ArenaNet-Try Harder(to get me to)Pre-Order

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’d pre if they where offering something more than a title. But the core game tought me that of I wait after launch, they’ll add more items for the same price. That’s what they did to everyone who got the core game before launch. I got the digital deluxe edition on pre, and what I got was the pre order ring, mini Rytlock, banker golem, and the two books. If I had waited till after launch I would have got all that, and a set of armor skins xp boosters and the mithral bag. For the same price. So yes, I am going to get HoT, but I’m not going to get mugged again.

The bonus items for the Deluxe Edition changed at the 1st anniversary. The ring was not included in the anniversary/Heroic edition, as it was a pre-purchase bonus. You may have a long wait.

The three Legendary weapons released at launch, will be Legendary weapons. Nowhere have they said the backpacks are part of that initial 3 Legendaries referred to in the Blog or interview.

claps

I said preorder ring.

I’m only going to get the base pack for HoT. I’ll buy the upgrade at a later date. Probably when they add more things to it. I got the upgrade again when it was 500 gems(the price of primeval armor) during the sale. So I got 10 XP boosters and the bag for free. I can wait, I’ve been sitting on a toon slot for ages, been using it to key farm when ever I get 8 ToK, so the deluxe edition has no real appeal to me, I like the look of the finisher, but its not worth the money Imo, the toon slot would just end up being a key farm slot, the mini I’d probably not use.

So I might as well keep my money till launch, find out what’s in HoT. Then pick it up. If I think it’s worth it the price on the ANet store I’ll get it from there, if not I’ll get it from a 3rd party site like amazon or game for less most probably.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I disagree. It is misleading. There aren’t any legendary backpieces in the game. So in January when they announced there would be new legendaries, exactly zero people were thinking they would be backpieces. Heck, if you want to get technical, they did say a few years ago that legendary trinkets were coming. How’s that coming along?

So it is misleading because when they announced it the flipping corner of the internet that die-hard GW2 fans like myself reside in all did a collective backflip and dragon emote at the same time because we thought we were finally getting new legendary weapons after years of waiting.

So just to correct you here…. They said “legendaries” They didn’t say that would be weapons or armor or trinkets when they originally announced it. Just some items of legendary quality. Most people automatically think weapons, yes, and we know some of those are coming too because they did tell us there would be a whole new set.

We also know that they were working on legendary gear back in 2013, as you bring up. And in the Pax interview with Matt Visual that year (think they were debuting the new Teq in that instance), Colin specifically states that the first legendary trinket/accessory (think accessory was actually the term used) would be a ring or a backpiece, etc. But it would only be one item type and it would be in that general section of items. So, some of us did consider that as a possibility when they said “new legendaries.”

So not sure why you have your panties in a bunch here. We know we’re getting a whole new set of legendary weapons, as well as some legendary back pieces. You don’t want to preorder, that’s fine. HoT will still be there waiting when you finally decide you want to play it.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I disagree. It is misleading. There aren’t any legendary backpieces in the game. So in January when they announced there would be new legendaries, exactly zero people were thinking they would be backpieces. Heck, if you want to get technical, they did say a few years ago that legendary trinkets were coming. How’s that coming along?

So it is misleading because when they announced it the flipping corner of the internet that die-hard GW2 fans like myself reside in all did a collective backflip and dragon emote at the same time because we thought we were finally getting new legendary weapons after years of waiting.

So just to correct you here…. They said “legendaries” They didn’t say that would be weapons or armor or trinkets when they originally announced it. Just some items of legendary quality. Most people automatically think weapons, yes, and we know some of those are coming too because they did tell us there would be a whole new set.

We also know that they were working on legendary gear back in 2013, as you bring up. And in the Pax interview with Matt Visual that year (think they were debuting the new Teq in that instance), Colin specifically states that the first legendary trinket/accessory (think accessory was actually the term used) would be a ring or a backpiece, etc. But it would only be one item type and it would be in that general section of items. So, some of us did consider that as a possibility when they said “new legendaries.”

So not sure why you have your panties in a bunch here. We know we’re getting a whole new set of legendary weapons, as well as some legendary back pieces. You don’t want to preorder, that’s fine. HoT will still be there waiting when you finally decide you want to play it.

It’s not that you don’t understand why I am ticked, it’s that you disagree with me being ticked.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I keep reading these threads and trying to fathom why people keep threatening to hold their breath until their face turns blue to make Anet give them an ice cream cone.

I guess I should make a similar demand… something like… “Give me source code to the game and server side software or I won’t preorder HoT.” Oh, wait! I already pre-ordered. Darn it! I guess I’m just out of luck. Time to take a breath again.

