Auric Basin Fatal Lag Spike

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Most of you know what I’m talking about. When you jump down into the lower Tarir area and the game lags so much that your glider fails and you splat. This seems to happen regardless of crowds.
Not game breaking, but it would be an appreciated fix.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

I’m having the same problem since HoT start. The trick is to drop from platform to platform in order to not go splat. A fix would be nice though.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

Most of you know what I’m talking about. When you jump down into the lower Tarir area and the game lags so much that your glider fails and you splat. This seems to happen regardless of crowds.
Not game breaking, but it would be an appreciated fix.

Being that this only happens to some people, what do you propose be fixed? I have never had it happen nor hear of it from any of my guildies.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I can’t say I’ve ever experienced this, even on my not-so-great satellite connection. I realize it’s not a fix, but there are other ways to get down that don’t require the glider; you could just opt for those.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

It did happen to me today. I wp’d back up and jumped in the hole again, this time hitting my glider immediately. That worked, either getting me past the lag moment or else enough players had left the immediate area to reduce the lag by my second jump in.

Though I’ve experienced the same lag spike in my very own City of Hope instances, not usually fatally, so it seems to be part of the rapid descent from one map level to another.

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

It’s not a true ‘lag spike’ as in an internet connection problem, but it’s a delay on your computer with it trying to load the entire underground section once it comes into view that causes frames to be skipped. I’m not sure why the underground isn’t loaded once you enter the main courtyard, given that it’s just below that, but I assume it’s for performance reasons.

The problem hasn’t always existed for me, so it might have been caused by a chance in a patch. Maybe the April one?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s very annoying.

I just spam spacebar for a few seconds on drop. Hopefully by then my altitude will have lowered enough not to kill me.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Elwinson.5962

Elwinson.5962

As Xiahou Mao noted, it’s not a connection-related lag spike. It’s a graphics hitch causing your framerate to freeze temporarily.

I’m pretty sure it has been around since before April though.

Other than the workarounds already described, another one is to point your camera straight up while jumping down. You can level your camera out and take the frame rate hit after you have safely landed.