BW3 Difficulty Nerf [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Fishious.9352

Fishious.9352

I’ve been playing since the original beta and this is my first post on the official forums. I’m usually content to sit back and watch these things play out, but I feel the need to raise my voice here. First, I’d like to thank Arenanet and its developers for an amazing game. The increased responsiveness from the devs during this beta has been amazing. I feel like the playerbase and developers are more connected than we’ve ever been before. So please take the time to listen to and consider the issues I and other players have regarding the current difficulty.

Put flatly, Verdant Brink’s difficulty in BWE3 is too easy. When I took my druid into that first story instance and then into the map itself I was shocked by how easy it was. At first I thought maybe it was a difference in my strategy, familiarity with the area, or the class, but something didn’t feel right. When night was about to fall and my map was just finishing planting the bombs in the blighted tree I figured we wouldn’t complete Diarmid in time. If we did, it would be due to an amazing effort by everyone there. Then Diarmid died in like 10 seconds.

Personally I enjoyed the difficulty in BWE1 and BWE2. I can’t say for certain whether BWE2 was easier than the first as I had experience with the enemies and zone on the second go around that may have affected my perception, but I spent more time in BWE2 and it felt good. It was challenging, but didn’t feel like being squeezed through a meat grinder.

As I understand it, one of the core tenets of Guild Wars 2 is content does not become obsolete. Even if you are level 80 you can still go back to Wayfarer foothills and enjoy yourself without 1 shotting everything. It will be easier than otherwise, but its still there to do. That means, even when HoT releases, there’s still the entire core game that should be worth doing. I’m sure there will be new players who want to rush to 80 to play the new content because almost every other MMO has taught them than an expansion invalidates everything before, but here that content should still matter. A new player should start their trek from their starter zone to Lion’s Arch and following their personal story make their way to Orr. From there they experience the post release content like Silverwastes (which they’ll have to go through to reach any HoT content). All this time they’ll be moving through increasingly difficulty content. So my view is all this should be preparing them for an even greater challenge. During BWE3 I think Verdant Brink is easier than the Silverwastes so we’ve gone backwards.

I’ll echo the sentiment of others in this thread. During the past beta events it felt like we were in the dragon’s domain. We were unwelcome there and progress though the jungle was earned. Each new waypoint was a victory inching us closer to the dragon. It reminded me of my first time in Orr, pre-nerf, being around 70 in a mix of blues in greens. You didn’t want to set out alone, you wanted to move in small groups. I never formally partied up, just players helping each other without exchanging a word because we all wanted to see what was hiding beyond that gate.

Masteries felt important because it felt like some of the developers have said, that you’re mastering the jungle. So while running past mobs was a bad idea in VB, you gained access to gliding and mushrooms that allowed you to bypass them, making it easier to traverse the jungle.

So please, reconsider this move. At least bring difficulty back in line with BWE2. The game needs such a challenge in the open world. Even if VB is supposed to be the “starter zone” of HoT, if the other areas are as difficult as BWE2 was, the current difficulty will do nothing to prepare players for it.

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Why?
Just why?

Posted by: Magusdood.8405

Magusdood.8405

I specifically checked the forums for a thread like this after seeing on Reddit that other people felt this way.
HoT was the last chance for some open world challenge. BW2 was tough, but fair. We need more of that in this game.

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

signed. BWE2 was fun, this is just a snoozefest

This. Actually the first part of VB in BW1 was WAY better then this.
Revenants can basically 1-AA-combo-KO everything here.

Posted by: Dark Sentry.1270

Dark Sentry.1270

The ease at which the mobs die now and how little damage they do makes the zone feel too easy and not as much fun. The 2nd issue is that there’s no build up to raids if you don’t challenge the players. Mastery is supposed to be necessary to deal with the armor of mordremoth’s minions, or the toxin of the hyliek. When we do get these masteries now it will be so trivial and unnecessary. They should be challenging as to build player skill for raids and feel the progression that the mastery system is supposed to implement.

I really enjoy the specific classes of enemies that have different abilities and attacks. It feels like gw1 where the enemies have classes too. This class system of enemies may help players learn to fight players and lower the entry barrier into spvp, opening up a whole new aspect of the game for them. The people who are playing hot in the new zones are level 80s, there’s guides and a very helpful community playerbase. If you make a hard zone where players struggle, the community will band together and help each other to overcome the zone. It will feel more like a real accomplishment. If I can do everything myself then what’s the point in helping others. Gw2 has an amazing community and I feel the nerf to the damage and hp of mobs should be reverted to bwe2 levels. You guys had it right the first time. It should feel almost like bwe3 (but not quite) after we play in the zone for months.