Since I pay more in internet access fees every month than I’ve ever spent in buying and playing this game, the price of HoT is trivial IMO. I do not understand the OP’s demand to know everything up front. That’s like asking for the last chapter in a who-done-it novel before the book is released.

It’s that their information has been misleading Jimson. Colin and Mike announced new legendaries in January. Were you thinking that meant backpieces? No one was but that is what we are getting. They announced multilevel maps. Now they are backtracking and saying that not every map is multi-level. I’d agree with your food analogy, but I am asking for basic info. How many maps? I’m not asking for story beats and scripts for how the Mordremoth fight goes down.

Because the final fight is happening at the end of this x-pac, right? Or nah?

It hasn’t been misleading. Did they say all maps would be multi-level? Did they say all new legendary weapons would be available? They were/are not backtracking. It’s people reading too far into what they’re saying, making speculation or assumptions, and then treating it as fact only to be disappointed later on when they are wrong.

This is about legendary weapons, not the backpack. The backpack was a surprise to everyone and has nothing to do with my argument.

You will get new legendaries over time. They never stated that every single one would be available at HoT release. If I’m wrong, please link me the source.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I keep reading these threads and trying to fathom why people keep threatening to hold their breath until their face turns blue to make Anet give them an ice cream cone.

I guess I should make a similar demand… something like… “Give me source code to the game and server side software or I won’t preorder HoT.” Oh, wait! I already pre-ordered. Darn it! I guess I’m just out of luck. Time to take a breath again.

Since I pay more in internet access fees every month than I’ve ever spent in buying and playing this game, the price of HoT is trivial IMO. I do not understand the OP’s demand to know everything up front. That’s like asking for the last chapter in a who-done-it novel before the book is released.

It’s that their information has been misleading Jimson. Colin and Mike announced new legendaries in January. Were you thinking that meant backpieces? No one was but that is what we are getting. They announced multilevel maps. Now they are backtracking and saying that not every map is multi-level. I’d agree with your food analogy, but I am asking for basic info. How many maps? I’m not asking for story beats and scripts for how the Mordremoth fight goes down.

Because the final fight is happening at the end of this x-pac, right? Or nah?

It hasn’t been misleading. Did they say all maps would be multi-level? Did they say all new legendary weapons would be available? They were/are not backtracking. It’s people reading too far into what they’re saying, making speculation or assumptions, and then treating it as fact only to be disappointed later on when they are wrong.

Except that you have no evidence the legendary back pieces aren’t in addition to the weapons. Do you have some quote or insider knowledge that says that 2 of the three legendary items will be backpieces, because I believe that 3 legendary weapons will be included at the launch of HoT and more will be coming in through the story as it progresses.

This is exciting to me, because it will give legendaries context, something they lacked in the original implementation.

Posted by: Ash.3109

Ash.3109

It is so funny how the gamers today are talking about HoT as if it is a whole new game or something. This is an expansion and is not suppose to be a totally new game when it goes life. It is merely suppose to add to the existing game and give us more areas to explore. It is suppose to continue the lore of the first story and give you new information about the state of Tyria as it is evolving. I have seen expansions for other games give far less then what we already know now about HoT and pass it off as an expansion. I feel like people are being far to critical and demanding of Arenanet and everyone needs to step back and take a deep breath. There is great things coming with HoT lets all be happy and have a little more patience.

Posted by: usernameisapain.7163

usernameisapain.7163

It is so funny how the gamers today are talking about HoT as if it is a whole new game or something. This is an expansion and is not suppose to be a totally new game when it goes life. It is merely suppose to add to the existing game and give us more areas to explore. It is suppose to continue the lore of the first story and give you new information about the state of Tyria as it is evolving. I have seen expansions for other games give far less then what we already know now about HoT and pass it off as an expansion. I feel like people are being far to critical and demanding of Arenanet and everyone needs to step back and take a deep breath. There is great things coming with HoT lets all be happy and have a little more patience.

Price compared to expansion(knowledge that we have so far) I think this is perhaps one of the smallest expansions I’ve seen. Of course you can find kittenty expansions, but they are usually expansions of kitten games. EOTN was a huge expansion and added completely new layers to the existing GW universe. For almost half the price. I can easily understand why people are upset, why they make a big deal out of it, that I cannot understand, the same way I can’t understand people justying HoT when we don’t know that much about it(29 we’ll know more Pax Prime) Or why people must feel a need to tell other people that their opinion is wrong because (etc) Personally I’d rather wait a while till I know more, some might think they know enough, and both are fine, different ways of thinking, doesn’t make one more wrong or right than the other.

