Astralaria I: The 12 day Timegate

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

Straight out the door this baby comes with an arbitrary 12 day timegate, since the Mini Holographic Zinn, which is acquired by printing parts of the study guide, only allows you to print once per day. All the other parts of this collection are fine, but this is a flat timegate and it’s kind of stupid.

Would love to see this removed. I don’t expect to have everything day one, but if I have 300 Leyline Crystals and all the other bits, I should be able to progress the collection, not have to camp a character at the printer, log on, press f, click, log off, rinse repeat for 12 days.

Please remove this pointless timegate.

noice

(edited by mexay.3902)

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Please do not try to get everything this exact moment. Twelve days are nothing if you factor in the other parts you are going to need.

Posted by: Kalliope.4751

Kalliope.4751

Please do not try to get everything this exact moment. Twelve days are nothing if you factor in the other parts you are going to need.

Time gated anything is awful, please do not try to defend it. If twelve days is nothing – because of all the other parts you need to get; then why have them?

Legendary items are already like a second job. If a player wants to put in over-time to get the job done, they should be able to.

mexay.3902

I’m not but considering the entire thing is actually quite a lot of work (have you even seen how long it takes to get 250 Crystalline Ingots?) I feel like adding a timegate like this is kind of arbitrary and serves no real purpose. It doesn’t add anything to gameplay.

Timegates can be a valuable mechanic to enhance gameplay and ensure game longevity. However ArenaNet LOVES to litter them throughout their game because it “gives you something to do each day”. What’s being forgotten is there is already SO MUCH to do.

Timegates on Ascended? Fine, we don’t want the market flooded. Timegates on currency conversion? Fine, we don’t want people to just farm easy events in one map to get all the currency for another.

Timegates for a small lorebook studyguide that’s only reward is a mini and a couple AP? Sorry but that’s a bit ridiculous.

Would love to see some justification from you as to why a timegate is necessary or what it actually adds to the gameplay.

noice

Posted by: Drath.4750

Drath.4750

I know it’s the unpopular opinion, but I like timegated materials as long as they are done tastefully and in a small amount. I thought mawdrey and crafting your own ascended gear both were well paced and the time gate does a lot to protect the market (market not just meaning TP, but also the value of scarcity where timegated items are more unique and prestigious because of the timegate).

Posted by: Predator.9214

Predator.9214

I just hit this wall myself, and holy heck it’s not fun.
I completely agree with the OP.
And this thread has nothing to do with impatiency. I myself have created 6 legendaries and was never rushing with them, but instead taking it slow as the materials pilled up without any rush or pressure to make them as fast as humanly possible.
This is just a shallow way of making a progression towards an in game item.
And this is just the 1st collection. Can’t even dare to think what wait us on others.

Mistwarden Lara (Herald)
Assassin Stef (Daredevil)
Snow Crows (SC) | Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Nightwin.6423

Nightwin.6423

Could someone tell me where the printing guide is?

mexay.3902

Could someone tell me where the printing guide is?

It’s in Rata Novus. If you head to the top lab there should be a doorway at the rear and within it there’s a giant hole to a floor below. Next to that hole is the printer.

noice

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

Legenadaries are no more powerful than Ascended. I find it amusing, all the people responding to the OP “Please don’t expect to….”

Lol,

What possible difference does it make if someone acquires a Lengendary or not? Btw, I have two and only went after them because I was bored waiting for the expansion.

But I don’t see my having them as actually having “accomplished” something in life. In fact, not having equipped them, I plan on selling them once the market for them goes up.

mexay.3902

-snip-

I have to agree, it’s kind of stupid. Now if I were to come in here and complain about how many Crystalline Ingots I needed and a response of “don’t expect to have it day one” was given then fine, I can understand that. It isn’t timegated but requires a lot of effort and time regardless.

THIS does not require effort or anything other than pressing F and making 2 clicks each day for 12 days. Nothing legendary about it.

