Auric Basin map completion gating

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Changer the Elder.2948

Changer the Elder.2948

I apologize beforehand if this has been posted before, I can’t find it on the forums.

I’m generally fine with gating map completion behind a challenge. I don’t mind some places being unreachable without beating Octovine, or without having the appropriate mastery. But I’d like to kindly ask if you could reconsider gating the map completion of Auric Basin behind a story progress gate. It makes sense in-universe, I admit, and I happilly jumped in on my main charr (who can’t, in cruel irony, complete the map, because he’s the only one with 100% Tyria completion).

But forcing us to do story with alts is not something I’d like to see, here or in the future. Please, consider the part of your fanbase and playerbase that consists of roleplayers. And roleplayers, especially nitpicky ones, refuse to have 9 pact commanders running around. My personal story on many of my charrs still sits on “contact your warband in home instance”, because I simply don’t want them to follow the very same path others before them did.

While I can bypass the inability to enter my racial homeinstance by entering anyone else’s, locking a POI, a vista (and to some degree, sanctum scramble, but its completion’s account-wide anyway) behind a mandatorily chosen chapter in story is just wrong. I’d like to kindly remind you Claw Island also doesn’t count for Map completion.

And quite frankly, even if I wasn’t a roleplayer, doing the same 8 chapters of story 9 times over just to reach a single place is just plain stupid.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

I assume you are talking about Inner Chamber poi and vista?
I can see where you are coming from, a guy asked me to show him how to get there just to realize he couldn’t enter because he didn’t reach that story chapter yet.

Posted by: vanderwolf.7084

vanderwolf.7084

I see what you’re saying…

I think it should be like how queen jennah’s throne room is still accessable.

but also.

why do you have 9 charr?

no, go home, you’re drunk.
death to the charr
revenge for ascalon
-foams at mouth-

Posted by: sosheepster.9043

sosheepster.9043

I have 11 characters…some friends have 19, others have more. :scream:
I didn’t know some of the map stuff are gated behind the story

Changer the Elder.2948

Maybe not always accessible, there’s plenty tied to the story of Heart of Thorns one is forced to run through it at least once, anyways, but it could instead ask for an achievement pass instead of character-bound one.

It could even be handwaved in-universe, reasoning that “oh, I sense your connection to the egg bearer, they must have sent you” or something along the lines.

Vanderwolf: For the legions. Also because some don’t want to play as an overgrown beardless ken doll, voice of Nolan North notwithstanding. And because being a human is boring. I should know, I’m one in real life :P

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’m not sure what POI you think is inaccessible? Can you post kitten

You can reach the inner chamber without doing the story. There is even a JP in that room. You can reach the throne room outside of the story too.

Fairly certain there aren’t any points that are story only.

Changer the Elder.2948

I’m talking about the Inner Chamber. Every time I try to enter it as anyone else but the only charr who did that story step, it tells “me only the egg-bearer may enter”.

If there’s an alternate path than hopping down the hole and going through the chamber door, I’m eager to hear it, please.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I don’t like being forced to do the exact same story on all of my alts just to get map completion on all of them. In my opinion, that’s a stupid tie-in.

Also, is there any word on whether or not the map completion rewards are actually bugged or do they not intend to have any map completion rewards since no map since Orr has ever had them?

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

I don’t like being forced to do the exact same story on all of my alts just to get map completion on all of them. In my opinion, that’s a stupid tie-in.

Also, is there any word on whether or not the map completion rewards are actually bugged or do they not intend to have any map completion rewards since no map since Orr has ever had them?

Yggdrasill collection tells me pretty straightly that ther are map completion chests meant for this expansion maps – as said Yggdrasil colelction have requirement for an item told to be “Reward for a map completion at magus falls map with a ranger”…..

so ofc bugged one way or another….

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Celtic Lady.3729

Yggdrasill collection tells me pretty straightly that ther are map completion chests meant for this expansion maps – as said Yggdrasil colelction have requirement for an item told to be “Reward for a map completion at magus falls map with a ranger”…..

Wait. We are going to get map completion rewards only if we do it on a RANGER?

Changer the Elder.2948

No, you get map completion rewards on ALL classes, and you get them in Southsun, Dry Top and Silverwastes, too. Alas, it’s only on characters who haven’t completed it yet, and haven’t completed central Tyria 100%, because then it bugs out.

You can complete the map with any class, and for that class, you’re supposed to get a bonus chest for the elite specialization collection that unlocks your elite’s ascended weapon. Yggdrasil is merely a reward collection for druids (it’s a stick. Literally. Roots included), part of which is completing ANY of the new Maguuma Falls map with the class, among other jolly things.

Each class has those, and they unlock upon getting the first elite spec skill unlocked for you to collect. So in total, to get every elite class box, you need to complete any of the Maguuma maps 9 times over (not necessary to do the same map).

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

I apologize beforehand if this has been posted before, I can’t find it on the forums.