Aside from that, Warriors elite spec looks great! Only elite spec that got me excited so far, but I got high hopes for the dear Ranger and Engineer

Posted by: UnknownRH.4592

UnknownRH.4592

It’s a little ridiculous how little detailed information we’ve gotten at this point. I’m not pre-ordering until I know how many maps there are at the very least.

When you guys purchased Guild Wars 2 did you know how many maps you will get with the game? Entitlement is strong in this one. Anet owes you nothing in this regard and crying about it will not make you get it. threatening Anet with your wallet is also not gonna help.

Centurion in Balkan legion (SFRJ)
Warrior and Elementalist
Far ShiverPeaks

Vayne.8563

It’s a little ridiculous how little detailed information we’ve gotten at this point. I’m not pre-ordering until I know how many maps there are at the very least.

When you guys purchased Guild Wars 2 did you know how many maps you will get with the game? Entitlement is strong in this one. Anet owes you nothing in this regard and crying about it will not make you get it. threatening Anet with your wallet is also not gonna help.

Actually I’m pretty sure we did know, but there were so many things we didn’t know about including the Living Story. I’m happy enough with the game and enjoy it enough to want to continue it. I want to continue to get updates. I want to see more of the story. I want to play with the new specializations, I want to level the new masteries. I want Guild Halls and I want to see the new zones, not just what’s coming with the expansion but what comes after.

Is $50 too much to spend on that? Not for me. Your mileage may vary.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s been 3 years plus by this time. But I remember looking at this picture I got at one time way back then and seeing where all the dungeons were going to be and wondering if these areas were maps outside the other maps connected by a corridor.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

usernameisapain.7163

Ah, back then it was a preorder, not a pre-purchase(there might’ve been a pre-purchase shortly before release, or just when they gave us a release date, honestly don’t recall) =) . And I pretty much knew all of what I would get. Don’t remember if all maps were revealed, I actually think that they revealed world map on an occasion or two. Then again, I never complained about knowing exactly how many maps there are, so that argument is void with me.

And majority of people are just making statement, that they won’t buy until they know more. But it seems that a lot of people feel they have to start personal attacks and call everyone entitled, and crying, and attempting to blackmail Anet. Silly, so silly, get of your high horse. It’s a forum, people should be able to make claims, and opinions both ways without anyone insulting one another.

Vayne.8563

Ah, back then it was a preorder, not a pre-purchase(there might’ve been a pre-purchase shortly before release, or just when they gave us a release date, honestly don’t recall) =) . And I pretty much knew all of what I would get. Don’t remember if all maps were revealed, I actually think that they revealed world map on an occasion or two. Then again, I never complained about knowing exactly how many maps there are, so that argument is void with me.

And majority of people are just making statement, that they won’t buy until they know more. But it seems that a lot of people feel they have to start personal attacks and call everyone entitled, and crying, and attempting to blackmail Anet. Silly, so silly, get of your high horse. It’s a forum, people should be able to make claims, and opinions both ways without anyone insulting one another.

There was a prepurchase and preorder for Guild Wars 2, almost exactly as it is now. I prepurchased Guild Wars 2 in something like April and it launched at the end of August. You got benefits for prepurchase you didn’t get for preorder. It’s very much the same.

Iason Evan.3806

^This is totally reasonable.

I am not trying to blackmail ArenaNet. I’m not making threats. I’m saying if you want my money, let me know what I am getting. My argument is that if they want me to give them money, I don’t want to give it to them and not know what I am getting. For the millionth time, I am not asking that they reveal story beats or plot points. Neither am I asking for spoilers. I want to know how many maps there are. Knowing how many maps there are coupled with the knowledge about how much there is to do in each map in the base game will give me a good indication of how much there actually is to do for my $50.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I am not trying to blackmail ArenaNet. I’m not making threats. I’m saying if you want my money, let me know what I am getting. My argument is that if they want me to give them money, I don’t want to give it to them and not know what I am getting. For the millionth time, I am not asking that they reveal story beats or plot points. Neither am I asking for spoilers. I want to know how many maps there are. Knowing how many maps there are coupled with the knowledge about how much there is to do in each map in the base game will give me a good indication of how much there actually is to do for my $50.

I honestly do not understand how anyone can argue against this.

A consumer asking to be told what a product package will include befoe spending his money is not only reasonable, it is the ideal.

Vayne.8563

I honestly do not understand how anyone can argue against this.

