Ascended Gear required to raid?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: saeleth.3915

saeleth.3915

I had heard during a guild discussion that in order to raid players will need to be decked out in full ascended armor, weapons and accessories?

Is this accurate? I would have thought that full exotic armor and weapons would have been enough to raid. If this is true I’m not sure how well it is going to be receivedm

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It is recommended, not required.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: venusiano.8246

venusiano.8246

And recommended means you are going to need it, so yes.

lordkrall.7241

Nope.
Recommended means that it will be easier with it.

Due to the small difference between Exotic and Ascended and the fact that we know that it won’t have to do with Agony, it is very unlikely that it would be possible to do with Ascended but at the same time impossible with Exotic.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Laggo.8973

Laggo.8973

Nope.

Due to the small difference between Exotic and Ascended and the fact that we know that it won’t have to do with Agony, it is very unlikely that it would be possible to do with Ascended but at the same time impossible with Exotic.

Didn’t know 15% DPS was a small difference when you are talking about raid tuning. Great players will be able to make up that difference in exotics. The average player doesn’t even know what a rotation is, let alone getting skilled enough to execute their own properly.

So for the average player, it seems pretty safe to say you will need that DPS boost.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Dungeons are recommended 5 players and are those impossible to do with less?
I must have seen some people with up to 4 invisible players in their party on youtube then.

Posted by: SNIEVES.3964

SNIEVES.3964

so basiclly your saying the average player who has exotic armor and maybe a coup,e of kitten trinkets(jewlery), will have a hard time in raids and possibly getting into raids, because they did not have the gold and expesinve crafting materials to craft asscended armor, thats just like saying you can not get in to DOA in guild wars1 unless you are wearing Obsidian armor set, because any other set of armor your wearing is going to get you kill quickly and alot, thats not fair, basiclly Raid will fall to the Few elite players who have these expensive armor and weapons, thats not fair, and you expect areanet to keep a high fan and player base, right.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

expensive i got mine for free with all the weapon and armor boxes just havent figured out what class i want to be so they are all still boxed up.

Posted by: Zenatsu.2930

Zenatsu.2930

First you will find no pugs for raids unless you feel like trying for 10 hours and give up.

And then it just depends with who you play… but it’s totally doable with exotics.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

My understanding so far is that it won’t be essential like it is for high level fractals (where you need agony resistance to survive and can only get it on ascended gear) but raids will be balanced around everyone using ascended gear.

But bear in mind dungeons are balanced around 5 players in full exotics (and even then they were supposed to be hard) and people do them solo, or in rare and lower gear (or with no armor at all) all the time.

I think it’s a safe bet the first successful raid will be players in full ascended, and speed clear groups will demand it, but once players know how it’s done I bet it will be possible in exotics.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Nope.

Didn’t know 15% DPS was a small difference when you are talking about raid tuning. Great players will be able to make up that difference in exotics. The average player doesn’t even know what a rotation is, let alone getting skilled enough to execute their own properly.

So for the average player, it seems pretty safe to say you will need that DPS boost.

Hold on … While the weapon gives a significant boost in damage, the armor gives a laughable boost to anything.

So the advice here … it’s worth to to make your ascended weapons. It’s dubious if the boost you get from the armor is worth it and it’s definitely not needed.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Nope.

Hold on … While the weapon gives a significant boost in damage, the armor gives a laughable boost to anything.

So the advice here … it’s worth to to make your ascended weapons. It’s dubious if the boost you get from the armor is worth it and it’s definitely not needed.

I think he may have been including trinkets in his calculation. Even so, as much as there are ascended trinkets, the ease with which they can be gained is such that it might be best to not count them in the exotic vs ascended dps debate.

Posted by: Kormeg.2469

Kormeg.2469

Well if raids are supposed to be the hardest content in the game, What do you want them to do? Balance around exotics? Then when people raid with ascended, the exotic-balanced raids won’t be as challenging, right?

No point in discussing this anyway, there’s already a 9 page thread on the same topic with an almost identical title.

People will cry about anything on these forums. Last week ppl were crying about the twitch banner being up for 3 days….

Ashen.2907

Not sure that balancing raids around leveling one’s crafting skill is an indication that they are truly intended to be difficult content.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Nope.

Actually, it is worse, as what they actually said is that they don’t think that the top players will be able to do it without ascended. The average players are not supposed to do it period, regardless of what gear tier they will take.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Ascended that are stronger than Exotics shouldn’t have been introduced in the first place except for adding Infusion slots for Fractals. Thats how it should have been, Exotic power plus Infusion slots. Anet flat out lied to us.