Posted by: Selkirk.4218

Selkirk.4218

why should the trash mobs be really hard? what’s the appeal of fighting each mob for a blue or a green? without actual loot/drops why fight these ‘tough’ monsters?

this debate about the strength or lack thereof of various mobs has only exposed the real issue-the verdant brink map is stale and boring. i log in for 30 mins each bwe then promptly log out and never go back.

the events are poorly designed and the npc’s are bland (being charitable). the underlying content is the problem not the mobs.

(edited by Selkirk.4218)

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I wasn’t around for BWE2, but I did read many peoples feedbacks in these forums. Everyone that had constructive feedback reported that the mobs were very difficult. This was their opinion and those from the many people in map chat.

yes, and you forgot to mention the most important part: they found that mobs are difficult AND they loved it. Even in BWE1 (when mobs were even harder) people claimed that they like the challenge:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3g48ns/friday_feedback_hot_beta_weekend_1/

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Marcus Greythorne.6843

NOW I’M HAPPY AGAIN:

Colin:

It isnt intentional, we were happy with bwe2 difficulty. We will have to investigate what suddenly made it seem easier – was not the plan to do so.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3nc080/the_reason_why_they_nerfed_bwe3s_open_world/

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Marcus Greythorne.6843

YESSS

Colin:
It isnt intentional, we were happy with bwe2 difficulty. We will have to investigate what suddenly made it seem easier – was not the plan to do so.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3nc080/the_reason_why_they_nerfed_bwe3s_open_world/

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

ArenaNet, while I think the first map is a bit too easy, please do not increase the difficulty much. BWE#1 difficulty level may have been good for such an active time, but it was too difficult to be practical in release. Think about those players who work odd hours who will find themselves without much help at 3 AM. It’s almost where it needs to be in BWE#3 just a little more difficult. Also, please consider the value of keeping the first map less difficult, if all the maps in HoT are the same difficulty level then there is no real progression, the first map a player encounters should be about where things are now in BWE#3 because players will need to learn the dynamics of masteries: gliding, mushrooms, etc… Again, I think it’s about where it needs to be and you’re hearing a lot of complaining from players who aren’t considering these things; players who spent 6-12 hours (some more) in BWE#1 who don’t remember what it was like coming in for the first time and who aren’t considering the sustainability. They are only thinking of their experience and not considering what’s best for the game long term..

Posted by: Darkchief.5468

Darkchief.5468

I’ve seen plenty of criticism over the nerf to the difficulty in Verdant Brink but haven’t seen this specific criticism brought up.

In previous betas, the jungle was DIFFICULT. Going out solo, I felt like I was seriously in danger. It created a sense of excitement. But even more than that, when I unlocked gliding or jumping mushrooms, for example, it felt extremely rewarding! That is because not only did it allow for quicker navigation through the jungle, but it allowed safer navigation as well. I truly felt like I had grown as a player and learned a skill that would give me a better chance of survival.

Now, with the jungle mobs being much easier, I don’t look forward to the masteries as much. Now, they just feel like a way of just gating content out, whereas before I loved the benefits I got from them. Gliding and Jumping mushrooms are now just a way to reach locked out areas and travel a bit faster, rather than having the added benefit of keeping you safer. It feels much less rewarding.

Thoughts?

Marcus Greythorne.6843

YESSS

Colin:

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

I agree, difficulty in BWE2 was much better

Absolutely. Needs to go back to BWE2 difficulty or the Zerk meta will win once again. No reason to play any of my support builds this weekend:/

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Bandit.8279

Colin:

Totally agree OP. No reason to play anything other than DPS builds this weekend. Luckily this was not intended to be!

Posted by: Darkchief.5468

Darkchief.5468

Awesome, that’s great news!

Posted by: gamerinachair.4057

gamerinachair.4057

YESSS

Colin:

YAAAASSSSS!! :D

“If we do not end war, war will end us.” -H.G. Wells

Bandit.8279

Yea…supporting the zerk meta and killing build diversity is good for the game long term?

There is no need to play anything other than DPS this weekend and it makes me really sad. I really enjoyed my support Tempest during BWE2 because I felt NEEDED and it was rewarding to know that my support contribution may have turned the tide in some instances.