I already own 2 Legendaries (one being Eternity so let’s say 3), three and a half sets of ascended gear alongside multiple other items and achievements that take a considerable amount of time. I never expected to have any of that the day I set out for it, nor do I expect to have Astralaria on day one. What I imagine is being able to making reasonable progress at a steady pace, to be able to work towards a goal and I imagine this view is reflective of many others on the collection.

noice

Posted by: Goldenrevolver.4371

Goldenrevolver.4371

you have known since like 1 day after release that this existed and u should have combined 1 and 1 to know that its going to be used for legendary weapons. youre just unlucky that it hit the one you want. people who have the crystals (as u said u do) have already started and finished this collection days ago (or maybe my guild was the only one )

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

THIS does not require effort or anything other than pressing F and making 2 clicks each day for 12 days. Nothing legendary about it.

I agree with you. I crafted both Exotic and Ascended Celestial armor and weapons for my Engi. Talk about a time gate! We’re talking, what, 3 or 4 months…..?

But I didn’t care. I knew full well that Ascended was only marginally better than Exotics, but I had the time and materials. And the NBA Finals were on and I could watch them and farm at the same time….

It just kind of amuses (and to be fair, irks) me to hear people (not you!) hold Masteries, Elite Traits, Ascended and Legendary items in such high regards and think that their acquisition is a “moral” accomplishment.

The fact is, these high-end gear are nerfed on all but a few maps in the game, and a good player in PvP or WvW, with nothing but exotics, can whoop some millennial who buys ascended and legendary gear with his daddy’s credit card. As someone who has spent more time in WvW than any other map, I never felt that I “lost” an encounter because I didn’t have high-end gear. And, in fact, I didn’t craft anything other than Exotics till after 2 1/2 years of playing the game.

Lately, too much emphasis has been placed on the wrong things in this game. Imho.

(edited by Soon.5240)

Posted by: Theloseronian.2075

Theloseronian.2075

People are not complaining about the time-gating because they want things NOW.

They are complaining about the fact that it prevents progression on what they currently wanted to work on in the game.
If something takes a long time to complete, people will spend a lot of time completing it.
If something can only be completed in tiny steps, while after every single step something tells you “Sorry, you are not allowed to do that before 24 hours have passed – come back later” most people are going to leave and come back later.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Except… this achieve has been possible for weeks, I already have it completed and I have the mini.

Posted by: Goldenrevolver.4371

Goldenrevolver.4371

Except… this achieve has been possible for weeks, I already have it completed and I have the mini.

exactly as do a lot of people as i said above.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

12 whole days? My god how will anyone be able to make it through that tortuously long time.

Posted by: Syryn.7591

Syryn.7591

Just asking because I have no idea – Do the other legendary collections have the same sort of timegate in their first tier? Yes, it’s been available for weeks, but I’ve been doing a ton of other things and haven’t gotten to that one yet. It’s really “meh” that some people get to essentially skip the first tier timegate having already done the achievement previously while others don’t.

Idk it’s kind of off-putting in my opinion. I enjoy the collections so far but when I read the one-per-day-per-account I was like lolwut.

As for the 12 days not being “that bad” – it’s about perspective. If you want something really badly and are excited about it, then even 2 days can be annoying.

Entryn ele
I main an ele but playeth all the things
[FLOT]

(edited by Syryn.7591)

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

I know it’s the unpopular opinion, but I like timegated materials as long as they are done tastefully and in a small amount. I thought mawdrey and crafting your own ascended gear both were well paced and the time gate does a lot to protect the market (market not just meaning TP, but also the value of scarcity where timegated items are more unique and prestigious because of the timegate).

There’s nothing ‘prestigious’ about logging in once a day for twelve days.

Lots of people seem to attach ‘prestige’ (otherwise known as kitten) to things simply due to ‘time taken’ rather than any inherent level of difficulty .. for example, repeating something 1000 times isn’t hard it’s time-consuming.

Posted by: Huttunen.8309

Huttunen.8309

The legendary itself already takes longer to make than the old legendaries, it’s just dumb they throw random timegated stuff everywhere to make the progress even longer than it should be. I’m not making Astralia myself but it just sounds like really stupid choice of design for me

mexay.3902

People are not complaining about the time-gating because they want things NOW.

They are complaining about the fact that it prevents progression on what they currently wanted to work on in the game.
If something takes a long time to complete, people will spend a lot of time completing it.
If something can only be completed in tiny steps, while after every single step something tells you “Sorry, you are not allowed to do that before 24 hours have passed – come back later” most people are going to leave and come back later.

This. Exactly this.

