Are there really only 9 new sets of armor?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

So I was looking through the Account Vault & I can only find 3 new sets of armor per weight. this can’t be right..

I know there are some back pieces & some scattered specialization parts, but there can’t really only be this paltry number..

I mean Factions more than doubled the number of armor sets. the game launched with about 100 sets of armor.. I figured they would at least try to raise the number by about %50 for a full expansion.. Factions raised it by more that %100. HoT is a about a %9 increase. that can’t be right?

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Factions only had to make sets of armor for humans. Here they need to make 5x that.

In reality, they have added 45 new armor sets.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Factions is a completely different thing from HoT.

1. Factions was a campaign, meant to be completely standalone.

2. It was built on a simpler engine (read less advanced) and thus took less time and resources to develop new 3D content.

3. In Factions, they only had to develop new armor to fit one race, humans, and all armors only had to be optimized to fit the animations of a specific class that only had a certain set of class-specific animations.

Factions and HoT cannot be compared. The situations and structure of the two are completely different. You might as well be comparing Pac Man to Asteroids.

Posted by: Freeelancer.2860

Freeelancer.2860

Don’t worry OP, I’m sure we’ll get a bunch of outfits which people will buy, try and forget about one week later…

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Meanwhile, in WvW, everyone will still run the same human cultural T3 armor they hae had for years.

DarksunG.9537

2. It was built on a simpler engine (read less advanced) and thus took less time and resources to develop new 3D content.

3. In Factions, they only had to develop new armor to fit one race, humans, and all armors only had to be optimized to fit the animations of a specific class that only had a certain set of class-specific animations.

Factions and HoT cannot be compared. The situations and structure of the two are completely different. You might as well be comparing Pac Man to Asteroids.

Anet had half the # of employees when they made Factions, they made it way less time & Factions had to make a new set for every class, not just 3 types modified for body types. (especially when the only real modifications are for Charr & asura & the system may even be automated by the look of the quality on the Charr) So yes, it can be compared. & no, it doesn’t always add up.

Posted by: Selkirk.4218

Selkirk.4218

yeah dis aint good. 2 sets and very conservative for all weights..well one of the sets (i think medium) has a diaper…might be good for fetishists.

DarksunG.9537

Yeah, they’re already selling new outfits.. They definitely put a tiny in the expac on purpose.. Pretty brutal.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

From a post I made on June 25th: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Is-GW2-Becoming-F2P/first#post5210528

* “My concern now is instead of getting glider skins and weapons and armor sets to earn in the x-pac that we are paying money for, we are gonna be paying for the x-pac and they will release a bunch of stuff on the gem shop instead of it being earn-able in game. With how they have been handling stuff lately, that doesn’t seem altogether an unreasonable educated guess as to how things are going to go down and it’s disappointing.”*

There should be a lot of armor skins, weapon skins and glider skins in the x-pac to earn. Lots. Like as many as were in the base game at launch. That’s not an unreasonable expectation. I don’t pay money to play only then to pay more more to get items. There should be rewards and rewards that don’t incur a gem shop with conversion tax on top of it. Hopefully they will add in lots of armor, glider, and weapon skins that the players can unlock by just playing. The players already paid the money for the content. They shouldn’t be double-dipped. That’s just rude.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

DarksunG.9537

From a post I made on June 25th: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Is-GW2-Becoming-F2P/first#post5210528

* “My concern now is instead of getting glider skins and weapons and armor sets to earn in the x-pac that we are paying money for, we are gonna be paying for the x-pac and they will release a bunch of stuff on the gem shop instead of it being earn-able in game. With how they have been handling stuff lately, that doesn’t seem altogether an unreasonable educated guess as to how things are going to go down and it’s disappointing.”*

There should be a lot of armor skins, weapon skins and glider skins in the x-pac to earn. Lots. Like as many as were in the base game at launch. That’s not an unreasonable expectation. I don’t pay money to play only then to pay more more to get items. There should be rewards and rewards that don’t incur a gem shop with conversion tax on top of it. Hopefully they will add in lots of armor, glider, and weapon skins that the players can unlock by just playing. The players already paid the money for the content. They shouldn’t be double-dipped. That’s just rude.

