ArenaNet please stop nerfing content.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Nemesis.8593

Nemesis.8593

Besides the nerf to the required HP to unlock the full specialization… i’ve just been to the 2nd HP challenge only to discover that it too has been modified… the champion which was suppose to spawn is now just a veteran.

If the contents gets systematically nerfed, people will rush through it… and one month from now they will complain they will not have any content to play. Furthermore there will be a far greater gap between raids… and the new open world content, unless of course raids will be nerfed into the ground as well… in which case i really do not see a future for this game.

I have soloed 90% of all HP champions so far… with two players it should be no problem what so ever.

Heart of Thorns has been amazing so far, don’t take it away from us… please… stahp…

/beg

They are tuning content based on patterns. The game is only becoming better and more approachable as a result. Monday was a horrible time to be in game on Verdant Brink. Today with the tuning and fix the mega-server I feel like I’m finally playing it as intended and it’s awesome. Tuning is a a normal phase post launch for MMOs.

But really, why do you care? You got your reward as your herded though the gate at launch then decided to stay in game from god knows how many hours blasting through new content… The problem is the hardcore community in GW2 seems to be hell bent on turning it into another trash “me first” grind fest MMO and you’ve all collectively failed. ArenaNet is holding to the original tenants of their manifesto.

Let me explain something to you about casual gamers. We are big gem store spenders. We have lives outside the game because we prefer winning and being “me first” in life instead of always accomplishing that in a game world. GW2 has always been the “MMO for everyone” there is still plenty of hardcore content, but you’re not going to steal the game away from the large causal and simi-causal base who love it just as much as you do and probably spend more in the cash shop to support the company.

If you want an MMO that leans heavy on rewarding only the hardcore crowd there are plenty of great options.

The number one flaw, the thing that every single YouTube, spokesmen or reviewing website said was that the game has “no end game”.
End game by default doesn’t presume something which can be finished within a month… casually…

1 Month casual means 1 week for hardcore players… but that’s besides the point, after that one month… everyone casual or hardcore will say “where’s the end game ?”

Their original manifesto was no grind… dungeons that are so casual that you can finish it in 5 minutes… generates… the biggest grind-fest possible.
WoW at its peak was not casual friendly in their end game… that way both casual or hardcore player always had a goal to keep him busy for months, until the next expansion.

I understand you want to finish everything casually in a month… then what ?… Grind ?…

Ever heard the saying “the harder the journey… the sweeter the reward”, it’s foundation is in psychology, if you try really hard at something… when you finally succeed your brain gets filled with endorphin’s and other chemicals and generates pleasure, as a reward for your effort.

Simply put… pure casual… doesn’t work… Guild Wars 2 before HoT was proof of that.

Nemesis Youtube channel - necromancer & mesmer tutorials, PvP and more…

Nemesis live-stream channel - focusing mainly on Guild Wars 2, League of Legends and Dota II.

Posted by: Lakanna.2073

Lakanna.2073

I see the future, Anet will nerf raid because lots of forum warrior QQ

This is a lot of people’s fear, and it’s rightly justified to feel this way. The same people that gave bad reviews and complained here and on reddit will do a repeat of that to trivialize Raids.

Which wouldn’t happen if they didn’t put exclusive skins behind the raid content. Those of us who don’t care t all about raiding, but do care about he rewards, have no reason to say a single thing about raids if we can avoid them while not shorting ourselves.

“entitled”: Ad Hominem fallacy condensed to a single word.

Posted by: Evrae Altana.1295

Evrae Altana.1295

OP obviously never had to wait half an hour for someone to come by in the canopy to help fight a boss for an HP

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

It takes someone 5mins to make a post about how ‘hard’ something is when it may be forever to actually get good at it.

And it takes seconds to make a post devoid of constructive comment such as that.

Frankly, I really don’t care what the “L2P!” crowd think. This is about play balance – in this case, making enough of the new content accessible to all players to feel that it justifies their purchases. Not just making a few hardcore elite players feel smug with themselves.

Don’t get me wrong; it’s great that there should be content that challenges even better players equipped with top-notch gear. But this is an expansion that people are being asked to pay out for, and that (presumably) ANet hope will secure theiir revenue for a while. Many players are rather more casual, don’t spend long hours in the game, and have neither the time nor inclination to invest such hours as they have in banging their heads repeatedly against brick walls. And it’s certainly not remotely in ANet’s financial interest to put a significant portion of its customers off within hours of getting into the expansion, by putting excessively difficult stuff straight across their main path of progress – they’ve paid good money for the new content, and if they get too frustrated, there’s a very good chance that they’ll simply chuck the game in altogether, and go find something else to do.

