Anyone not buying HoT and still playing ?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: MyriadStars.5679

MyriadStars.5679

With the current USD vs Canadian dollar exchange it would be 74$ to get HOT. Not worth the price, I will wait for it to go on sale as they did frequently for the core game as I assume a pet will follow that template. Hopefully around the holidays it will be more affordable

It’s really weird. I pre-ordered from Bestbuy Canada, but it seemed that they failed to get any stock. Maybe the same reason that caused Ebgames to stop being a retailer of HOT also prevented Bestbuy Canada from fulfilling the pre-orders. Well, this gives me time to wait to see the reviews of HOT and then decide what to do, so it’s not entirely a bad thing for me.

After reading more about the experience of players who have started playing HOT, I am inclined to wait. I will level up huntsman in the meanwhile at a slow pace (so yeah, I will still spend a few minutes on GW2 now and then without HOT, in case I want to play more in the future), and play Heroes of the Storm / legacy of the void instead. For a long time, I mostly did spvp in GW2, because there was essentially no new pve content after LS season 2. Now it doesn’t make sense to do spvp without elite specs, so it makes sense for me to play games that are focused on competitive play.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Thanks for that Clarification, Gail. So the Anet position is “We don’t Care”? I suspected that.

I had intended to continue playing without purchasing. I still will not be purchasing, and it looks doubtful, now, that I will follow through on still playing.

Because “reasons”.

Why would you assume that we don’t care? It’s not even remotely logical.

There are many comments in this thread, both positive and negative, that, when on topic, remain in place. Our point here is that the OP asked a specific question, and the thread is being use to state (and in most cases restate) opinions that are off topic to the thread.

The topic — which is quite interesting — is not “Will you buy the expansion?” Look for those threads elsewhere. There are many of them and we have no issue with whatever you wish to say, if presented in a reasonable manner.

This question is something different, and the OP’s intentions should be respected, as we expect of any thread, on any topic.

Please note: your comments, because they address the subject, remain in place. The discussion continues with the on-topic posts.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Thanks for that Clarification, Gail. So the Anet position is “We don’t Care”? I suspected that.

I had intended to continue playing without purchasing. I still will not be purchasing, and it looks doubtful, now, that I will follow through on still playing.

Because “reasons”.

Why would you assume that? It’s not even remotely logical.

There are many comments in this thread, both positive and negative, that, when on topic, remain in place. Our point here is that the OP asked a specific question, and the thread is being use to state (and in most cases restate) opinions that are off topic to the thread.

The topic — which is quite interesting — is not “Will you buy the expansion?” Look for those threads elsewhere. There are many of them and we have no issue with whatever you wish to say, if presented in a reasonable manner.

This question is something different, and the OP’s intentions should be respected, as we expect of any thread, on any topic.

Pardon, I make the assumption because there are no Red Name statements on those threads. And I am sorry, because you are the last person I should vent at.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Keegan.2964

Keegan.2964

IMO, the fun went out of this game on June 23, when they ripped the guts out of the trait system and made it more restrictive and I couldn’t find builds I liked to replace the ones I’d lost. There was also the fact that my gear no longer fit with my build and had to be replaced. Since then, I took a 3 to 4 month break. I’ll come back from time to time, while waiting for a new game to come along, to do jumping puzzles and to level a new toon. As for HoT, I probably wouldn’t have bought it even if the content DID justify the high price because of the horrid trait system that’s currently in place.

Posted by: FranBunnyFFXII.3508

FranBunnyFFXII.3508

Im not buying Heart of Thrones, but that’s not because I dont want it, its because I can’t afford to buy it right now.

Other things come first and I’m short on cash.

Franbunny Alice Viera – 25/F/USA
|Aurin Esper|Castanic Archer|Sword Fiona|Norn Ranger|Blood Elf Fire Mage|Togruta Sith|

Posted by: ZhouFusion.1826

ZhouFusion.1826

I was planning to Play without purchasing HoT.
Because I’m a WvW player and don’t see what HoT add for me.
So aftertrying out the New Borderlandmap and found a ghost town all day. I decided I won’t be playing. Doesn’t mean I wont try it out again later.

Ps. a side note if it turns out that Specialization Classes are stronger then The old 8. then you won’t even see me return.

Posted by: Shardex.7486

Shardex.7486

Three months ago i bought the core game including HoT for 32€. I played for a month, and paused since then because my friend who wanted to play with me couldnt run it well on his wooden machine. I am a long time WoW player and have tried a lot of other mmorpgs over the last decade. People who play mmorpgs usually dont play them for 3-4 hours a month , a majority of them do play on a very regular daily basis. This means many hundreds of hours of gameplay and having a good time.
Going to the cinema for a 2h movie costs me already a 3rd of the game´s price.
You see where im getting at..

Primarily i am a PvPer and i would even pay 10€ per month for the spvp maps content alone, if i had to. This is what i do in the other mentioned mmo.
I havent logged in HoT yet, but even if there´s not that vast amount of new diverse content as in the coregame, i have absolutely no problem to pay this one time fee once again when the next expansion hits.
The quality of this game is overall amazing, and people (not only in this game) seem to undervalue the work that has been put in high polished games.
Even on the occasion i might never log in again because of missing time or motivation to put effort and work learning gw2 pvp, i would never regret having bought Gw2(HoT) just to support the Devs for creating such a beautiful piece of art (with its flaws of course).

I think its totally fine to say, no im not invested that much (anymore) to buy more of this game and am happy with what i have and can play.
A LOT of people in the current WoW community cry about missing content in the current expansion. While they are right on some bad design decisions, there is a ton of content to do (basegame and newest expansion). The ones that cry loudest are often the ones who havent managed to beat even half of the game.
They just bore themselves and blame it on a game.
The new specializations will only offer more options to the player to build his class, not better, atleast thats the intention.
I just hope Anet is preparing to balance out fairly quickly and in touch with the high end pvp´ers and pve´ers in this community as i want this game to be very successful and be a thing in esports.

But, devs, pleeease tone down the visual spell lightning show, its too much counteracting the good stuff underneath! Thank you

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Guys,

Please read the topic of this thread. The subject is… Not, “Why I didn’t buy” or “What I think about the pricing,”.

Actually the majority of the OP is dedicated to asking why and gives multiple examples of what he theorizes are the reasons, including the specific examples you mention.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: Xymena.2741

Xymena.2741

Well, I know I will not be playing very much anymore until Anet realizes they need to release elite specializations to everyone, or at least have a way to earn it via in-game currency (gem store purchase similar to the deluxe version upgrade?) or perhaps something else achievement or story related. Elite specializations have ruined PvP and WvW for ANYONE who hasn’t purchased HoT, and it is painfully obvious that no amount of “balancing” in the upcoming months will be able to resolve this issue as the new skill sets are simply much more overpowered than the base game specializations.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Well, I know I will not be playing very much anymore until Anet realizes they need to release elite specializations to everyone, or at least have a way to earn it via in-game currency (gem store purchase similar to the deluxe version upgrade?) or perhaps something else achievement or story related. Elite specializations have ruined PvP and WvW for ANYONE who hasn’t purchased HoT, and it is painfully obvious that no amount of “balancing” in the upcoming months will be able to resolve this issue as the new skill sets are simply much more overpowered than the base game specializations.

Actually, I predict that we will see the “amg core pve too easy” rolling in from the HoT players, and eventually a balance pass made to at least the 75-80 core zones and world bosses in response. Core players have more screwing to come if I am correct.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Please read the topic of this thread. The subject is: “If you did not purchase HoT, are you still playing (or will you continue to play) GW2?”

Ok.

My answer to the above question is, no, I won’t continue to play GW2.

That’s mostly because I cannot continue to support ArenaNet. They have clearly spit on their players’ faces by releasing HoT with so few armor and weapon skins, at the same time they add a bunch of new skins to the Gem Store, with the preposterous price of 2000 gems.

This is a clear example of ArenaNet’s priority, and a sign of how greed has overcome their concerns about the well being of their players.

This was not the first sign, though. ArenaNet went from “we will release content when it’s ready” to releasing HoT with lots of vague promises about adding features “later”, without even a hint of when said “later” will be. New Legendaries? “Later”. New squad system? “Later”. Raid? “Later”.

And again, they cannot add the legendary skins to HoT at release, but they can release a bunch of skins buyable through the Gem Store.