Yeah, the fact that they start off the expac selling us armor skins when there are is such a painfully anemic amount in game is pretty harsh.

Posted by: Sengel.7801

Sengel.7801

Anet had half the # of employees when they made Factions, they made it way less time & Factions had to make a new set for every class, not just 3 types modified for body types. (especially when the only real modifications are for Charr & asura & the system may even be automated by the look of the quality on the Charr) So yes, it can be compared. & no, it doesn’t always add up.

Apparently you’ve never created a 3d model.

In the GW2 engine, armor must be hand rigged to each and every body type (so 5-6 per gender per race). an “automated” version would look terrible because of little differences between races (humans have longer legs than norn, sylvari dimensions don’t match up with humans…etc) so each of these needs to be done by hand in order to get the aesthetics right.

thirdly, they’re only required to make max level armor (not any starting armor) which has the assumption by the community to look “epic” so that’s even more modeling and rigging.

Yes the team size has doubled but the work has far more than doubled ( 1 body type per armor * 10 professions * 2 genders or 20 separate models to rig to 10 body types * 5 races * 3 armor classes * 2 genders or 150 separate models to rig , and the complexity of the armors have gone up so that rigging takes way more time)

lastly, true armor sets need to not clip with existing armor pieces, see light vigil pants with seer shoes for an example of this not working, so you have to go in and verify with every race (5) every body type(10) and every piece of armor (way too many to count) and every animation (too many to count) to make sure that it doesn’t clip that bad, and yes the current amount of clipping is “not that bad” compared to just slapping that stuff on.

This is the real reason that we’ve gotten so few new “armor sets” (not outfits as they don’t have to jive well with existing armors) and so many new weapons (since they’re fairly simple to avoid clipping). The inclusion of them in to the bltc as opposed to the open world reflects the sheer amount of man hours (I’d guess somewhere around 2 weeks for 2 artists PER armor set)

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

As a medical professional, your misuse of “Anemic” is painful to look at.

DarksunG.9537

As a medical professional, your misuse of “Anemic” is painful to look at.

adjective
Pathology. suffering from anemia.
lacking power, vigor, vitality, or colorfulness; listless; weak:
an anemic effort; anemic tones.

So yes, the amount of armor sets is weak. the effort was anemic.

Apparently you’ve never created a 3d model.

In the GW2 engine, armor must be hand rigged to each and every body type (so 5-6 per gender per race). an “automated” version would look terrible because of little differences between races (humans have longer legs than norn, sylvari dimensions don’t match up with humans…etc) so each of these needs to be done by hand in order to get the aesthetics right.

thirdly, they’re only required to make max level armor (not any starting armor) which has the assumption by the community to look “epic” so that’s even more modeling and rigging.

Yes the team size has doubled but the work has far more than doubled ( 1 body type per armor * 10 professions * 2 genders or 20 separate models to rig to 10 body types * 5 races * 3 armor classes * 2 genders or 150 separate models to rig , and the complexity of the armors have gone up so that rigging takes way more time)

lastly, true armor sets need to not clip with existing armor pieces, see light vigil pants with seer shoes for an example of this not working, so you have to go in and verify with every race (5) every body type(10) and every piece of armor (way too many to count) and every animation (too many to count) to make sure that it doesn’t clip that bad, and yes the current amount of clipping is “not that bad” compared to just slapping that stuff on.

