Ascended armor discussion

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: sluringshhh.7403

sluringshhh.7403

Okay before you guys start saying that ascended armor takes just the right amount of time Please dont get angry at the people who dont agree with you.

Heres my problem yes ascended armor should take time and defication but should it be so long that it takes some people over a month to achieve. And alot of the time getting it is just saving up the gold and laurels to get the recipes. Now the argument ive been hearing is that ascended armor should take time because it keeps noobs from raiding therefore making a better experience. My counterargument is that logging once a day to get dailies is not a increase or decrease in skill and in fact will let those noobs get to raiding easier. To get to my point is i want ascended armor to not require laurels, but instead some kindve fun challenge to complete with a party of five that rewards the recipes, and then requiring youto still make your own ascended gear. Now i know that laurels are the most valuable currency in the game and all, but i dont believe that logging in once a day to get my ascended armor is fun it feels stupid and grindy two things arena net tries their best to remove from the game.

Now i dont know if my idea is any better but i drastically want this system to change for the better as many cannot experience some of the game without ascended.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Ascended armor only offers a 2% DPS boost. It’s not really worth it.

Raids have been done in full exotics. I think a group on Reddit were planning on doing it in greens.

There are other ways to acquire ascended armor than through crafting.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

sluringshhh.7403

Raids have been done in full exotics. I think a group on Reddit were planning on doing it in greens.

Every raid guild ive contacted requires ascended armor. Dont care you can do the raid if i cant get a party to budget raid with.

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

It’s fine as is since you can buy it to skip the time gate.

What isn’t okay are the new stat combos and celestial that have an additional timegate of charged Quartz.

Ayrilana.1396

Every raid guild ive contacted requires ascended armor. Dont care you can do the raid if i cant get a party to budget raid with.

That’s a restriction that some guilds have imposed on their members but in no way represents what is required in order to succeed in raids. It’s no different than if they said no DH/Guardians allowed since other classes can do what they do but better. Groups can still suceed with that class.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Absolutely no ‘forced’ party content to acquire Ascended Armor. I’ve never heard the ‘noobs shouldn’t raid’ argument, before. I’m afraid you will have to wait to acquire the Laurels, just as everyone else.

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

ascended armor takes just the right amount of time

2 years of Teq and wvw 0 ascended armor, still in all exotic armor
i think i will be dead be for i even get 2

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

The funny thing is that once you start doing the things that “require” ascended armor (fotm and raids) the cost of it drops substantially. I made my first ascended armor set just before raids came out and it seemed super expensive and grindy to me, but now I’ve got like 7 or 8 sets and the first two probably cost me more than all the others combined. I just geared out a necro yesterday and I just opened 6 boxes and converted them to vipers. I still have 7 or 8 armor boxes sitting in my bank along with some weapon boxes, ascended raid drops, and a kittenload of fotm ascended recipes, plus a bunch of magnetite shards.

I’m not trying to brag about my luck here, I just want to point out that if you’re making ascended armor and actually using it then your future ascended armor sets will probably come at a substantially reduced cost in gold and especially in laurels. So suck up that initial cost and play the video game, and the ascended drops will eventually come.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

I’ve found a really nice raid guild that requires ascended trinkets and weapons, and that you are working towards ascended armor. I also have been taken on training raids that have had the same requirements.

Yes, there are guilds that want ascended armor. There are also guilds that do not. And some that will let you go with exotic armor, and work towards the armor.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: The Zealous Templar.3861

The Zealous Templar.3861

Okay before you guys start saying that ascended armor takes just the right amount of time Please dont get angry at the people who dont agree with you.

Heres my problem yes ascended armor should take time and defication but should it be so long that it takes some people over a month to achieve. And alot of the time getting it is just saving up the gold and laurels to get the recipes. Now the argument ive been hearing is that ascended armor should take time because it keeps noobs from raiding therefore making a better experience. My counterargument is that logging once a day to get dailies is not a increase or decrease in skill and in fact will let those noobs get to raiding easier. To get to my point is i want ascended armor to not require laurels, but instead some kindve fun challenge to complete with a party of five that rewards the recipes, and then requiring youto still make your own ascended gear. Now i know that laurels are the most valuable currency in the game and all, but i dont believe that logging in once a day to get my ascended armor is fun it feels stupid and grindy two things arena net tries their best to remove from the game.

