ArenaNet Overthinking it with these Names

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

I swear ArenaNet stop overthinking it with these names.

I am an MMO vet since Ultima Online and I have to say these have to be the worst names I have ever seen for classes. These take the cake. How hard would it have been to give the Guardian a cool name like Crusader? Or the Thief a Monk name?

Daredevil makes everyone think of “Evel” Knievel.

Its not too late. Come on.

And now “Forge” for engineers? What? A forge is an object. Brutal…

(edited by darkwombat.3695)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Dwayna forbid Anet for trying to do something different and come up with their own names.

Posted by: cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

Totally lost my kittens when they came up with dragonhunter, its the worst xD, i like chronomancer cause its a word you don’t hear too often and has a cool ring to it, but the rest? Good god whatever where they smoking :’)

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

Dwayna forbid Anet for trying to do something different and come up with their own names.

Coming up with their own names is fine. They have done good in the past with Dervish, etc. But these names are not only bad, they dont make sense, and sound stupid.

Posted by: Avador.8934

Avador.8934

Totally lost my kittens when they came up with dragonhunter, its the worst xD, i like chronomancer cause its a word you don’t hear too often and has a cool ring to it, but the rest? Good god whatever where they smoking :’)

Reaper is cool too.

I am lazy to write it over and over. So sorry for my English.

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

Ugh.
The names have 0 impact on how the classes perform.

And I’m sure people would be raging if ArenaNet put simple and common names on the new elite specs.

Like,“Monk” or “Assassin” – People would be like “OMG CTRL +C CTRL +V REALLY ANET?????” “LOL SO ORIGINAL”

Stop hating on Dragonhunter and Daredevil,at least they are original. Or kind of original,it is pretty much impossible to be original in the Internet these days. Everything has already been created or used in other things. At least Arenanet picks the less common names instead of boring “Crusader” (people would say ArenaNet got it from Diablo 3: RoS) or “Wizard” or something like that.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

lulwut?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daredevil_%28Marvel_Comics%29

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: WindGodGirl.6405

WindGodGirl.6405

The word and meaning behind “Daredevil” existed before that comic, you know.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

So what? There is nothing original at all about any class names in nearly all mmo games.

I’ve never played an mmo with a daredevil. The names cool as it stands out. Just think of the warrior. What mmo doesn’t have a warrior. They are just elite specs with names. The name simply doesn’t matter

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I am an MMO vet since Ultima Online and I have to say these have to be the worst names I have ever seen for classes. These take the cake. How hard would it have been to give the Guardian a cool name like Crusader? Or the Thief a Monk name?

FORGE is not final, and is probably not what they’re going with.
But really? Daredevil didn’t make you think of the comic book character AT ALL?

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Ayrilana.1396

lulwut?

As stated already, Marvel did not create the phrase “Daredevil”.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

The Engineer elite spec will be called “Engineer Elite Spec.”

But I agree, “Daredevil” sounds dumb, as did Dragon Hunter (which should have been Avenger). From the sounds of it, the Daredevil just should have been “Monk” or “Traveler.”

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

I like the new names. They are not as overused (and thus generic) as in other games.

Calling the Guardian elite spec “Crusader” or the one of the Thief “Monk” would have been the most uninspired way of naming the elite specs . It’s so generic even your everyday forum poster could have come up with it.

Posted by: VocalThought.9835

VocalThought.9835

It’s funny. I was a strong supporter for changing Dragon Hunter’s name, but now it really I’m starting to like it. Daredevil is a cool name and so is Forge. I am glad they went a different route with the name selection, because its fits within their world and it’s different from what you’re use to. Plus they have ample time to put in more names that your familiar to with later additions to this game.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

The word and meaning behind “Daredevil” existed before that comic, you know.

And yet still had absolutely nothing to do with the theme of the thief’s specialization. In fact that comic is the only place I can think of where martial arts have ever been in any way associated with the term ‘daredevil’.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

lulwut?

LOl i laugh everytime i see the marvel charcter refrence . . .like people never have heard the term dare devil in their life.

It’s an actual word in the dictionary:
Daredevil – a reckless person who enjoys doing dangerous things.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I like daredevil. I like forge. yadda yadda

You can keep Dragon Hunter though. :C

Posted by: Buster.6137

Buster.6137

I think I have a few notes of importance.

First off, it’s important you understand that this is not the only time you get to expand your character with a new profession name. Just because you didn’t get the name you wanted this time around doesn’t mean you won’t get it later.

Here’s another aspect; the name needs to fit the elite specialization. You can’t judge Daredevil just yet, as we haven’t had enough information. For Dragon hunter you can ask yourself if for example Paragon (which I believe I’ve seen thrown around a few times) really fits the weapon type and the new skills.

I really enjoy how these names are truly unique and I think it makes a much better marketing strategy for Heart of Thorns. Throwing around name tropes when trying to advertise a new expansion may not be a good idea, especially since Heart of Thorns does not only give us one elite specialization per profession but introduces the whole system for the first time. The thing about these fantasy name tropes is that people already have a preconception about what they need to be. Either that be from GW1 or other MMOs.