I’m now sitting on 17/19 for the collection, the only thing stopping me is this timegate, of which I have 9 days left and then I can go speak to Ogden. At that point I’ll be able to progress ahead (hopefully) at the pace I desire. If there’s Ingots, Leather or Damask, I know that I have the option to either wait or jump onto the TP or get guildies to help me. Something I can choose. I’m still working on my other steps, but currently my “precursor journey” is having an alt parked at the printer to log in once a day and press F.

I’m not travelling anywhere, I’m not defeating bosses, I’m not doing anything “legendary”. I’m essentially waiting once a day for a printer to recharge. Surprised the first precursor isn’t labelled “Patience”.

The worst part is that it even costs Ley-line crystals, something you already need thousands of. Just 1300 for the total legendary alone, not even touching on Ley-line Sparks, which are several thousand crystals alone depending on your RNG.

Kind of annoyed at this collection tbh. Hoping the rest can be completed at the pace we choose ourselves.

noice

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

<insert facepalm image here>

kitten it is 12 days although tbh it doesnt really matter if its 12 or 100. thats what it takes to get this item and you either are willing to do it or you are not

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Excludee.3850

Excludee.3850

<insert facepalm image here>
kitten it is 12 days although tbh it doesnt really matter if its 12 or 100. thats what it takes to get this item and you either are willing to do it or you are not

It’s comments like this that make me lose faith in this community. I often wonder to myself if a large portion of the GW2 community has ever played another game.

Having to start and stop on a quest after small steps because of a time gate is just not fun. People want to have fun playing the game. It’s as simple as that. XD

Posted by: Alteraphim.4629

Alteraphim.4629

I’m not but considering the entire thing is actually quite a lot of work (have you even seen how long it takes to get 250 Crystalline Ingots?) I feel like adding a timegate like this is kind of arbitrary and serves no real purpose. It doesn’t add anything to gameplay.

Timegates can be a valuable mechanic to enhance gameplay and ensure game longevity. However ArenaNet LOVES to litter them throughout their game because it “gives you something to do each day”. What’s being forgotten is there is already SO MUCH to do.

Timegates on Ascended? Fine, we don’t want the market flooded. Timegates on currency conversion? Fine, we don’t want people to just farm easy events in one map to get all the currency for another.

Timegates for a small lorebook studyguide that’s only reward is a mini and a couple AP? Sorry but that’s a bit ridiculous.

Would love to see some justification from you as to why a timegate is necessary or what it actually adds to the gameplay.

The time gate is there for other reasons. It’s a fun little collection that awards you with some new lore everyday and it keeps people coming back to that event chain (or even looking for maps that have completed it). I understand the concern for what we might deem “excessive” gating, but I don’t think this is a good example of that.

Posted by: Torture.9156

Torture.9156

Fully agree with OP.

Posted by: kylania.6924

kylania.6924

Only reward? Isn’t this a required piece for a Legendary Weapon as your title says?

I wouldn’t worry anyway, it sounds like your next step of talking to Ogden is bugged anyway

Posted by: arkealia.2713

arkealia.2713

And for me who had already completed the collection before the mini was introduced, I’m screwed because it’s not unlocked and I can’t unlock it anymore…

Edit: it seems I just have to go to the Zinn’s Print-o-Matic to get it.

(edited by arkealia.2713)

Posted by: Ginora.8976

Ginora.8976

YES. Oh my God, I knew that crafting was going to be a very long journey, I knew I was gonna spend A LOT OF TIME on farming materials and currencies but this is just stupid. It’s not like I have a lot of enthusiasm left after I have to do the same boring actions before I can start actually farm/buy materials (because I don’t know the final recipe)… Same goes for the Bolt III. If I have only known that I needed a lot of charged quartz… Ugh. It’s irritating. A lot of people completed their precursors but because of this stupid timegate for quartz I’m still waiting after 3 weeks of bugs in the collection And Astralaria is as dissapoiting as Bolt so far…

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

I personally don’t like time gates usually, but honestly 12 days is nothing for a legendary weapon. At least its not like 6 months or something… Like in other games.

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

lol people are missing the point.. camping a spot to log on press f and log off for twelve days wow how legendary such innovative content.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

You know what’s worse is I finished this before they added the mini for the legendary and now I don’t have the mini RIP.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN