Are some HoT things gated behind LS2?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Q:

In a discussion someone said that they have to finish the Living Story 2 before they can unlock all of the HoT things for their characters.

Now I have one character I’ve taken through the entire Living Story and finished it before HoT launched. Does that mean that my other characters and my new revenant have to complete the Living Story 2 in order to unlock parts of HoT ??

I did a search but could not find anything definitive on this question.

I really do not want to repeat stories I have already completed on my main. Its just not fun to redo things. If the story was different for each profession, that would be different.

Posted by: XxXTheMaxxXxX.6057

XxXTheMaxxXxX.6057

You do not. When HoT launched I insta leveled my revenant to 80 and did the personal story with him.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

What Maxx said. LS2 gives the best experience from a story continuity point of view. It is not required. You can never play through the PS, LS1, LS2 and still play HoT without restriction.

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

Whoever said that was probably referring to Central Tyria Mastery Points. IIRC, a significant number of them are given out for completing the LW2 story steps.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Whoever said that was probably referring to Central Tyria Mastery Points. IIRC, a significant number of them are given out for completing the LW2 story steps.

Tyria Mastery is part of the HoT expansion. So, yes, LS2 is required for some HoT features.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

What Maxx said. LS2 gives the best experience from a story continuity point of view. It is not required. You can never play through the PS, LS1, LS2 and still play HoT without restriction.

Seems like this might cause a problem for folks who came in new and purchased HoT but did not get the other stories. I remember coming back in before the end of LS2 and used my extra gems to open that up for my main so I could finish it before HoT dropped.

But I don’t think that is an option for new folks with only the HoT purchase. So how will they get some of the “restricted” things if they can’t access the LS2?

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

Seems like this might cause a problem for folks who came in new and purchased HoT but did not get the other stories. I remember coming back in before the end of LS2 and used my extra gems to open that up for my main so I could finish it before HoT dropped.

But I don’t think that is an option for new folks with only the HoT purchase. So how will they get some of the “restricted” things if they can’t access the LS2?

Either convert gold to gems or buy gems and unlock LS2 in their story panel.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Again, nothing is restricted. You can have skipped all 3 previous stories and it has no impact on your play through of HoT. You just wont know the characters and NPCs very well.