A consumer asking to be told what a product package will include befoe spending his money is not only reasonable, it is the ideal.

I agree it’s reasonable to ask. I also believe that there’s a reason for revealing stuff when ANet does. Let’s look at the very simple question of how many maps will launch with HoT?

Let’s say Anet is working on four or five, or even six maps right now. It’s not implausible that that many maps are in the works. But at this time, Anet has no idea how many of them will actually be ready for the launch. They can’t really hold off the launch forever, because people need new content.

So without Anet actually getting closer to knowing how many maps, Anet simply can’t say. The assumption is that Anet knows and they’re just not telling us.

I’m not so sure that’s a great assumption. By the same token, the game isn’t out yet and there shouldn’t be any rush or pressure to prepurchase. Some people wanted the prepurchase, whether you agree with them or not, and threw money at their monitors, so Anet gave it to them.

Anyone is perfectly entitled to ask for all the information they want, but they can’t push people to give information they don’t yet have. Saying I want this information now isn’t quite as reasonable as saying I won’t buy it until I have that information.

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

You honestly believe Anet doesn’t have a handle on something as basic as the number of zones in HoT this close to release?

Ineptitude on that scale is almost insulting towards Anet. I don’t agree with a lot of their decisions, but they’re not that utterly incompetent.

It’s simple. Anything less than a full continent, or at the very least region sized amount of zones, “triple tiered” or not, is going to be a bitter pill to swallow for a lot of customers. And they know they’re not going to deliver on that, so they don’t talk about it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If, as proposed, ArenaNet knows how many maps, and that the number will keep players from pre-purchasing, and those same players will not pre-purchase without said information, what difference would it make?

If not knowing, or knowing it is less than a ‘full continent’, gives the same outcome, I’m not sure what advantages acquiescing to demands incurs.

The Devs have stated they want to keep the sense of discovery about the area, and content within, so, perhaps, that is their main motivation in regards to lack of detail.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Vayne.8563

You honestly believe Anet doesn’t have a handle on something as basic as the number of zones in HoT this close to release?

Ineptitude on that scale is almost insulting towards Anet. I don’t agree with a lot of their decisions, but they’re not that utterly incompetent.

It’s simple. Anything less than a full continent, or at the very least region sized amount of zones, “triple tiered” or not, is going to be a bitter pill to swallow for a lot of customers. And they know they’re not going to deliver on that, so they don’t talk about it.

I think you have less experience than you think you do if you call this inept. No matter what you plan in a creative endeavor, things change, pretty much all the time. I’ve had to rewrite the last half of a book because something changed in the beginning of the book due to editorial decision. Before I had to rewrite the project was done.

Anet, in my opinion, didn’t want to do an expansion at all, but instead wanted to continue offering the content as Living Story. In which case the number of new zones wouldn’t be called into question, since they would introduce them as they went along, probably one at a time. You can’t do that with an expansion.

The change of content delivery methods would have to throw a monkey wrench into previous plans. Anet couldn’t wait forever to get the expansion out, so knowing how many zones will be ready and tested by launch is not knowable.

Anyone calling that incompetence is, in my opinion, wrong.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

I’d pre if we actually had a solid release date..

Still baffled at the fact we have so many leap before you look and pre before you know frogs playing this game.

Always look before you leap and in this case know some solid information like the actual release date before giving them money. This isn’t a kickstarter so they shouldn’t be trying to gather fund without a release date.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

It is in any way a pretty bad marketing campaign, incompetence or not.

You try to sell a product nobody knows what is in it. I find that strange. This works with the fan crowd, but probably not with the more reasonable or more tight people.
Of course for this to be a success, this fan crowd must be big enough to create a buzz on it´s own, like it was the case with Star Wars. People literally fell over each other to see Phantom Menace, despite it´s overall horrible plot, laughable figures and G rating, just because it was from Star Wars. Obviously, this is not the case with GW2.

Anet was caught with their pants around their ankles and had nothing to show for in the first months after they were forced to change their business model, I don´t doubt that. Now they have something to show, but probably not enough for the more hardcore, price sensible people to be satisfied with.

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

Guild Wars Factions

Hundreds of new creatures, guild halls, skills and more
Two new professions: the deadly Assassin and the necromantic Ritualist
A whole new continent, Cantha, either connects to the lands of Tyria or stands on its own
Guilds band together into alliances to gain control of towns and access exclusive Alliance Missions
New game types include missions with ranked scoring and large-scale Alliance vs. Alliance battles

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class
elite specialization with weapons nobody want to use

worth!

