BW3 Difficulty Nerf [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Hence.3542

Hence.3542

Totally agree. I loved the thrill of the fight in BWE2. The mobs and environment felt dangerous and I actually felt good running past on a healing tempest helping a poor soul out, who was about to go down. Nothing felt particularly over the top though, very close to perfect in my opinion.

The flat out removal of difficulty in the first story part was lame. BWE I was so happy when Rytlock showed up because it felt like a struggle and with him there I felt like I needed his help rather than this time: GET OFF MY SCREEN CHAR you’re interrupting my slaughter.

I’m running clerics tempest again this time and well… Things die fast to me ahahah I know I’m playing a healing spec – I want to roam support people and help out – If I really wanted to do kill things quickly I’d play berserker’s build or some close combo.

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

I didn’t get the mess around with the Defiance mechanics because everything died so incredibly ez.

Posted by: Pada.1824

Pada.1824

YES! more hard encounters pls, we got all other Tyria for easy stuff ,we want to get feared to go alone at the jugle :P

Posted by: Nieguen.6235

Nieguen.6235

The challenging content brought to open world as well said by Colin was gone away with BWE3. I don’t even have to look at the mobs, it is so easy to kill…

Posted by: Pada.1824

Pada.1824

I agree, we need stuff that are harder to die, like in other BWEs

Posted by: Bee.7081

Bee.7081

Please, change the difficulty back to where it was. Now it is just a walk in the park.
If you have made it easier because there were some crying about them being hard, are you going to nerf the difficulty of upcoming raids too?!

This is lvl 80 content… at least make the mobs as hard as they are on Cursed Shore… This is not Queensdale!

(edited by Bee.7081)

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

I agree, but one thing, the area we can play in is different from the last BW, this might be the reason!?

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

I have to agree, for someone that wants to end the “zerker meta”, this goes to the opposite side of that, open world pve in the new zones is a joke you can run with zerker gear without given a crap :S

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Snipers need to be brought back, they are a slight pain but that is all they are.
I also think that I can take on too many mobs at once, great that the character is killing everything but that to me becomes boring fast. No requirement to slow down and think.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Very kind of you Anet to listen to the playerbase and nerf the content… Though I think the vocal majority seems to be us who do want it a little more difficult.

I realy liked the difficulty during BWE 1-2 and when players made posts about nerfing I didn’t stay quite I tried to tell them that the difficulty was ok.

Now what I fealt and noticed while playing was that I was killing realy easy and I could pull whole groups of modrem myself and kill them. I then noticed a Zerker Warrior running past up a slope with a few veteran enemies, a few seconds later they where dead and the warrior kept running to the next enemy, swoop swoop and it where dead. I am afraid that with this easy difficulty the Zerker meta will thrive.

And to point out to those who says that it was so filled with enemies before so you couldn’t run past them, well duh? You are not supposed to! Second I actually managed to run through most of the map without killing mobs, they did manage to immobelize me and hurt me but never kill me. If you are not planning to kill anything then why are you running with Zerker?

Edit:

I agree, but one thing, the area we can play in is different from the last BW, this might be the reason!?

No I am pretty sure it is the same map as BWE2, they have just added Raid instance. It feels like the events scale less now, I never manage to get to an event that just started before it is done from players allready being there and during BWE2 I always had a group of enemies to try out my builds but now I have problems finding them. Snipers damage is far less than before and they have a stealth and a knockdown skill now, they are cooler now but a little too easy.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Please, change the difficulty back to where it was. Now it is just a walk in the park.
If you have made it easier because there were some crying about them being hard, are you going to nerf the difficulty of upcoming raids too?!

This is lvl 80 content… at least make the mobs as hard as they are on Cursed Shore… This is not Queensdale!

Wow, mobs are weaker than the mobs in Cursed Shore? That would be sad, really.

Posted by: philheat.3956

philheat.3956

I agree but maybe anet did it to show us the difference and get feedbacks

It’s always a beta.

Posted by: Tybolt.8503

Tybolt.8503

The level of difficulty in this BWE has been disappointingly low. There is absolutely no feeling of concern or “oh crap” moments whilst exploring the content this time around. Being as this is the last BWE, I’m genuinely concerned that this level of difficulty could tank the expansion.

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

+1 to this thread, bring back the snipers and increase the mob density again

Posted by: Al Shamari.7234

Al Shamari.7234

Hello developers,

First and foremost I want to say that I appreciate the hard work you guys have put into everything lately – I know it’s crunch time and that many of you are working extraneously long hours in order to fulfill a deadline, it’s been apparent since the streams at Twitchcon. I know everything isn’t going 100% according to plan, but that’s what beta-testing is for.

