[BWE1 Feedback] Just some thoughts

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: bostrees.5306

bostrees.5306

Getting ready to play a toon…

• Would it be possible to get more specific gear for starting toons? Instead of a “Beta Gear Loot Box” why not a “Beta Profession Gear Loot Box” that would not include weapons unusable by the profession (accounting for elite specializations) to help minimize the time spent removing unwanted gear from inventory while trying out different builds
  • Also, could the gear from the boxes have a larger pool of stat combinations? It’s one of the biggest lists of options for stats we have as players, but certain stats (such as newer Nomad and Sinister) are missing. Personally, I’d love to see Giver’s armor on a boon-building Tempest as a support character, but that’s not an option either.

Elite Specializations…

• How/where will we acquire these? Right now, the only clue that we have these available is by going to the build page and seeing we were given the elite spec by default. Nothing shows up in the other tabs to show that we can obtain or use
  • Dragonhunter as a DPS was fun for me. I usually play a support healtank build with my guard, and I enjoyed longbow as a ranged option (backed up with classic GS for melee of course). Didn’t get much use out of the traps—they felt largely unneeded for the most part or not as effective as I’d anticipated. Overall, it felt vaguely like playing a holy ranger without the pet.
  • Reaper seems like a logical extension of the terrormancer build to me with a focus on melee with the GS. Didn’t play much of it because it doesn’t feel like it will be for me. My necro is a condi-spreader that looks like it will have some competition and/or synergy with Demon Stance revenants.
  • Tempest… Makes me wish I was better at playing the attunement-swapping game. I built my ele around staying in water attunement and swinging a lightning hammer so this one isn’t really for me either. I do think (as mentioned earlier) that with the right gear and build, this could be quite the support role
  • Didn’t bother with the chronomancer. Mesmer is my least favorite class and I barely have a phantasm sword/focus build that gets me by. Sorry ANet, nothing personal, but ya can’t please everyone on everything. At least I’m not going to mindlessly bash on it

Core Tyria…

• Map Bonus Rewards (am I saying that right?) Not entirely sure how the thing works, so here’s what I think I observed: 1) Map completed Brisban Wildlands; 2) Every event after that gave me a reward; 3) Reward was randomly drawn from the listed pool of items; 4) Reward alternated from Fine to Rare qualities
  • All I know is that if there’s an option in the game for more reliable sources of items needed for legendary and other crafting, I’m in. If only cooking would get as much love, it’s a devalued craft imo
  • Also, are these item pools for the rewards meant to be locked to each zone? As in I’ll always have to run Brisban to get my Silver Doubloons? Or will the item pools be dynamic, causing players to encounter more variety of zones in the world to obtain their desired rewards?
  • Also also, why can’t we view anything about Masteries in Core Tyria? I noticed while in the Verdant Brink, the Masteries tab was available in the Hero Menu (and indeed reflected I had built up some in Core Tyria, most likely from my mapping in Brisban) but it was unavailable in Core Tyria. I know we can’t get Mastery Points out in Tyria yet, but at least seeing our progress in the world would have been nice

Heart of Maguuma…

• Welp, I definitely need a better computer. My laptop isn’t much and already has issues running the game as well as I’d like it too. New stuff looks… I need a better computer to do it justice, I expect
  • Also, lots of troll-bait with the fact that we’re in the canopy, eh? Noticed a waypoint in front and below me, so I jump over the ledge towards it only to realize that there’s a giant gap between and it’s a lot further down than anticipated and I plummet to my doom. Fine by me, teaches me the lesson to look before I leap, no worries. Make my way back towards there again, and I get knocked off a ledge from behind by a Veteran mob that I had apparently aggro’d on accident. -_-;

Revenant…

• Oh. Man. I was already considering rolling a support Centaur stance rev but now it’s clinched… at least until the inevitable nerfs. I think a lot of people underestimate the capabilities in healtanking with this profession. I’ve been able to solo or duo nearly any Champion level mob in Core Tyria I ran this against (albeit most of them slowly, there’s something oddly satisfying about slaying Kol Skullsmasher single handedly). Mostly the build needs a little oomph by way of someone that can provide stability or reflects as well as damage, but I had ran solo through about half of AC story mode with the same build. Lots of potential here in support roles as well

bostrees.5306

(wouldn’t let me post it all as one message)
Overall…

• Maybe it’s just the way I look at toons in games like this, but everything new seems to be fairly support oriented. Not sure how well it all works (for instance, I don’t see Dragonhunter as being very supportive. Seems more control oriented but not particularly great at any of it) but I like it in general
  • Dragonhunter feels more of a clone of ranger than a “new role to play” or whatever the idea behind elite specs was supposed to be
  • Reaper feels like an extension of an existing build, which is kind of cool if you’re into that but it’s not for me
  • Tempest seems like it will be useful for building boons and spreading them as well as applying auras. Frontline support is great but I fear for how fragile scholars are in general
  • Revenant seems like it’s trying to be everything all at once. It also feels as though it’s far more versatile than any other profession can be. It can switch roles of Damage/Support/Control in combat in a way that no other class can—hotswapping utility skills in combat. I like the mechanics of the profession so far, but being able to start in combat in Shiro Stance for a direct damage onslaught, then not only swap into Demon Stance but change weapon sets as well, giving you 10 new skills to utilize? Seems like it could be cause for balance issues
  • Masteries seems like a simple progression system, but with talk of having 39 mastery lines at HoT launch I want to be assured that the Mastery Points themselves (especially in Core Tyria) will be plentiful to obtain. With so many masteries, you know that people will try to max them all out ;P
  • Can’t wait to have Map Bonus Rewards in place

bostrees.5306

OH yeah and a fridge-thought possible bugs—Dragonhunter using longbow attack 1 won’t automatically position the DH towards the enemy first, resulting it lots of No Line of Sight cases. Sword skills #3+5 for Revenant seem to have issues with the shadowstepping mechanic tweaking out over various bits of terrain