Vayne.8563

Guild Wars Factions

A whole new continent, Cantha, either connects to the lands of Tyria or stands on its own
Guilds band together into alliances to gain control of towns and access exclusive Alliance Missions
New game types include missions with ranked scoring and large-scale Alliance vs. Alliance battles

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

Guild Wars Factions was a standalone game, not an expansion. Eye of the North would have been a better comparison.

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

I think you have less experience than you think you do if you call this inept. No matter what you plan in a creative endeavor, things change, pretty much all the time. I’ve had to rewrite the last half of a book because something changed in the beginning of the book due to editorial decision. Before I had to rewrite the project was done.

Anet, in my opinion, didn’t want to do an expansion at all, but instead wanted to continue offering the content as Living Story. In which case the number of new zones wouldn’t be called into question, since they would introduce them as they went along, probably one at a time. You can’t do that with an expansion.

The change of content delivery methods would have to throw a monkey wrench into previous plans. Anet couldn’t wait forever to get the expansion out, so knowing how many zones will be ready and tested by launch is not knowable.

It’s not a creative endeavor. It’s a business transaction.

I don’t make games. I don’t care about the trials and tribulations of switching to an expansion when your LS plans fail. (Though it’d be interesting to hear/read about at GDC or something) I don’t care about excuses. As a consumer, what I care about is what my $$ is going to get me in this expansion.

You cant list the full content, or even intended content, of your product this close to release… No, not even that, just a list of areas being added… simply because you don’t KNOW? But you still want to sell it to me?

I give you its probably not incompetentce considering the number of prepurchases undoubtedly made. There are a few other choice words for it though.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It’s not that you don’t understand why I am ticked, it’s that you disagree with me being ticked.

No, it’s that you really have no reason to be kittened off. At least not at any one other than yourself…. You heard ‘x’, made assumptions about ‘x’, and it turns out ‘x’ is not exactly what you wanted it to be and now you’re angry and that’s not Anet’s fault.

Vayne.8563

It’s not a creative endeavor. It’s a business transaction.

I don’t make games. I don’t care about the trials and tribulations of switching to an expansion when your LS plans fail. (Though it’d be interesting to hear/read about at GDC or something) I don’t care about excuses. As a consumer, what I care about is what my $$ is going to get me in this expansion.

You cant list the full content, or even intended content, of your product this close to release… No, not even that, just a list of areas being added… simply because you don’t KNOW? But you still want to sell it to me?

I give you its probably not incompetentce considering the number of prepurchases undoubtedly made. There are a few other choice words for it though.

Saying a game isn’t a creative endeavor is just wrong. It is absolutely a creative endeavor, Without the creativity, it wouldn’t sell, and it would be a dead business endeavor. Businesses don’t really make games, they just sell them. Any product that’s produced by artists and writers and editors is subject to the trials and tribulations of those professions.

This isn’t really opinion, this is how it works. It’s why games are often delayed and pushed back. It’s not reasonable to believe that your desire for something is going to change the nature of it.

The less creative a game is, the easier it is to tell exactly what’s in it. Stuff that’s more experimental or needs more testing simply can’t be given an exact date for it to be ready, at least until it’s very close.

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

Guild Wars Factions was a standalone game, not an expansion. Eye of the North would have been a better comparison.

eotn

Tons of new content designed exclusively for your existing Guild Wars characters.
18 huge, multi-level dungeons to explore. Monuments of your Guild Wars achievements that give access to special items and titles in Guild Wars 2.
150 new skills (50 of which are special, roleplaying-only skills) to use against your foes. 10 new Heroes to help you in your adventures.
40 new armor sets suitable for the great heroes of the land. A first look at three of the exciting new playable races in Guild Wars 2.
Numerous new items, weapons, and titles to attain.

worth!

usernameisapain.7163

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

Tons of new content designed exclusively for your existing Guild Wars characters.
18 huge, multi-level dungeons to explore. Monuments of your Guild Wars achievements that give access to special items and titles in Guild Wars 2.
150 new skills (50 of which are special, roleplaying-only skills) to use against your foes. 10 new Heroes to help you in your adventures.
40 new armor sets suitable for the great heroes of the land. A first look at three of the exciting new playable races in Guild Wars 2.

worth!