I simply cannot have faith or support ArenaNet with this kind of behavior, when they act with such spite regarding their players.

And thus, my very much on topic answer to what has been clearly stated as being the subject of this topic is: no, I won’t.

Posted by: Edenfer.9816

Edenfer.9816

I was planning to play without purchasing HoT, at least for a while.
But I logged in today and felt betrayed. Destroying the core game to force people to buy the expansion is such a disgusting move.

As a big time fan of the series since Gw1, I’m so disappointed.

No, I won’t be playing.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

I’ll probably keep playing (didn’t buy hot yet, as I didn’t care for the pre-purchase thing). I only finished living story 2 on one of my toons, and have several that have not even begun it yet, or finished their personal story. I might change my mind if I log in and find that pre-existing core content has been locked behind HOT.

Posted by: iJest.4139

iJest.4139

I won’t be buying HoT for a while. My gaming laptop is old and has pretty much run out of space. And I’ve run out of money. When I fix those two problems I do plan to get the expansion.

Posted by: Larvath.9760

Larvath.9760

“realizes they need to release elite specializations to everyone” Uhhh.. What’s the point of HoT? if that becomes the case, 0.

Posted by: Spanner.7835

Spanner.7835

Not at $50 US for some living story + gimicks. Since it isn’t released in a box there is no chance of getting it on discount in my local currency either.
Would have preferred a solid map expansion with basic content in Elona or Cantha.
Have gone back to playing GW1 for a while. So much content left to do…

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

About me:

I started playing at launch. For the first two years I was glued to the game. When the pace of releases/events slowed down, I found myself losing interest in the game, but not enough to stop playing entirely. Racked up just under 4k hours and 17.5k AP before the Sept. 2014 feature pack when I basically stopped playing. But I didn’t stop entirely. Instead, I really slowed down. Every now and then I would go revisit a map I hadn’t completed in a while, or do some PvP, or ride the world boss train, etc… I was putting most of my gaming time into other games, but still kept logging in for my dailies and engaged in the game (at least from a distance) because I didn’t have the firewall of a sub fee to keep me away when the itch struck.

I know this must sound like heresy, but I don’t really care about what class I’m playing or min maxing or whatever when I am not in a competitive environment. I just kind of like to pick something, throw myself at it, and see what I can find. Every now and then I just like to just go to a random zone and start scraping to see what I will find. The old event/update schedule just really worked for my attention span. The new instanced LS, on the other hand, was a bit too contained and quick for my tastes.

What I’ve seen of the HoT content doesn’t really grab me. That doesn’t mean its bad or anything, but I am not into the jungle theme, am not going to raid, and am kind of put off by what I perceive as the mastery system as gating the content. That doesn’t mean I won’t ever buy it, but right now I just don’t feel compelled to go check it out quite yet, particularly at a fifty-dollar price point.

Why does dollarsign + number five + number zero = kitten?

(edited by Mckeone.9804)

Posted by: McViolin.8547

McViolin.8547

Because “reasons”.

Why would you assume that we don’t care? It’s not even remotely logical.

Please note: your comments, because they address the subject, remain in place. The discussion continues with the on-topic posts.

Care to give us examples of you caring about the community because all I can remember of your company is the feeling of being spitted on. (F2P and the royal guard outfit, gutting core content/rewards like needing masteries for full fractals rewards, Halloween XP bugged yet just won’t fix it. etc,) I’d also disagree with your interpretation of the OP and feel you are just using that as an excuse to keep negativity of this game to a bare minimum. But you are pretty much the face of Anet’s PR team and just doing what you are payed for, so I can somewhat understand. I would also love to be able to refute any counter arguments, if it weren’t for the fact that I have to wait an hour between each post as punishment.

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

Care to give us examples of you caring about the community because all I can remember of your company is the feeling of being spitted on. (F2P and the royal guard outfit, gutting core content/rewards like needing masteries for full fractals rewards, Halloween XP bugged yet just won’t fix it. etc,) I’d also disagree with your interpretation of the OP and feel you are just using that as an excuse to keep negativity of this game to a bare minimum. But you are pretty much the face of Anet’s PR team and just doing what you are payed for, so I can somewhat understand. I would also love to be able to refute any counter arguments, if it weren’t for the fact that I have to wait an hour between each post as punishment.

