Are we "forced" to "chose" the elite spec ?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Aodlop.1907

Aodlop.1907

I mean, is the elite spec way more efficient that any of the other spec choices that we could make ?
As a warrior, should I remove on of my current spec to take berzerk and change my playstyle to keep being efficient, per exemple ?
Being a casual player, I don’t know much about this

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

Depends on the profession. For Warrior no. For Mesmer yes, because all the fixes that should’ve went into the Mesmer went into the Chronomancer instead.

But seriously, play it yourself and see how you feel.

Posted by: Aodlop.1907

Aodlop.1907

Thank you for your answer !

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

It also depends on circumstances. For example, while I mostly agree with embolism, there is at least one circumstance where I think the Mesmer is ill served in taking Chronomancer. That is when you want to run a build where phantasms are your primary means of assault there are four other trait lines that serve such a builds better. However, that really is something of an exception.

I imagine the same is true for the other profession.

Posted by: soakman.7539

soakman.7539

Yeh, just try it out. If you aren’t comfortable taking the new spec, then don’t. The new specs are diversity options, not full-on upgrades. If you prefer your old way of playing, stick to it.

I recommend everyone try to switch things up now and then just to become more familiar with what a profession is capable of, but DO YOU.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

I play warrior and in my opinion the new warrior spec is not all that good
From a PvE perspective the rage ability is good but most of the skills remain the same
i love the longbow burst skill and the skills wild blow and sundering leap is good
the rest is not even worth taking the elite skill is pathetic
It stun YOU its a melee skill that only hit 1 target and this is an elite.

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

with guardian, dragonhunter is almost a needed thing. Procession of blades and LB 4 is really good for burn guardian, and longbow 2 is the best spike damage that guardian has. Things even out if you want to run a medi build or something similar, but it is mostly required to have a longbow primary for either build

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

definitely depends on the class and the content. Hammer on my scrapper is definitely a power weapon and has some nice stuns and things that make the new maps easier, but high level fractals and probably raids will want me taking a viper pistol/pistol condi build.

Posted by: Verenhimo.3296

Verenhimo.3296

It hugely depends on your class, but ones I can tell you that are almost near mandatory are Herald for Rev, Chronomancer for Mesmer & Dragonhunter for Guardian.

These ones either offer huge QoL fixes to the classes core problems or are just straight power creep, you can also argue Reaper for Necro but only if you’re interested in power builds.

Posted by: gricks.1897

gricks.1897

Elite specs are good, but they really are only a new play style. I enjoy the LB on my Dragonhunter, but I can easily get by without it. It completely depends on the style of play you use, and your own skill level.

The Wrecking Krewe[NYE] – [Maguuma] Arum Bloodclaw

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

The shroud in Reaper is much better than regular shroud for necro IMO.

Posted by: Texas Jack.6852

Texas Jack.6852

I despise the Dragonhunter and continue to stick with my current Guardian build. Not only is it not mandatory, I actually prefer it. It’s good that people like the new Specs but to say it’s required is not true. They unlock new things but they can drastically change your play style. Going from a ranged Thief to a melee Daredevil is quite different. Its the same with Necro’s and Reaper. If you don’t like being up in the face of battle, it’s not going to be for you. The new zones are fine with traditional builds, however, you will have to adjust to new monster AIs, which can be a challenge with any build.

You may also run into a gear set issue. If you don’t have any condition gear, your Warrior may see less damage running as a Berserker which focuses heavily on burns, so you may want to switch. But don’t destroy your old gear as you may find Berserker is not really for you and you will want to switch back. They have also added new stat gear so you may find something that is better anyway.

Summary: No, they are not required, but you should try it to see if you like it.

Posted by: octagon.6504

octagon.6504

Does depend on the class. Some work really well with the new builds, some work well as hybrids, others do just as good or better with their old builds. Plus the way stuff is getting nerfed it may be best to let the dust settle first.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

There is different things you need to take into consideration.

First and foremost the new Elites are new and shiny which means players are naturally going to gravitate towards them because it’s not the same thing they have been playing for the last 3 years. It doesn’t mean the specs are better (they are in some cases but not all) it just means we get to revitalize our interest in a class.

Next is what mode do you mainly play. A lot of people are saying DH is almost mandatory, this might be true for PvE but is not the case for WvW or SPvP. It really does matter what game mode you intend to focus on.

Finally, all the old spec are still playable and viable. Engineer for example as someone mentioned the Scrapper is a power build and gives you the Melee option and is a very capable spec but when Raids finally hit I wouldn’t be surprised to see Scrappers take a back seat to Viper P/P Engi’s.

So in short, no you are not forced, some will function better in different game modes. You see everyone running the new Elites because they are new and refreshing.