Now i dont know if my idea is any better but i drastically want this system to change for the better as many cannot experience some of the game without ascended.

The thing is ascended armor is account bound allowing you to use one set of gear on multiple characters, for example I use my heavy set on my warrior, guardian and revenant.

It is also possible to easily swap stats of ascended armor so getting any ascended drop is great. It is also great when new stat combinations are released as you can swap to them if you want.

Add this to the increase in offense and larger increase in defense (a major benefit to the armor in for example wvw but nearly irrelevant in pve) as well as the ability to gain more agony resist (and even more stats) via infusions means that ascended armor needs to be priced as it is.

The issue here I think (assuming here) is that you only want the armor for the small increase in offense (probably the reason why guilds are asking for it even though it’s a little over the top) and for that reason alone you feel that it is overpriced. It’s like you want a bike chain but the only way for you to get it is to buy a bike. All I can say is that the other benefits of ascended armor are excellent and if you play this game a lot in the future it’s likely you’ll make use of those benefits and won’t feel like you’ve payed too much.

Posted by: MiloIsMilo.1586

MiloIsMilo.1586

Unless you are looking to do higher level fractals and need the infusion slots for agony resistance, raids with a group that require it, or WvW teams and guilds that require it, ascended isn’t really super beneficial over all to your stat increases. The ability for multiple sets to be switched between toons and the ability to change the stats in the mystic toilet to suit you taste, however, is very beneficial. Ascended isn’t absolutely necessary but it is a nice luxury item to add bragging rights.

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

You said defication. teeheehee

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It doesn’t take a month unless you insist on making all the mats yourself. Instead, buy what you need (using aggressive buy offers) and keep on making mats as you go. Sell the mats, to defray your costs. Depending on the market, you could end up making a profit (although typically, you’ll lose ~3-4%, due to fees).

The main reason ascended takes so much time & effort is so that we value it — for the brief time that exotics were max, people dismissed it as too trivial to obtain. Time gating was a simple-to-implement way to ensure that we would treat ascended different (and the recipes were setup to create demand for previously vendor-trash mats). While the gating does make it nearly impossible for the newest players to get ascended, that wasn’t the primary reason for the mechanics.

Finally, sure, getting into raids is more difficult if you don’t have the gear that a lot of experienced raiders expect (before they train anyone). Good thing that there are a few ways to obtain the gear.

The situation is far from perfect (time gating creates all sorts of annoyances), but the need for and acquisition of ascended gear is not something in urgent need of an overhaul.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

should it be so long that it takes some people over a month to achieve.

We can’t control how slow some people are.

it keeps noobs from raiding therefore making a better experience.

It does? Wow, all those first people who had never done it before were stopped from raiding? I’d be outraged if that made any sense.

To get to my point is i want ascended armor to not require laurels, but instead some kindve fun challenge to complete with a party of five that rewards the recipes

You should have just made that the point of this thread. “anet give us more ways to get laurels or more ways to get ascended gear”. Not the party of five thing cos that would be weird if parties of four didn’t get the same rewards. And then people could have pointed out fractals and world bosses drop ascended gear and you can use guild commendations instead of laurels.

i drastically want this system to change for the better as many cannot experience some of the game without ascended.

I’m not seeing any drastic changes, just that you don’t have any laurels. Anyone can experience some of the game without ascended. I don’t think you mean this, you mean YOU don’t have the laurels to get the ascended gear you mistakenly believe you need to do raids. Join a training guild and try a raid in exotics, you might find after all this worry that you don’t even like raids and had wasted all the effort you spent on getting ascended gear you didn’t even need.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

sluringshhh.7403

should it be so long that it takes some people over a month to achieve.

We can’t control how slow some people are.

it keeps noobs from raiding therefore making a better experience.

It does? Wow, all those first people who had never done it before were stopped from raiding? I’d be outraged if that made any sense.

To get to my point is i want ascended armor to not require laurels, but instead some kindve fun challenge to complete with a party of five that rewards the recipes

You should have just made that the point of this thread. “anet give us more ways to get laurels or more ways to get ascended gear”. Not the party of five thing cos that would be weird if parties of four didn’t get the same rewards. And then people could have pointed out fractals and world bosses drop ascended gear and you can use guild commendations instead of laurels.

i drastically want this system to change for the better as many cannot experience some of the game without ascended.