If you are disappointed you should give your opinion (maybe a little less salty) but it would be nice if you look at things in perspective. Halloween XP bugged yet just won’t fix it. Halloween event released 22 hours ago, at midnight for the developers. Together with the new expansion. You should give them at least a little bit of time to solve bugs. There is no reason to believe the Halloween XP bug will not be solved.

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Guys,

Please read the topic of this thread. The subject is: “If you did not purchase HoT, are you still playing (or will you continue to play) GW2?” Not, “Why I didn’t buy” or “What I think about the pricing,” or other off-topic comments. That’s not what the OP asked, and let’s respect this thread for the actual question that he or she posed.

We have a lot of threads in which you may share your opinions on those other subjects. This thread is asking a simple question: _If you didn’t purchase HoT, will you continue to play the core game. It’s an interesting question, and it deserves “breathing space” without tangential commentary and oft-repeated input.

Please stay on topic.

Thank you.

Looking at the first few sentences of the initial post, the OP is clearly looking for people to explain their reason(s) for not buying HoT: that’s why he gives a few sample reasons.

If someone is giving their honest reason for not buying the expansion and it sounds negative, deleting and infracting them is not the solution. That reflects poorly on how much confidence you have in your game.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

If you are disappointed you should give your opinion (maybe a little less salty) but it would be nice if you look at things in perspective. Halloween XP bugged yet just won’t fix it. Halloween event released 22 hours ago, at midnight for the developers. Together with the new expansion. You should give them at least a little bit of time to solve bugs. There is no reason to believe the Halloween XP bug will not be solved.

You should check out the dev tracker. Ms. Gray has a post in the main GW discussion area wherein she states that it will not be possible to get it fixed.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: SenorMoody.5908

SenorMoody.5908

I have not purchased and will not purchase hot.

I have not logged into the game since the end of august, but I still keep an eye on the forum just in case something makes me want to start playing again.

If that happens I suppose I will spend all my time in WvW.

Wish it, Want it, Do it!

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

Not buying it myself. Not until it hits $30 where I felt like the price should have been at the start. I didn’t care for the specializations shown, and wasn’t overly thrilled with the trait redesign before that either. Masteries seemed like a good idea for horizontal expression, but really not liking the reports of the grind. I remember back during that first beta test (the one that needed a bunch of grinding to access), and getting beyond Tier 2 gliding was basically impossible during that period.

As it is, I don’t think there’s a lot for me to actually do in GW2 until I buy HoT. I’ll be missing the Elite Spec, which looks like basically a mandatory specialization with the way they were designed. And there will be no more updates done for people who haven’t bought HoT, and indeed, nearly everything added in the HoT patch isn’t for regular players. It puts just a bit of a bad taste in my mouth at how exclusionary they are with all the expansion stuff. Even the Halloween event seems like it’s a stripped out version compared to the previous years. Not even a fancy meta achievement reward.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: cosmos.9532

cosmos.9532

No. I bought HoT, but I didn’t play core for months before HoT and maybe after HoT. Before Monthly reward changed, I liked killing field bosses with unknown people that wait time to get more rewards( there is a selectable frog-queen quest that I like. it changes quests as fail or success) without thinking in Kessex Hills. Online massive RPGs are fun because you can play with a lot of people. Not playing with only 5. 5 people can enjoy any other game like LOL, sports games, FPSs, even console games and other RPGs. maybe You say I can kill world bosses or play WvW. People that want to kill world bosses are so busy and try to get rewards with easy way or tactics. Dungeons so. Fractals so. After monthly rewards changed, my favorite became WvW but I eventually quited gw2… and waited HoT. I want Anet revives that kind of play style. So.. yeah … I want massive raids without complex tactics and with changeable rewards. Will you play core? No.

Thief 80 Necromancer 80 [FTF]

(edited by cosmos.9532)

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

I wasn’t planning on buying HoT but my wife bought it for me so I guess that makes me a buyer. She did not buy one for herself and she plans on playing once in awhile and doing guild missions.