Now I’m excited when it comes to Druid, since it seems that it’s a name you’d expect and it’s a fairly generic fantasy profession name.

All this said, it did take me a while to digest ‘Forge’. I think it’s simply because we feel very strongly about our main character professions and the progression they will get.

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

It’d have been perfectly OK not to give any of these new elite specializations any name. In fact, it’d be wise not to have names for the specializations for the long term.

Drop this naming madness. You can do ittttt!

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

lulwut?

LOl i laugh everytime i see the marvel charcter refrence . . .like people never have heard the term dare devil in their life.

It’s an actual word in the dictionary:
Daredevil – a reckless person who enjoys doing dangerous things.

Yes, obviously.

However, a careless thrill junkie =/= staff/baton wielding martial artist except when generally referring to the Marvel super hero and the name is alluding to the fact that he is performing actions that would be otherwise insane for a blind man to attempt.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I have to admit, when I heard the Berserker, I expected to see posts of, “Wut, bad enough we have a zerker meta…”

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

I must say i agree. The new names like dragonhunter, dare devil, tempest sound much too Marvel universe superheroes to me. Like the names Berserker, Druid, Revenant and Herald Though. Was a big fan of the gw 1 names like ritualist, paragon and Dervish btw.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What difference does it make why or how ANet decided on them? Isn’t it enough to say you don’t like the names?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Also not a fan..

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Loex.5104

Loex.5104

sorry but all i see in Dare Devil is
dirt devil

(edited by Loex.5104)

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Problem is you counter the devs lack of good names with your own lack of good names.

I mean, no one cries about Berserker and that is a lame name too. You could say its because Berserker is simple to which is countered by Daredevil being simple too.

Situation seems lose lose anyway you look at it.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I think the names is good. I was against Tempest though, when I heard some Guildmates say this i was like ‘yea, pshh… That’s just a stupid name people on the forums wants)’. I sulked for 2 seconds when I heard it realy was Tempest.

In my opinion Dragon Hunter is pretty fitting name and well not the best but it is far more better that most stupid names this Community had come up with like Crusader. Why do everyone think that Guardian is a holy knight fighting for gods honour and yadayada?

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Whenever I hear Crusader, it makes me think of ‘Crusader Rabbit’. Lol, yes, I am that old. Ha!

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Do we know if we spec into the elite specializations the name changes? Until now all my beta characters are called necro, guard etc. Does that change? I’d love to see lvl 80 Reaper etc.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: AuroraW.7149

AuroraW.7149

My only guardians are both Sylvari. The new ‘Dragonhunter’ gives them a neat twist, in the wake of HoT / Mordremoth showdown. :-) But I agree, the name itself is kind of lame …

Booga: I took the bullets out of their guns. That was smart, huh?
Tank Girl: Booga, that was very smart.
Gath Gealaich | Rémi Heltzer [GN] – Elona [D]

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Do we know if we spec into the elite specializations the name changes? Until now all my beta characters are called necro, guard etc. Does that change? I’d love to see lvl 80 Reaper etc.

No I think it is only the Specialization that is named that way. But I agree it would have been nice to see the class title to change

Posted by: symke.3105

symke.3105

Why even give new names? We already have them.
My Thief will not change simply because he will change weapons. He will still be the same Thief with the same skill, attitude, behavior and mistakes. Caption changes nothing.

But, of course, that is not enough for wannabees. They have the need to name themselves with more or less kitten names. Imagine the response if Thief with a staff would be called “Staffer” or something equally ridiculous? “No, I don’t wanna be staffer. It doesn’t sound cool and all my friends are making fun of me”.

I wonder how that will impact the game and it’s community? Will there be calls for classes or their specializations. How will LFG look?

Posted by: HaseKent.1843

HaseKent.1843

The Dragonhunter hunts the dragon. This is how anet get the name.
So when all the dragons die, Dragonhunter will just slack in one corner and play with their fingers. =)

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Has anyone yet realized the only reason we’re complaining about the spec names is that we’re not distracted enough by actually playing the spec to not care?

Like, when was the last time you complained about trait or skill names? You didn’t, because you didn’t care what they were called when you could just click the button and see how awesome or useless they were.

Once HoT releases, nobody will care what they’re called.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

EdgarMTanaka.7291

So when all the dragons die, Dragonhunter will just slack in one corner and play with their fingers. =)

This has been discussed over and over realy but… Dragon hunter does not only hunt dragons they also hunt what comes from the dragons so there is more than just dragons that they hunt. Second when Dragons are no more (If that would ever be) there is no more need for Dragonhunters and well they may as well be called dragonhunters becouse that is what they where or maby they find another Specialization :P

Has anyone yet realized the only reason we’re complaining about the spec names is that we’re not distracted enough by actually playing the spec to not care?