I’m not seeing any drastic changes, just that you don’t have any laurels. Anyone can experience some of the game without ascended. I don’t think you mean this, you mean YOU don’t have the laurels to get the ascended gear you mistakenly believe you need to do raids. Join a training guild and try a raid in exotics, you might find after all this worry that you don’t even like raids and had wasted all the effort you spent on getting ascended gear you didn’t even need.

It sure seems like a waste of a lot of gold i could be putting out for maxing out my magic find which is more useful in the long run in my opinion. Also laurels do take a while to build up for your first ascended set especially when you have been only playing the game for about 2 months so i only have 4 recipes that i need for my necro out of 10+ recipes i still need not to mention the gold it would costs me to max my crafting professions which i seriously neglected cause ive never liked crafting in any game even though this game obviously has a much more interesting and rewarding crafting system than every other mmo i have played. Ive started to play silverwastes to increase my magic find better without gold and selp the exotics i dont want and dont need for some easy gold profit. also alot of people posting on this forum have expressed alot of helpful tips and advice for a noob to guild wars to specifically wanting to be able to raid before the next wing opens. I think this forum will be helpful to many like me not really understanding why how if its even worth it to get.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I’d suggest you do fractals and the night run dungeons for now and continue reading.

1. Join a training guild, work on levelling and just log in every day, and do the night run, and basic fractals upgrading as you go along. They pay ok money,
  2. The guild(s) you are member of should provide acces to guild missions and thus allow ascneded accsoires (12 guild commendations and 5 gold/ piece)
  3. Fractals should provide rings, pristine relics will buy you a ring in 2-4 days, If you’re lucky you havbe a suitable drop. (10 pristine relcis for one ring with basic stats at ascneded)
  4. Logging in should provide 55 laurels/28 days if you really need them 20-25 of which you’ll need fot your amulet, leaving you with ~70-65 laurels after 2 months for 6 recipe’s for armor and 8 more recipes for weapons. You can use the second acneded box for any choice you want to at this time; This takes care of the trinkets….
  5. Your (guild/pugged) dungeon runs will provide you with 10 gold/day
    (CoF 1,2; SE1,3; AC S,1,2,3) ~1.5 hours, the dungeon tokens can buy you exotics, for runes, or globs of ecto, and t6 mats.
  6. Your (guild/pugged) Fractals will provide you with 3-8 gold/day (more at higher tier), and acces to agony infusions for higher level fractals allowing for possible lucky drops, you could be fractal lvl 75+ when you are done with the 56 days. (t1+(t2), daily) ~45 minutes
  7. Your daily will provide you with 2 gold / day
    Daily ~15 minutes
  • In 2.5 hours/day you can gain 20 gold easily
  • In 56 days this should be ~1120 gold.
  • This isn’t counting materials from drops.

• This should be enough to level to 500 armorcraft and a weaponcraft:
    It’ll also pay: -FULL ASCNEDED ARMOR & 2-3 WEAPONS-,

• And you’ll still need to unlock other proffesions for ranged weapons or caster weapons (likely) unless you’re warrior or elementalist….
  • You could be ready for t3 maybe low t4 in this -same- time window and have your gear for raids… raising your level will give greeater rewars from fractals, but will take more time at lvl 50(+) you are running noticably slower then t1’s even though your party will likely put out more dmg.
  • You should have gotten a vial of mist essence by now allowing you to craft an ascneded backpack as well, this is pretty expensive, or you could start working towards a fractal backpack (and Ad Infinitum….) Your new gear should allow it.
  • Salvage of all blue/green and yellow dungeon- and fractal drops will provide good MF as well as a good base set of materials to work with. An additional suggestion would be to mine iron and platinum.

For some fast and effective mining I’d suggest;
Brisban Wildlands close to the gallowfields waypoint for your iron and
Mount Mealstrom close to criterion waypoint for platinum as starting points,
you shouldn’t forget to bring an axe as well…

Good luck.

P.S. You could also hardgrind SW for more cash, but you’ll only be able to press F in the raid, knowing to work in a team will be of greater value. you’ll learn more builds and classst in dungeons and fractals then running mindlessly in SW CF. Doing higher tier of fractals will teach you more then any other content, except maybe duo or solo dungeons. You’ll have a functional & Ascneded PvE geared character…

TL;DR;
If you want to get ascended armor, trinkets & weapons you farm night dungeons and t1 and later t2 (and maybe t3 fractals) for 56 days; 8 weeks and you should accomplish your goals, you should have farmed approx. 1120 gold. and you should have enough resources to buy trinkets and forge full ascneded gear. HF

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

It sure seems like a waste of a lot of gold i could be putting out for maxing out my magic find which is more useful in the long run in my opinion.