Posted by: Kormeg.2469

Kormeg.2469

Ascended that are stronger than Exotics shouldn’t have been introduced in the first place except for adding Infusion slots for Fractals. Thats how it should have been, Exotic power plus Infusion slots. Anet flat out lied to us.

Because changing a design decision is lying. You are choosing to victimize yourself here.

Ashen.2907

Because changing a design decision is lying. You are choosing to victimize yourself here.

“Changing a design decision,” essentially immediately after taking money from people who bought based on the previous design looks suspiciously like a lie.

Seller: Hey, I will sell you my car for $10k.

Buyer: sure, here is the cash.

Seller (after accepting the cash: I changed my mind, the 10k gets you my lawnmower instead. Enjoy!

GuzziHero.2467

Anet flat out lied to us.

I would like to apologise for this remark I made earlier. It is incorrect and unfair. I know, of course, that at the time of launch and the comment about Exotics being the final tier of gear being made, it is wholly possible that Ascended gear was not in Anet’s design plan.

So yes, I’m sorry for making this comment and I would like to retract it.

Posted by: Kevan.8912

Kevan.8912

Anet flat out lied to us.

I would like to apologise for this remark I made earlier. It is incorrect and unfair. I know, of course, that at the time of launch and the comment about Exotics being the final tier of gear being made, it is wholly possible that Ascended gear was not in Anet’s design plan.

So yes, I’m sorry for making this comment and I would like to retract it.

Well, so it was not a lie. but still they changed their mind, the manifesto is not valid anymore and with it the reason many of us bought the game years ago.
It’s a different kind of game now

GuzziHero.2467

Well, so it was not a lie. but still they changed their mind, the manifesto is not valid anymore and with it the reason many of us bought the game years ago.
It’s a different kind of game now

Indeed. The concepts of grind and buy to win (with in-game currency of course rather than real world moolah if you prefer) have crept into this game like a dark shadow.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Full ascended is only a 10.28% damage increase (unless you get all the costly infusions) over exotics with the bulk of that damage increase coming from the trinkets and weapons. Armor, which is the costliest part of a full set, provides less than a 2% increase in damage. At such a smaller percentage, it’s doubtful that Anet could make a raid in such a way that lacking this 2% would prevent players from completing it.

Since ascended trinkets are so widely available to all players, they should be used in place of exotic trinkets when comparing the two.

Obtena.7952

Nope.

I think he may have been including trinkets in his calculation. Even so, as much as there are ascended trinkets, the ease with which they can be gained is such that it might be best to not count them in the exotic vs ascended dps debate.

No one should be complaining about ascended trinkets anyways … they fall in your lap 10 different ways.

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Nope.

Really? I don’t think its safe to say anything without people actually testing the raid out.

Either way its unfair to expect Anet to factor in a random element like peoples stupidity into the equation. Raids have been described to us as the top end challenge – not an average challenge for your average player.

Even then most raids are all about learning the mechanics and patterns. Eventually top players will post their tactics, builds etc, and do all the hard work for your average player. All you will need is a little perseverance and some research.

I expect a lot of tears when the expansion gets released from your average player crying about how they couldn’t complete the entire raid in the first week.

Ashen.2907

Nope.

No one should be complaining about ascended trinkets anyways … they fall in your lap 10 different ways.

I agree. I think that any comparison between ascended and exotic weapons/armor should assume exotic trinkets for both sides.

Posted by: Sizer.3987

Sizer.3987

so basiclly your saying the average player who has exotic armor and maybe a coup,e of kitten trinkets(jewlery), will have a hard time in raids and possibly getting into raids, because they did not have the gold and expesinve crafting materials to craft asscended armor, thats just like saying you can not get in to DOA in guild wars1 unless you are wearing Obsidian armor set, because any other set of armor your wearing is going to get you kill quickly and alot, thats not fair, basiclly Raid will fall to the Few elite players who have these expensive armor and weapons, thats not fair, and you expect areanet to keep a high fan and player base, right.

Ascended weapons take like 50g to make, thats about 10 hours of gameplay, plus around 100g to level crafting, so add 20 hours. Trinkets require 30 seconds a day for a month to get laurels, plus about 4 hours spread over that month to finish missions. Armor is useless (people already stated reasons why). Lets just call it 40 hours total, or heck, assume youre slow at making gold, so call it 50.