GW2 gave away what I paid for so I wouldn’t have bought HoT I’d have played the core game as my wife intends to but we’re trying out other MMOs because I don’t think this game is worth my full attention anymore.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

IMO, the fun went out of this game on June 23, when they ripped the guts out of the trait system and made it more restrictive and I couldn’t find builds I liked to replace the ones I’d lost. There was also the fact that my gear no longer fit with my build and had to be replaced. Since then, I took a 3 to 4 month break. I’ll come back from time to time, while waiting for a new game to come along, to do jumping puzzles and to level a new toon. As for HoT, I probably wouldn’t have bought it even if the content DID justify the high price because of the horrid trait system that’s currently in place.

Agreed.

I think this issue got lost in the HoT hype but it’s still valid. Most of my in-game friends moved on after the trait change.

Please read the topic of this thread. The subject is: “If you did not purchase HoT, are you still playing (or will you continue to play) GW2?”

Ok.

My answer to the above question is, no, I won’t continue to play GW2.

That’s mostly because I cannot continue to support ArenaNet. They have clearly spit on their players’ faces by releasing HoT with so few armor and weapon skins, at the same time they add a bunch of new skins to the Gem Store, with the preposterous price of 2000 gems.

This is a clear example of ArenaNet’s priority, and a sign of how greed has overcome their concerns about the well being of their players.

This was not the first sign, though. ArenaNet went from “we will release content when it’s ready” to releasing HoT with lots of vague promises about adding features “later”, without even a hint of when said “later” will be. New Legendaries? “Later”. New squad system? “Later”. Raid? “Later”.

And again, they cannot add the legendary skins to HoT at release, but they can release a bunch of skins buyable through the Gem Store.

I simply cannot have faith or support ArenaNet with this kind of behavior, when they act with such spite regarding their players.

And thus, my very much on topic answer to what has been clearly stated as being the subject of this topic is: no, I won’t.

^This

Attachments:

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: brunobyof.3541

brunobyof.3541

I just re-installed the game since months without playing it to see the news. I haven’t bought HoT and i was just planning to feel what’s going on before i even think of buying it.
My feelings is that what was really a pain in the kitten at the time i stopped playing, i mean: hours and hours of grinding just to have some new skin, or a couple of gems etc…is now ever worse.
Rewards are so low that the simplest idea of playing this game for an entire week just to have mats to craft a single piece of armor is mindblowing.

I love the game, i think this is on of the best MMO ever. Have lots of fun things to do, lots of interaction and lots of improvements and innovations since launch.
However, the game pushes players to do them all in a way that you feel you need to always look for the “most rewardable things to do” instead of “do what you want and be rewarded for it” feeling….

Some months ago, when i stopped playing, 400gems was costing about 10gold, now its 20gold. However the cost of things on the gem store are still the same, and ridiculously high. It means now you have to grind all week to have some pitiful and useless thing bought with gems.
There’s no reason for me to buy this expansion even though i would love to play it, i feel that i would certainly stop playing it for about a couple of weeks since the core idea of the game is getting worse and worse.

When i used to play WoW for example, i felt that even though the game was paid monthly, there were no such a thing as this imposed need to grind stuff all the time.

GW2 is free2play and i love it for this, but the time i have to play can’t rewardme enought to get the things that i want in the game. Now theres such a complex system for everything. Want a new skin, wepon or outfit? grind-it-all, hours and hours for a recipe, then more hours for making some little gold for an ingredient, then hours to get some collections, then a t1 precursor, then t2 and t3, and you can finally start grinding for the items for a legendary wepon!
i mean, you should have a difficult system for such a reward, but it feeels like you need to choose only one thing to do in your game or else you won’t be achieving anything at all. Want to buy new gem stuff? then grind weeks for it, but be aware that while doing it, you won’t be able to prepare your ascended gear or legendary wepon, or even trade stuf on TP.

Well, i really hope the game changes this because new MMO’s are coming and when they do, people will stop playing GW2 inevittably.

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

I’m only interested in two specializations and auto-looting mastery, so it’s safe to say I scoffed at 50 dollar expansion price. But I will still check out sPVP, complain about my WvW server and waggle my fist about getting a free transfer(since I paid 1800 to move and my server ranked up and is now trapped forever as a punching bag), and playing some world events.