Now, I would like to raise the point that the open world content difficult for this Beta Weekend Event (BWE3) has been toned down too far – I think I speak for many players when I say that with Heart of Thorns, we were expecting a greater challenge, both from “challenging group content” as well as the A.I. utilized by monsters throughout the open world.

From my experience today, which has been echoed by many other players both in-game and other forums such as Reddit, the content has been far easier – I think this is a mistake. I’ve even noticed that specific monsters have been removed from the map altogether, which I also feel is a mistake. I think allowing open world content to present itself as a challenge incentivizes players to not only learn mechanics that don’t present themselves purely by scratching the surface, but it also encourages open world communication – it requires players talk to one another and self-organize, something I believe the game is lacking throughout most of its open world content.

I also believe I speak for a large pool of players when I say that myself and others were relatively happy with the way the open world content was tuned during the previous Beta Weekend Event (BWE2). It felt difficult, but didn’t present itself as an impossibility or cause frustration. Simply put, it really felt close to perfect.

Many of us are afraid that through your own fear that content may frustrate players, or be too difficult for them, that you will drastically tune down the difficulty of open world content as you’ve done several times in the past – Tequatal and Orr both being notable examples of this.

So – I’ve made this post to urge you not to keep the current turning for open world content, to revert the turning to the difficulty presented to us during BWE2. I believe that this would not only be a welcome change from most players, but that in doing so, it would create positive changes within the game itself as well.

So please Arenanet, re-tune open world content so that it’s more difficult – provoke skilled play and communication within your player base, and allow the mechanics to shine brighter than they ever have before.

Sincerely,

Shamari, and many other players.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It needed some tweaking, but sometimes I’m lucky to find a mob now let alone find anything dangerous to attack me.

If it’s a comparison between the 2 difficulties, I’d lean closer to how it was in BWE2. It was hard, but fun

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I can’t speak for open world stuff yet, but I was wondering why the demo story instance felt so easy, so I guess it is not just my imagination.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I don’t understand why anyone wants this amount of difficulty for open world content that is supposed to be accessible by anybody. These enemies are way too difficult. I shouldn’t need to travel with a zerg just to survive pve. Again, keep this to raids if people want content this hard.

Well I think it is becouse we are all different, but in my opinion I didn’t have the same problem as you. I play solo during all three BWE’s and I played with all classes trying out the elite specs and I tried different builds like PVT, Cleric, Carrion, Zerker and more and the only time I did have problems was when I was playing a zerker Daredevil the rest of the times I could manage to get through the whole map solo and do most events solo as long as I was planning ahead and just didn’t run in with my head first.

In my opinion, you should not be able to run zerker and kill everything in two hits without worrying about dieing. If you run Zerker you have to be aware of your surroundings and know when to utilize your dodges, blocks and more not just run in hit a few times and run to the next target.

If I go PVT I trade most pure damage and Condition damage for Survivability.
If I go Zerker I trade survivabilty for pure damage.
If I go Carrion I trade a little survivabilty for more Condition Damage and a litte pure damage.
And so on… At the moment with BWE3’s difficulty it will be like before, you will rather go with Zerker as you won’t die and thus don’t need PVT or anything else.

TL,DR: To answer your question in my opinion, I don’t want Zerker to be the only Meta and when it is this easy it will be.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

They’ve literally only ever buffed Tequatl. We just got a lot better at killing him, then they buffed everyone with the specialization patch and let him be crit, so they buffed him.

But yes, everything else you said is true, and it looks like most players really want the difficulty back.

Calcifire.1864

signed. BWE2 was fun, this is just a snoozefest

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

I appreciate that they’re trying to tune the difficulty. I definitely agree that it’s swung much too far towards the easy side now.

Maybe don’t make it as hard as BWE2, but it should definitely be more challenging than it is now.

Posted by: sharkswithlazers.7632

sharkswithlazers.7632

Please, this doesn’t need a petition, they know. No one is arguing that this content is satisfying. Just let them know on the forums that this is an issue. Petition just seems… overdramatic.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Or you are just better at playing, as you now know what to expect? People seem to forget that what makes most things difficult is not knowing what you are doing. Once you do. Most of the difficulty is gone.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Al Shamari.7234

Al Shamari.7234

Please, this doesn’t need a petition, they know. No one is arguing that this content is satisfying. Just let them know on the forums that this is an issue. Petition just seems… overdramatic.

Sorry if you feel is sounds “overdramatic”, but a petition literally just boils down to a “request to do something” – which is exactly what we’re trying to do.