So only a small % of the playerbase has put 50+ hours into this game? Right……

80 Mesmer – Yaks Bend

Posted by: Patrick.7306

Patrick.7306

Well that made that decision easy. Dumping the game. I have no interest in crafting ascended gear just to raid. And for what? More skins to add on to my gear I already made? Whatever.

Posted by: Azumi.9572

Azumi.9572

Well that made that decision easy. Dumping the game. I have no interest in crafting ascended gear just to raid. And for what? More skins to add on to my gear I already made? Whatever.

Raids too strong for you. You’d be a chain around a raid groups neck, anyway.

Can I haves your stuffs though?

Obtena.7952

Of course .. if you were paying attention, you would have come to the opposite conclusion. Whatever.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Full ascended is only a 10.28% damage increase (unless you get all the costly infusions) over exotics with the bulk of that damage increase coming from the trinkets and weapons. Armor, which is the costliest part of a full set, provides less than a 2% increase in damage. At such a smaller percentage, it’s doubtful that Anet could make a raid in such a way that lacking this 2% would prevent players from completing it.

Since ascended trinkets are so widely available to all players, they should be used in place of exotic trinkets when comparing the two.

ascended trinkets are not so widely available, they require 30-45 laurels, people always think of this like people been playing the game for 3 years.
it takes about 2 weeks to get to 80
you cant even buy one ascended with that.
after you hit level 10 fractals, you can get a random wrong stat ring, one attempt per day with about 25% drop rate, or beat it 10 more times to select 1 ring.
unless you join a guild mission running guild that has already fully unlocked guild missions, you will probably be getting 1 acessory every 4-6 weeks.

short version
laurels =30+70+80laurels 100 ectos +250 t650 ectos and fractal stuff
wvw= 20+50+80laurels+100 ectos+750 badges+250 t6+50 ectos and fractal stuff
fractal runner= 30+80 laurels+100 ectos, and 30+fractal runs and 26 days of running fractals

short story, acessories take like 1-3 months for hardcore players, thats hardly negligeable

phys.7689

Ascended weapons take like 50g to make, thats about 10 hours of gameplay, plus around 100g to level crafting, so add 20 hours. Trinkets require 30 seconds a day for a month to get laurels, plus about 4 hours spread over that month to finish missions. Armor is useless (people already stated reasons why). Lets just call it 40 hours total, or heck, assume youre slow at making gold, so call it 50.

So only a small % of the playerbase has put 50+ hours into this game? Right……

one month lockout for the most effecient means(basically you joined a high teir guild, did fractals since level 80 everyday, and burned all your gold on leveling crafting) yea, thats not a lot of crap to do before being “ready” to raid

Ashen.2907

ascended trinkets are not so widely available, they require 30-45 laurels, people always think of this like people been playing the game for 3 years.
after you hit level 10 fractals, you can get a random wrong stat ring, one attempt per day with about 25% drop rate, or beat it 10 more times to select 1 ring.
unless you join a guild mission running guild that has already fully unlocked guild missions, you will probably be getting 1 acessory every 4-6 weeks.

short version
fractal runner= 30+80 laurels+100 ectos, and 30+fractal runs and 26 days of running fractals

short story, acessories take like 1-3 months for hardcore players, thats hardly negligeable

Perhaps, but should people expect to be raiding immediately upon reaching level 80 ?

Most people I have played with were not yet very good at playing their chosen character immediately upon reaching 80. I am not certain that raids are the place to learn to play your character.

I also think that there is a decent amount to do in game after reaching 80, before starting raids.

For me the laurels seem to quickly accumulate while doing other things that interest me.

phys.7689

short version

Perhaps, but should people expect to be raiding immediately upon reaching level 80 ?

Most people I have played with were not yet very good at playing their chosen character immediately upon reaching 80. I am not certain that raids are the place to learn to play your character.

I also think that there is a decent amount to do in game after reaching 80, before starting raids.

For me the laurels seem to quickly accumulate while doing other things that interest me.

yeah, those who wish to raid should probably be able to do it in less than a month after hitting 80.
Most games by the time you are max level, you are ready for the first teir of raid difficulty.
they dont make you do 1 month of logging in, and putting around to no real end before you can try your first raid.
keep in mind that in this game, once you hit 80, and do the dungeons, (which you could do along the way) the other activites basically revolve around grinding easy content for gold and cosmetics. The exception is fractals, but you have to do it a ton, nd the ascended progress part is also time gated.
Id say, if your not interested in farming, youd probably have to repeat dungeons and fractals like 50-80 times each before having ascended
Thats way too many times just to be ready for endgame content

Ayrilana.1396

short version

Rings can be obtained from fractals using pristine relics. You can get at least 1 per day so that’s 20 days back to get both rings. Or you can go to to the WvW laurel vendor and buy one for 25 laurels and 250 badges.