Well that’s your opinion and you’re wrong in mine. MF is a pretty meaningless stat now. You’re not wasting your gold, your using it.
Did I mention guild commendations can be used instead of laurels to get trinkets?

If you’ve only been playing for 2 months then welcome to how it is and was for everyone ever. When I started we didn’t even have ascended gear. Or laurels. In fact most of my toons spent most of their time naked because you had to pay for armour repairs and to WP and events only gave you a copper or two for completing them. I had to complete the whole world, almost naked, some of it uphill in the snow (my norn actually enjoyed that) to get a gift of exploration.

And if I stop for breath I can just point out, again, that you don’t even need ascended gear. I’ve been playing for coming on four years now and I have just (yesterday) completed one full set of ascended armour for my main. My main! Who trudged naked uphill in snow for me! (She’s a sylvari, doesn’t really feel the cold so you don’t need to feel too sorry for her).

If I could give you laurels I would, you end up with more than you need, or at least I have. I got all my rings and things from fractals. Low level ones. I’d suggest starting there and getting free gear and good rewards. Not like it was in my day. 1 copper / event! I did some of them still covered in the snow I’d recently just trudged naked through!

I’m going to take a wild stab in the dark and say ascended items cost you about 100 gold each. I’m sure someone has a better figure. If you aren’t anywhere near having 600 spare golds you shouldn’t be working towards ascended as your short-term goal, it’s just going to make you miserable.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

(edited by General Health.9678)

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

1 month? That’s really fast for my tandards.
I do ascended armor more or less steadily, but I have never completed a full set in less than 2 months.

What’s the rush anyway? You’ll get there eventually, and exotics are good in the meantime.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

it’s about 75g per piece for heavy atm. You can check it out others too.

Example. Zojja’s Breastplate
http://www.gw2spidy.com/recipe/7940

Don’t forget the 100g to level your craft from 400-500. So it’s closer to 100 +( 75 × 6) gold

What’s that like 550g total?

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

A character full geared in ascended items does a good ~15% more damage than the same character in full exotics. Of course, the ascended armor is the part of your gear which provides the least stat points and is the most expensive gear to craft, and outside fractals isn’t even required. But don’t say that is a “2% dps boost” because the impact is larger.

The true problem with ascended armors isn’t the cost of crafting one, but the fact that the same class usually needs different ones for PvE/fractals/raids, wvw raids and wvw roaming/duelling. Oftenly each one of those 3 big departments require different runes and infusions, and a single patch can turn your runes or selected stats into crap.

Overall is better than in most of MMOs, but still demanding for people which want to play the game casually.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

@OP
Stop worrying about laurels, there’s nothing you can do to change the situation. They will accumulate at thier present rate regardless. What you can change is getting yourself into high level fractals. You will need to spend laurels and gold to get there but it’ll be a worthwhile effort in the long run. Plus if your goal is to raid, it’s the best way to practice your skills without actually raiding (not the raid mechanics, but more general skills like dps rotation, stacking, damage mitigation). And yes, it does take more than a month to get fully ascended from scratch.

I’m sure there’s someone in your guild who would be happy to show you the ropes.

Posted by: ardhikaizecson.3697

ardhikaizecson.3697

i’ve been making 5 ascended gears in total just for kicks, and im a casual gamer myself and no plan to do raid anytime soon, i disagree if the recipe could only be obtainable in a challenge which require party of players to finish it since this will punish casual players that just want to acquire a better gear for them considering the original method on acquiring this prestige gear already expensive and hard.

Ayrilana.1396

A character full geared in ascended items does a good ~15% more damage than the same character in full exotics. Of course, the ascended armor is the part of your gear which provides the least stat points and is the most expensive gear to craft, and outside fractals isn’t even required. But don’t say that is a “2% dps boost” because the impact is larger.

The thread is about armor, not all ascended. It’s not larger than 2%. Well maybe it’s like 2.48% as that number sounds familiar. I can’t remember the exact percentage but it’s most definitely below 3%. That percentage isn’t going to be noticeable.