Even during BWE2 you could still roam around by yourself or in small groups but you just had to be smart about it and/or make tougher more durable builds.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

ArenaNet, while I think the first map is a bit too easy, please do not increase the difficulty much. BWE#1 difficulty level may have been good for such an active time, but it was too difficult to be practical in release. Think about those players who work odd hours who will find themselves without much help at 3 AM. It’s almost where it needs to be in BWE#3 just a little more difficult. Also, please consider the value of keeping the first map less difficult, if all the maps in HoT are the same difficulty level then there is no real progression, the first map a player encounters should be about where things are now in BWE#3 because players will need to learn the dynamics of masteries: gliding, mushrooms, etc… Again, I think it’s about where it needs to be and you’re hearing a lot of complaining from players who aren’t considering these things; players who spent 6-12 hours (some more) in BWE#1 who don’t remember what it was like coming in for the first time and who aren’t considering the sustainability. They are only thinking of their experience and not considering what’s best for the game long term..

What you are writing about is mostly a scaling issue. Arenanet must find a decent scaling model for the maps so that few players can succeed just as many players. There is absolutely no justification for the expansion maps being easier than existing content considering they and the expansion provide a bigger pve variaty of skills. I do agree though that the first map can and maybe should be easier than the other 3 HoT maps.

If you are talking about longevity of the game, making the maps to easy is the worst they can do. To hard content can be nerfed or reduced in difficulty. If you do the same with to easy content, people will get offended that players in the past had it so much easier to get rewards. If they absolutely can’t find a balance, they should make the maps a tad harder than needed, then rebalance 2-3 weeks after HoT launch based on how the player population spreads out.

Posted by: Dunan Atreides.5436

Dunan Atreides.5436

Signed.

I didn’t get to play the previous betas, but going from the personal story alone, It was rather boring.

The content did not encourage me to look deeper into my DragonHunter build, I just kind of blindly clicked buttons and got through the instance.

I’ll echo the sentiment of not feeling like this is dangerous territory – story and atmosphere suffer greatly. I felt very passive in the fight where rytlock comes in, it felt like I was in the Ascalon Settlemrnt or Harathi Hinterlands just waiting for mobs to appear and mow them down.

We aren’t in Kryta anymore, so it shouldn’t feel that way.

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

I can tell you one thing that’s happening. No snipers!! I was excited to use poison cloud on those kitten things but they never showed up to the slaughter.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

YESSSS

Colin Johanson:

Hey folks,
Coming out of beta weekend two we were really happy with the over all open world difficulty. The only exceptions were that the wyvern was way too easy and didn’t scale well, and mushroom stompers were a little much. Thats all that should have changed for bwe3 – we will have to look into what the issue is here to find out why its being perceived kitten much easier. Simple version: we also liked bwe2 difficulty.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3na4rx/bwe3_open_world_pve_nerved/

gamerinachair.4057

We now have confirmation that it was unintentional, so now we can stop making endless threads on it!

Marcus Greythorne.6843

YESSS

Colin:

Posted by: TamTiTam.9574

TamTiTam.9574

4. Casuals like Challenge
Without challenge, be it in skills oder decisions, repeated RPG-Fights are most likely experienced as grind (even pure relaxation games work better with some kind of challenge).
And to continue to offer challenge, you may need rising difficulty.
Of course, there is also story and exploration in the Open-World. But why bother putting all those monsters in, if they are only mere annoyances?

(I am sure, this is nothing new for ArenaNet. They hopefully will increase difficulty for the finished product).

Bandit.8279

I disagree. To be fair to ArenaNet, they are probably accounting for these zones being empty which happens sometimes. Players with odd schedules who can only play at 3 AM shouldn’t be punished. During BWE1 they were a bit too difficult, they do need to be bumped up a bit, but not too much. Difficulty should be comparable to Cursed Shore. The following maps should be more difficult than the first, if the first map we encounter in HoT is as difficult as all that follow it destroys the progression experience. Not good. Also the first map is a place to learn gliding, mushrooms, etc… It is to an extent a training area.

I jump into SW at 3am and there is always a full map or two. There are megaservers for a reason and when HoT goes live you will be able to find HoT maps full of players IF the Risk vs Reward is similar to other successful maps.

Plus, too easy kills build diversity and the Zerk meta wins yet again. This is an MMO where playing with others should be encouraged. If your skilled enough and/or can put together a tougher build then you could even, during BWE2, run off by yourself.