Amulet can get gotten from the WvW laurel vendor for 20 laurels and 250 badges. Badges are easy enough to get from EotM but a brand new player should get enough from their first few achievement chests. They can also do WvW achievements.

Both accessories can be bought for a total of 24 commendations and 10G. It will take you 4 weeks of guild missions to get both. I often see guilds that are advertising for assistance or anyone that wants to join for their guild missions. It also doesn’t hurt to join a guild solely to do guild missions so long as the guild leadership is aware of this beforehand and approve.

You can pretend that it’s difficult to get ascended trinkets but it’s really not. Any new player is capable of getting them within a month of hitting level 80.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Or if you feel confident in your skills, you could make do with your existing gear. It’ll take longer than optimal.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

phys.7689

short version

Rings can be obtained from fractals using pristine relics. You can get at least 1 per day so that’s 20 days back to get both rings. Or you can go to to the WvW laurel vendor and buy one for 25 laurels and 250 badges.

Amulet can get gotten from the WvW laurel vendor for 20 laurels and 250 badges. Badges are easy enough to get from EotM but a brand new player should get enough from their first few achievement chests. They can also do WvW achievements.

Both accessories can be bought for a total of 24 commendations and 10G. It will take you 4 weeks of guild missions to get both. I often see guilds that are advertising for assistance or anyone that wants to join for their guild missions. It also doesn’t hurt to join a guild solely to do guild missions so long as the guild leadership is aware of this beforehand and approve.

You can pretend that it’s difficult to get ascended trinkets but it’s really not. Any new player is capable of getting them within a month of hitting level 80.

30 days after hitting max level is a long time.
and thats, like i said the super effecient method

`

Ayrilana.1396

short version

`

Which doesn’t require a whole lot of effort. Laurels require you to simply log on. Badges you’ll get without much issue just by playing the game until you get to level 80. Guild missions require an hour or two a week. You can do the lowest tier fractal for 20 days which would average about an hour every night. Or they can simply wait an extra month and buy the rings with laurels.

You can keep arguing that the ascended trinkets are not accessible for new players all you want but it will not change the fact that they really are. We also do not know exactly how demanding on stats the raids will be.

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Here’s the question I’d like to know the answer to: When ANET were testing the raids internally and setting the difficulty, were their testers using ascended or exotic gear ?

Because the gear those testers were wearing is the gear ANET designed the raids for.

lordkrall.7241

Here’s the question I’d like to know the answer to: When ANET were testing the raids internally and setting the difficulty, were their testers using ascended or exotic gear ?

Because the gear those testers were wearing is the gear ANET designed the raids for.

Ascended. Thus why they have claimed that the raids are balanced around Ascended gear and Ascended gear being required. Oh and the fact that you could get full Ascended gear during the beta by entering the raid.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

phys.7689

short version

`

Which doesn’t require a whole lot of effort. Laurels require you to simply log on. Badges you’ll get without much issue just by playing the game until you get to level 80. Guild missions require an hour or two a week. You can do the lowest tier fractal for 20 days which would average about an hour every night. Or they can simply wait an extra month and buy the rings with laurels.

You can keep arguing that the ascended trinkets are not accessible for new players all you want but it will not change the fact that they really are. We also do not know exactly how demanding on stats the raids will be.

The point is not the difficulty, its the opposite, its that you have to do boring things for like 30 days in order to get ready for raids. (except fractals)

imagine you had a friend
they like challenging content
they hit 80 in two weeks. And have beaten all paths on every dungeon except arah
now you tell them in about 30 days, they will be ready to attempt raids.
Thats a good design to you?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Or, due to the timegate, let’s call it for what it really is – 4 months for a set. half a years, if you aren’t doing missions, because you and your friends are in a fresh guild.

now you tell them in about 30 days, they will be ready to attempt raids.

That’s thirty days for amulet alone, there are also rings to consider. And earrings if you don’t do mission. That’s 70 laurels more for rings, and 80 more for earrings (to the 180 laurels total).

Or if you feel confident in your skills, you could make do with your existing gear. It’ll take longer than optimal.

Enrage timer says hello.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)