The true problem with ascended armors isn’t the cost of crafting one, but the fact that the same class usually needs different ones for PvE/fractals/raids, wvw raids and wvw roaming/duelling. Oftenly each one of those 3 big departments require different runes and infusions, and a single patch can turn your runes or selected stats into crap.

There’s a difference between need and want. You only need ascended armor for high level fractals. Not because of the stats but merely for the infusion slots. Exotic armor is just fine.

Posted by: Mokk.2397

Mokk.2397

The difference between berzerker and Zoija stat is
around a 5% stat increase per piece of armor.Yes its only a a 2% power increase but with the WvW infusions you get a 5% armor ,vital, or healing increase This may not seem a lot but can make or break you in a fight.Once you add on the extra infusions for your weapon , back piece , rings and so on those small percentages add up. Also with the 4 stat or more pieces ,theirs a little more yet. Myself personally I can tell the difference in WvW and PvE . So I wouldn’t sell ascended gear to short .

Posted by: SoftLight.2175

SoftLight.2175

Ascended Armor takes long to get? Sry but i dont think thats true at all.
For example i started a new Character a few days ago and he´s allready almost fully equiped with 135AR and i crafted nothing for him. Fractal chests. Rings are free, Raidloot, Raid Tokens, Oh and did i mention the Mats you get from raids and fractals aswell? like elonian leather and stuff so you could actually even craft stuff?

But besides the fact, yes ascended gear makes a difference. Is it super big? no! but thats actually not even the point why most guilds want you to have it. They even show you that you can kill the raid with exotics or less.

Is about dedication.

dedication to the game and your characters you play. It shows that you want the best possible stuff for your character. It shows that you invest time and effort to get it. Why you think people like all those legendaries? Because they do 2000% more dps because they cost so much more? No. They show dedication to the game and that the player actually invest time because he likes to invest time in the game he likes to play. Like take this for example. You and your best friends take part in a school soccer tournament and you ask them if they prepared and got their homework done to practice for their team “oh ..no i didnt feel like it. it took too much time, you know. i like soccer but i dont wanna spend so much time on it” while you actually practiced hard because you want to make your teammates win. How would you feel? Thats basicly the same thing.
You want to raid with people who invest time but you dont want to invest time yourself?

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

One month in the life span of this game doesn’t seem like a big time investment.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Buran.3796

There’s a difference between need and want. You only need ascended armor for high level fractals. Not because of the stats but merely for the infusion slots. Exotic armor is just fine.

You need ascended armor for MID level fractals, and at the time you have enough agony resistance to do 50’s you probably did craft a whole armor set.

Let me say one thing about fractals: if you ALREADY have max agony res (150) -which means have doing a lot of fractals before- and you can do high level fractals on regular basis this game mode provides so much saves in ascended gear that most of players start to have problems to keep so much ascended stuff. But before being able to do high rewarding fractals you need to waste huge amounts of time in low and mid fractals, which arfe terribad at rewards and which only purpose is to let you gather materials to craft that agony reistance.

Exotic armor is also almost a death sentence for not harcore groups in PvE raids: for casual guilds and pugs the 5-10-15% losses in dps pretty much means a guaranteed failure at those task. Rais are designed to give small margins to error or dps losses, so in order to do then with exotic armor you must either be a world class player in that departmeont ot the players must stack high dps classes (Tempest) like crazy to reach the goals. You need the right stats with the right traits and skills and even the right food.

Ayrilana.1396

You need ascended armor for MID level fractals, and at the time you have enough agony resistance to do 50’s you probably did craft a whole armor set.

Let me say one thing about fractals: if you ALREADY have max agony res (150) -which means have doing a lot of fractals before- and you can do high level fractals on regular basis this game mode provides so much saves in ascended gear that most of players start to have problems to keep so much ascended stuff. But before being able to do high rewarding fractals you need to waste huge amounts of time in low and mid fractals, which arfe terribad at rewards and which only purpose is to let you gather materials to craft that agony reistance.

Exotic armor is also almost a death sentence for not harcore groups in PvE raids: for casual guilds and pugs the 5-10-15% losses in dps pretty much means a guaranteed failure at those task. Rais are designed to give small margins to error or dps losses, so in order to do then with exotic armor you must either be a world class player in that departmeont ot the players must stack high dps classes (Tempest) like crazy to reach the goals. You need the right stats with the right traits and skills and even the right food.

