Anyone else expecting to glide... but don't?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I am now throwing myself off cliffs in non-beta characters and expecting to glide, but meet the floor and my doom.

Why did you do this to me, ANet?

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Lara Hesperax.2537

Lara Hesperax.2537

Lmao. I done this and also went to use my new chronomancer elite on my Mesmer

LEEEEEEEERRRROOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYY JEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNKIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSS!

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

its to increase sales on revive orbs

Posted by: Omega Zoa.3859

Omega Zoa.3859

I hear if you buy 10,000 gems at noon, while dancing with zhaitan, you will get your glider back.

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Lol. I bet. It’s so much fun to glide, even though all of long glides ended with me splatting on the ground floor. There’s going to be a lot of pressure to revamp the vanilla maps to allow gliding.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: makagoto.1204

makagoto.1204

gliding is too much fun to keep it exp pack only. the next step would be to give us gliding skills and some aerial battle, yeah i know that will never happen :-)

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Lol. I bet. It’s so much fun to glide, even though all of long glides ended with me splatting on the ground floor. There’s going to be a lot of pressure to revamp the vanilla maps to allow gliding.

I’d love it if they could, but I doubt it will happen.

At the very least though I want gliding in the cities. I want to be able to throw myself from Phoenix Roost

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

What I’m wondering is how long it will take for the new forum Meta to appear. Along with Mounts! and Dueling? there is going to be, GLIDING! and of course the obligatory gliding Meta post, “Why don’t they put it in the old maps? All they need to do is flip a switch.”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Reece.7341

Reece.7341

Am I the only person who really wishes gliding was designated only for specific “gliding areas”, similar to the way diving goggles work, or perhaps have a cooldown to it? I just feel like gliding will remove any feel of fall damage, and seeing people pop open a glider for the smallest gap is just going to look odd. It takes me back to Aion…

Posted by: Omega Zoa.3859

Omega Zoa.3859

Am I the only person who really wishes gliding was designated only for specific “gliding areas”, similar to the way diving goggles work, or perhaps have a cooldown to it? I just feel like gliding will remove any feel of fall damage, and seeing people pop open a glider for the smallest gap is just going to look odd. It takes me back to Aion…

The “gliding areas” are only in HoT zones, there, happy? lol

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Posted by: Reece.7341

Reece.7341

The “gliding areas” are only in HoT zones, there, happy? lol

You know what I mean, haha. See the diving goggles bit.

I just don’t want to see someone jump off the ground and pop a glider on flat ground or any of that rediculousness. I love the aesthetics of this game, and gliders are cool, but when used in the right way. It also removes some of the “fear” and exploration and fall damage.

I’m also curious if this can be done in combat, and if so wouldn’t it bug enemies and events? I didn’t get a chance to play beta this weekend.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

On that latter question, you absolutely can glide in combat. It saved my butt a few times to leap off a cliff away from mordrem or dinos. Otoh if you glide too close to mobs they can knock you out of the air, le ouch.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

But this was the best part of Aion flight system! Also the cause of quite a few of my deaths in GW2 until I finished training my fingers for a “no gliding allowed” world XD

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Am I the only person who really wishes gliding was designated only for specific “gliding areas”, similar to the way diving goggles work, or perhaps have a cooldown to it?

Thats a very good idea. Change the diving goggles to a “gliding parachute”. That’s the least what they can do to put gliding in the old maps.

P.S. Yes, I know, thats not what you said.

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

Not yet, so far, but i’m sure once HoT releases and i’ve spent hours gliding through the jungle, i will msot likely forget it’s not possible in old zones followed by numerous painfully hilarious deaths.