I think BWE2 was the sweet spot but no matter what happens it definitely has to be much harder than it is for BWE3. Luckily Colin has confirmed this nerf was not intended.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

YESSS

Colin:

Good to hear… However, yet again ANet responds somewhere other than their own forums.

Posted by: Gralsh.9458

Gralsh.9458

/signed

Open world content is too easy to be fun in many areas of the game. To see this trend continue in the expansion would definately take the wind out of my sails…and I so very much want to spread the good word of Arenanet and HoT (so very much about your game is phenominal).

Help us be excited about the driection of the game.

No risk: no reward (fun).

Posted by: TamTiTam.9574

TamTiTam.9574

YESSS

Colin:

Ah. Good to hear.

Bandit.8279

Colin:

Whether or not this statement from Colin also refers to the PS mission I have no idea. But at least HoT Open World was not meant to be this easy and boring for BWE3.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

YESSS

Colin:

YAAAASSSSS!!

Wasn’t here for BWE2, but please tell me it wasn’t Orr difficulty pre-patched. Sure they fixed what caused the main problem with that place as Ranger, but I still have nightmares…so many Risen, SO MANY! No, don’t go over there devourer, you’ll pull them! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! gets swarmed by 12 and dies

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

To emphasize your post so that more people see it

ArenaColin
Hey folks,
Coming out of beta weekend two we were really happy with the over all open world difficulty. The only exceptions were that the wyvern was way too easy and didn’t scale well, and mushroom stompers were a little much. Thats all that should have changed for bwe3 – we will have to look into what the issue is here to find out why its being perceived as ’so much easier. Simple version: we also liked bwe2 difficulty.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

It’s simple:

• How do I kill these guys?
    is better than
  • I got to kill this guys.

Honestly ArenaNet, don’t be afraid to challenge your players. So far the Modern Sniper keeps me on my toes, that’s it. Lame.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They said the nerf was unintentional

ArenaColin
Hey folks,
Coming out of beta weekend two we were really happy with the over all open world difficulty. The only exceptions were that the wyvern was way too easy and didn’t scale well, and mushroom stompers were a little much. Thats all that should have changed for bwe3 – we will have to look into what the issue is here to find out why its being perceived kitten much easier. Simple version: we also liked bwe2 difficulty.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

gamerinachair.4057

YESSS

Colin:

YAAAASSSSS!! :D

Wasn’t here for BWE2, but please tell me it wasn’t Orr difficulty pre-patched. Sure they fixed what caused the main problem with that place as Ranger, but I still have nightmares…so many Risen, SO MANY! No, don’t go over there devourer, you’ll pull them! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! gets swarmed by 12 and dies

The reason BWE2 difficulty was, imo, the best, is because the mobs were actually a challenge to defeat. The way they were built made it so that you had to break away from the usual ‘spam 1 while standing still’ mentality that you have with the rest of the PvE open world stuff. It wasn’t simply a matter of them being super-rock-hard and they win simply by out-living you, but the way they attacked, you had to actually try and time your dodges, figure out their patterns, and overcome them through thinking rather than brute strength. It was a true and honest challenge, rather than everything is tougher/stronger than you. But this BWE… I personally haven’t played it, but my friends have described that the AI is the same, but they take 3 hits to kill, and do about as much damage as a wet noodle. I personally liked the challenge set forth by these new mobs, so I was really happy when I heard it was unintentional.

gamerinachair.4057

To emphasize your post so that more people see it

ArenaColin
Hey folks,
Coming out of beta weekend two we were really happy with the over all open world difficulty. The only exceptions were that the wyvern was way too easy and didn’t scale well, and mushroom stompers were a little much. Thats all that should have changed for bwe3 – we will have to look into what the issue is here to find out why its being perceived as ’so much easier. Simple version: we also liked bwe2 difficulty.

Thanks.

Posted by: Isarii.2804

Isarii.2804

YESSS

Colin:

Great! I’ve updated the OP to include this so the pitchforks can be put away.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

we need a thread merge

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Beta Weekend 2 vs 3:

Lmao

Posted by: Gralsh.9458

Gralsh.9458

soooooooo glad to hear it! Yays!

Thanks for the update and clarification!

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I feel like the overall difficulty of verdant brink has increased. Aside from the nerfed mushrooms (seriously…those things were broken AF) every enemy with a break bar got more difficult, as breakbars are now (for the most part) way overtuned.