Calcifire.1864

you must be new to forums, “petition threads” are made exclusively for adding another voice to the crowd, and for people who agreee but don’t want to write an essay about the nature of difficulty in video games to get their voice heard

it’s a token gesture to call it a petition thread and will probably get merged into a single thread by our overzealous moderators so the devs can ignore it easier

Or you are just better at playing, as you now know what to expect? People seem to forget that what makes most things difficult is not knowing what you are doing. Once you do. Most of the difficulty is gone.

in this case that is not true, they completely removed an enemy type (mordrem snipers) and lowered the enemy density

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

No, they were statistically nerfed. They die in noticeably fewer hits. It’s not a skill thing.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

Except that’s not what happened. Remember all those Mordrem Snipers that killed so many people in the intro mission? They’ve been straight up removed. I haven’t found a single one in the wild except in the blighting tree area and the late night defense events. A lot of the dangerous enemies were just entirely removed and replaced with mordrem grunts, and many of the other hylek enemies got severe damage and health reductions.

Posted by: Arctarius.2649

Arctarius.2649

I agree, I missed the beta 2 because i was so absorbed with testing out dd in pvp..and now with excitement from hearing about the last BWE I went in hoping for some epic challenge…but I just face rolled everything and felt disappointed. I would also like to point out i was playing the most underpowered new spec the daredevil and STILL destroying everything with ease. I highly agree…raise the difficulty, im tired of playing ’slap keyboard and get rewarded" I want to be challenged, we have brains..we will figure it out. those that cant handle it, tough. leave then, go play mario.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

you must be new to forums, “petition threads” are made exclusively for adding another voice to the crowd, and for people who agreee but don’t want to write an essay about the nature of difficulty in video games to get their voice heard

it’s a token gesture to call it a petition thread and will probably get merged into a single thread by our overzealous moderators so the devs can ignore it easier

You must be new too, ANet do not like “petition threads”, they tend to get locked down or deleted shortly after. They see them as demands, the title would have been better if it said “suggestion, rase open world difficulty”.

As it stands it sounds like a demand, not a request.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Stormbolt.7293

I get Anet catering to casual players in the base game, but this is an expansion designed and marketed towards veterans. It should be tough as nails. It’s a level 80 zone in an expansion, casuals or newbies won’t be playing this.

Posted by: Arctarius.2649

Arctarius.2649

Well regardless of petition or suggestion…it needs to change. Noone likes killing things while not paying attention…how on earth is that fun?? I like challenge! I dont know if I can speak for everyone but I like using wit and actually devising ways to overcome tough obstetrical…if anyone argues with this then please leave this game and go play some other mindless game where you can get rewards for doing nothing…because i am sick and tired of this game feeling that way because of those people.

Calcifire.1864

You must be new too, ANet do not like “petition threads”, they tend to get locked down or deleted shortly after. They see them as demands, the title would have been better if it said “suggestion, rase open world difficulty”.

As it stands it sounds like a demand, not a request.

I was being snarky, sorry that doesnt translate to text well.

I’m well aware that these threads are futile, I even likened it to “another voice in a crowd”, something that doesnt matter and is unnoticeable, like a gnat farting in a hurricane.

this sort of thing happens in any video game forum, 5 threads of moaning, one “petition”, then they all get merged and ignored :P

and nope, not new, just jaded, decaffinated and snarky. at this point the pattern has repeated so often that it’s just become fun to play along with the theatrics.

(edited by Calcifire.1864)

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

I agree, difficulty in BWE2 was much better

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: GummyBearSummoner.7941

GummyBearSummoner.7941

@Walhalla @isarii
if I remember correctly, there were some people that were asking to nerf the snippers because it was ‘too difficult’ for them to do anything. Not sure where that post went tho. Im guessing that’s why they got removed from the first story and from some parts of the map

GummyBearSummoner.7941

signed

/15 Charrs

GummyBearSummoner.7941

I get Anet catering to casual players in the base game, but this is an expansion designed and marketed towards veterans. It should be tough as nails. It’s a level 80 zone in an expansion, casuals or newbies won’t be playing this.

Agreed! The last Beta weekend was so great because the mobs were difficult and it actually made you think twice on what to do next. I also miss those snippers </3

Posted by: molochmrk.9138

molochmrk.9138

First forum post for me. (And I’ve been here since the original betas)

Please don’t do this again! Leave the HoT maps challenging!