And I have supported the game, I’ve given around 60 bucks since I joined in January, and I’m just not comfortable giving another 50 more at this time. If I had been playing from release I’m sure I’d not scoff at the 3 years of entertainment I received. But I think the 60 I already paid fairly generous for the amount of time I’ve played.

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

I’m sorry, I thought this thread was for people who were still playing GW2 but did not purchase HoT. Not people who were not playing GW2 and not purchasing HoT.

Example post:

I like doing the special seasonal/limited time events. I basically log in just to do Halloween, Dragon Ball, Wintersday, Crown Pav, etc.. etc… because I like that content. None of that content is in HoT so I do not want to buy HoT.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

While I do have the expansion I will still most definitely be adventuring in core Tyria, both as a mentor for newbies and to work on other Tyrian mastery tracks

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

If you didn’t buy the expansion yet, DON’T…save your money, you can see from all the thread that its one big pile of mess. It’s very frustrating, boring, grindy and gated, not worth the $50. I have gone back to Tyria, I just can’t stand the new area anymore.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

I decided to skip the expansion as soon as I heard $50 price and bizarre content structure. It did not sound like it was up my alley.

I’ll see what they do in a few years or whenever they can get another try at expansion out… that’s pretty much where I am because there’s not really anything I want to do in the game right now.

I could check in at holidays but even that isn’t going so well… Lunatic Inquisition disappeared. :p

Posted by: McViolin.8547

McViolin.8547

I’m only interested in two specializations and auto-looting mastery, so it’s safe to say I scoffed at 50 dollar expansion price.

The auto loot is something they should have just added as a free QoL update instead. Now I’m not going to be surprised if they add build templates, that it’ll be hidden behind some paywall and gated in some way.

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

Yeah it’s turned out kinda strange. I’m one of those funny players who (usually) get their joy of leveling up. It was fun in WoW, interactive in Swotor – way before the first xpac, though – and after a reset of the whole MMO setting fun here in GW2 (as I finally managed to get two charas into the high 70s). Yet from what I’ve read so far grinding for mastery points reminds me somehow – without any prior research – of Diablo 3’s paragon system, which I found terribly boring to focus as a main task while playing.

Posted by: AVOCADO DREAM.2716

AVOCADO DREAM.2716

I will not be buying HoT and I will not be continuing GW2. I’m a WvW player. That’s what I like to do. The fact that they locked the elite specs behind a grind wall has turned me away. I don’t want to grind so that I can have fun in WvW. I don’t want to grind all the specs so that I can know that I chose the right one. Whoever made that design decision failed on so many levels for so many players. I, for one, won’t be giving Anet any more money (spent over $1000 on vanilla GW2) until I know they have heard the concerns of players like myself.

inb4 “Oh it doesn’t take that long, I got it on my <insert class here that they played for an inordinate amount of time> after just 12 straight hours of playing” or “oh you just want everything for free ayylmao”

For those ignorant kittens: not everyone has the time that you do to pour into all of your characters. Not everyone plays the game the same way you do and gets rewarded for the same actions. I’m glad you enjoy it, but try to think outside of your own view for once. Honestly, think about what kind of decision it is to lock core class mechanics behind any sort of grind wall. It seems pretty obvious why it’s there…

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Should it be because you do not believe in preordering, prefer adopting the “Wait and see” option, are not interested in HoT (yet ?) or straight up cannot afford it, is there any “Core”, or F2P players who will keep running around GW2 without the xpac ? And if yes, what will you be doing ?

I don’t believe in pre-ordering. Yes, there are incentives to do so but I would rather see what others are saying before jumping in.

I won’t be buying HoT unless they change some stuff – I PvE solo for the most part (and yes, I’ve heard all the arguments about MMO etc) because that’s what I enjoy the most. I don’t like grinding, I don’t like being forced to group and I don’t like being one shotted – these are all things discouraging my purchase of the expac which seems to be what a lot of folks are saying at the moment.

So, it’s core Tyria only for me and is that such a bad thing? No, not at all. I still love GW2 but it really isn’t on my radar to “upgrade”, as it were. As to what I’ll be doing, it’s harvesting to get my tradeskills up, may be some daily’s, general running around and the hope that one day I’ll get my Legendary. Oh, and craft some ascended stuff.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

(edited by Flatley.1620)

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Should it be because you do not believe in preordering, prefer adopting the “Wait and see” option, are not interested in HoT (yet ?) or straight up cannot afford it, is there any “Core”, or F2P players who will keep running around GW2 without the xpac ? And if yes, what will you be doing ?