Price wise it is comparable to factions/nightfall, and considering overall gameprices since the mid 90’s haven’t changed that much, then that’s fair comparison. The expansion comparison with EoTN is off as EoTN could be bought for a far lower price, as provided by Teniz, brought insane amounts of replayability. Perhaps the greatest expansion I’ve ever had the joy of buying and playing. Huge maps, so much to do, that could be done, again and again. HoT so is falling short greatly. However next week friday might change that when Anet releases some more info

Ayrilana.1396

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

If EotN had 18 dungeons then GW2 has 33 dungeons with possibly another 11. Also ignoring that they’re two entirely different games. It seems people are more concerned about quantity than quality.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

If EotN had 18 dungeons then GW2 has 33 dungeons with possibly another 11.

It had 18 – http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dungeon

They just weren’t as “huge” as he’s claiming. Yes, they were multi-leveled, but most levels were sort of small. Like GW2 dungeons, their varied in size.

usernameisapain.7163

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

If EotN had 18 dungeons then GW2 has 33 dungeons with possibly another 11. Also ignoring that they’re two entirely different games. It seems people are more concerned about quantity than quality.

GW2, a full game for twice the price. Of course it should have more ~~

Ayrilana.1396

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

They just weren’t as “huge” as he’s claiming. Yes, they were multi-leveled, but most levels were sort of small. Like GW2 dungeons, their varied in size.

I know the count. The point being that quite a lot of the dungeons were just copy and pasted from others. Look at the Slaver’s Exile maps and tell me you don’t see the same maps in the other dungeons. The entire map for Freezie was reused from another dungeon.

Ayrilana.1396

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

Nope. You’re making the mistake of trying to compare the price of one thing in relation to its content to another. I bought Fallout 3 and GW2 both for $60. GW2 obviously had much more content. By your rationale I was ripped off when I bought Fallout 3 since GW2 is the measure of what an acceptable amount of content is worth at $60. You decide a content’s worth based in the value you get from it and whether said value is worth the cost to you.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

I know the count. The point being that quite a lot of the dungeons were just copy and pasted from others. Look at the Slaver’s Exile maps and tell me you don’t see the same maps in the other dungeons. The entire map for Freezie was reused from another dungeon.

I’m aware, but that doesn’t make them “not a dungeon” though. No one claimed they were “unique” dungeons.

Ayrilana.1396

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

I’m aware, but that doesn’t make them “not a dungeon” though. No one claimed they were “unique” dungeons.

So if the expansion contains 6 unique maps but 15 total, you’d be okay with that?

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

Nope. You’re making the mistake of trying to compare the price of one thing in relation to its content to another. I bought Fallout 3 and GW2 both for $60. GW2 obviously had much more content. By your rationale I was ripped off when I bought Fallout 3 since GW2 is the measure of what an acceptable amount of content is worth at $60. You decide a content’s worth based in the value you get from it and whether said value is worth the cost to you.

Fallout 3 is not an MMORPG now is it?
COMPLETELY different games, not a good example at all.

Ayrilana.1396

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

Does it matter? You’re comparing content, not game types.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

So if the expansion contains 6 unique maps but 15 total, you’d be okay with that?

That would depend on a lot of things, Ayrilana. Which maps are they coping? What’s happening in them? How often are those things happening? What’s the mode flip for that map, and how well does it function? Yes, in the very end it all boils down to “am I enjoying myself?” and if that answer is “Yes” then it’s all good.

I am realistic in my expectations when it comes to development, and what people seem to forget is that development takes a lot of time, especially when things are being built from scratch. To help ease that time sink, developers tend to try to re-use as much as they can.

Besides, there is really only so much than can be done in a “unique” (truly unique) way. There is a finite number of ways to make things work, even if there is a near infinite number of ways to skin them.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

It clearly kittening matters, games are developed and content created on what type of genre they are aiming for

Fallout 3 is more a kin to Skyrim. It’s a singleplayer RPG.
You are not interacting with online players, you have no need as a game dev to create a world to hold xxx,xxx amount of players, you only need to create content for 1 player.
Can you understand that? lots of online players in an online revolving, changing world means you need to create a lot of content….compared to a single player RPG in one world, static world … gee I wonder which one will have more content?

Ayrilana.1396

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

It clearly kittening matters, games are developed and content created on what type of genre they are aiming for

Fallout 3 is more a kin to Skyrim. It’s a singleplayer RPG.
You are not interacting with online players, you have no need as a game dev to create a world to hold xxx,xxx amount of players, you only need to create content for 1 player.
Can you understand that? lots of online players in an online revolving, changing world means you need to create a lot of content….compared to a single player RPG in one world, static world … gee I wonder which one will have more content?

It doesn’t. Content in one is content in another. You paid the same price for both. You can argue game genre’s but in the end you paid X amount of content for Y dollars.