This is the real reason that we’ve gotten so few new “armor sets” (not outfits as they don’t have to jive well with existing armors) and so many new weapons (since they’re fairly simple to avoid clipping). The inclusion of them in to the bltc as opposed to the open world reflects the sheer amount of man hours (I’d guess somewhere around 2 weeks for 2 artists PER armor set)

I’ve made many, & anyone who is going to make that many sets for diff bodies is going to set it up to have as little work to do as possible. they aren’t going to be pulling verts around 1 at a time. Similar to the FFXIV automated armor system that tapered & rolled armor(though the GW2 system isn’t as good). You can even see where the cage yanks out the skirts on Charr.
In GW1 each of the classes has diff proportions & shapes, they didn’t modify existing sets they had to make entirely new ones from the ground up. Everything else you said applies to GW1 as well. (also they contracted a bunch of models in GW1 & 2) This just sounds like excuses. The one thing I’d concede is that these models require Normals & Spec. But that doesn’t explain why they could launch with 100 & think 9 is normal for an entire expac. But the fact that they sold an outfit on day 1 is enough to explain things.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I don’t really think the “well, armor sets take a really long time to make” excuse flies at this point.

Prior to the advent of outfits, they were putting out 3 new armor sets every couple of months for the Gem Store.

Going by that rate, we got roughly 6 months worth of armor skin development time for HoT at most (and that’s assuming they were putting the previous armor skins out as fast as they could make them), and considering how long HoT supposedly took to make and how pretty much the entire team was focused on it, that does indeed seem pretty bare bones.

DarksunG.9537

I don’t really think the “well, armor sets take a really long time to make” excuse flies at this point.

Prior to the advent of outfits, they were putting out 3 new armor sets every couple of months for the Gem Store.

Going by that rate, we got roughly 6 months worth of armor skin development time for HoT at most (and that’s assuming they were putting the previous armor skins out as fast as they could make them), and considering how long HoT supposedly took to make and how pretty much the entire team was focused on it, that does indeed seem pretty bare bones.

Yeah, that pretty much says it all..

I mean, people keep complaining about rewards & Anet keeps trying to fill the void with new Mats to grind for that 1 back piece or something. meanwhile all the actual rewards are locked behind paywalls & gambling & they wonder why people aren’t happy with rewards…

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

I’ve been running with my T3 sylvari cultural outfit for years. Doesn’t seem like I can replace it with this expansion either.

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

Not sure where you are getting your definitions from but…

“Anemia is a condition in which you don’t have enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to your tissues. "

Which makes no sense with the context of armor skins.

DarksunG.9537

“Anemia is a condition in which you don’t have enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to your tissues. "

dictonary.com, vocabulary.com, thefreedictionary.com, google definitions, yourdictionary.com, Merriam Webster? You’re in the medical profession & you’ve only ever heard of the pathological definition of Anemic? That’s highly unlikely.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

The bladed medium armor looks great

Leyline armor I think is the legendary it’s just ok.

What’s the third?

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

Dude he’s talking about the adjective “Anemic”, not the noun. It’s a very commonly used term in this meaning, more so I would say than when pertaining to the medical condition anemia. I mean, unless you think Webster’s is ‘obscure and unauthoritative’ then I have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you not from North America?

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I really hope people are proven wrong and there will be a lot of content coming with HoT. I want to get new looks. I love the game, but if I start to feel cheated, I’ll turn away from this game. I’ve done it with friends, I can easily do it with a video game. Hopefully, in our journey in the heart of Maguma we will discover tons of unique skins and when you see a player walk by, you may be able to tell how much he explored the jungle based on his armor. I have already seen some proof of this, so I’m optimistic. At this point, this expac will determine if I buy another in the future. Like I stopped playing blizzard games. (Most have really sucked as of late. I enjoy them, but they are big rip-offs.)

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

The same armor between races already looks terrible exactly because it’s automated. It’s “less bad” for the races that look more like human beings, but a lot of armors look incredibly bad on Charrs and on the asura. It’s obvious those armors are automated already.

lastly, true armor sets need to not clip with existing armor pieces, see light vigil pants with seer shoes for an example of this not working

As you have mentioned yourself, ArenaNet almost never bothers with that in the first place. There is already a lot of clipping in this game. There is an obscene amount of clipping between any medium armor and off hand items, for example.

Honestly, there isn’t much to say here: we all know HoT has been very rushed so it would be expected that it would be released with very few armor skins and few weapon sets. But releasing a new outfit at the same time they’re releasing the expansion, while charing 2000 gems for it by hiding it under a pack, is basically spitting on the players’ face.

