Back to basics ANET

Back to basics ANET

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

It seems ANET wanted to try to be like other mmo’s with certain things that were done in HoT.

1- Bizarre one way to acquire gear acquisition. Some are achieves, some are raids etc. One things for sure; laurels for loyalty became less interesting to them. There’s no need to force people into the hardest endgame content for things everyone uses. Percentage of people who raid regularly will always be a minority.

2- Mastery….gates behind gates, behind gates. Once again, one path to success for mastery achieves. Not everyone likes your adventures:P. Keep it simple stupid is how gw2 started and it worked for them.

3- Making promises you can’t keep- Legendary’s, new fractals, bug fixes for essential items like LFG taking forever (still have to post twice to get a new description to work in fractals after someone leaves, and usually someone has already joined by that time and have to explain what lv.s are actually being done). but bug fixes have always been an issue for anet though ….I digress.

Since the release of Hot those have been the glaring ones for me anyways. I don’t pvp in this game so I have no Idea what that community thinks.

As a side note: I hope the legendary team wasn’t just pulled simply to work on the next money maker expansion (if they don’t fix issues here first, they’ll just find many people unwilling to even buy it).

Just so this post isn’t all Debbie Downer, I’ll say I think ANET did a superb job on making Hot zone maps fun to explore and I still enjoy the events and meta’s on several of the maps. I think that the concept of mastery’s was and still is a good implementation with perhaps some tweaks needed. This is the most artistically creative mmo I’ve played.

Back to basics ANET

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

It seems ANET wanted to try to be like other mmo’s with certain things that were done in HoT.

1- Bizarre one way to acquire gear acquisition. Some are achieves, some are raids etc. One things for sure; laurels for loyalty became less interesting to them. There’s no need to force people into the hardest endgame content for things everyone uses. Percentage of people who raid regularly will always be a minority.

2- Mastery….gates behind gates, behind gates. Once again, one path to success for mastery achieves. Not everyone likes your adventures:P. Keep it simple stupid is how gw2 started and it worked for them.

3- Making promises you can’t keep- Legendary’s, new fractals, bug fixes for essential items like LFG taking forever (still have to post twice to get a new description to work in fractals after someone leaves, and usually someone has already joined by that time and have to explain what lv.s are actually being done). but bug fixes have always been an issue for anet though ….I digress.

Since the release of Hot those have been the glaring ones for me anyways. I don’t pvp in this game so I have no Idea what that community thinks.

As a side note: I hope the legendary team wasn’t just pulled simply to work on the next money maker expansion (if they don’t fix issues here first, they’ll just find many people unwilling to even buy it).

Just so this post isn’t all Debbie Downer, I’ll say I think ANET did a superb job on making Hot zone maps fun to explore and I still enjoy the events and meta’s on several of the maps. I think that the concept of mastery’s was and still is a good implementation with perhaps some tweaks needed. This is the most artistically creative mmo I’ve played.

Oh man I was with you there until that last paragraph where you went all “Rainbows, Unicorns and lolipops” on it lol

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Back to basics ANET

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t disagree with the general criticism, but you do your ideas a disservice by confusing the examples:

Bizarre one way to acquire gear acquisition. Some are achieves, some are raids etc. One things for sure; laurels for loyalty became less interesting to them. There’s no need to force people into the hardest endgame content for things everyone uses. Percentage of people who raid regularly will always be a minority.

There’s multiple ways to acquire gear; there is only one way to acquire skins that are guaranteed rewards for perseverance in certain game modes. People aren’t forced into the hardest end-game content for things that everyone uses.

Mastery….gates behind gates, behind gates. Once again, one path to success for mastery achieves. Not everyone likes your adventures:P. Keep it simple stupid is how gw2 started and it worked for them.

I hate adventures & I hate gating, but there are extra mastery points, so there are options for maxing them. (Admittedly, not as much as there are for ordinary leveling.)

Making promises you can’t keep- Legendary’s, new fractals, bug fixes for essential items like LFG taking forever

Technically, the only ‘promise’ ANet hasn’t kept is to release the new legendaries ‘regularly’. Everything else amounts to plans they made and dropped.

Again, I support the general idea that ANet has gotten away from keeping things simple, from offering multiple routes to character & account progression, and they lack focus when it comes to delivery. I just don’t think you cherry-picked the ripest examples.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”