The simple fact is that the initial tuning of HoT was wrong – great if you were looking for new high end challenges, but lousy if you weren’t. If you went through the new zones on launch day, fine – you could have freeloaded on the backs of all the other players. Anything you possibly wanted to do was being done by dozens of other people at the same time. Very different now, after even a few days – peak times may, conceivably, be different, but most of the time, in the first new zone, if there’re more than a couple of people around even for an event, you’re lucky. And you might as well forget most of the Hero Challenges (at their original difficulties, at least – if they’ve been nerfed, i haven’t tried them yet) unless you’re prepared to wait around shouting out in chat for someone else who happens to want to do the same thing – because they’re hard verging on the undoable if you hope to solo them and haven’t got absolutely top-rate gear and a good spec. The conclusion is inescapable; whether everyone approves or not, main path, key content in HoT was simply too difficult, and needed to be retuned.

Edit: Actually, I’m going to go further, and say that the top-end players are the last ones that Anet needs to keep happy – because they’re the most likely to be earning enough in-game gold to be able to stay well away from shelling out actual cash for game things they want. It’s mostly the more casual ones who want more but don’t have the time/inclination to grind who actually keep the revenue stream active and the game going.

(edited by Doghouse.1562)

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Simply put… pure casual… doesn’t work… Guild Wars 2 before HoT was proof of that.

What are you basing this statement off?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m glad to hear this.

Why?

• Hero Challenges are one-and-done content that needs to be accessible whenever a player is doing it — whether that’s when the initial rush-through went on to 3 in the morning on a lonely map 6 months from now.
  • Unlocks for character mechanics that were the biggest selling point for the expansion (for many) should not be behind group content which players would have no reason to repeat.
  • Nor should exploration. Virtually every aspect of GW2 PvE that rewards anything is herd content. Exploration objectives did not need to join that.

Please, save the impassioned pleas for hard group content for other aspects of the game that will provide incentives for players to repeat them.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

It takes someone 5mins to make a post about how ‘hard’ something is when it may be forever to actually get good at it.

And it takes seconds to make a post devoid of constructive comment such as that.

Frankly, I really don’t care what the “L2P!” crowd think. This is about play balance – in this case, making enough of the new content accessible to all players to feel that it justifies their purchases. Not just making a few hardcore elite players feel smug with themselves.

Don’t get me wrong; it’s great that there should be content that challenges even better players equipped with top-notch gear. But this is an expansion that people are being asked to pay out for, and that (presumably) ANet hope will secure theiir revenue for a while. Many players are rather more casual, don’t spend long hours in the game, and have neither the time nor inclination to invest such hours as they have in banging their heads repeatedly against brick walls. And it’s certainly not remotely in ANet’s financial interest to put a significant portion of its customers off within hours of getting into the expansion, by putting excessively difficult stuff straight across their main path of progress – they’ve paid good money for the new content, and if they get too frustrated, there’s a very good chance that they’ll simply chuck the game in altogether, and go find something else to do.

The simple fact is that the initial tuning of HoT was wrong – great if you were looking for new high end challenges, but lousy if you weren’t. If you went through the new zones on launch day, fine – you could have freeloaded on the backs of all the other players. Anything you possibly wanted to do was being done by dozens of other people at the same time. Very different now, after even a few days – peak times may, conceivably, be different, but most of the time, in the first new zone, if there’re more than a couple of people around even for an event, you’re lucky. And you might as well forget most of the Hero Challenges (at their original difficulties, at least – if they’ve been nerfed, i haven’t tried them yet) unless you’re prepared to wait around shouting out in chat for someone else who happens to want to do the same thing – because they’re hard verging on the undoable if you hope to solo them and haven’t got absolutely top-rate gear and a good spec. The conclusion is inescapable; whether everyone approves or not, main path, key content in HoT was simply too difficult, and needed to be retuned.

Edit: Actually, I’m going to go further, and say that the top-end players are the last ones that Anet needs to keep happy – because they’re the most likely to be earning enough in-game gold to be able to stay well away from shelling out actual cash for game things they want. It’s mostly the more casual ones who want more but don’t have the time/inclination to grind who actually keep the revenue stream active and the game going.

+100…..especially that last paragraph.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Open World Elitism, lol.

Oh come on, you’ll have your hardcore content soon enough. Leave a bone to the casuals that paid to get into this new land, please?

Anyhow, there’s a long precedent of skill points being guarded by champs that were downgraded, and honestly I don’t remember too many complaints about that. Tuning is tuning after all. And we still have group events that can’t be solo’d still… like I dunno… the rest of the game?

• Nor should exploration. Virtually every aspect of GW2 PvE that rewards anything is herd content. Exploration objectives did not need to join that.

And that too.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

The problem is the hardcore community in GW2 seems to be hell bent on turning it into another trash “me first” grind fest MMO and you’ve all collectively failed. ArenaNet is holding to the original tenants of their manifesto.