We are very much aware that ArenaNet has added more to the Gem Store over a similar time frame than they have added to HoT, skin-wise. This clearly shows ArenaNet’s priorities.

DarksunG.9537

We are very much aware that ArenaNet has added more to the Gem Store over a similar time frame than they have added to HoT, skin-wise. This clearly shows ArenaNet’s priorities.

Yeah. If they are only putting in 3 sets for each armor weight, then start the expac by selling an outfit, then it’s all about priorities. It’s pretty frustrating when they talk about paying for gem store items to fuel the gem store, then when a full priced expac comes out, they add almost nothing.

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

Yeah. If they are only putting in 3 sets for each armor weight, then start the expac by selling an outfit, then it’s all about priorities. It’s pretty frustrating when they talk about paying for gem store items to fuel the gem store, then when a full priced expac comes out, they add almost nothing.

I felt trolled when I saw this on Dulfy – I mean for kittens sake couldn’t they lock the sticky fingered Economists in a room for just a week or so before they start trying to grab MORE money?!

Its like – ‘hey guys we arnt making armor for the Gem store any more armor gaining as ALL about normal game play’
2 years later ’ err can we have more than 3 armor choices please? ive just seen the 30th outfit advertised in the store…’
~crickets

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

i’m actually pleasantly surprised there’s that many….was honestly expecting less.

9 is a decent amount considering having to deal w/ racial body differences and clipping issues with other armor sets

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Good Tofu.9376

Good Tofu.9376

Anyone have pictures of these 2 new armor sets?

DarksunG.9537

i’m actually pleasantly surprised there’s that many….was honestly expecting less.

9 is a decent amount considering having to deal w/ racial body differences and clipping issues with other armor sets

how on earth is make 1/10th the number of sets in the launch game even slightly normal? I’m gobsmacked at how insultingly low that number is.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Like I said before the release, there will be plenty more in the gem store guys, crack out those wallets again.

Posted by: Brutal Augus.5917

Brutal Augus.5917

This expansion has been in development for one year at the least, two at the most. The content released is but a very small fraction of what the base game is, considering how many armor types were made during the creation of the base game along with everything else content/UI/ gameplay related (2007-2012) it is more than doable to have put more in. I would guess they purposely did not include everything they have designed at once rather than it being to difficult to do in the amount of time they took. I’m sure they will release more. I just wouldn’t expect anything outside of the gem store…But before chastising the entirety of arena net for grabbing at your wallet/purses, consider two things. Business and Employment. Most everyone with a job has a boss of some sort. Sometimes you have to do things/make decisions you don’t want to to retain said employment. I’m sure that there are employees that wanted to give us more, just as I am sure there are superiors to those individuals that want to gross more revenue this year by stretching content into gem store products. Also, you really can’t expect a successful business of any sort even if not a gaming company to be more concerned with your satisfaction over selling the product. Not saying all business is evil. You might know many small or local businesses in your area that treat you well because you actually interact with them. We do not actually interact with arena net on a daily or even somewhat daily basis. Not physically anyway, therefore they have little obligation to even acknowledge your discontent, you’d be lucky to get a red post here and even then they might be the janitor for all you know. This also happens to be a game that they have every right to do as they please with. Once they have your money you can eat a kitten, because the employees at arena net that really enjoy their job creating the games most of us are addicted to and want us to enjoy will probably not get their way. Instead, their superiors will make the decisions and they will do as they are told not complaining because in the end it made them all as a company more money. I cannot honestly put myself in their shoes and say I would dispute it. How can I? I have two kids. Hell yeah I want more money. Its the same for me in my workplace. It may not be moral. It may not be right. It just is.

I’m sure you will get more armor. So long as you are willing to pay for it.

[varX] Limitless Potential

(edited by Brutal Augus.5917)

DarksunG.9537

I’m sure you will get more armor. So long as you are willing to pay for it.

That’s the whole problem. We payed for an expansion. We got a small amount of content/map. an arguably average to slightly above average amount of features & almost no new skins. This doesn’t equal the price. & now you;re saying that we should be ok with paying even more.