Like, when was the last time you complained about trait or skill names? You didn’t, because you didn’t care what they were called when you could just click the button and see how awesome or useless they were.

Once HoT releases, nobody will care what they’re called.

Very well said.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Really?
You really are comparing “Daredevil” with “Dragon Hunter”?

Daredevil is a very meningful and flexible word (“Recklessly daring person”), wich have been made famous by a Marvel’s character but ultimately have not been seen so much in the media. Its not a great name, but it stands properly.

Dragon Hunter is a “high concept” with a rigid yet utterly pointless meaning (“Person who hunts dragons”), particularly redundant and confusing in GW2, wich have been so used and abused in the media that in the end it “took an arrow to the knee” and become a rolling joke. Is not even a proper description of what the spec do… because as of today, only one dragon has been “hunted” (By a massive army and thousands of heroes…).

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

(edited by Ardid.7203)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Yeah because Daredevil and Dragonhunter are so unique and original.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

In my opinion dragonhunter is simply a poor fit for the setting (largely because the main goal of every single player character is killing(/hunting) the dragons, and how different the dragons in GW2 are from what dragons normally are).

Daredevil on the other hand I find an absolutely horrible name, to me it sound like someone who does dangerous things like jumping across a ravine on a motorcycle or such pointless acts.

Ayrilana.1396

Where else are they used in RPG’s?

As far as the daredevil naming, read the blog post and you’ll see it’s fitting.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Khenzo.2465

Khenzo.2465

I’m having trouble expressing how utterly awful some of these names truely are.

Daredevil….really? Who is coming up with these names? Honestly.

I’d really prefer something like Enforcer, or Monk, almost anything else than this. LOL.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I have to admit, when I heard the Berserker, I expected to see posts of, “Wut, bad enough we have a zerker meta…”

Same thing I was thinking and shocked to not see everywhere.

Considering the outpouring of dislike for the “Dragonhunter” name, I expected to see quite a lot of comments about how “Berserker” was, not only unoriginal and lacking in any creativity or relationship to the specialization itself, but also likely to cause confusion considering the stat combination “Berserker” already exists in the game.

I still cannot believe they chose that name for the specialization. I thought they were going out of their way to make the game as uncomplicated as possible so as to not confuse their players, then they chose the most confusion-likely and uncreative name possible for that specialization.

Player 1: What spec are you running?
Player 2: Zerker.
Player 1: Are you talking about the elite specialization or the stats on your gear?
Player 2: Yes.
Player 1: …

I still like “The Jackal” as my idea for the warrior elite specialization. Could have offered a nice theme for the skills. It’s a shame ANet didn’t put some kind of community and hype building strategy into place for the specializations where players could vote on the names, similar to the whole LA naming thing.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

The term/title Dragonhunter is widely used in movies, games and books that feature dragons. (the movie Dragon Hunter for example, and in Dragon Age Inquisition it’s a title/achievement, the list goes on).

As for daredevil…

Attachments:

~Sincerely, Scissors

Ayrilana.1396

The term/title Dragonhunter is widely used in movies, games and books.

As for daredevil…

If you keep referring to the comic then you have absolutely no idea about what daredevil means. They are not replicating super heroes in GW2.

As far as dragon hunter, I don’t remember seeing it widely used as a name. Media with dragons use it as a description of an occupation where someone hunts dragons. That’s not the focal point of the specialization.

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

Really if its the name stopping you playing the spec that is the absolute worst reason no to play it its a name sure its not perfect but it doesn’t affect gameplay stop crying over a name there will be more elite specs in the future just enjoy the elite spec.

Sylvari mean

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Honestly I think these names are cool, to the people that came up with them.
Well I guess cool is a bit subjective.

Actually some people think the Marvel comic character.

What’s wrong with objectification :P

I think ‘dragon’ will just become metaphorical then.

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Ugh.
The names have 0 impact on how the classes perform.

And I’m sure people would be raging if ArenaNet put simple and common names on the new elite specs.

Like,“Monk” or “Assassin” – People would be like “OMG CTRL +C CTRL +V REALLY ANET?????” “LOL SO ORIGINAL”

Stop hating on Dragonhunter and Daredevil,at least they are original. Or kind of original,it is pretty much impossible to be original in the Internet these days. Everything has already been created or used in other things. At least Arenanet picks the less common names instead of boring “Crusader” (people would say ArenaNet got it from Diablo 3: RoS) or “Wizard” or something like that.

Names impact the perception of the profession.

Look at the name Druid & Tempests, no one is complaining about them (“OMG COPY PASTE”), and yes they have been used in other games as well.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

So far the only names out of touch are dragonhunter and daredevil, rest are okay/good

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Media with dragons use it as a description of an occupation where someone hunts dragons.

And that’s exactly what Guild Wars 2 does? Except that in Guild Wars 2, everyone hunts dragons, it’s what the whole story is about. Which makes the name Dragonhunter even more nonsensical.

Besides, how are a Guardian and a big game hunter even remotely related.

~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

forum bug

~Sincerely, Scissors