Logging in for daily rewards and trying to do more than 30mins of WvW before logging off because the map on a T1 server has been empty this weekend.

I don’t preorder, definitely a let others waste their money and look for reviews kind of guy. I’ve taken all things into account and given the expansion a value I would be comfortable in paying, when it hits that price point I may buy if something else hasn’t released that is more appealing to me.

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

I was going to wait until the price was reasonable. After seeing what Anet decided to do to the game for people that have not purchased HoT yet I am probably not going to buy it at all; So, yes I am playing for now, my guild will probably be a bit more wealthy soon though.

Posted by: Iridium.6385

Iridium.6385

I’m not buying HoT because I don’t want to pay for the core game… AGAIN. I know that Anet are trying to attract new players, I can understand that. But come on, what about us? Were we paying for nothing all these years? The package costs €45, the expansion itself €20 at most (all the angry reviews considered it might be much less). I am just going to wait until the expansion starts to cost like a godkitten expansion.

Posted by: saniok.8702

saniok.8702

Wow haha, now you’re gonna get dictated about what not to talk about, nice way to run things. Negative feedback is silenced feedback and all that right?

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

Well now that it’s been out a bit and i can see from in game and forums on how it is atm

Story Gating
Spec Gateing
Map Gateing
None solo over world – turn every thing into a JP
amount of new weapons/armor = joke

Basically they seem to have killed the game i am not seeing any one doing the H events for the last 2 days i seen maybe 1 small group in the labyrinth only 2 times in over 15hrs of gaming sure you might say well there all doing HOT .. nope to many post on it being empty as well

They seem to want to remove the casuals – the bigger part of the player base -
no ideal why ..

But hey if you can fix this stuff by the end of the month i would probably buy it

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

Yes, I’ll still play old stuff. I have no interest in mushroom jumping and all, so really the expansion is not for me since such things are integral to everything in the expansion ( you need all the masteries to unlock hero points and such). There s nothing in it for me.

I’ll just tinker about in the “old” game on a few characters.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I came back to the game BECAUSE of the HoT hype.
Then it got delayed for almost 8 months during which I had to experience live one low blow after the other delivered to the core game, that I payed good money for at launch and buying gems afterwards.

After culminating in the total F2P bonanza and subsequent gutting of any meaningful rewards for core game gameplay, I did not buy HoT.

I just witnessed how AhrrnaNet treated my former investment, so why I should again beLIEve the hype of how awesome and full of content HöT will be.

Now I´m hardly bothering to get the daily log in rewards and will probably soon throw the game of my SSD or simply delete it outright.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Bandini.6185

Bandini.6185

I had thought I would keep playing, though not buying HoT, But I’m not sure anymore.

On my main account, I wanted to finish 2 legendaries, map exploration on several characters, reach the cap for daily achievements, and most of all play in WvW. Besides, I thought I would continue having fun with my f2p account and try WvW on a international server (my main is on a french one).

But I really hate the new WvW map and the new mechanisms, plus the fact they destroyed all the guild WvW bonuses for those not buying HoT.

I guess I will see in a few weeks if I decide to stay or not.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I guess I will add that locking the thread regarding guild availability is another good reason I will NEVER buy HoT. It is a valid issue, and the thread is locked with no reason given. Tell me again, Gaile, that it is not logical for me to assume your employer does not care.

Posted by: markot.3946

markot.3946

Probably not. I got a refund for HOT a few days before launch. It doesnt look worth the money at all and just seems to take the game backwards in a lot of ways, and based on what ive heard it seems like I made a good decision.

The new WVW maps are pretty terrible, just more silly things added for no reason that just get in the way of what you are there for, fighting other players. (Which pretty much sums up how I feel about the game these days, lots of stuff added for no real reason that dont enhance the fun of it, new leveling systems, new grinds, new currencies, new…. etc… just adding stuff doesnt make the game more fun.)

I doubt I will play it much anymore. Kind of sucks after all the time I put into the game, but I feel the same way I did when wow started tinkering with things to ‘make it better’. Each time it just got worse.