You don’t need ascended armor for mid level fractals. You can do fractals up to 77 without ascended armor. You can just buy the AR off the TP and then farm fractals to get the +7’s. Not at all that difficult.

Exotic armor is not an almost death sentence in raids. It’s about a 2-3% DPS difference which would not be noticeable. You’re more likely to fail because of messing up in the mechanics than because of DPS.

Buran.3796

You don’t need ascended armor for mid level fractals. You can do fractals up to 77 without ascended armor. You can just buy the AR off the TP and then farm fractals to get the +7’s. Not at all that difficult.

Exotic armor is not an almost death sentence in raids. It’s about a 2-3% DPS difference which would not be noticeable. You’re more likely to fail because of messing up in the mechanics than because of DPS.

In order to do lvl 77 fractals without any ascended armor piece you need your back item to be infused and your two rings to be infused and attuned, and every jewelry piece and weapon to be ascended, which means have been doing fractals for a looong time (so long in fact that the chances are that you’ll craft a full ascended armor before having your rings infused). There’s a long way of unrewarding fractals done before you gain enough agony resistance to get “critical mass”, and then suddenly you start to get flooded by ascended rewards because high level fractals are very profitable. Is not a linear progression at all. Almost every player I known did craft his ascended armor for fractals before having their rings and back piece boosted, which makes perfect sense due attunement only exist since the HoT expansion. So yes, ascended armor is pretty much mandatory for fractals.

In raids the difference between exotic and ascended armor is more or less like this: the more dps you have, the less you have to worry about the clock, and the less you have to worry about the time the easier is to solve mistakes and fails, like ressing a player which falls in downstate and so. I didn’t start to do raids until two weeks ago (being myself more a WvW/PvP player) and did beat Guardian of the Vale the last week and Gorseval just yesterday and my experience is: the more you learn the mechanics the easier goes, but when you need more dps or more healing you need the stats, and if everyone runs in exotics suddenly breakpoints which were facerolls become hard or even impossible to achieve, because the margins become narrow.

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

Two sides, slow and fast:

I started about thinking to create a full ascended set when the feature was introduced and I made plans for that the same time. My crafting professions were arround 0-200, except chef. Until about one year ago, my attempt to get ascended was just getting my first profession Artificer to 450 to craft ascended materials. I crafted them blindly, mostly to get rid of the stacks, only crafted the time-gated ones, but sadly none of the armor related ones. Most of my characters use leather armor, so yes ^^. About one year ago I’ve got my tailor to 450 and was finally able to start crafting stuff needed for the leatherworker 500 – which I did not have either, Huntsman and Leatherworker still arrround 200. By now I have my two professions on 500 and two armor parts missing. By the ammount of time I do farm and the money income I have, I should be able to aquire the last pieces arround xmas 2016. I do some fractals, but honestly I question myself everytime “So i do fractals to obtain agony-resistance, to do more fractals, to get more agony-resistance, to do more fractals, to get more agony-resistance …” and at that point, I realize I still craft my ascended gear way too fast. Also I still try to infuse my rings, but the materials required drop rarely. With the current speed, I may have them completed xmas 2017. Not that I really care about them anyway. Could we get some useful/affordable infusions some day? So activating those slots would make a little sense?

Few months ago we had an exotic player in our guild. We always have and had farmers in the guild, to make that clear. But this guy was a machine. He was camping the farming spots like SW, did dungeons/fractals in the freetime. I’ve never seen him doing something non-efficient in farming terms. Oh wait, I missjudge him. He did, he insulted people when a party did not go well, wiped or newbies were in – that attitude got him kicked from the guild. He was also a huge fan of meta-builds. The standard stereotype of a farmbot. In one of his brighter moments, he joined a discussion in the guildchat about crafting ascended gear and the costs and time needed. He asked me, what he would need to craft a certain staff with (ofc) Zojia stats ^^. I told him about crafting profession, and the expensive mats. He asked me if there is a fast way, and I told him that all the mats can be bought, but for a lot of gold. Then he asked me to list those and what profession he needs at 500. Half an hour later, he had that staff – starting with artificer 0. I beleive this guy still has no clue how the key-mats for ascended armor/weapons are crafted and what ingredients are needed, neither the time and effort it normally takes to obtain them.

I could have completed my ascended-set by now, if I did not participate in building up our guildhall. That thing surely is a huge material and gold-sink. But to be honest, the guildhall was still more rewarding (imho) and I do not regret any donation to it. Everytime I have a look at my shiny stats of the ascended armor, I do question myself why I even bother getting them at all ^^.