So no more wading into groups of veteran punishers and mass interrupting their hammer time. And I have yet to see the wyvern’s break bar move more than 10 pixels.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Preserver.8457

Preserver.8457

Throwing in my $0.02:

I’ve pre-purchased HoT, but I haven’t tried the new zones yet. I do see people making various comparisons to Orr though. If the new zones are as hard or harder than current Orr, I am not interested in playing them. Polling the people I’ve recruited into GW2 via sales and F2P, they wouldn’t be interested in playing them either (or purchasing HoT, in some cases).

It’s not that Orr is unbeatable; it’s that it’s tedious and annoying. In my opinion, it’s better to err of the side of being too easy, because the focus can fall back to exploration. If you err on the side of being too hard, your average player will just quit.

I am obviously in the tiny minority on these forums, but I don’t think I’m in the minority in general. I think online forums in general lend themselves to machismo and attract players that are invested in doing difficult things to get their thrills. The rest of us just want easy fun. (L2p scrub, etc, etc.)

(edited by Preserver.8457)

gamerinachair.4057

soooooooo glad to hear it! Yays!

Thanks for the update and clarification! :D

No problem. :)

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I like that mindlessly smacking piles of monsters doesn’t cut it anymore. I was beating away at the starting instance for beta characters and realized I wasn’t gonna get anywhere unless I targeted the menders first. Suddenly I remembered GW1 where you often had to make such considerations in high level content. My brain could benefit from being turned back on. :P

gamerinachair.4057

I like that mindlessly smacking piles of monsters doesn’t cut it anymore. I was beating away at the starting instance for beta characters and realized I wasn’t gonna get anywhere unless I targeted the menders first. Suddenly I remembered GW1 where you often had to make such considerations in high level content. My brain could benefit from being turned back on. :P

Exactly my thoughts! I personally thoroughly enjoy fighting enemies with actual skill rather than just spam 1 and done. It makes it seem like our characters might actually be living things rather than mindless robots.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

as breakbars are now (for the most part) way overtuned.

I don’t think so, I think most people have no idea about the mechanics. I’m a medium skilled player and I’m reading all the news about GW2, so I know about this mechanic. When I fought this Nuhoch-champion (?) today I noticed that nobody seemed to use cc skills since the bar didn’t move a bit. So I tried to use a soft cc myself (chill). The bar moved noticebly.

This means that if more players would have used cc, the bar would have gone done quite fast. Odd thing though: it didn’t regenerate. I could, slowly but better than nothing, deplete the bar on my own. It was crazy. Even when I posted in mapchat that you should use cc skills nobody did.

Posted by: Atharian.7092

Atharian.7092

I wanted to test Reaper in AoE situations, so I could check out my sustain and damage rates. I struggled to pull enough enemies together to even get a general idea. I stopped bothering with the beta as it does not reflect what the difficulty will be like.

(edited by Atharian.7092)

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Firstly, not every player will be happy no matter what. That’s a simple fact.

Secondly every player has another meaning of the word difficult.

Player A says this content is way to easy while player B might be struggling with it. That makes player A and B both unhappy. While if open world pve stays on the easier side just player A is unhappy. Player A is allowed to be unhappy however because open world pve shouldn’t be a difficult challenge. Player A now has raids, and higher level fractals.

Me personally, I don’t get to play much video games. I’m the first to admit I’m not as skilled as others players. So I feel I should not be punished by making the easier parts of the game harder. Player A above has other things to do now so they can go do those, and think about player B who may be having a hard time with what you call easy. Open world pve should be left as it’s always been. This is my opinion on the matter. Thank you.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Most people saying they want hardcore, but they don’t actually. Fact showed that when it comes to hardcore content, most GW2 player base just ignore it when it’s too hard.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Not to mention gw2 just isn’t a hardcore game. It was a casual game with a great community

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Heart of Thorns is not for casual players. But in this kitten beta ArenaNet nerfed mobs and did everything easy and boring. HoT is supposed to be challenging endgame content. Now instead we get this boring content that is too easy, you can just hulk and smash everything. No one have to use their brain. Good job ArenaNet! you ruined your expansion. Beta 1 and 2 was a good challenge but this is a joke. Shame.

If you don’t change the difficulty back to harder mobs and content. Then I want my money back at launch.

(edited by Zoid.2568)