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

It’s just not worth pre-ordering at the moment. It’s completely baffling to me that people are willing to drop $100 on HoT with 40 dollars worth of gems the way things are right now. I’m not surprised people were disappointed with the beta weekend as it stands, and at this point I doubt we’ll get more than the Maguuma jungle as an explorable map with this expansion. This is peanuts compared to the content we got from Factions, Nightfall and EoTN.

So again, I wouldn’t mind pre-purchasing it if it were WAY cheaper, like about half the price. Plus, with no release date, little to no content aside from some new, admittedly exciting mechanics, it really does look like a fast money grab to fuel development for incomplete content.

I’m also reluctant to shove money at Anet because the storyline has been absolute kitten for the past two years. The living story itself wasn’t a bad concept, but it was poorly implemented and 1 kittening year of Scarlet was a complete waste of resources. The storylines for GW included many new characters, new armor for each profession, new lands, new races to battle, etc. The GW story just got better and better. It didn’t rely on kittenty one-liners, it had an epic story about ‘saving the world’ which worked really frickin’ well. My last hope with all the hints that have been dropped so far is that they actually do something tangible with the storyline and don’t just dangle superficial names of characters in order to appease the old GW players and lore nerds. I want a SOLID story which taps into the rich lore that has sustained the original over the last oh, I don’t know, 8 YEARS.

Consumers have a right to pick and choose what they will spend their money on. It isn’t being demanding, ungrateful etc. This has been and always was a business transaction. People pre-ordered GW2 on the premise that it was a brand new game, and on faith in a company that made promises which customers expected would be fulfilled. Most of them weren’t. It’s understandable that people will be suspicious until they see something tangible which is worth spending money on.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

If nothing materializes OP I’d stick to your guns, don’t pre-order / purchase. We’ve tried to fight this ever increasing problem in the industry and I’m sure if you’d said EA or Ubisoft or Konami, many people in this forum would have your back. It’s a shame that we are rather fickle and cave in. Pre-ordering / Pre-purchasing are not good for the consumer. Hold out and vote with your wallet.

usernameisapain.7163

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

Hahaha, no no not at all, you’re clearly both misunderstanding me, and not reading my posts properly.

Fallout 3 full game 60, GW2 full game 60, EoTN 35 expansion, HoT 50 expansion.
I’m talking about full games compared to expansions, and that games from the same developer, can be compared to some extent despite those differences. You’re drawing assumptions friend =)

Ayrilana.1396

Guild Wars Factions

What do we get

8? new zones
1 new pvp mode
1 new class

worth!

eotn

worth!

Hahaha, no no not at all, you’re clearly both misunderstanding me, and not reading my posts properly.

Fallout 3 full game 60, GW2 full game 60, EoTN 35 expansion, HoT 50 expansion.
I’m talking about full games compared to expansions, and that games from the same developer, can be compared to some extent despite those differences. You’re drawing assumptions friend =)

You’re not understanding the part where I said comparing content to other content distorts the results. You look at the content contained in HoT and decide whether the value of what’s there is worth the price. What MMO X, Y, or Z had doesn’t matter. What expansion X, Y, or Z had doesn’t matter. What game X, Y, or Z had doesn’t matter.

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

Just curious… what ever happened to the OP’s original topic?

The OP wants something that Anet won’t give him so it seems obvious that he will not pre-purchase HoT. What exactly is left to discuss?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Just curious… what ever happened to the OP’s original topic?

The OP wants something that Anet won’t give him so it seems obvious that he will not pre-purchase HoT. What exactly is left to discuss?

Lol. Yah.

Considering that the OP posted a month ago and said that the deadline for buying the expansion with the char slots was less than 2 weeks away, I would say he has made his decision to prebuy, one way or another.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Uriel.6310

Uriel.6310

This is exactly how I feel. Granted we are all enjoying the game and some may like what Arenanet has done with GW2 up until this point, it still does not justify laying down 70 – 100$ on a game we barely know half about.

It is known that this year is almost half way over folks, we are almost towards September, leaving us with 4 more months. We also know that recently it was said this game will release SOMETIME this year… yet we are still down 2 specializations, and we still only know about a fraction of whats to come. I hate to compare WoW, but even they released MUCH more info about their new expansion at the same conference GW2 was at and it is RECENTLY new. But what do we get? A hint about a release date and pre purchase options on a incomplete game lol.