And now Anet is trying to force people into playing their way just like blizz did with raiding.

If you dont like pve, there isnt much for you. And if you do like pve, you better enjoy grinding systems put in place to artificially extend the content and make it feel like you got $50 worth of content.

I guess this is what happens when you realise you want to make an expansions 2 years into a games life and need to figure out ways to justify it.

(Its pretty telling that the first halloween event was by far and away the best one, and theyve all been pale imitations since that are hardly worth the time)

Oh well. Its sad to leave but I guess thats that.

Posted by: Lutete.5379

Lutete.5379

I’ll still play GW2 without purchasing HoT. I did the same thing with GW1, and didn’t purchase any expansions until a few months after Nightfall was released. I mainly pvp, but if it gets to the point where I need HoT to be more effective in pvp, then I’ll purchase the expansion. That’s pretty much the same reason on why I bought the GW1 expansions back in the day.

Posted by: Stelakh.2136

Stelakh.2136

I fall into a grey area when it comes to, “If you didn’t buy it…”

I didn’t. I have two accounts, one on the American server and one on the European server, because I have friends on both continents (and servers) and I want to play with them all.

A friend of mine on the American server gave me HoT, so I have it, but didn’t buy it. I do not have it on the European server – and I’m not going to.

Having played the last Beta weekend, and then played since its subsequent launch, I have absolutely no interest in buying HoT on my European server account. I think it is, frankly, terrible, and if anyone wants to know why, I’ve commented on that in another thread (just click my profile and you’ll find the thread).

And it’s highly unlikely that I’ll continue to play the core game on the European server.

First, the account on the European server has been around since Guild Wars 2 launched. I’ve leveled a few characters up to 80, done everything except PvP and WvW (because I have no interest in PvP), and honestly the game doesn’t feel differently enough between classes for me to have any impetus to level multiple characters to 80.

That leaves me with nothing new or different to do in the core game (aside from Mastery that I don’t care enough about to do it all over again).

There’s a small core of that guild still here who hasn’t gone off to other games out of boredom. And this weekend was the first time I haven’t even bothered to log in to play with them at all in quite some time.

As it stands, I still have friends who play on the American server, and I’ll still log in to play with them, but even that is becoming less frequent as we all start to find other games to play together.

So there it is. 1) On the American server I have HoT, don’t like it and my game play in core relies on whether or not my friends are in and playing; and 2) On the European server I don’t have HoT, won’t buy it, and my game play in core has fallen off to near not playing at all.

(And, Gaile, remember years ago a conversation about Ralph Vaughan Williams during Wintersday in Kamadan with some random guy (not sure why you would LOL)? Hi.)

Posted by: Auralae.7482

Auralae.7482

I was in a “wait and see” mode because I didn’t feel there was enough content in HoT that was of interest to me to justify the price tag. My plan was to wait and see if it was more amazing than suspected or wait until the price dropped to about $30. If the reviews in the first days had been great, I think I would have gone ahead and purchased at full price. I have had a lot of hours of fun with the core game and don’t begrudge giving Anet money. I have two paid accounts of my own, plus 3 more for family members and we’ve made gem store purchases. Three of those accounts are over 3 years old and the other 2 from beginning of this year, so we’ve been playing a while. My kids did prepurchase HoT with their own funds to get into beta. One is mostly happy with it, although a little frustrated by the champs at hero point and some of the gates to content. The other really hasn’t done much with it. I’m sad he wasted his money on it.

On the other 3 accounts, we are definitely not buying HoT unless there are changes that make it worthwhile for small guilds (5 who might never all be on at the same time) and for people who like to solo or just get on and play for short periods at a time. I think the price still needs to come down too, since we’re back to $50 and no character slot for people who bought the core game.

I still plan to keep playing and am running Halloween content. However, with all the nerfs to non-HoT guilds, dungeons, salvaging, etc. I am feeling a bit jaded. Taking things away from players to try and force them to buy new content is a bad practice imo.

(edited by Auralae.7482)

Posted by: Eccron.7641

Eccron.7641

At the moment I am so glad that I didn’t prepurchase HoT. I will continue playing the core game for a bit, although some decisions of Anet seem really weird. So I will wait and see if HoT will be worth my money. At the moment the price seems way too high!