots of ascended items on offer.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

You can get guaranteed karka shells on Southsun, do three dailies and it has a reliable world boss. So I guess Southsun will be more populated from that point of view.^^

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

nope

Posted by: Ashandar.2570

Ashandar.2570

Only reason to go there now is HP to unlock elites on alts, so 2 more visits in VB for me, and then I have no incentive to go back.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’ve been steadily playing HoT maps since the whole point of them seems to be to collect items for the legendary journey. But since that’s no longer a thing, what is the point of HoT maps? If I want gold or items it is much more efficient to farm SW or Orr. I guess I can finish up the armor set collections, but the long term reason to continue playing HoT maps seems to be gone now…

One of the things that they said prior to the latest hiccup was that they wanted to work on those maps. Since that’s consistent with retasking people from other projects, I imagine we’ll see a change to the gating, event timing, and rewards. (I have no idea whether that means folks who don’t like those maps will be tempted to return — we’ll have to wait & see.)

There are other reasons to spend time in Magus Falls, including other collections and, believe it or not, some people enjoy the metas.

Regardless, I think it’s premature to ‘guess’ about the effect of one announcement (regardless of how controversial it is) on Magus Falls. Especially since: all we have to do is wait to see how it plays out.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I was never collecting for legendaries, but I enjoy playing the HoT maps anyway. I think they’re usually pretty fun (although it can be tricky getting onto a “good” map,) there are plenty of miscellaneous achievements to go for, I’m training masteries (especially gliding, which can be used outside HoT areas,) I’m doing the “new” world exploration for the fun of it, and it’s a good place to train specializations.

I can’t say how much gold I’m making per hour, or how that compares to other farms, but there are non-legendary reasons to play in Magus Falls.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

Yeah, I don’t know why anyone thinks the only purpose of the new maps was to make legendaries. As other people have stated, there are numerous collections tied to Magus Falls maps, as well as achievements, story events, elite spec leveling, and meta events.

That being said, I’m hopeful that the update will help with the map issue (both getting people on the same map in the first place and perhaps making it so that the events can be successful even on maps that don’t have the luxury of a million tags). For all the kitten they get, and even with how frustrating they are to navigate, the maps had a ton of attention put into them and I’d hate for the news about legendaries to render them obsolete. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t incentivize them further via upping rewards all around, perhaps nerfing SW in the process for blah blah ~the economy~ reasons.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I still need bladed armor so I’ll probably eventually still do VB. The other maps? Not so much.

Will still save up machetes from my ley line thingy every day tho.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

I’ve been thinking about this too recently. And, I don’t really think so. My main has maxed out everything, and I would only do DS to get the free 70 points for alts. But other than that, I have zero reason to go there now. I have been exploring the old world on my alts, and logging into GW1 lol. I thought maybe nostalgia had made me think GW1 was better than I remembered – but nope, it’s still really fun (although it looks horrendous of course – but that doesn’t seem to matter).

I had been doing them to farm the mats for future legendaries (wanted to make a HoT sword) but as that’s dead, I stopped.

I’m also assuming that when / if Legendaries ever come back they’ll be tied to future expansions and map currencies, so all HoT mats will be useless anyway.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

(edited by MashMash.1645)

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

Very little reason once you’ve completed the majority of achievements/collections.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

I still play the new maps because I enjoy running around in them exploring and doing the metas. For me they are fun spaces to be.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I find the new maps more fun than the old ones.
Of course, I play more for fun than for obtaining achievements or gear. So I don’t even think on making a legendary yet.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Werdx.2059

Werdx.2059

I completed them 2x .No reason for me to go there like,ever again.I spent a lot of time there,getting 4x 250 asceded map reward materials and getting all masteries and achis.They are same kitten once you complete everything,which doesn’t take more than 15 days ,except 100 tarir wins and DS mastery point,which u need talk to Asura,every day answering 3 question for 15 days.If you want gold,you wont find it there,because SW in one hour can give you 18-25 gold,those HoT maps 4-5 gold a hour.

If you want fun,well you wont find it there either.When you look at what you doing,you can ask yourself why i am doing those maps?For fun?Well,if repeating 4 meta events until next expansion is ANet’s way of having fun,and way of “inventing” new things,you better pass it.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I completed the collections last year so there hadn’t been much reason to play those maps lately except to gather enough currency for future legendary weapons. With those off the table now, I see no reason to even play those maps. I may still do the occasional TD for the chance of the Chak sac but I’m pretty much done with the HoT maps now.

I also seriously doubt that anyone can make 18-25G/hr in SW nowadays.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Verdant is fun, unfortunately Auric Basin is always empty and I’d love to do more of it on alts there just really isn’t anyone there. DS is a royal pain and hit and miss so unless they change that who knows if it will get any better.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Whenever I’m on, there are so few people playing that there’s no real reason for me to go out to HoT maps. Can’t get anything done, anyway.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

because SW in one hour can give you 18-25 gold,those HoT maps 4-5 gold a hour.

For comparison, I can operate a lumber mill for around 6g/hour up to a maximum of 22g/hour. There were 7+ instances open yesterday.

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

I completed them 2x .No reason for me to go there like,ever again.I spent a lot of time there,getting 4x 250 asceded map reward materials and getting all masteries and achis.They are same kitten once you complete everything,which doesn’t take more than 15 days ,except 100 tarir wins and DS mastery point,which u need talk to Asura,every day answering 3 question for 15 days.If you want gold,you wont find it there,because SW in one hour can give you 18-25 gold,those HoT maps 4-5 gold a hour.

If you want fun,well you wont find it there either.When you look at what you doing,you can ask yourself why i am doing those maps?For fun?Well,if repeating 4 meta events until next expansion is ANet’s way of having fun,and way of “inventing” new things,you better pass it.

This.

When I got map completion on VB — and before I moved onto AB — I looked back over VB and asked myself, “Really? That’s all there is? I waited 3 years for this?”

I then deleted my two Alts and sold all the Ascended Mats I’d been farming for them over the Summer — because I knew that there was no way I would ever take them into VB (or any other HoT Map for that matter).

Made about 2k in gold selling those Mats, but….