Posted by: kalikojak.8950

kalikojak.8950

Never posted on forums before but this got me.
Yup. I agree entirely. Removing the snipers was a bad move, as they put so much more pressure on me to eliminate them and watch for telegraphs. The enemy HP was also reduced far to greatly. I felt like I was just out in Kessex mowing mobs down with aoe again. 0 consequences for poor play. In addition, the npc’s in the story mode will help you up if you get downed anyway; you can’t lose. There shouldn’t be the same catering to new players in HOT that there is in the core game. Everyone in Maguuma has made it through the game and understands how combat works, they should be challenged, not pandered to. Please please please don’t water down the challenging combat we’ve all been looking forward to. BWE2’s balance was excellent.

Posted by: Vestrel.3214

Vestrel.3214

Make it like how it was in BWE2

Posted by: Allusir.5630

Allusir.5630

I liked the difficulty of BWE2 as well. I started playing like I play everything else in the game and found myself almost dead very quickly. I couldn’t just spam one and hide behind NPCs in full zerker gear while messing around on my iPad. I had to pay attention. Once I paid attention, I could keep up, so it wasn’t stressfully hard. It was a very nice balance.

As far as casual players, they can still participate in harder content, they just need to travel with more friends (aka guilds will actually have to do things together in open world areas… right now there is no reason to do anything open world with your guild. You can solo anywhere).

Or, we have this wonderful new squad UI. Having content that is more difficult and needs a group for casual players to survive will actually give people with commander tags something to do…

Posted by: evnw.9324

evnw.9324

signed! I’m looking forward to challenging open world content

Stormbolt.7293

Agreed! The last Beta weekend was so great because the mobs were difficult and it actually made you think twice on what to do next. I also miss those snippers </3

It’s all about understanding your audience. The core game is populated with casual PvE players who want to grind a few world bosses. HoT will be populated with seasoned veterans who run meta builds and can tear through trash mobs with no trouble.

Posted by: terminatorkobold.6031

terminatorkobold.6031

I agree

The mobs are way too easy now and it makes the whole map seem boring :-(
I enjoyed having to be aware of the surrounding mobs to avoid being rekt on the previous bwe.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

The only mobs that anyone thought were problematic in prior betas were the snipers and smokescales. Snipers have not just been nerfed they just got removed. What needed to happen with snipers is to have a cooldown on their sniping skill so that if you interrupted it it was meaningful (they’d just do the snipe skill again until you were out of interrupts or were dead)

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

We crave danger, make it harder.

We can always go back to farming silverwastes for ez moad.

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

…If this was easy, then we need a massive overhaul on dps for the druid…

I went full cleric with staff… it took ~2-3+ minutes for 1 veteran beetle… I just press 1 and alt tab

Simple fix: Don’t play druid and don’t use clerics if you want to do DPS…

P.S. My main is a ranger.

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I don’t want to demand anything from Anet since they should know best about their game.

I agree that difficulty felt on par in BWE2. I did a few events yesterday and the mobs just melted away. And away was the feeling of danger in the jungle zone. I was pretty bummed and emotional… they removed the perfect open world difficulty. May it have frustrated some people? Probably yes. Should a new lv.80 zone which introduces hardcore content be harder than what we had before? Absolutely imo.

In my experience yesterday I wore defensive celestial armor and the enemies literally melted away in seconds. I took little to no damage most of the time. I have to admit that I saw some difficulty spikes where I met mobs which still posed a challenge, but it was rare.

When traversing the map I had the feeling that I cheated through it. BWE2 had that fun experience that pulling too many enemies made the situation escalate pretty fast. That was awesome.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: unknowable.8470

unknowable.8470

Yup bring back the old balancing, this is terribly easy.

It is amazing how quickly this has tanked my enthusiasm in regards to the potential of the expansion. If they are just following old trends like this

Posted by: Malin.2490

Malin.2490

I am a filthy casual, but I want a challenge, you know? Silverwastes or Southsun feels more dangerous than this… Please tweak things back up again! Right now it feels like playing events in Cursed Shore, where you have to be lucky to even land a hit on the mob and get credit before they die.

Jamail Saoud [Nice], the man with the Drake

Posted by: Theloseronian.2075

Theloseronian.2075

The only issues I had in BWE 2 was with the smokescales (too many blinds/evades, and they never moved out of their safe zone long enough to land a hit on them) and to a lesser extend the snipers (interrupts were just a waste, dodging behind them seemed the only option)

Besides that, it was great to have to asess the situation an a plan before running at some mobs – something I usually only had to do when I try to solo champoins on underleved characters.

Now it feels even more easy than running around in Silverwastes

(edited by Theloseronian.2075)