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

Ayrilana.1396

In order to do lvl 77 fractals without any ascended armor piece you need your back item to be infused and your two rings to be infused and attuned, and every jewelry piece and weapon to be ascended, which means have been doing fractals for a looong time (so long in fact that the chances are that you’ll craft a full ascended armor before having your rings infused).

There’s no correlation between time spent in fractals and whether you have crafted ascended armor.

Infused rings require mist essence which can efficiently be farmed in the 72 fractal with no AR needed. You can get enough within a few hours at most. Infused back items need a glob essence which can be gotten from the 72 fractal farm. They also need a stack of ecto and gift of ascension. The former you can get everywhere in the game and the TP. The latter can be gotten by doing the 40 fractal farm. If you did the HoT collections, specially the one to unlock the three pact back items, you’ll be awarded with a gift of ascension. So at the minimum, you only really need to go into fractals for the two farms.

There’s a long way of unrewarding fractals done before you gain enough agony resistance to get “critical mass”, and then suddenly you start to get flooded by ascended rewards because high level fractals are very profitable. Is not a linear progression at all. Almost every player I known did craft his ascended armor for fractals before having their rings and back piece boosted, which makes perfect sense due attunement only exist since the HoT expansion. So yes, ascended armor is pretty much mandatory for fractals.

As I have said, you don’t need to spend that much time in FotM to get enough AR to do high level fractals. Just do your dailies and the farms. Ascended armor is only required for levels 77 and above if you already have the other items which you will need anyway.

It’s easy, go into the game, take off your armor from your character with 150 AR. What total AR do you have now? Look at the FotM AR chart and see the highest fractal level that you can do.

In raids the difference between exotic and ascended armor is more or less like this: the more dps you have, the less you have to worry about the clock, and the less you have to worry about the time the easier is to solve mistakes and fails, like ressing a player which falls in downstate and so.

Which does not mean that any DPS boost is required. A full set of armor only provides roughly a 2-3% DPS boost.

I didn’t start to do raids until two weeks ago (being myself more a WvW/PvP player) and did beat Guardian of the Vale the last week and Gorseval just yesterday and my experience is: the more you learn the mechanics the easier goes, but when you need more dps or more healing you need the stats, and if everyone runs in exotics suddenly breakpoints which were facerolls become hard or even impossible to achieve, because the margins become narrow.

Like I said, it’s only 2-3%. It doesn’t matter if one person if in exotic armor or the only group. All the raid bosses have been beaten in full exotic, and not just armor, with plenty of time remaining. What I have said is that ascended is not required.

Here’s a suggestion that I have for you. Go to the new area to test your DPS. Try it with exotic armor and then with ascended armor. You’ll see that the difference is marginally at best.

Look at all of the groups that sell raid spots. Surely one or more people not participating would cause the group’s overall DPS to be lower than if they were all in exotic armor. And yet, they still beat every boss.

tl;dr Ascended armor still isn’t required in order to beat raid bosses so far. It helps but isn’t a necessity. Ascended armor is only required for high level fractals.

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

1 month is too long to acquire best available armor in game? And laurels are limiting you? I’m sorry, but this is just ridiculous.
So, what I’m getting from you post is that people who start playing game should have best available armor in game in less than month. Because if you play for a month you should have all the laurels from daily login chests needed to get recipes.
Try any other MMO and see if you will be able to get best available gear within one month of relatively casual playing. In most cases best gear available will be locked behind raid bosses you won’t be able to access until you’re already someone in that game with guild backing you up and taking you there. And even then you still need to battle the strongest boss of all – RNGeesus.
Here, you can get literally buy the whole armor, and when you finally get it, you’re not stuck with stats and you can change them at any time.

So no, 1 month is not too much time for getting armor that will last you to the end of your playing days in this game.

Posted by: LordOtto.2650

LordOtto.2650

I don’t know guys, but I have got ascended armors in pvp, TT, and wvw… I have on my main DH 3 ascended armors, and in my bank slots 8 ascended armors, so all from drops…I shouldn’t say the ascended weapons… I’ve made 4 on weapon smith, and the rest is from drops… I have all the ascended weapons I need, even 2 of the same type for different characters…
11 ascended armor worth about 1000-1300 gold or more ?! Lucky me