Maybe some of you have the money to just throw at the screen and not care about it, but there are some that like to be conservative and if they would like to voice their opinion and why? Then they can do so. Consumers today who just blindly buy are the reason why we have some many game developers/companies today switching from releasing completed games to incomplete ones where they will just do bug fixes and DLC later. This is where the game industry is now, and honestly, its pathetic. So I also will hold my money until I KNOW. Not like im missing anything anyway beside being a unpaid beta tester for arenanet. And they know YOU will because they have deprive us of so much information that everyone is DYING to play this game.

GW2 was never made to be more innovative than other MMOs, it was made to be different than GW1.

(edited by Uriel.6310)

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

Then why bother making a thread about it?

I don’t care what you do with your money. It’s your money, I have all of zero say in what you do with it. If you don’t feel like you don’t know enough about Heart of Thorns to comfortably buy the game, then don’t.

It’s when we see a million “This Expansion SUX!” threads, and a bunch of people who are threatening/blackmailing/calling out ArenaNet, demanding to know more about the game RIGHT MYEOW – much like your original post did, come to think of it – that you get people who come in and start arguing with you.

If you want to make an informed, in-depth decision about whether Heart of Thorns is worth the fifty bucks they’re asking for it, then wait until the game comes out, people play it, and the information you want is available. If you want preorder bonuses, BWE access, and first crack at the content when it does release, then preorder the game and deal with the fact that you might be spending fifty bucks less than optimally.

You can’t have it both ways. My beef isn’t that you don’t want to preorder a game you don’t know everything about, it’s that you and many others seem to feel like it’s only your due that ArenaNet tell you absolutely everything there is to know about a game which is still actively in development.

They couldn’t do that even if they wanted to. If they knew everything there was to know about HoT, the game would be done and they’d freaking release it. Either they’ve told you enough to warrant a purchase (or an active no-purchase decision), or they haven’t. Stop with the unrealistic expectations and make a decision.

Don’t inflict your indecision on everyone else, man.

Iason Evan.3806

Then why bother making a thread about it?

I don’t care what you do with your money. It’s your money, I have all of zero say in what you do with it. If you don’t feel like you don’t know enough about Heart of Thorns to comfortably buy the game, then don’t.

It’s when we see a million “This Expansion SUX!” threads, and a bunch of people who are threatening/blackmailing/calling out ArenaNet, demanding to know more about the game RIGHT MYEOW – much like your original post did, come to think of it – that you get people who come in and start arguing with you.

If you want to make an informed, in-depth decision about whether Heart of Thorns is worth the fifty bucks they’re asking for it, then wait until the game comes out, people play it, and the information you want is available. If you want preorder bonuses, BWE access, and first crack at the content when it does release, then preorder the game and deal with the fact that you might be spending fifty bucks less than optimally.

You can’t have it both ways. My beef isn’t that you don’t want to preorder a game you don’t know everything about, it’s that you and many others seem to feel like it’s only your due that ArenaNet tell you absolutely everything there is to know about a game which is still actively in development.

They couldn’t do that even if they wanted to. If they knew everything there was to know about HoT, the game would be done and they’d freaking release it. Either they’ve told you enough to warrant a purchase (or an active no-purchase decision), or they haven’t. Stop with the unrealistic expectations and make a decision.

Don’t inflict your indecision on everyone else, man.

You should read the bolded part that you quoted me on. I don’t want to know everything like you’re suggesting. I say as much in the bolded part. I just wanna know what I’m getting for my money. If it’s unrealistic to want to have a good idea of what my money is getting me then that’s what I am, friend.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m confused. How many products do we know all the details about before they are even released? Why is it such an onerous task or affront to suggest waiting until the product is actually released? I would imagine most of the questions would be answered then, or a couple of days after (the Wiki gets updated pretty quickly).

No one is forcing anyone to make a leap of faith. No stigma attached by waiting until the product is released and open for inspection of details one might be interested in.

tl/dr: If unsatisfied with the amount of information on an unreleased product, wait until the product is released and available for inspection. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Posted by: lady godiva pet.9530

lady godiva pet.9530

you all seem to forget yes with each new complete game from guild wars 1 we got 2 new professions. But the original only had 6 professions at the start of prophecies. no specializations nothing special. no special armor other then style, no crafting, etc. Also the day the offered the ability to pre purchase gw2 there was 2 million copies sold. This was before alpha before info etc. this was just people knowing it was coming. No real info. at 60 for the game times 2 million copies in one day thats a crap ton of money with zero information.
Now the people who played gw1 from beta (like me) don’t care about info we know it is coming. Anet has never given much information with factions nightfall or EoTN. we knew basically what we are being told now. anet has never had to release all the minute details to their games to please everyone.
This marketing has worked for them for over 12 years. They still have many people buying the pre-purchase to HoT.