Auric Basin chests Trolling

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

This is a prime example of players dumping merchants and other items inside chests so other players can’t access them. In this case there was no way to click on the chest that would give a player access to it because of the merchant. The merchant was dropped there tonight sometime before 10:22pm Central US Time.

I wish the devs would put exclusion zones around chests, nodes, NPCs, etc to prevent dropping things on top of them. I couldn’t report it in game because I don’t know which player dropped it plus it would have kept me from getting other chests which would have pleased the troll.

Attachments:

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Looks like it was just one NPC so it was probably a case of someone not stopping to think when they need to sell the junk and sigils and runes rather than a troll.

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

Looks like it was just one NPC so it was probably a case of someone not stopping to think when they need to sell the junk and sigils and runes rather than a troll.

There was two different chests with merchants inside them. It’s happened a lot over the last month. Trolling or not; an exclusion zone would stop this.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

It may not be done on purpose. Remember that there is a boost that drops a merchant when your inventory becomes full. All those chests in one spot is an easy way to trigger that merchant.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

There was two different chests with merchants inside them. It’s happened a lot over the last month. Trolling or not; an exclusion zone would stop this.

May or may not be done on purpose. I usually see a merchant pop up in front of the last chest, which can be considered a courtesy, but at the same time, it has a bad habit of blocking the chest unless you walk all the way behind it.

That said, bolded part is fully agreed with. Player-created spawns should never overlap with other interactables, including other player spawns. Range 100 would be sufficient, probably.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’ve seen it a few times and I’ve always managed to find a place “in” the chest where I could activate it by shuffling around a bit. I’m only talking about Grand chests. I don’t bother with the others.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

When the merchant is placed inside I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem quickly finding a spot to double-click to interact with the chest… maybe I just got lucky. Even when this is done to ore nodes which have a much smaller radius than most/all HoT chests, there’s always a place to double-click if you take a few seconds to try and find it.

An alternative to removing the capability of dropping these merchants might be to make it so when they’re dropped at a chest, they drop on the top… that way the chest can easily be clicked on, but so can the merchant. But, since I’m not a dev I have no idea if that’d be easy/easier to program as opposed to outright merchant banishment or interaction priority change.

~EW

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

It’s happened a lot over the last month. Trolling or not; an exclusion zone would stop this.

That said, bolded part is fully agreed with. Player-created spawns should never overlap with other interactables, including other player spawns. Range 100 would be sufficient, probably.

Tell that to a commander trying to place siege in WvW. Not being allowed to overlap other siege would be a disaster (and open ways for a lot more trolling, too).

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Trolling or not; an exclusion zone would stop this.

May or may not be done on purpose. I usually see a merchant pop up in front of the last chest, which can be considered a courtesy, but at the same time, it has a bad habit of blocking the chest unless you walk all the way behind it.

Completely agree. I hope Anet addresses this.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I actually just ran into that situation earlier but there is no need to walk anywhere since you can just click on the chest. Especially on the last chest which as a fairly large model.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The simple solution is to turn merchants into just a dialogue window for the person that spawns them. This would prevent them from interfering with any other ‘nodes’ or triggers, whether deliberately or accidental.

The downside is you’d have to bring your own merchants if you’re the person who is always running out of room. That’s a change I could live with; I’m not sure everyone can.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s happened a lot over the last month. Trolling or not; an exclusion zone would stop this.

Tell that to a commander trying to place siege in WvW.

Player-created spawns, unlike game-created ones, could not generate this exclusion zone. That would solve the problem easily. You could dump thousands of spawned items on top of each other – you just wouldn’t be able to use them to troll NPCs, chests and the like.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Tasty Pudding.3764

Tasty Pudding.3764

F11 → Control Options → Targeting → Next Ally

Set a key binding for this; I use ‘L’. Then you can press this key to click through all of the friendly targets in range.