The “hardcore” crowd is trying nothing of that sort. They play the game according to their preferences, abilities and time. Yes, the world is really like that, with individuals and different likes and dislikes, you wouldn´t believe it!

Posted by: Mike.7263

Mike.7263

Protip: humblebragging about how “hardcore” you are by defending poor design decisions is as transparent as Evon Gnashblade’s greed.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

btw, hero challenge scales too incase ppl dont know.
but dont nerf to the point that solo is much easier than grouping up. otherwise, whats the point of travelling in group?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Champs to veterans? So that’s pretty much faceroll at this point. At least make them Elites and not weak vets.

Posted by: sonicsix.5713

sonicsix.5713

I never understood why all you people demanding “hard” content require Anet to provide it. Take off all your ascended armor, your exotics and wear greens. Switch your cookie cutter meta build to something different, use a weapon that is not the defacto standard for your class… suddenly you have challenging content everywhere you go.

Open world is for soloers! Fractals, dungeons, raids, etc are for groupers.

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

I never understood why all you people demanding “hard” content require Anet to provide it. Take off all your ascended armor, your exotics and wear greens. Switch your cookie cutter meta build to something different, use a weapon that is not the defacto standard for your class… suddenly you have challenging content everywhere you go.

Open world is for soloers! Fractals, dungeons, raids, etc are for groupers.

Not using ascended armor/weapons. Not using any meta builds.

Open world is not for soloers only. This is ultimately MMOG. Massively Multiplayer Online Game. Anet should and actually does encourage grouping. That’s why we have ad hoc groups, no kill stealing and other things.

Your very ideology is what makes me dislike WoW more and more. The fact that it’s all about raids atm and everything else in the open world is brain dead spam that’s the epitome of easy. I could spin what you have said and say that I don;t get it why you demand things to be easy. What’s next? Free legendaries and achievements?

It’s fine if some of it is soloable and some of it requires grouping.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Besides the nerf to the required HP to unlock the full specialization… i’ve just been to the 2nd HP challenge only to discover that it too has been modified… the champion which was suppose to spawn is now just a veteran.

If the contents gets systematically nerfed, people will rush through it… and one month from now they will complain they will not have any content to play. Furthermore there will be a far greater gap between raids… and the new open world content, unless of course raids will be nerfed into the ground as well… in which case i really do not see a future for this game.

I have soloed 90% of all HP champions so far… with two players it should be no problem what so ever.

Heart of Thorns has been amazing so far, don’t take it away from us… please… stahp…

/beg

They are tuning content based on patterns. The game is only becoming better and more approachable as a result. Monday was a horrible time to be in game on Verdant Brink. Today with the tuning and fix the mega-server I feel like I’m finally playing it as intended and it’s awesome. Tuning is a a normal phase post launch for MMOs.

But really, why do you care? You got your reward as your herded though the gate at launch then decided to stay in game from god knows how many hours blasting through new content… The problem is the hardcore community in GW2 seems to be hell bent on turning it into another trash “me first” grind fest MMO and you’ve all collectively failed. ArenaNet is holding to the original tenants of their manifesto.

Let me explain something to you about casual gamers. We are big gem store spenders. We have lives outside the game because we prefer winning and being “me first” in life instead of always accomplishing that in a game world. GW2 has always been the “MMO for everyone” there is still plenty of hardcore content, but you’re not going to steal the game away from the large causal and simi-causal base who love it just as much as you do and probably spend more in the cash shop to support the company.

If you want an MMO that leans heavy on rewarding only the hardcore crowd there are plenty of great options.

ermm…….

semi-casual is the same as semi-hardcore….
do u even know what that even means?

if u think that being casual means u spent limited time, let me tell you that there are tons of people who spent great amount of time but still considered casual because of their attitude towards gaming.

hardcores don’t whine, they get it done and over with. they wouldn’t even whine about how freaking hard it is and will find ways to overcome it. hardcore play the game as it is. the only things the hardcore ever complain are no new contents, bugs and balancing. so, it is pretty obvious that the many who are whining and whining and continue to whine are not hardcores.

btw, semi-hardcore or semi-casual are downgrade from hardcore because they couldn’t spend that amount of time due to real life but that doesn’t mean their attitude towards gaming will become that of a casual.

naturally, casuals use gem store more because hardcores don’t put that much interest into cosmetic stuffs but will still use it to change gems to golds though semi-casual/hardcore will exchange more often.

edit: forgot to mention balancing

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

Quote: “hardcores don’t whine, they get it done and over with. they wouldn’t even whine about how freaking hard it is and will find ways to overcome it. hardcore play the game as it is. the only things the hardcore ever complain are no new contents and bugs. so, it is pretty obvious that the many who are whining and whining and continue to whine are not hardcores.”

That applies for the hardcores, who are actually friendly and care to at least understand where the other party is coming from. Most forum hardcore gamers tend to be rude or flock a whole group of players together to maintain their narrow-minded image of “casuals” “free loot grabbers” “mout breathers” and what not to call them. The hardcore complainers in this board were very, very vocal about not nerfing HPs and whatnot. Unfortunately, many of them posted these concerns as flamebaity and provoking/derogating as possible.

(edited by Mahou.3924)

Posted by: joric.1042

joric.1042

Can’t make everyone happy, you have to make sure the majority is happy otherwise it will just be the hardcore gamers playing and that will make for some very empty maps. This has been a nasty rivalry between hardcore and casuals that I have been on both sides of. Funny thing is both groups need each other to make a game flourish, even though neither side will ever admit it. Frankly I find the need to place people in classes stupid, we’re all gamers with differing opinions. Guild Wars 2 is a casual and hardcore friendly game. If that is too much to handle, it would be sad that one would leave, but there are other MMOs out there that would support those needs. Frankly I think this game gives all people the balance of challenging and no-so-challenging content.

Jorik Nightcloud
Beige(NUDE)
Crystal Desert

Posted by: dom.2748

dom.2748

No, this was a good change. Making hero challenges group events was a foolish mistake from the beginning.

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

Anet stop listening to people before summing up their total real money spent.

Posted by: Anowyyn.2304

Anowyyn.2304

The contents have only been nerfed on hero points. I promise, you still have years of grind in different aspects of the game. Please recognize that not everyone wants to go through all the new maps with old specs. There are also tons of champs still around plus raids inc, and fractals to 100.

For a group that said anyone who wanted hero points reduced for elites were whining, crying, babies, and just plain bad…you sure have a lot of cry in you as well.

Tyria has not ended.

Exactly… nerfing stuff will make it trivial and it will turn into a grindfest… like people doing CoF p1 10000 times (i know the guy who claimed he did that, although i am not sure it is possible… ).

Also… being involved with YouTube and social media for so long i kind of know the numbers… and the numbers don’t look good at all…

I honestly don’t know where they are getting the money to continue, Heart of Thorns has to be big…

Metacritic score is already 7.7…

While I agree with some things you’re posting, you are quite incorrect about numbers waning here. They are fine, in fact they’ve doing quite well for themselves right now.

Metacritic is something a small group of people use. It’s not something I ever look at or really anyone I know and I’m an avid gamer because of how easily it’s manipulated. If you’ve been reading any amount of feedback on there or following posts on the forums here or on reddit you’d see that a lot of people went there to give this game a 0 or 1 to essentially force Arenanet to give them what they wanted (HP change, soloable content in HoT). While I doubt this had the impact they wanted and think it’s a coincidence the HP requirement was changed, the scar on Metacritic will forever remain. That’s the problem with websites like that and why a lot of people don’t read them. They’re easily manipulated when people feel slighted by the smallest aspect of a game and won’t take the whole experience from the game into their rating. The rating was I think below 5 at one point? It’s back up to 7.7 from 7.3 yesterday as people go and change their ratings. But not everyone will. It’s a poor example of how this game is doing.

Posted by: Anowyyn.2304

Anowyyn.2304

Quote: “hardcores don’t whine, they get it done and over with. they wouldn’t even whine about how freaking hard it is and will find ways to overcome it. hardcore play the game as it is. the only things the hardcore ever complain are no new contents and bugs. so, it is pretty obvious that the many who are whining and whining and continue to whine are not hardcores.”

That applies for the hardcores, who are actually friendly and care to at least understand where the other party is coming from. Most forum hardcore gamers tend to be rude or flock a whole group of players together to maintain their narrow-minded image of “casuals” “free loot grabbers” “mout breathers” and what not to call them. The hardcore complainers in this board were very, very vocal about not nerfing HPs and whatnot. Unfortunately, many of them posted these concerns as flamebaity and provoking/derogating as possible.

I play with mostly casual folks. I’m probably considered hardcore because of how much I play and how hard I go at games. That being said I’m glad you recognize that not all of us are bad people, flame, or bait people and actually respect others’ opinions. So thank you for that.

I do disagree with the HP changes personally, but in the end I’m fine with it. It gives me more time to go do other things I want (ACHIEVEMENTS WOO) to spend time doing. I’ve been quite civil, called people out who choose to insult no matter what side of the fence they’re on and in return called a whiner and a hypocrite (that was an interesting one).

But in the end I didn’t buy the expansion for the specializations, which is something I see people saying over and over again. I bought it for everything it has to offer and I’m going to play all of it. I love the story in the game and I’m not alone there.

I hope folks settle down soon about these changes, give the feedback Arenanet is looking for and go back to having fun with this game. After all, that’s why we’re here.