I’m generally fine with gating map completion behind a challenge. I don’t mind some places being unreachable without beating Octovine, or without having the appropriate mastery. But I’d like to kindly ask if you could reconsider gating the map completion of Auric Basin behind a story progress gate. It makes sense in-universe, I admit, and I happilly jumped in on my main charr (who can’t, in cruel irony, complete the map, because he’s the only one with 100% Tyria completion).

But forcing us to do story with alts is not something I’d like to see, here or in the future. Please, consider the part of your fanbase and playerbase that consists of roleplayers. And roleplayers, especially nitpicky ones, refuse to have 9 pact commanders running around. My personal story on many of my charrs still sits on “contact your warband in home instance”, because I simply don’t want them to follow the very same path others before them did.

While I can bypass the inability to enter my racial homeinstance by entering anyone else’s, locking a POI, a vista (and to some degree, sanctum scramble, but its completion’s account-wide anyway) behind a mandatorily chosen chapter in story is just wrong. I’d like to kindly remind you Claw Island also doesn’t count for Map completion.

And quite frankly, even if I wasn’t a roleplayer, doing the same 8 chapters of story 9 times over just to reach a single place is just plain stupid.

I’m more annoyed at the POI gated behind exalted acceptance….

I am fine with event gating, but masteries should make things easier to get, not act as a hard gate to stop people not getting them.

Posted by: Dasturdly.7145

Dasturdly.7145

So any idea if this is a bug or now do i have to do the story on the toon i was map completing on since this is the only place i need for it.

Feline Grace [Meow]

Celtic Lady.3729

Each class has those, and they unlock upon getting the first elite spec skill unlocked for you to collect. So in total, to get every elite class box, you need to complete any of the Maguuma maps 9 times over (not necessary to do the same map).

Wow. Okay, thanks for explaining that, but this system seems really grindy.

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

I just ran into this today and it sucks. I already did the story on one toon and don’t want to do it on any others, but if I want to get Auric map completion on all toons, I have to grind through that boring as crap story on every one of them.

There is just way too much gating in this game, and it blows. Really frustrating, anti-fun game design forcing you into a corner at every turn.

Posted by: Dimi Gravedancer.1463

Dimi Gravedancer.1463

The Completion reward for Yggdrasill is for the collection base. You will still get a Completion reward. As far as the collection is concerned the only way to get a particular item for the collection, is to complete it on a Ranger. After all the collection is for Kudzu

I Can outrun a Centaur!!! Crap TREE!!!!

Posted by: Wynterbourne.3189

Wynterbourne.3189

Okay. Good to know I’m not losing my mind. I did the story with my main. Got map completion of Verdant Brink and Auric Basin with her, then got Verdant Brink with two of my alts. Today I start map completion of Auric Basin with one of those alts, run up to the door (happy to have a better idea of how to get to everything) only to get the message “Only the egg bearer may enter here! You cannot access the inner chamber.” I was very confused for a moment and then not very happy. Not a fan of this.

Posted by: Coldmail.9672

Coldmail.9672

Yes can we fix this please I already did map AB completion on main with story. Don’t want to do story again just to get an alt completion of AB . . . .

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

Yes can we fix this please I already did map AB completion on main with story. Don’t want to do story again just to get an alt completion of AB . . . .

This is old and has been fixed if it’s not for you then contact support

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I second this. I did story once and did map completion, now I will eventually finish it another 1 or 2 times. But for the rest, let us finish the map, really.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Remember Caer Aval?
Watching Eir dieing nine times is cruel also.

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Not able to test this atm, but have you tried a Mesmer portal?
I know it works on the other end with the fallen mask challenge

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

This is old and has been fixed if it’s not for you then contact support

It’s account wide access now? Where is the post saying this change was made? I’ll be happy to take alts to Tarir for that bit of completion without doing story on them first (though I’ll likely do story a few more times for the other benefits).

Posted by: hotcatz.6834

hotcatz.6834

It’s not unlocked account wide (at least not for me) you still get the message about going the egg bearer……

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Remember Caer Aval?
Watching Eir dieing nine times is cruel also.

Ehh, after the first time, it had no value.

Scruffy’s death on the other hand. Gets me (almost) every time.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Cullen.8156

Cullen.8156

This has not changed. I have map comp on all four maps with my Mesmer. I am trying to complete AB on my ranger and I get this same message. I didn’t do the story on the GW2 with my other char and I don’t want to do this 8 more times for these four maps. I am about done with the game.

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

I think it’s ok to ask the character to finish it once and unlock the account, right now it’s too painful.

Posted by: Berserk Steve.1530

Berserk Steve.1530

I am one of the people who doesn’t really run into this issue, not a multiple map completionist. But at least one guild member always has serious problems with this and it is unfair. He has completed this countless times now. I know others wouldn’t have the patience and shouldn’t have to. 3 story completions for 3 order backpacks should be enough.